Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Albert Pujols 2001 Rookie Registry

Comments

• Options
    i dont agree that Pujols values will mimick bonds....

bonds cards already crashed, pujol scards are still on fire (especially rookie cards and auto rookie cards)

new highs are being hit very week on the Pujols bowman chrome AU
  • Options
    Hi Fandango -- Thank you for your kind words. That Babe Ruth is the highlight of my collection for sure. To be honest, although Ruth cards are valuable, I am surprised that they are not even more valuable, especially when compared to other hobby treasures like the T206 Wagner.

As for Albert Pujols, I am a huge fan of the man and the player. I don't think that he is involved in steriods, but who can really say for sure in this era - I hope not. As I have said before, all of this taint really makes me think that Ken Griffey Jr is the greatest ever. Going back to Pujols, I have been completely impressed by the consistency of his stats since 2001 -- especially his batting average and OBP . . . incredible numbers. Add in the home runs and run productivity and he is clearly the best offensive player of this era (and not to mention that he has a good glove as well).

Whether his cards ultimately prove to be a good investment is another issue. There is a chance because he is now on his 9th consecutive great season. That is an incredible figure. I went back and compared his stats to the early years of Frank Thomas. The Big Hurt had 7 great seasons before having his productivity and consistency get clipped by injuries, etc, and even when he put great seasons later (2002, 2003, 2006, 2007), Thomas' batting average has not returned to the 0.300+ levels (although he is a career .300 hitter).

Looking back at some of the all-time greats like Willie Mays, Albert Pujols will need another five seasons like he has had from 2001 - 2009 and then we may truly be talking about one of the best ever.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    dont agree that Pujols values will mimick bonds....

bonds cards already crashed, pujol scards are still on fire (especially rookie cards and auto rookie cards)

new highs are being hit very week on the Pujols bowman chrome AU

///////////////////

Then it sounds as if this would be the perfect time to sell.
    I believe that you will in the future, be able to rebuy at a lower price.
    Strike when the iron is hot.
    However, as a collector, profit may not be a motive.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In 50 years do you think Pujols will be spoken about in the same sentence with Babe Ruth?

No.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve, glad you "chimed-in" in another thread you know nothing about....

MSOHN ..great post btw
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Fandango you asked a question and I replied, I know more than you think dude.

Why is it every time someone replies regarding Pujols that you dislike you become adversarial?

FWIW I think you know little of anything.

How about this if you don't want an answer to a question don't ask it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ok fine
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I have one sitting nicely in hypothetical spot #44 of my set... and it still burns me to this day that it's not officially part of the Registry...

Just because you couldn't pull it from a pack... doesn't make it any less of a card!

Just because the brand starts with an e, for electronic... doesn't make it not part of a true, distinct base set of baseball cards!

It's certainly not an insert or a parallel from any one of the company's other product offerings...

Next year will be the brands 10th anniversary, producing actual cards... and yet it still baffles me that the official record treats these as not-real cards.

THE 2001 ETOPPS #143 ALBERT PUJOLS... should be classified as a true rookie & should be part of the registry set

Time for the hobby to catch up with evolution... it is the 21st century after all, can't remain so heavily tied to card boom roots of bubble gum packaged cards of the mid-20th century!
  • Options
    i hear you.....the E-topps was the last card that was considered for the set...it didnt make the cut, but you make good points....

check out the Registry under Player collectors, Pujols Master Set....there you will be able to add EVERY pujols card from 2001!

enjoy the quest!
  • Options
    Wow...Id sell my Puljols collection if I had one after that performance against the soon to be World Champ Dodgers!! Broxtan ate him up like he was a double chili cheeseburger.
  • Options
    go away you troll....i know your an ALt, how dare you try to ruin this thread

pujols batted .300 in the series with 5 walks...tORRE CLEARLY DIDNT WANT ANYTHIG TO DO WITH pUJOLS IN THE SERIES, AND HE WAS RIGHT!

aLSO W/ BROXTON, he was called out on a pitch that was 8 inches inside and the Computer Umpire showed it to be a ball....

edited..you should be Banned just for having that NAME/AVATAR --very offensive, especially to somone who lost a friend in 9-11
  • Options
    chill out bro...Im not gonna get into a pissing match with you. Im just pulling your chain. Puljols is as Torre put it "in a class by himself". The Dodgers did destroy the Cards though. Sorry...cant win em all.
    Regarding 9/11 ...lets just say I was one of the ones there in the rescue effort. I lost hundreds of brothers and sisters so stuff it.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>chill out bro...Im not gonna get into a pissing match with you. Im just pulling your chain. Puljols is as Torre put it "in a class by himself". The Dodgers did destroy the Cards though. Sorry...cant win em all.
    Regarding 9/11 ...lets just say I was one of the ones there in the rescue effort. I lost hundreds of brothers and sisters so stuff it. >>

Really? So why would you choose that name? You obviously have zero respect the greatest country on this planet.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Here is the PM that Fandango sent me this morning.

