Home U.S. Coin Forum

Toned Sacagawea Dollars...what the ?

With all the technology and testing, I was sure the Sacagawea was impervious to toning, (oxidization) especially in it's short term of exsistance, until toned specimens started popping up in auction ads. ~scratching head~

Synopsis:

Sacagawea Golden Dollar

Is a three-layer “clad” system of manganese, brass and copper.

A special alloy was produced for the coin that matches the electro-magnetic signature, size and weight of the SBA, allowing the Golden Dollar to be used in millions of coin-operated machines nationwide that currently accept the SBA.

Composition: Manganese-Brass

88.5% Cu
6% Zn
3.5% Mn
2% Ni

Cu Cuprum (copper)
Zn Zinc
Mn Manganese
Ni Nickel

*Copper occupies the same family of the periodic table as silver and gold, because it shares many characteristics with these metals. All have very high thermal and electrical conductivity. All are malleable metals.
*The most widely used alloy of zinc is brass, in which copper is alloyed with anywhere from 9% to 45% zinc, depending upon the type of brass, along with much smaller amounts of lead and tin.
*Manganese is essential to iron and steel production by virtue of its sulfur-fixing, deoxidizing, and alloying properties. It is very occasionally used in coins; the only United States coins to use manganese were the "Wartime" nickel from 1942–1945, and the Sacagawea Dollar (2000–present)
*On account of its permanence in air and inertness to oxidation, it is used in the smaller coins, for plating iron, brass, etc., for chemical apparatus, and in certain alloys, as German silver.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Comments

• keezkeez Posts: 842
    They tone. I have some that toned from being in the original roll wrapper since 2000.
  • copper, brass and bronze oxidize and react faster with the elements that it is exposed to more than say a nickel-clad coin. from what i`ve seen they either tone nice or they tone real nasty. i`ve got a couple that toned a little and i`ll post them soon.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • I also have a 2000P roll where the end coins have some really nice toning on them.
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    This makes me wanna kick myself "again" for not getting a few rolls when they first came out.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have received a few at the bank that are only just this side of fantastic. They turn all kinds of pretty colors.
    mirabela
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the 2000 where the end coins have toned some really cool blues and purples. Its the only reason I bought them.

Of course that led to one more and then one more and then.......................oh well!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Just wait until they're 100 years old. They're all going to look like crap.
  • Some even do this..It's more colorful then it looks in the picture.image
    I have no idea what causes it but looks strange.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Someday I plan on finding some pristine untoned examples to store in a dessicant filled glass jar to keep them from toning and/or corroding. The metal composition is so reactive that I think few of them will survive blast white (actualy blast gold).
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wait until they're 100 years old. They're all going to look like crap. >>

Just possibly expensive crap! Especially with the lower mintage coins.

On the other hand, they might just end up cheap crap as well. Who knows?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Lets see copper is a reative metal that that readily forms oxides and sufides. Zinc oxidies easily. Manganese has an affinity for sulfur. The only part of the alloy that doesn't react readily with atmospheric contaminants is Nickel which makes up only 2% of the composition. What in the world ever made people think these things would not tone?
  • Let's see, copper is a reactive metal that readily forms oxides and sulfides. Zinc oxidies very readily. Manganese has an affinity for sulfur. The only part of the composition that doesn't readiy react with atmospheric contaminants is Nickel and it only makes up 2% of the composition. Whatever made people think these coins would not tarnish quickly?
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    I have to revive this thread. I recently bought a original mint roll of 2000 P Sac dollars. The ends were toned but they had sort of speckled toning. After opening the roll I noticed that almost every single coin was toned. Very nice and even toning unlike the end coins...Ill post more pics when i get home. I didnt know Sac dollars would tone so nicely

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it is pure gold, you can expect metal to degenerate..... chemicals in the air and/or storage methods (cardboard, plastic, wood etc) will all affect surfaces of metal. And, of course, the coin doctors... it is how they make money, from those fixated on surface decomposition. Toned gold is only showing the decomposition of the alloyed metals. Cheers, RickO
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    Here is just one out of the 25 from the mint roll. The nicest one I placed in my Dansco 7070 album. Nonetheless a lot of them toned nicely

• ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Here is a 2000-S I received from @lordmarcovan. Beautiful tone spot (IMO) on the reverse.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2021 10:05PM

I'm not sure I would've called it "beautiful", but it is indeed interesting. Saw that coin in my stuff when I was putting together your goodies for that @moursund -sponsored swap we were participating in, and thought, "Yeah, OK, I'll toss this one in as an additional freebie". I'm kind of clueless as to what might be going on there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Wow, nice ancient thread resurrection! This thread was posted back in the Good Old Days!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    I'm not sure I would've called it "beautiful", but it is indeed interesting. Saw that coin in my stuff when I was putting together your goodies for that @moursund -sponsored swap we were participating in, and thought, "Yeah, OK, I'll toss this one in as an additional freebie". I'm kind of clueless as to what might be going on there.

My first "toned" coin! Ive been avoiding toned coins, but this one may have taken me to the other side. Neato Burrito.🤓

@Modwriter said:

@lordmarcovan said:

My first "toned" coin! Ive been avoiding toned coins, but this one may have taken me to the other side. Neato Burrito.🤓

LOL @ "Neato Burrito". :D I have a hunch that one's gonna sneak its way into my vocabulary now.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are very attractive when they tone this beautiful shade of blue-

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of rolls of Sacs that I got back when they were first issued.... Unopened, stored away. Have no idea if they tarnished. Probably, at least the end coins. Will check them the next time I am in that storage spot and post if they have any environmental damage (tarnish). Cheers, RickO

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several rolls from different years in glass jars with desiccant in them to prevent or at least slow down the toning to avoid them going terminal. Unprotected they tone/tarnish very quickly and will end up with corrosion spots. Here’s some pictures of ones where I experimentally accelerated the toning process several years ago. They toned so easily that I expect there are or will be lots of AT ones showing up on eBay

Mr_Spud

• rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

In countries where these circulate, they quickly become a dull brown copper color.
    Of the hundreds of these that I've maintained in 2 x 2 s, only a few have taken on attractive toning. Proof field surfaces seem to be the most susceptible to becoming hazy, but most remain unchanged through decades of storage.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I have several rolls from different years in glass jars with desiccant in them to prevent or at least slow down the toning to avoid them going terminal. Unprotected they tone/tarnish very quickly and will end up with corrosion spots. Here’s some pictures of ones where I experimentally accelerated the toning process several years ago. They toned so easily that I expect there are or will be lots of AT ones showing up on eBay

There already is lots of AT Sacs on ebay.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 2000D in an ICG holder that was given out as a trinket by Hallenbeck Coins back in the day that has acquired very nice golden toning slight darker than the original metal.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a group of ten. A couple...........

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter The obv end coin doesn't look nice to me. The reverse end coin looks pretty cool.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    I have a group of ten. A couple...........

Easily the two nicest Sacs I've seen in forever. Very nice. That bottom one is killer.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Easily the two nicest Sacs I've seen in forever. Very nice. That bottom one is killer.

Thanks, both of those are ex WingedLiberty57 forum member. He has a great eye. This one has to be the nicest I own. From a Collector on instagram. Story goes an elderly lady stored some mint products in her attic for safe keeping. This was the only coin that toned in the 2012-S proof set. Obverse is as minted with no tarnish. PR69DCAM

This is the first time I’ve let out an audible “WOW” in reaction to a Sacagawea dollar.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file