Options

Rich G

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike:
    I already explained to you that I won't put people down who have a lower collecting budget as some of us bigger spenders (It's not my style). So, i'm not sure what your implying? However, if people don't like me because they think that "I brag too much"....too bad.
    Rich >>

Yes you will put people down with a lower budget, and you have already done so. To say you dont is an all out lie. When you enter a thread and claim you ONLY collect quality and not quantity it is putting people down who have a lower budget. If you dont see how that is the case, you never will, which is too bad for you. >>

How is that a put down.

Some people budget $1000/month on wax...and may have little to show for it.
    Some people budget $1000/month on set building, or player collecting. They will get huge boxes of commons and high numbered inserts.
    Some people budget $1000/month and buy 1 or 2 items.

Same budget, different philosophy.

To say "I buy quality, not quantity" is a phylosophy of collecting, not a putdown of collectors with lower budgets... >>

Raymond
    You're reasoning is flawless - no argument from me.

<< <i>I believe in QUALITY OVER QUANITY! With this said, just about every item I own costs a good penny >>

But the firestorm for Bri was not necessarily in that part but what followed - that's been his MO from start and I see nothing wrong with it if he doesn't mind people rolling their eyes on occasion but come on - many of his posts have this tone or flavor.

If he's your friend and overlook or don't see that - fine.

But, Bri had enough and called him on it. This is just a good ole fashioned "CU debate" - no blood on my screen yet?

edit: some people will view telling them that everything they buy costs a bit of change is beyond bragging and falls in the category of excessive pride.
    Mike
  • Options
    "just about every item i own costs a good penny"

This statement is 100% the truth, and it isn't putting anyone down. Wow, as i said before.....some people are very sensitive here, and worked up for nothing!
    Rich
  • Options
  • Options
    Like Raymond said, my collecting habit is a philosophy and not a putdown. Heck,. anyone can can believe in quality over quanity regardless of budget.
    Rich
  • Options

<< <i>"just about every item i own costs a good penny"

This statement is 100% the truth, and it isn't putting anyone down. Wow, as i said before.....some people are very sensitive here, and worked up for nothing!
    Rich >>

OK Rich
    I don't think I can teach a blind man to see.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    stone.....like I said, a poor man could have the same philosophy. Obviously the poor man would not have as much in quanity over a rich man or a middle class man, but he still could have quality!
    I think you're the blind one.
    Rich
  • Options

<< <i>stone.....like I said, a poor man could have the same philosophy. Obviously the poor man would not have as much in quanity over a rich man or a middle class man, but he still could have quality!
    I think you're the blind one.
    Rich >>

Rich
    This is the last of it. I'm blind? Trust me on this one - a person of lesser means doesn't need some rich kid to come on these boards and jam it up their ass how much he has to spend. Again what you call "truth" - I call lack of humility.

IF YOU DON'T SEE THAT STATING THAT YOU ONLY BUY ITEMS THAT COST A PRETTY PENNY AS INSENSITIVE TO THOSE WHO CAN'T AFFORD THAT KIND OF MONEY - THERE'S LITTLE I CAN SAY TO GET YOU TO SEE IT.

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Ok, IF this is the last of it, then I am going to bed.....image

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stone, don't waste your breath on this guy. This is the same guy who files NPBs on the 8th day after the auction ends (even when the buyer is mailing payment) so he apparently needs the money to fund these "pretty penny" purchases of his. It's small wonder he has no friends outside his family. Sad.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike is probably the nicest guy I know in the hobby. If you anger him, something is wrong!
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Why bother even trying? Collect what you want to collect and move on. I'm sure Rich has a very nice collection, although I am equally certain he lacks even ONE Nate Colbert card. :-) There are numerous people on this board (and on the Network 54 Board as well) with nicer collections than what I have. So be it...I like what I have built over the years.

As long as we are quoting "war" movies, how about switching into to "Full Metal Jacket" mode for everyone's collections?

"...there are many like it, but this one is mine."

<< <i>

<< <i>

IF YOU DON'T SEE THAT STATING THAT YOU ONLY BUY ITEMS THAT COST A PRETTY PENNY AS INSENSITIVE TO THOSE WHO CAN'T AFFORD THAT KIND OF MONEY - THERE'S LITTLE I CAN SAY TO GET YOU TO SEE IT.

