Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official Albert Pujols 2001 Rookie Registry

When todays veteran players typically have over 5,000 unique cards --making player collecting very difficult-- it is nice to have an alternative to impossible to complete registries.....Enter the ROOKIE REGISTRY, which includes only those cards considered in the hobby to be true Rookie Cards....presently that encompasses 40 cards for Pujols in 2001...3 issues do not fit the present day PSA holder, so this number of RC's may go to 43 eventually...as you can see this is a set that is attainable and should have some good competition....Enjoy

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I saw that and thought that that was a neat [albeit currently expensive] way to collect a player.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Yes, I recently noticed the Pujols and R Johnson rookie sets. I really like this idea, especially for the modern players. They started heading this direction a few years back and then stopped. The Vince Carter set has been there for several years, but they said they would not be adding any new rookie sets for other players. I am glad they have changed their minds.
  • I'm starting the Mark Mulder rookie registry. Only 53 total(including 1/1s). It's something interesting to work towards.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>I'm starting the Mark Mulder rookie registry. Only 53 total(including 1/1s). It's something interesting to work towards. >>

I can't imagine the Registry would include a 1/1 in a Rookie Registry set - since by default, only one person could ever [even in theory] complete such a set.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • AlfiewtAlfiewt Posts: 337
    The rookie sets are great! I recently was checking how may cards Griffey has and noticed he had over 1200 cards issued in 2005 alone. At the current rate his master set will end up being over 10,000 cards, and the basic set may end of being over 1000 cards!

As to the 1/1 cards. PSA does not even allow them in the master sets so I don't think they should be in rookie sets either. Having them in a rookie sets would conflict with the idea of having a more attainable set.

• << <i>When todays veteran players typically have over 5,000 unique cards --making player collecting very difficult-- it is nice to have an alternative to impossible to complete registries.....Enter the ROOKIE REGISTRY, which includes only those cards considered in the hobby to be true Rookie Cards....presently that encompasses 40 cards for Pujols in 2001...3 issues do not fit the present day PSA holder, so this number of RC's may go to 43 eventually...as you can see this is a set that is attainable and should have some good competition....Enjoy >>

Actually, there is at least one other card missing from this set - the Leaf R&S Auto. Only 30-50 ever made, and I had both of the PSA 10 copies at one point. With this registry addition, I wish now I had them back, despite making a nice sale previously. Definitely a great idea to attract anyone to enjoyable modern player sets.

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm starting the Mark Mulder rookie registry. Only 53 total(including 1/1s). It's something interesting to work towards. >>

I can't imagine the Registry would include a 1/1 in a Rookie Registry set - since by default, only one person could ever [even in theory] complete such a set.

~ms >>

I didn't include the 2 1/1's in the registry for that reason. The rest are all attainable.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Actually, there is at least one other card missing from this set - the Leaf R&S Auto. Only 30-50 ever made, and I had both of the PSA 10 copies at one point. With this registry addition, I wish now I had them back, despite making a nice sale previously. Definitely a great idea to attract anyone to enjoyable modern player sets

This 2001 Pujols Rookie Set only includes true rookie cards, not parallels or inserts....that is another set, which hasnt been added yet called the 2001 Pujols Master Set (this would include all Inserts and parallels from 2001--193 cards to be exact) this is where the Leaf R&S Auto /50 would be found...

same goes for the 1/1's..these should only be included in a Rookie Master Set, and not the True Rookie (basic) set...

the Current 2001 Pujols Rookie Registry contains 40 cards with the possibility to include 3 more (Absolute Memorabilia, Leaf Certified, Leaf Limited) when PSA develops alternative holders for thicker cards....Joe Orlando told me they are working on another slab and it should be out soon!

<< <i>
    the Current 2001 Pujols Rookie Registry contains 40 cards with the possibility to include 3 more (Absolute Memorabilia, Leaf Certified, Leaf Limited) when PSA develops alternative holders for thicker cards....Joe Orlando told me they are working on another slab and it should be out soon! >>

PSA announced about 12 months ago that they would be grading packs, too, so I hope that you are not holding your breath...

