Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone ever seen a 1975-S No "S" Proof Dime?

I think this coin is an urban myth. Has anyone actually seen one? Held it in your hand? Don't want to hear about your brother-in-laws college buddy's sister's boyfriend who saw one. I want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Edited title to change denomitation to Dime.

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean the dime?

I've heard various things about this. At the time they were reporting about 15 being in existence
    but now there are those saying it's just two or three.

I believe one of the papers (Numis News?) ran a picture of one.
    Tempus fugit.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The no S coin in the 1975 proof set is supposed to be the dime. I heard there were only 2 sets sent to the same person. She took them to a coin dealer, who said they weren't valuable and offered $10 per set. Fortunately, she said no and sold them to Fred Vollmer for I think something like $17K per set. Despite lots of people looking at a lot of 1975 proof sets, no one has found another. Source of all of this: I don't know/remember. Anyone else have any info on it? Anyone that has discussed this with Fred Vollmer?

Edit: Cladking and I have discussed this in an earlier pm, we haven't found evidence that there are more than two.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

<< <i>The no S coin in the 1975 proof set is supposed to be the dime. I heard there were only 2 sets sent to the same person. She took them to a coin dealer, who said they weren't valuable and offered $10 per set. Fortunately, she said no and sold them to Fred Vollmer for I think something like $17K per set. Despite lots of people looking at a lot of 1975 proof sets, no one has found another. Source of all of this: I don't know/remember. Anyone else have any info on it? Anyone that has discussed this with Fred Vollmer?

Edit: Cladking and I have discussed this in an earlier pm, we haven't found evidence that there are more than two. >>

Actually it did come up but I don't remember anything more than that he bought them.
    Tempus fugit.
    Thank you, Cladking. I don't know if Fred Vollmer bought them or not, but this story sounds like it came out of one of the coin papers. I've never seen one anywhere, nor have I seen a 1975 No S proof dime. I seem to remember that the dealers who dealt in No S proof sets always advertised buy prices, but I don't remember ever seeing a sell price for this set. Maybe someone should check with the coin papers.

<< <i>Thank you, Cladking. I don't know if Fred Vollmer bought them or not, but this story sounds like it came out of one of the coin papers. I've never seen one anywhere, nor have I seen a 1975 No S proof dime. I seem to remember that the dealers who dealt in No S proof sets always advertised buy prices, but I don't remember ever seeing a sell price for this set. Maybe someone should check with the coin papers. >>

I'm not absolutely certain but it came up when we were discussing the possibility
    that no one was setting aside the new '75 and '76 dimes because they were too
    busy with the bicentennial quarters. It looks like they did miss these except for the
    '75-D. He traded a lot of proof sets and mentioned the significant number of some
    of the No-S sets he'd encountered (and Sm Dts).

Tempus fugit.
    Does anyone have more information on the very rare 1975 No S proof dime/proof set?

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this coin is an urban myth. Has anyone actually seen one? Held it in your hand? Don't want to hear about your brother-in-laws college buddy's sister's boyfriend who saw one. I want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Edited title to change denomitation to Dime. >>

Yes, I handled the discovery piece when it was sent in to Coin World. Definitely a Proof strike. Definitely no mint mark on the die that struck it.

It does exist.

Tom DeLorey
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Tom, YOU THE MAN! Are you aware of any others, and how many do you think there are?

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The is what the Coin Forum is all about, folks.
    I have never heard that there were more than two, but anything is possible.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I recall in the past two years that William Atkinson responded to the affirmative on this forum.
    In his post he wrote that he was working at Coin World in 1975 when the 1975 No 'S' proof
    dimes were sent to Collector's Clearinghouse.

One has to wonder if the ultimate truth is only two were struck & released or are there others
    out waiting to be discovered. Kind of reminds me of the 1969-S DDO 1c. Certainly not all those
    released have been discovered????? Hope blooms eternal; I buy every OBW roll of 69-S 1c.
    So far . . . . . . . NADA!
  • I am sorry for such a dumb question, but how do you know it suppose to be a "S" coin. I know there must be another way of telling other than the Mint Mark. Is this the same as what I read, that there is a coin or coins out there that are suppose to have a "P", but are missing the P even though a lot of coins done in Philly don't always show the Mint Mark. How is this proven? Thank you.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    friend, in 1975 all proof coins had an S mintmark. That's how they know this proof dime was supposed to have an S.

The coin you refer to with a missing "P" mintmark is the 1982 dime. All 1982 dimes had mintmarks, but some turned up without one. The mintmark wasn't put on the die by accident. I don't remember how they determined the dimes were from Philadelphia, but it's never been questioned.