Stone >>

• Options
    Stone.....As I said before, you're the one that is blind. Even a poor person can collect quality over quanity. the only differnce is that the poor person would more than likely not have as much stuff in his collection as the rich guy (unless the poor guy has been collecting a lot longer than the rich guy).

It's a shame that you and your buddy Bri turned my simple reply to this thread into something it wasn't meant to be. Anyway, you can think whatever you want. The only person who knows the truth about my intentions is me. I still stand by my words that there are al ot of sensitive people in this world compared to 20 years ago, and this board sure in the hell has it's share!

Goodnight all
    Rich
  • Options
    I also seem to recall reading from another collector on these boards that Rich was known for posting lots of BS on the Becketts boards too before they booted him so there's no surprise there either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote:
    What kind of BS did i post in this thread? All I did was give a response. My response was follwed by a challenge. I fulfilled the challenge, and the idiot who challenged me got pissed. How am I the bad guy?

on a side note, the reason I file a NPB on the 8th day is over the principle. I state that payment is due within 7 days, and that is what I mean. Heck, when I was in school, and one of my professors told me that a paper was due on a certain day, that is what he meant.....it would not do any good for me to turn it in the following day. It was my responsibility to get my paper turned in on time. As far as the buyers who win my auctions......they also know win payment is due.

I'm signing off now.
    The bottom line......
    Some of you guys are WAY TOO SENSITIVE.
    Rich
  • Options
    Equating due dates for term papers and receiving payment through the USPS for an ebay auction is a very poor analogy, Rich. And yes, I think you're full of BS, too.

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Rich,

I just read this thread and you seem like a real d1ck. I am not jealous of you. I plainly think you are the arrogant a-hole people had thought you were.

Impressive? I don't care what you have as that seems more to be a reflection of the amount of money you care to spend and the need to have expensive things. It doesn't show me passion for the hobby or respect for fellow collectors. Imressive? I think the guys who collect Chris Sabo, Oil Can Boyd and Will Clark have impressive collections. I think the guy building the 88 Donruss set has an impressive collection. I respect softparade, ezshooter, ahmanfan and many others for their relentless pursuit of the sets and players that mean something to them beyond the monetary value. Their collections mean something to them and that shows passion and persistence and respect for the hobby. It does not show the need for expensive thing but rather the need for perfect, yet meaningful cards.

Regards,

Jordan
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Rich,

I just read this thread and you seem like a real d1ck. I am not jealous of you. I plainly think you are the arrogant a-hole people had thought you were.

Impressive? I don't care what you have as that seems more to be a reflection of the amount of money you care to spend and the need to have expensive things. It doesn't show me passion for the hobby or respect for fellow collectors. Imressive? I think the guys who collect Chris Sabo, Oil Can Boyd and Will Clark have impressive collections. I think the guy building the 88 Donruss set has an impressive collection. I respect softparade, ezshooter, ahmanfan and many others for their relentless pursuit of the sets and players that mean something to them beyond the monetary value. Their collections mean something to them and that shows passion and persistence and respect for the hobby. It does not show the need for expensive thing but rather the need for perfect, yet meaningful cards.

Regards,

Jordan >>

Dam, Thats good stuff !image

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys! Its time for me to jump in. Whether a person is rich or whether a person is poor, it all does not matter. What you came into this world with, you will also leave with NOTHING. All the stuff we collect is meaningless in the face of eternity. It aint going with ya!
    The so called "rich" of this world are actually poor. They try to buy all the stuff they can get to make them feel better about themselves because inside they are a complete mess. In their own distorted view they think they are better then everyone else but they are not. They are actually worse because usually pride and conceit go hand in hand with being "rich". I would rather be poor and humble living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER image , then to be "rich" and full of pride.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rich,

Regards,

Jordan >>

And I just want to add that even though you say that you showed up bri, I haven't seen jack from you other than arrogance and a snooty attitude.

Just when you thought that someone couldn't be worse than axtell... Congrats on topping what was thought to be the impossible image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    talk about silly nonsense, Rich G’s very own thread....time to chime in!