Date Posted: Sunday October 11, 2009 5:31 AM

you just posted in the wrong thread troll

congrats your on THE LIST now

Sweet...Im on the List. What list is that? Is that supposed to be a threat? Anyone else on Fandangos list?? Am I near the top?? You guys are killing me.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>chill out bro...Im not gonna get into a pissing match with you. Im just pulling your chain. Puljols is as Torre put it "in a class by himself". The Dodgers did destroy the Cards though. Sorry...cant win em all.
    Regarding 9/11 ...lets just say I was one of the ones there in the rescue effort. I lost hundreds of brothers and sisters so stuff it. >>

Really? So why would you choose that name? You obviously have zero respect the greatest country on this planet. >>

The comedy quotient on these boards can at times reach astonishing heights. For the record, Greta, ahkmed is a pejorative term used against Arabs. To think this username celebrates the man you're thinking of-- that would be OSAMA bin Laden, for those who are scoring at home-- would be the same as thinking that a name like 'Limey' is a celebration of all things British.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Look out Boo, posting in this thread is a good way to make "The List".

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    its a shame how trolls try to derail most threads on these boards...

do i have to display MY LIST of members who were on the list and have been crossed off (banned successfully)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Really? So why would you choose that name? You obviously have zero respect the greatest country on this planet. >>

The comedy quotient on these boards can at times reach astonishing heights. For the record, Greta, ahkmed is a pejorative term used against Arabs. To think this username celebrates the man you're thinking of-- that would be OSAMA bin Laden, for those who are scoring at home-- would be the same as thinking that a name like 'Limey' is a celebration of all things British. >>

oh its ok for a person to have a screenname JOHNNY HITLER? NO IT WOULDNT BE! you see the point Boo? offensive is offensive.
  • Options

<< <i>
    The comedy quotient on these boards can at times reach astonishing heights. For the record, Greta, ahkmed is a pejorative term used against Arabs. To think this username celebrates the man you're thinking of-- that would be OSAMA bin Laden, for those who are scoring at home-- would be the same as thinking that a name like 'Limey' is a celebration of all things British. >>

That is just silly but thanks for educating us Americans. I am sure everyone that was effected by 9/11 is resting easy now that we can poke fun at
    one of the most wanted men in our short history. I would love to know the 7/11 referance? Is that poking fun at all the arabs that own 7/11 ?
    Why is he even here on a sportscard message board? Wouldn't he better off on another message board where most will get his comedy?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    not sure if these have been seen lately....

only 1 SAMPLE exists.....

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Pujols has had a productive first week..

i think he will like hitting in front of Matt all season!
  • Options
    and just wait until Colby fully heats up and hits as he should....Skip, Colby, Albert, Matt, Luddy(crushing right now).....thats as gooda front 5 as any in the bigs!!!!
    "the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting drunk..."

- Westerberg
  • Options
    Wanted to give Props to ETP- DA Yooper Collection and cknapp73 who are both amassing VERY NICE Pujols rookie collections....

DA Yooper is creating an amzing PSA 10 collection and seems very determined...

cknapp will someday have the MOST graded Pujols card of anyone, he is a monster at finding the just released PSA 10's!

These guys are a force to be reckoned with on the EBAY circuit@!

Congrats and keep it up Gents!

• Options

<< <i>Wanted to give Props to ETP- DA Yooper Collection and cknapp73 who are both amassing VERY NICE Pujols rookie collections....

DA Yooper is creating an amzing PSA 10 collection and seems very determined...

cknapp will someday have the MOST graded Pujols card of anyone, he is a monster at finding the just released PSA 10's!

These guys are a force to be reckoned with on the EBAY circuit@!

Congrats and keep it up Gents! >>

Thank you! Definitely determined!

Had two small subs pop this week... including a PSA 8 2001 Ultimate Collection RC... and the very first PSA 10 Absolute Memorabilia RC!!!

Have another 58-card April special sitting on the shelfs at PSA awaiting grades as well, of which 43 of those cards are Albert (hopefully) Gems!
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>Next year will be the brands 10th anniversary, producing actual cards... and yet it still baffles me that the official record treats these as not-real cards.

