Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Most $$ you ever spent on one card?

Anyone spend a ton on one card? And live to regret it?
Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    The most I have ever spent was 1200.00 on a 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens.
  • Options
    Well, I bought (2) 2001 SPx Autographed Albert Pujols for about $550 apiece a little while ago. Do I regret it, definitely not considering they are selling for $1500-1800 now. Spent closer to book on a 2001 Topps Finest Auto PSA 10, but I don't regret it either.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    $1800 for a PSA 10 '91 Desert Shield Clemens. Way overboard, but I wanted the card no matter what since it was the only PSA 10 at the time.
  • Options
    I just remembered I actually spent more on a 2000 sp Tom Brady card. $1500.00 The seller gave me free shipping so I couldnt pass it upimage
  • Options
    lol, I think it was in the range of 40-60 bucks for a 1959 Topps PSA 8 Sam Huff rook. I usually hold myself for singles under 15.00, I collect what I like and I've(apparently) found some really good deals in the past.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on KingRaider - you are keeping us in suspense on two different threads - what did you buy?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    fair enough BoSox, I spent 3K on a PSA 3 Bronko at the national today.
  • Options
    Holy goodness gracious. Wow.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    yeah pretty insane indeed, but hopefully the card will at least retain it's value or possibly go up a little. I had to talk the seller down to that price too! lol
  • Options
    I spent $1,500 on an '01 SP Legendary cuts Ty Cobb auto in '02, and sold it months later for $2,400. They're worth about $4,000 nowadays, but I can't hold much regret since I made good money for doing almost nothing.
  • Options
    not too many Cobb auto's floating around authenicated by UD. That's a nice % on the flip.
  • Options
    Didn't spend a ton but wasted $30 on a Kurt Warner RC. AAAAAAAAAAAAAhhh!!!!!!
  • Options
    You don't know me , but a big congrats on your Bronko, kingraider75. I have to ask: does that now mean only 5 to go, or is that counted in the 6? It sure isn't gonna lose value....he's too dead to mess up his rep.

Mine was a raw '33 goudey red ruth. $1600. I kept it for 2 years just for the thrill of it. Later sold it for $2400, so I guess that doesn't apply to the regret part.
  • Options
    Not sure, but its one of the following:

1951 willie mays bowman PSA 5
    1909 Ty Cobb Red T206 Portrait GAI 3
    1954 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 6

the highest i ever bid on a card was probably $2000 on a 1951 bowman mantle.
  • Options
    The Bronko is part of the 30, so still 6 to go. I have a GAI Kostka that needs to be crossed over, but the rest are PSA.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $898 on a Cobb with a ghost image on the back.
    imageimage

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

<< <i>yeah pretty insane indeed, but hopefully the card will at least retain it's value or possibly go up a little. I had to talk the seller down to that price too! lol >>

I think you'll do well; it's hard to go wrong on a blue-chip like that.
  • Options
    2dueces....i remember you posting this card on net54. that was a steal.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $5,300 for a PSA 3 '52 Topps Mantle and no, I've never regretted itimage

Steve
  • Options
    The Bronko is part of the 30, so still 6 to go. I have a GAI Kostka that needs to be crossed over, but the rest are PSA

I'm sure everyone else already knows your missing cards, but I don't, and don't want to stray from topic or, far worse still, get your hopes up, but I do have a buddy who has a handful of that set and is a baseball collector primarily, so he may be more than willing to part with them. fill me in on the missing ones and i'll check for you if you have any interest.
  • Options
    With this purchase, I am going to have to wait for awhile until I buy anything else, even a box of 06 football wax! lol Thanks for the possible offer, but I will have to pass at this time.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Danby, Funny thing is T206's have gone through the roof, but the Red Cobb has maintained about the same price since I bought it in Aug 2005. There has been a slight move ($900-1150) but compaired to the PSA 5's I bought it's minute. I was buying 5's for under $65 and today they are double that and some times up to $500. I'm thinking I coulda bought 15 5's, flip em now, buy my Cobb and have a pocket full of cash left. But I thought buying all the high HOFer's first was the way to go. Oh well, I'm sure not disappointed with that card. It's still one of my favorites. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $1000 for a raw 53 Bowman Mantle about 12 years ago.

What's the most you ever lost on one card??

I was doing the 97 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold Football set several years ago. I paid $675 for the Marino when it listed for $1200 in Beckett. I sold if a few years ago for less that $50 in Ebay. I had 132 of the 150 cards in the set. I probably lost $5000 when I finally decided to break it up.
    James
  • Options

<< <i> I probably lost $5000 when I finally decided to break it up.
    >>

OUCH!
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    That Cobb was a steal, even then, Joe.

The most for me: A bit of pocket change over $3G. No regrets.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I believe in QUALITY OVER QUANITY! With this said, just about every item I own costs a good penny. The most I have spent on one item is $4,000.
    Rich
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    $1,400 for a 98-99 Jordan Auto Jersey #/23
  • Options
    $540 for a 1976 Topps PSA 9 Walter Payton.
  • Options
    Chris-Good deal imo.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    to lose $5000 is bad news, but I bet that could happen to anyone on the board if we decided to try to sell of any one particular set. Some items just cool off very quickly.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>I believe in QUALITY OVER QUANITY! With this said, just about every item I own costs a good penny. The most I have spent on one item is $4,000.
    Rich >>

Here is the part where I call you out.

Would you mind sharing with us what cost you $4000 ? I wouldnt ask, but you just sounded so damn arrogant ( as usual ) that I had to ask.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup on the Bronk - Mine was a dead centered PSA 8 1962 Mantle - $1,900.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Bri:
    I'm more than happy to give you "A SAMPLE" of some of the current high dollar items in my personal collection (you obviously don't know me very well) including......