I bought a card from him once on eBay and that transaction went effortlessly as possible. As an eBay seller, he's tremendous; his collection, amazing. I value his opinion and insight on card collecting. Don’t get me wrong, I do disagree with certain things that he does/say and majority of the time his view on politics, but THATS WHO HE IS. Come on guys. Why are we bickering like little children? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be as successful as he is now without being smart. With that being said, sometimes people on this board do resemble a group of children in a playground. image
  • Options

<< <i>talk about silly nonsense, Rich G’s very own thread....time to chime in!

I bought a card from him once on eBay and that transaction went effortlessly as possible. As an eBay seller, he's tremendous; his collection, amazing. I value his opinion and insight on card collecting. Don’t get me wrong, I do disagree with certain things that he does/say and majority of the time his view on politics, but THATS WHO HE IS. Come on guys. Why are we bickering like little children? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be as successful as he is now without being smart. With that being said, sometimes people on this board do resemble a group of children in a playground. >>

Some peoples' view of success is based only on a monetary scale. To many of us, that is more childish than calling a spade a spade.

We here share a common interest; Sports and the cards and memorabilia associated with it. Everyone has their own interests and choice to collect what they like. They should not be belittled.

Elitists are typically not well recieved in a public forum. I think it speaks volumes of a man's character when more than a few people question his morals and attitude and has a few others back him because his "status."
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Hold the phone..... is all this bickering really worth your time? I understand a little argument here or there, but I've read the entire Rich G argument from cover to cover and I see many of the same points being repeated in different words. Don't get me wrong, I agree and disagree with some aspects of the argument, it's just not worth wasting too much of my life over. Anyways, many of you are putting up arguments that I would no doubt have said if I was really getting into this, or if I wasn't the lazy rump that I am image

IMO, this is a place to talk about sports, share ideas and concepts, and trade stories (among other things). I was once on the Beckett boards and......... let's just say that it would be a better idea to keep the peace.

Whadda' ya say guys, more altercations or more........ sports stuff? image

"Make love, not war" -Fresh Prince
  • Options
    OK I am going to chime in.....I cannot believe how many people are concerned w/ what Rich says or does.....I mean this is a baseball card message board....Rich is far from the richest guy in the world, as a matter of fact, I consider him slightly above middle class...anyone who rips him is just jealous of what his has, and Rich knows it....Bragging on a baseball card message board is frankly nothing to brag about...I agree that Rich is one arrogant SOB, but he has his good sides too.....and is it me or I am the only one that believes that Raymond and Rich may be the same person.....Rich, don't take this personally as I like you, but you may keep from drawing the ire of the message board that you are on, by leaving anything that pertains to how much you have or spent out of your posts...People who are well to do will ignore your pretentiousness, but people who aren't will not....and we both know that more people who read these boards are not of a high income bracket.
  • Options

<< <i>People who are well to do will ignore your pretentiousness, but people who aren't will not....and we both know that more people who read these boards are not of a high income bracket. >>

So since you read these boards, should we assume you are not "of a high income bracket?"

You don't know me. You don't know what I do or how much money I make. Same for your knowledge of most of the other "regular" posters here. This is what I was talking about earlier. Why is the amount of money people spend on their hobby a reflection of their status? of their income? of their character?

You are the epitomy of what many of us hate that frequent this board. Why do suppose to know so much about us because we spend more time here than you? You don't know if I make $10,000, $100,000 or $1,000,000 a year. Don't judge me or any of the others for calling out someone you know. Also don't insult me for spending more time here than you. As I said before, you don't know me.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    "Be modest! It is the kind of pride least likely to offend."

"To know a man, observe how he wins his object, rather than how he loses it; for when we fail our pride supports us; when we succeed, it betrays us."

"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity."

"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need."

"Ay, do despise me, I'm the prouder for it; I like to be despised."

"There is a paradox in pride: it makes some men ridiculous, but prevents others from becoming so."

"I do not hate a proud man, as I do hate the engendering of toads."

"Pride sullies the noblest character."