THE 2001 ETOPPS #143 ALBERT PUJOLS... should be classified as a true rookie & should be part of the registry set

Time for the hobby to catch up with evolution... it is the 21st century after all, can't remain so heavily tied to card boom roots of bubble gum packaged cards of the mid-20th century! >>

This is strange for me to understand. I am wicked confused here.

eTopps is considered to be a base card within the Derek Jeter Basic set. I really wish they weren't. I could never understand why they are. eTopps cards are a pain to obtain imho. I have to win on auction or sale. If you have eTopps account like I do and use I then "take delivery" with eTopps then crack and sub to PSA. Much more harder to obtain vs. going to any convenience store(wal-mart, target, 7-11, or local card shop) and buying a pack or box of cards. Pulling the card needed then submitting.

I know a few old timer collectors that still do not have a computer or internet. How would they obtain an eTopps card? I am sure if there is a will there is a way. Still I hope you understand what I am getting at here.

So why would PSA registry have eTopps on Derek Jeter's Basic set but wont allow it on Albert Pujols Basic set or on Pujols Rookie set?

With Jeter's Rookie set there are only 8 base cards and I agree those 8 should be the only ones for the set. However if you count all the minor league rookie cards and parallel rookie cards he would have a lot more then 8 cards.

I agree that the eTopps card should be part of the Pujols rookie and basic set. If Jeter collectors need to obtain these cards then the Pujols collectors should have to do the same image If it won't be added to Pujols set then they should fix Jeter's Basic set since they are listed as a basic card.

If any of all that^ made sense image

Edit add: I am in no way making a complaint here. I am just very confused by this and would like some sort of clarification on why. Sorry if my post offends anyone.

Tim
  • Options
    I too wish that the 2001 eTopps Albert Pujols was part of the Albert Pujols Rookie set. As far as I am concerned, I consider eTopps a perfectly legitimate base brand in the 21st Century!

However, it is not a core basic brand... which has been clearly defined by PSA... and also where the disconnect is occurring on your end.

Currently, there is an Albert Pujols Basic Set. There is no existence of a Derek Jeter Basic Set. In contrast, there is a Derek Jeter Basic & Collectors Issue Set (for which there is not the same, currently, for Albert Pujols). I'm assuming, as I don't know for a fact, that the Albert Pujols Basic Set was initially created before the PSA Set Registry introduced the concept of "Basic & Collectors Issue" sets.

eTopps falls under the classification of a "Collectors Issue" set... as do many others like SPx, Topps Heritage, Donruss Classics, etc.

The classification for "Basic" set is strictly limited to: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF, PINNACLE, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, STUDIO, TOPPS, ULTRA, UPPER DECK
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying the difference between "Basic Set" and "Basic and Collector Issues Set"

What is weird is the Collector Issues set I am working on was at one time called "Basic Set" and all the eTopps, Topps Heritage, SPx etc etc was already on the set which would explain why they changed the name from Basic Set to Collector Issues when they introduced Basic and Collector Issues sets to the registry.

As a solution:

I would be happy if Albert Pujols had a Basic and Collector issues set added as well as a Derek Jeter Basic Set. image

My opinion still stands though the '01 eTopps card should be part of Pujols rookie set.
  • Options
    I agree... and I have a 2001 eTopps Albert Pujols PSA 10 in my collection... anyways, since it's an awesome card... ready and waiting if that day ever comes!

P.S. - If you can justify to PSA that a Derek Jeter Basic Set would still be a worthy challenge for the Registy... submit the request and see what happens! A-Rod has both, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for Jeter. It's hit or miss, there are some that don't have both that should... and others that shouldn't have both and they do (IE. Ryan Braun)

P.S.S. - After the awards deadline, I'll probably be submitting a request for an Albert Pujols Basic & Collector's Issue set... as I'll need something to work on as I've almost got the Albert Pujols Basic Set complete (actually, I will have it complete, sans one card, when my current sub pops).

P.S.S.S. - I can't see Basic Sets making much sense anymore with modern players... given the Topps exclusive... doesn't make for much of a challenge when only three cards (Bowman, Finest & Topps) can be added to the set each year!
  • Options
    Go for the 183 card set, the 2001 Pujols Collection..... A set that some day will be looked upon equal grounds with THE BIG THREE..

it will be the BIG FOUR
  • Options

<< <i>The classification for "Basic" set is strictly limited to: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF, PINNACLE, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, STUDIO, TOPPS, ULTRA, UPPER DECK >>

I will make the Basic Set request using only these base cards. I will see what happens. Thank you for the info and sorry to get a little off topic.

PS: I have a ton of Albert Pujols cards that need to be graded. All have a great shot at being PSA 10s. From regular Topps cards to Topps Heritage cards to UD Goudey to Bowman etc. etc. I assume you would want the 10s that your missing. I will post them in BST when I get around to grading them. Maybe on my next sub if I don't have enough Jeter cards to fill the sub.