Now if a coin sometimes has a mintmark and sometimes does not, there would be (almost) no way to know if the mintmark was supposed to be there. For example, take the 1922 "no D" Lincoln cent. The only way we know that those coins have a missing mintmark is because they did not mint any cents in Philadelphia that year, so the coins which LOOKED like 1922 plain cents had to be from Denver, with a missing mintmark.

Does that answer your question?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Tom and I shared an office at Coin World when the set came in, so I saw it as well.

William T. Gibbs
    News Editor
    Coin World

<< <i>friend, in 1975 all proof coins had an S mintmark. That's how they know this proof dime was supposed to have an S.

The coin you refer to with a missing "P" mintmark is the 1982 dime. All 1982 dimes had mintmarks, but some turned up without one. The mintmark wasn't put on the die by accident. I don't remember how they determined the dimes were from Philadelphia, but it's never been questioned.

Now if a coin sometimes has a mintmark and sometimes does not, there would be (almost) no way to know if the mintmark was supposed to be there. For example, take the 1922 "no D" Lincoln cent. The only way we know that those coins have a missing mintmark is because they did not mint any cents in Philadelphia that year, so the coins which LOOKED like 1922 plain cents had to be from Denver, with a missing mintmark.

Does that answer your question? >>

The 1982 "No P" dime were discovered in Cleveland and Sandusky Ohio among Philadelphia Mint coins released in those areas. I believe that some were found in original rolls of 1982-P dimes.
    TD
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I apologize for recalling the wrong name in my previous post. Perhaps it was William Gibbs and was NOT
    William Atkinson who worked at Coin World in 1975 and saw the dimes in question. image

<< <i>I apologize for recalling the wrong name in my previous post. Perhaps it was William Gibbs and was NOT
    William Atkinson who worked at Coin World in 1975 and saw the dimes in question. image >>

I don't believe Mr. Atkinson was associated with Coin World until the mid-'80's. He led
    the consumer crusade for education.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>

The 1982 "No P" dime were discovered in Cleveland and Sandusky Ohio among Philadelphia Mint coins released in those areas. I believe that some were found in original rolls of 1982-P dimes.
    TD >>

Many of them came back from the Cedar Point amusement park at the end of the season
    in fresh bags of '82-P dimes. There were also smaller discoveries in Pittsburgh and in the
    east. A surprisingly large percentage of these were recovered in uncirculated condition
    considering the era and this was largely because of the Sandusky release. They are still
    found in circulation once in a while.
    Tempus fugit.
  • TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I remeber one of the guys who bought the 1982 No P dimes that he bought a bunch from a bank teller. Said the lady started crying because she was going to use the money to buy a house. Pretty good story.

I guess with two reliable confirmations I believe the coin exists and will not consider it a urban legend. Pretty interesting stuff.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redbook lists the 75 no S dime proof set, at 46k. Love to own one
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ttt >>

A 5 year old thread resurrected with a simple 'ttt'? Does someone (EagleEye) know something that wasn't fully known 5 years ago??? Does someone (EagleEye) know where there is one, or even own one personally??? I know it's got my interest piqued, as I wasn't aware of this coin (remember, I'm kinda a young 'un).
    I'll come up with something.
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 617 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ttt >>

A 5 year old thread resurrected with a simple 'ttt'? Does someone (EagleEye) know something that wasn't fully known 5 years ago??? Does someone (EagleEye) know where there is one, or even own one personally??? I know it's got my interest piqued, as I wasn't aware of this coin (remember, I'm kinda a young 'un). >>

Agreed. Interesting bump.
  • Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1975 “No S” Proof Roosevelt Dime emerged as the rarest of this error type. An extremely small number of proof coins missing the mint mark were released. The coins were so rare that they were not discovered until 1978 when two examples surfaced. These coins are now considered one of the major rarities of the 20th century with an estimated 2 to 5 pieces known. No examples have been graded by either PCGS or NGC. >>

Link
    Rob the Newbie
    Given the link that Rob85635 gave us, they state none have been graded by our hosts, OR ATS....I'd imagine if there were any, the owner/owners would WANT them authenticated. Personally, I believe this to be a coin worth much more out of the OGP, and in either company's holder. Could it be a few are in those 'little white slabs' (though I see none in their pop report)??

As an aside, I found 'their' designations strange....there is, in proof, the following:
    PR
    PRCM
    PRHC
    PROC

I think it's obvious PR is 'proof', PRCM is a 'cameo', PRHC is probably 'heavy cameo', much like our hosts DCAM, but what the he!! does PROC mean...can anyone enlighten me??? Thanks!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I just love reading the "information giants" posts on some of these obscure coins! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • OC= One side Cameo? Just a shot in the dark?
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    are there pictures of this coin? If so, I'd like to see it!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750

<< <i>Given the link that Rob85635 gave us, they state none have been graded by our hosts, OR ATS....I'd imagine if there were any, the owner/owners would WANT them authenticated. Personally, I believe this to be a coin worth much more out of the OGP, and in either company's holder. Could it be a few are in those 'little white slabs' (though I see none in their pop report)??