"I'm in trouble because I'm normal and slightly arrogant. A lot of people don't like themselves and I happen to be totally in love with myself."
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    <<Why bother even trying? Collect what you want to collect and move on. I'm sure Rich has a very nice collection, although I am equally certain he lacks even ONE Nate Colbert card. :-) >>

Now you wait one minute here! Nate Colbert IS quality man. Dude hit 38 home runs twice and 20+ homers 3 more times. I believe he once had 5 homers and 13 RBI in a double header. Of course, then the Tigers got him, and he promptly hit .147 with 4 homers in 45 games and was never heard from since, but those things tend to happen to people when they come to Detroit. BUT NOT THIS YEAR FELLAS!
  • Options

<< <i>.....and is it me or I am the only one that believes that Raymond and Rich may be the same person..... >>

You are not the first to suggest it, or that we were separated at birth, but we are different people and have never met (although we keep trying to plan something at TwinsFest).

Anyone who has been on Beckett long enough will have no doubt that we are different.

Rich is banned from Beckett, I am not. Beckett mods are obsessed with preventing members from having more then 1 account or banned members coming back under a new name. That are constantly checking ISP's and most members who try it are gone in days. If I were Rich, I would have been gone fron Beckett eons ago.

Also, I have cost Rich a lot of money. We were collecting the same set for awhile. He had deeper pocketts then I did, but I usually came in second on the auctions, which sometimes cost him $75 or more per item. I'm glad he no longer collects that set...
  • Options
    Good morning all:

A few points.......

Zef:
    "Everyone has their own interst and choice to collect what they like"

I agree with your statement above. All I did was give an answer to the question asked in most expensive card thread. I never belittled anyone! What thread are you reading?

Zef:
    "You seem to be a real dlck"

Yea, as I said 100 times before, I treat people the way they treat me. With this said, I can be the nicest guy in the world or the meanest.

Zup:
    "Rich is by far NOT the richest guy in the world"
    Agreed. As I said, you don't have to be rich to have my philosphy in collecting......"Quality over quanity". This is the whole sentence that gut Bri's balls bouncing. Heck even a poor guy can collect quality or quanity!

As Raymond said, I won't back down when attacked so I'm ready and willing to fight for what I believe is right. As I said before, I'm not here to make friends, but discuss the hobby. I'm not going to change my ways to accomidate the people who are too sensitive or soft here.
    Rich

• Options
    "People who treat other people as less than human must not be surprised when the bread they have cast on the waters comes floating back to them, poisoned."

"Treat me like a bulls-eye with pants."

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way. "

"People treat me nice 'cos I treat them nice. "

"Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly and they will show themselves great. "
  • Options
    Philly:

Here are a couple of my favorites:

"I treat people nice becuase they treat me nice"

"I treat people mean because they treat me mean"

"I treat people like a human because they treat me like a human"

"I don't trust anyone (except for a few close friends) outside of my family"

Rich
  • Options

<< <i>Philly:

Here are a couple of my favorites:

"I treat people nice becuase they treat me nice"

"I treat people mean because they treat me mean"

"I treat people like a human because they treat me like a human"

"I don't trust anyone (except for a few close friends) outside of my family"

Rich >>

Gentlemen, the jury has reached a verdict.

Thanks Rich.
  • Options
    DaddyRichDaddyRich Posts: 241 ✭✭
    You know - when I spooted this thread this morning, I thought I was being called out. Whew- that was close. Keep up the good work fellas - you know who you are.
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    DaddyRichDaddyRich Posts: 241 ✭✭
    Now that I have read the OTHER thread I fully understand the range of opinions on this particular fellow. Humility is a great trait in any person and would make his collection shine even more if he possesed any amount of it. But then I am sure he would write back that "that is something a poor person collecting card would write". Good luck and have fun to everyone enjoying their collections.
    Rich G.

p.s. Please don't hate me for my initials.
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    Regardless of how much you spend, there's somebody who spends more.

Regardless of how much you have, there's somebody who has more.

If you like to flaunt, as Stone says in a different thread, jump in with a scan!

Not here though, Champ.

• Options
    Anymore this board has more drama than Days of Our Lives. If you guys do not like Rich or anyone else, fine, but to not give him ammo by engaging him. You guys giving him the attention only hastens his posts. It's like T.O. - we all hate him and want him to go away, but as long as the media films him doing sit-ups in his front lawn - he ain't going anywhere.

I miss the days of good discussions not related to a specific homo-sapien and I just joined in May.

C'mon guys...move on the something bigger and better....I'll be right behind you.
    Carpe Diem
  • Options

<< <i>Rich is banned from Beckett >>

Why were you banned from the Beckett boards, Rich?