PSS: Thank you again for answering my questions

Tim
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Go for the 183 card set, the 2001 Pujols Collection..... A set that some day will be looked upon equal grounds with THE BIG THREE..

it will be the BIG FOUR >>

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Pujols Sucks!

DBOTW!
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    dbotw

is that Pujols newest 'roid?
  • Options
    Nice work Gents!

those sets are heating up! like all the 10's!
  • Options
    just wanted to give a NOD to ERIC for building an almost complete Pujols basic set (81) cards...very nice indeed....

next would be of course, the 2001 Pujols set (all 183 cards)....
  • Options
    Thanks man... that 2001 Donruss is proving to be an elusive beast. Owned one I considered 9/10 potential, but just a hair short... came back three times MIN SIZE REQUIREMENT. The hunt continues!!!
  • Options
    i have submitted many donruss 2001 pujols and i would say 90 % come back MIN SIZE REQUIREMENT....none of these are trimmed, it was Donruss first year back and they had a bit of trouble cutting the cards the correct size....

PSA is very tough on these, although that is how they came from the factory so i tend to think they are too tough on this aspect of this card..

also this card suffers from SEVERE chipping of the back edges (again from poor cutting)...

keep up the hunt! you will find one!

edit: there is a raw version on EBAy for $225.....feeling lucky?
  • Options
    Does Pujols have a 2001 Topps Stars Elimination Game card? Thats one I would love to have
    if it exists..
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>i have submitted many donruss 2001 pujols and i would say 90 % come back MIN SIZE REQUIREMENT....none of these are trimmed, it was Donruss first year back and they had a bit of trouble cutting the cards the correct size....

PSA is very tough on these, although that is how they came from the factory so i tend to think they are too tough on this aspect of this card..

also this card suffers from SEVERE chipping of the back edges (again from poor cutting)...

keep up the hunt! you will find one! >>

I have a question about 2001 Donruss issue.

Would it be safe to say 90% of the cards for entire set of 2001 Donruss issue will come back Min Size Requirement? or is this only be for Pujols cards? or for certain other player cards as well?

I figured someone here would know more about the 2001 Donruss issue.

I am not a Pujols collector. However Pujols IMO effects all 2001 cards on the modern player sets and modern company sets. I truly believe this because for a long time my Jeter collection had and still has some holes in it for the year 2001. Mainly because buying unopened is very expensive now. Also Pujols is the only card people are really after in that year. So Jeter cards and all the other cards generally get tossed aside.

• Options
    Don't forget Ichiro... still plenty of $$$ in the market on that guy!

The base Pujols was a redemption, so not only are their probably fewer than the 500 in circulation... it was also manufactured seperaterly... so I'm guessing the size issue might be relegated to that card, or just the redemption cards. But then again, I've never tried grading any of the other 2001 donruss cards.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Don't forget Ichiro... still plenty of $$$ in the market on that guy!

The base Pujols was a redemption, so not only are their probably fewer than the 500 in circulation... it was also manufactured seperaterly... so I'm guessing the size issue might be relegated to that card, or just the redemption cards. But then again, I've never tried grading any of the other 2001 donruss cards. >>

I had a PSA 10 of each gold 2001 Bowman refractor. Sold for a total of $7000.
  • Options

<< <i>Does Pujols have a 2001 Topps Stars Elimination Game card? Thats one I would love to have
    if it exists.. >>

Its exists....few and far between though...looks like a game piece on the reverse, not a normal card....ill look for a scan...
  • Options
    HE's BACK!

not only 3 weeks early, but with Power to boot! Clutch HR again, to tie or give his team the lead!

Amazing!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Amazing? I think you need to ask yourself a question before you state this guy is amazing. Take a look at the cloud over his head, it just got a lot darker. He should have sat out five weeks and never brought this extra attention to him.
  • Options
    WOW

12th fastest ever to 2000!

projected 2015 for 3000 hits!

Rare Bird: Contact rate of a slap hitter, yet with the highest Slugging % in League...simply amazing.....
  • Options
    NL MVP Race is gonna be a tough one to call this year. So many good candidates - Braun, Fielder, Kemp, and Halladay. Can Albert go on a tear to win it? I think the voting will be one of the closest in years for the NL.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    what is the 2001 Topps Chrome Rainbow Holofoil? Not sure if I am familiar with that one...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    one of the most difficult Pujols rookie cards to track down....

amazing gold reflective surface makes the card look sweet!

i only have 1..

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Love that card Scott! Very Nice.
  • Options

<< <i>one of the most difficult Pujols rookie cards to track down....

amazing gold reflective surface makes the card look sweet!

i only have 1..

image >>

Great card, crazy how skinny he is on that pic.