~ms
    im not holding my breath.....

just curious. are there no other Pujols rookie collectors? only 1 registered.....
  • ^^
    If I had started in 01 yes I'd be collecting him. To rich for my blood at this point.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Its good to see they removed that "this is not a complete set, it is always changing, if you know of a card that does not show up in this set registry, contact us'' disclaimer from the pujols 2001 registry..We know the cards included in this set are Pujols true RC's only .... this list may change from 40 to 43 if and when PSA creates/offers a thicker slab.....Until then, its a difficult challenge enough to collect all 40 RC's in PSA 8 or above.... I think PSA should expand the modern player Rookie Registry to include more players (like Ichiro). Individual player Master sets are virtually impossible to complete due to the proliferation of inserts and parallels throughout the last five years . Rookie Registries seem more attainable and practical for modern players from 2001 to 2005...the new MLBPA rookie card rules have changed the need for rookie registries going forward, as the biggest need for rookie registries seems to be in the set and insert explosion of 2001-2005 (thanks donruss)
  • finally another person on the Pujols Rookie registry, it was getting lonely there....i welcome the competiton!
  • Any PSA news regarding the slabbing of the thicker issues?

i heard this was in the works a while ago but have not heard since.....ANY INFO?
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    What the heck...I'll be joining you in about 15 minutes...

Nick
  • i just noticed sets waiting to be added list....

JOSH FOGG ROOKIE SET? not sure how popular this regitsry would be.......

bobby bonilla Rookie Set? another not sure how well this would be recieved....

Bobby Bonilla---------without his spring training injury, Pujols may have been in minors in 2001!!! THANK YOU BOBBY BO----that was the best thing you accomplished in your career!!!!!
  • just updated the set, only 2 cards left ....

got this sub result from a crossover...

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 04591 2001 FLEER SHOWCASE 121 ALBERT PUJOLS N/A 8
    2 04591 2001 U.D. SWEET SPOT 121 ALBERT PUJOLS N/A 10
    3 04591 2001 UD PROS & PROS. 137 ALBERT PUJOLS JERSEY M/G

Date Received: 12/11/2006
    Date of Grades Posted: 12/18/2006
    Date Shipped: No Date Specified

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question - why is the Finest Auto not considered a true RC and the (for example) the SPx Auto is?

Shane

• << <i>Question - why is the Finest Auto not considered a true RC and the (for example) the SPx Auto is? >>

Frank, good question, the answer is because the Pujols 2001 Finest Autograph was from a subset in the 2001 Finest issue...Pujols did not have a card from the base set of 2001 Finest....The Pujols Rookie Registry only includes true rookie cards, not inserts or parallels...

The 2001 Pujols Collection (192 cards to be specific) will eventually make its way to the registry i believe....
    Finally reached 100% on this collection....

im waiting for PSA to enter 3 more cards to be added to this registry that i just had graded ...they reside in the NEW thick holders and will Close out the Official Albert Pujols RC Collection at 43 cards.....a great and enjoyable set to collect....now i can focus on my T201 collection and 1914 Cracker Jacks....
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful job! You've got something real special there.

A bit confused by your Registry photo, though...?

Nick
    ya, that was a test run so i could make sure i was able to download pictures correctly and at the correct size....this weekend i will be placing all the correct scans on each card..

set with pictures is so much better i think...
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

Shane

• CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Outstanding!!

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
    Its getting lonely in this registry...surely there are others who share my passion for 2001 Pujols cards!

dont be afraid, start that registry...this is a great time to do it! We May See the First Triple Crown in 40 years!!!
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Really cool collection and a great accomplishment image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

Well, this set is now 100%, 100% complete....PSA added the three cards that are held in LARGE THICK slabs into the registry, bringing the total to 43 cards.....the leaf limited and leaf certified are Tough to find in high end condition due to the chipping of the colored borders...i currently have them in PSA 7, which is the highest graded versions...it brings the overall GPA down, but not all modern cards are found in PSA 10, as this set will attest to!

next up, getting the Pujols 2001 Master Set on the registry....this set would contain the 192 cards issued in 2001 (would not contain the 4 1/1 pressplates issued in Gallery or the 1/1 Legacy Masterpiece)....

This may be one of the toughest modern sets to complete due to all the sticker autos numberd to 25.....

One can only attemp it and see...

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Cool set. Are you going to try to upgrade the set?