Also, you have repeatedly stated the you have proven bri wrong about your collection but you still haven't shown any scans. There's photobucket and imageshack, which are both free. However, if you can't figure it out, feel free to send me the pictures and I'll host them for you.

email me at

cu-stown@hotmail.com
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    "regardless of how much you spend, somebody spends more"
    "regardless of how much you have , somebody has more"

I agree with this 100%. My in laws are currently visiting us. My father in law is the owner of a company in IL. This guy throws money around like it is water. However, he claims to profit easily over a million dollars a year without his bonus. His house is amzaing....indoor swimming pool, sauna, etc.... I sure hope he doesn't forget about his favorite son in law when me passes on to the next world.

Stown:
    Once upon a time, there was a guy named Lawernce on the beckett message board who would spam his wax. Beckett doesn't allow spammers but for some reason they allowed him to break the rules. I called him out . This lead to me being banned. I'm told that Lawrence is either a Moderator or good friends with one. I don't regret what i did, and if I had to do it all over again.....I would do the same thing.
    Rich

• Options

<< <i>"regardless of how much you spend, somebody spends more"
    "regardless of how much you have , somebody has more"

I agree with this 100%. My in laws are currently visiting us. My father in law is the owner of a company in IL. This guy throws money around like it is water. However, he claims to profit easily over a million dollars a year without his bonus. His house is amzaing....indoor swimming pool, sauna, etc.... I sure hope he doesn't forget about his favorite son in law when me passes on to the next world.

Stown:
    Once upon a time, there was a guy named Lawernce on the beckett message board who would spam his wax. Beckett doesn't allow spammers but for some reason they allowed him to break the rules. I called him out . This lead to me being banned. I'm told that Lawrence is either a Moderator or good friends with one. I don't regret what i did, and if I had to do it all over again.....I would do the same thing.
    Rich >>

Already thinking about the inheritance? Wow... Hey, I guess if you marry rich, might as well think about the future you could have when the old man kicks the bucket. To each his own..

Anyhoo... Still waiting for those pictures of:

1)Babe Ruth autographed Tour of Japan photo obtained via mastronet (psa/dna)

2)HOF autographed baseball bat containing 49 autographs obtained from Mastronet (psa/dna)

3)Babe Ruth autographed Spalding Sports Show cover framed with a ticket stub from the 1926 World Series game 2.....obtained from Mastronet (psa/dna)

4)Lou Gehrig autographed framed picture/cut auto signed....."With Kindest personal regards" (psa/dna)

5)Framed 1983 All-Star program autographed on the cover by 75 HOF's obtained via Mastronet (psa/dna).

I'll be happy to host them after you send the pictures.
  • Options
    Stown:
    What is your email address? I'll email the photos once I get home from work (roughly 4pm CST). My father in law is a terific person and I have a TON or respect for him. I'm glad that he is doing well and I hope he lives to be 100 years old. One thing that irritaes me is how the rest of the family always depend on him for money. I don't play that game as i'm doing ok on my own, and even if i wasn't I don't believe in asking for charity. He was the one that brought up the point of "making his daughters and their husbands instant millionaires" once he moves on to the next life.
    Rich
  • Options
    Rich - Just post them on this forum and email them to someone so they can. These artifacts are treasures and I am sure the whole group would love to view them. Look forward to the scans.

Thanks
    Carpe Diem
  • Options
    mistake!
  • Options
    sorry...mistake
  • Options
    Wow ! He's speechless !

• Options
    Tennesse:
    Not me!

Slat:
    I'm an idiot when it comes to computers and posting. i'll need to email the scan to someone so they can host the scans.
    Rich
  • Options
    Koffman@Aeneas.net

• Options

<< <i>I'm an idiot when it comes to computers and posting. >>

Finally, a comment from RichG that I can get on board with!!!

• Options
    jmb:
    I obviously mean in posting scans. If you mean anything else, please explain.
    ricih
  • Options
    Ok guys, I think we owe Rich an Apology. He has just sent me the scans of a couple of his cut autos and they are very impressive indeed. Thanks Rich for sharing these two fine pieces of your collection.

• Options
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet cuts!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    100 y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!