As an aside, I found 'their' designations strange....there is, in proof, the following:
    PR
    PRCM
    PRHC
    PROC

I think it's obvious PR is 'proof', PRCM is a 'cameo', PRHC is probably 'heavy cameo', much like our hosts DCAM, but what the he!! does PROC mean...can anyone enlighten me??? Thanks! >>

HC = heavy cameo
    OC = obverse cameo
  • How weird. I just made my first post with my new name yesterday. I used to be thenumish but never really liked the name. Still haven't seen a 75 no S dime.

Keeping the avatar because it was my dog.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always pay close attention to 61, 68, 70, 75, 79, 81, 83, and 90 proof sets.
    2011 RB lists the 1975 "no S" dime proof set at $46k.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Given the link that Rob85635 gave us, they state none have been graded by our hosts, OR ATS....I'd imagine if there were any, the owner/owners would WANT them authenticated. Personally, I believe this to be a coin worth much more out of the OGP, and in either company's holder. Could it be a few are in those 'little white slabs' (though I see none in their pop report)??

PR
    PRCM
    PRHC
    PROC

I think it's obvious PR is 'proof', PRCM is a 'cameo', PRHC is probably 'heavy cameo', much like our hosts DCAM, but what the he!! does PROC mean...can anyone enlighten me??? Thanks! >>

Originally, CM was Cameo, HC was Heavy Cameo, and OC was Obverse Cameo. Since there is no premium for a Reverse Cameo, it was not used. A few years ago they went to DCAM instead of Heavy Cameo, so HC now translates to DCAM (Deep Cameo).
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Given the link that Rob85635 gave us, they state none have been graded by our hosts, OR ATS....I'd imagine if there were any, the owner/owners would WANT them authenticated. >>

It sounds like they have been authenticated. It's just that slabs thankfully did not exist back then. Thus no reason to "re-authenticate" or remove it from the proof set (assuming they have not been already). I imagine the numismatists who both want and can afford these coins won't mind a lack of a slab; I'm not sure of other people though.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    Maybe years back James Sego had one for sale ..............

so ; only a few exist

..........I will have one image
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you back, Jay!!
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone wants to make a nice donation, I would not mind starting a Roosie Proof Reg Set....with THAT COIN! Wowzers...neat to read about it, thanks for the post.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Yes. Welcome back TwistedArrow.

Now all I have to do is remember who you were. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like Dr Brown's casual post a few years ago on the registry forum. Link >>

The thread ended with "pm sent". Love it. I wonder if a deal was brokered. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>

<< <i>I like Dr Brown's casual post a few years ago on the registry forum. Link >>

The thread ended with "pm sent". Love it. I wonder if a deal was brokered. image >>

Stewart Blay WOULD be one to have one of these...even though it isn't copper. I wonder.......

edited....somehow my avatar got changed, 'Jim' isnt in the list, so, I'll have to do with this Lincoln (not that anything is wrong with them) for 2 weeks.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    how come there is still no picture of this rarity?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    HA Link
    Heritage offered a five piece no S proof set of coins, it did not sell and did not include a specimen 75 s. If the link does not work you may have to sign in.

<< <i>how come there is still no picture of this rarity? >>

It is so rare that any pictures that exist likely belong to the owners. Maybe someone knows someone who knows someone who owns one of the 75 no s proof dimes and maybe they will have them post a pic.
    Rob the Newbie

• << <i>how come there is still no picture of this rarity? >>

A few years back someone posted a picture of a 1975 no s dime with the obverse and reverse, no slab. Iirc it was the set registry forum. I did a quick search but could'nt find the topic or pic.

• << <i>

<< <i>how come there is still no picture of this rarity? >>

A few years back someone posted a picture of a 1975 no s dime with the obverse and reverse, no slab. Iirc it was the set registry forum. I did a quick search but could'nt find the topic or pic. >>

Never mind, I found the thread. Stooge had the pic.

so this dime is rarer then rare -

what is the NGC pop ?
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a real image or a photoshopped 1975-S dime? Any way to tell?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
    only 2 specimens known....

seemingly on of the rarest coins on the planet
    .the 68 S less dime has only about a dozen pieces known ...I would take that too

<< <i>image

Is this a real image or a photoshopped 1975-S dime? Any way to tell? >>

It has to be real! Photoshop did not exist in 1975!

That looks about the way I remember it, though I must admit that my memory isn't what it used to be. Ditto my hairline and my waistline.

TD
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Is this a real image or a photoshopped 1975-S dime? Any way to tell? >>

Open the pic up in photoshop and check for layers.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file