1)Babe Ruth autographed Tour of Japan photo obtained via mastronet (psa/dna)

2)HOF autographed baseball bat containing 49 autographs obtained from Mastronet (psa/dna)

3)Babe Ruth autographed Spalding Sports Show cover framed with a ticket stub from the 1926 World Series game 2.....obtained from Mastronet (psa/dna)

4)Lou Gehrig autographed framed picture/cut auto signed....."With Kindest personal regards" (psa/dna)

5)Framed 1983 All-Star program autographed on the cover by 75 HOF's obtained via Mastronet (psa/dna).

There is nothing wrong with a person being arrogant as this shows confidence.....SOMETHING YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND!

ps...I'll be more than happy to email a board member the scans tomorrow after I return home from work (7pm CST) if they want to post them.
    have a good night
    Rich
  • Options
    The most I ever spent on one card was $675 for a PSA 4 1935 National Chicle Bernie Masterson #36 (last card). I regret it a little, as I overpaid for it, in my opinion. I'm still working on my Chicle set, and haven't ponied up for the Nagurski yet. I've been looking for a PSA 4. I'm still a little irritated at myself for not buying a PSA 7 for $7000 or so this Spring. I think that was a good deal, but there's no way I could've justified spending that much on a card then...a PSA 7 Nagurski would be the gem on my set though. It'd be a bit out of place next to a bunch of 4's and 5's.

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>I believe in QUALITY OVER QUANITY! With this said, just about every item I own costs a good penny. The most I have spent on one item is $4,000.
    Rich >>

I don't collect right now for investing. I collect what I like and what I like happens to come pretty cheap. It's all the same to me.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Rich, I obviously dont know you, nor would I want to. Since you have been on here I have noticed nothing but crudeness and arrogance from you. And it isnt a sign of confidence as you may say, it is almost always a sign of insecurity.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

This was back in 85' mind you---$600 for a 73' OPC Baseball Box and $450 for the 75' OPC Baseball Box. Now that PSA will begin grading packs.......The fun begins
  • Options
    carew...so, you're saying you still have those packs unopened? nice. and you have a lot of self control for not ripping those babies.
  • Options
    Bri:
    I sense insecurity from you because you obviously realize that "someone is better than you"! You wanted a sample, and I gave it to you. Instead of admiting that you were wrong, you instead choose to keep throwing bombs.....However, I'm ok with that because I don't like you anymore than you like me.

the bottom line....
    All I did was reply to the original thread with the truth. Yoou decide that I must be telling a lie (for some stupid reason)! All I do is preach the truth......sometimes the truth hurts!
    Rich
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I paid $2300 for a 1966 Panini Cassius Clay PSA 9 and never regretted it a bit.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    a bgs 9 gold refractor bowman chrome auto of david wright. price tag $3200 glup! =)
  • Options
    The most I ever spent and regreted would be $500 for an '86 Star Knicks team bag. This was in the '93/94 boom years.

As a 15/16 year old wanna be wheeler dealer, I got just a little carried away. As a percent of my overall collection, it was maybe 15-20% of it. Crazy.

My lesson, don't get swept up in manias and don't buy when all the good news is factored into the price (this was when the Knicks were heading towards the Finals).
  • Options

<< <i>Bri:
    I sense insecurity from you because you obviously realize that "someone is better than you"! You wanted a sample, and I gave it to you. Instead of admiting that you were wrong, you instead choose to keep throwing bombs.....However, I'm ok with that because I don't like you anymore than you like me.
    Rich >>

Again with the " I am better than you " crapola. Which brings me to why I said anything to begin with...the fact that you have to try to prove to everyone on here that you are better then them with each and every post youve made. Collecting isnt about " being better then someone " it is about enjoying what you collect, no matter what it is. I just have a big problem with how you approach people on here and have something snide to say every time you type.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I paid $2,400 for a PSA 10 1993 Refractor of Piazza. I sold it two months ago for $3,750. I have 10 PSA 9s with far better centering, seriously.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Big Spender >>

Jesus-- you really stole that Eller. Very nice pickup for the price IMO.
  • Options
    Bri:
    All I did was answer the thread honestly. You're the one that called my bluff! You're the one that thought I wasn't being honest!
    If you're mad because I'm confident in myself, than that is too darn bad. Maybe instead of attacking me, you should work on getting some self esteem. Instead of admitting that you were wrong, you instead try to make yourself look right.

The bottom line:
    I gave an honest answer to the thread, you called my bluff, and I proved you wrong. What did you expect me to do.....not reply to the thread because I was afraid to show someone up?
    Rich
  • Options
    RichG,

I wish you would be a little nicer on these boards.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has posted on this thread. I read them all to my wife and told her "see Honey, what I spend is small potatoes compared to these guys." You guys have just upped my spending limit..wooohoo! The most I have spent on one card is $300-twice.....one for a PSA 7 Otto Graham Rookie and once on a PSA 7 Bart Starr Rookie.
  • Options
    Rich, my point was not in whether or not you had spent the $$, it was the way in which you posted your original message. It was arrogant, as are all your posts. Once again I will say it, and be done with it after this, it in no way shows confidence and in fact shows the exact opposite. You are rude, arrogant, conceited, and show it in every post you have made since joining on here. There is no need to come on these boards with a I am better than you attitude towards everyone. Your original message in this thread showed exactly that, as have nearly all your posts on all the threads. I have gone back and forth enough over this and said all I have to say.
    -- Yogi Berra