Mark

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    yes i will try to upgrade it...but there are not that many upgrades available...a lot of the cards have only 1 graded higher...these cards are hard to track down and if they go up for sale, the usually go for very high BIN because of the 1/1 nature....the cards that are graded with 7 are very hard to find in good conditon, raw or otherwise, not to mention they are serial numberd to only 200 (leaf certified)....
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Impressive! Congrats are certainly in order. You are experiencing what a lot of modern collectors are experiencing. The short prints and extremely condition sensitive cards. As you mentioned ... not everything modern comes out of the pack a 10. Big props to you for completing the set as it stands today. image
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards

<< <i>Impressive! Congrats are certainly in order. You are experiencing what a lot of modern collectors are experiencing. The short prints and extremely condition sensitive cards. As you mentioned ... not everything modern comes out of the pack a 10. Big props to you for completing the set as it stands today. image >>

Thanks!

i just added scans to all the cards if anyone was interested.....

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the scans. Thats a solid set and a safe investment I think.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • did it work rt
  • i have a pujols just minors insert ap4. im gonna say it will grade a 10. is this card worth anything? i just collect pete rose and got it with a bunch of cards i bought. i really do not keep up with todays baseball players. maybe i should get it graded? don
    those cards are 2004 cards with pictures of pujolsinthe minors......there are a ton of them and most are GEM MINT...i would not bother sending it it, you can buy one online for $9.99 PSA 10....
  • i put in a set request for a complete 2001 albert pujols set (as opposed to the Pujols Rookie Registry-43 cards)...this set would include all cards issued in 2001 for pujols (would not include 1/1 print plates)....there would be 192 cards in this set and the lowest print run would be 5/5 for the gold Sp chirography Auto.....this would include the slew of Donruss Product sticker autos numbered to /25.......

this set is attainable albeit difficult, and would pose a challenge to even the most advanced collectors....

i hope PSA acts and adds this set under Player sets....Albert Pujols 2001 Set.....

• << <i>did it work rt >>

yes it did work....whatever that would be....
  • thought this was a good day to bring this ttt....

nice to see that my rookie registry idea has taken off, as there are over 400 registered sets now...

psa, please delete the JOSH FOGG rookie set...i think that was a joke by someone.....

Congrats to Pujols on another masterful season (eight in a row to start a career, best ever)
    As the originator of the Rookie Set, im very happy to see how far they have come!

Im also happy yo be passed by MSOHN who has a world class collection!

now lets hope we can add more sets to this registry!
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love this set and the challenge it has been to work on it!

Hopefully one day I will be able to surpass the great collections ahead of me on the Albert Pujols Rookie Set registry... but I'm not holding my breath!
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread. What do you guys consider the toughest (not exactly the most expensive) card to get for Pujols in 2001?
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Right now, I'm finding it to be the toughest to find a high grade (want 10, but would consider a 9) SP Game Used Edition Pujols rookie. The Donruss seems pretty tough too... can find a boat load of the Bronze or Silver Baseballs Best version... but rarely see a decent regular base version come up for sale.

Of course, there are also the few Pop 1 PSA 10's and the Bowman Chrome Refractor Auto

<< <i>Interesting thread. What do you guys consider the toughest (not exactly the most expensive) card to get for Pujols in 2001? >>

the Leaf certified and Leaf Limited are very hard to find graded (their are only 200 and 250 respectively)...they are easily chipped so they arent any high grades....
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Fandango that is one impressive collection. Thanks for the pictures.
    One I would like to see PSA start doing is allowing you to have and register multiples
    of cards. So say you have 4 Bowman rookies you could register all 4 and the highest
    graded one will give you credit towards the finished set and gpa.
    Just an idea.

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    I am sorry I was looking at Rocky Mountain's set.
    Collector Focus

• Great additions guys, keep them up!
    I just saw this from another board I thought it was pretty neat!

PUJOLS
    Collector Focus

• would just like to add this: MSOHN you have the most amazing BABE RUTH COLLECTION I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

In 50 years do you think Pujols will be spoken about in the same sentence with Babe Ruth?

ps.. if someone had to pass me on the Pujols Rookie Registry (which i created) then i would wish it to be a collector of your magnitude....i think you rival the top dogs in the hobby!

• << <i>I am sorry I was looking at Rocky Mountain's set. >>

It's not like Scott's set is any slouch. Kind of like 1A and 1B. Both are incredible collections of Albert.

P.S. Comes off bench last night to hit a game winning HR.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    In 50 years do you think Pujols will be spoken about in the same sentence with Babe Ruth?

Yes and no.

I will not hate on this thread, but will give an honest answer to this question. Statistically Albert will put numbers up that may rival Ruth, and possibly surpass Ruth. As for cards go, Ruth will always outwiegh Puljos.

Given the fact that Puljos is playing in the steroid era, his cards may have the same long term value as Bonds. Puljos is the best playing today
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC