of the price and just as nice?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've said this 1000 times >>

Yeah, but nobody listens to you. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I am on the mailing list from Mr. Tomaska and saw that Saturday.

How long would you have to hold that coin before you could see any profit from the sale of it?

Pretty coin, but, not for me at even a fraction of that price.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I have no idea if those values have any logic to them- but those franklins are AWESOME!!! If I had the money, I'd buy them.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Franklin's rule (at least those with some type of set ranking points)image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretty impressive for what I consider a buck UGLY coin!

I'd love to meet the person who would pay $100,000.00 for a Franklin (of any type)!

The basic premise that Rick wrote is 100% true. A MONSTER coin is always a MONSTER and will always trade for an exaggerated premium. I've said this 1000 times, there is NO substitution for quality. you can't buy monster quality cheap. >>

What you said Laura.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    I'm not exactly sure what it is Laura said!!! Anyway I like baldy heads--I've even paid 3X sheet for a few. But $100,000!!-- come on--only Russ gets that kind of money for halves (and they have hair!) image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    There are many collectors that are long on $$$$ and short on brains !
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1950 looks a little weak on the reverse for the ULTRA CAM designation. For that kind of money he should at least have it in a PCGS holder..........unless.......nevermind.image
  • Options
    He has tried! It ain't never gonna cross!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    How long would you have to hold that coin before you could see any profit from the sale of it?

Profit?

• Options

<< <i>How long would you have to hold that coin before you could see any profit from the sale of it?

Profit?

image >>

4-5 years waiting for gradeflation...then resubmit.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It is impossilbe to ever overpay for ANYTHING."

That's the motto when it comes to modern coins. One can overpay for a classic coin quite easily, but never a modern one. image

Yes the 1950 Proof Franklin half dollar is difficult to find in most any attractive condition. Many of those coins were struck with poor luster, and dipping them usually makes the situation worse. And yes, the coin is very scarce in Cameo.

Still I would never pay $10 grand for a Franklin half let alone $100 grand. The highest price that ever temped me was $2,000 many years ago for plain old 1950 half dollar in Proof cameo, and it only darted across my mind for a second because I knew how scarce the was.

No I'll leave the 6 figure Frankie to those who appreciate that much. It's not for me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Maybe if it was a Half Dollar from a century earlier....yeah. But, modern common junk like that? Who cares? Especially, for REAL money.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like both coins very very much. However, even if I had the money to pay the asking prices, I would decline.

I have enjoyed looking for and obtaining 1950-70 CAM/DCAM coins on the cheap (primarily raw from proof and SMS sets in OGP or capital holders).

I picked up a very nice 1950 CAM proof Frankie a year ago for modest money. R&I reps at the last Santa Clara show looked at it and opined it could grade 65 or 66 CAM. It is not as heavily frosted as the one pictured by R&I, but the more intense frost does not equate to the coin being worth the $75-$100K price to me.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    So that word "Ultra" was worth what?
  • Options
    "Ultra" is worth less than "Deep".

Maybe some enterprising young Proof coin fan will come up with a new designation that will, upon being accepted in the market, trump "Deep". For example "Mega", "Giga", "Humungo" or "Mondo".
  • Options
    Greater fool, where are thou?
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Giga-deep does have a nice ring to it.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, it's about time already. i've been wiating patiently for the inevitable Us(Modern) vs. Them(Classic) thread to appear for several weaks. what i need everyone to explain to me is the difference between a Classic rarity and a Modern rarity?? certainly a 1950 Proof Half-Dollar isn't rare but most seem to agree that in Ultra(Deep) Cameo they are,and that as such they are relatively attractive coins. that means that what has everybody's boxers in a bunch is personal preference and the high price!! i'm a freakin' genius, aint i!!??!!

the only problem i see is that there is really no realistic way to establish a price for a coin like this based on a prior sale, so the seller gets to pick a number----that never happens with big-time dealers and rather common coins that just look prettier than most others, right?? while i don't really agree with the price it sure is a beautiful coin that i'd be proud to have in my collection.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I'd wager 10:1 PCGS wouldn't grade it the same & even money that even if they did it wouldn't sell for that much. image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    while i don't really agree with the price it sure is a beautiful coin that i'd be proud to have in my collection.

• Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    WOW

Time to pull out the books of Franklins and have them submitted.

It just goes to show in this market every dog WILL have its day!!!!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Greater fool, where are thou? >>

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Time to pull out the books of Franklins and have them submitted. >>

Yeah, I'm sure they're chock full of coins like those two.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    They are stunning coins, and extraordinarily rare. I hope Rick is successful in driving up the demand and price for this series. It's been pretty quiet for 5-6 years.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Yeah, I'm sure they're chock full of coins like those two. "

Russ,
    I have no idea. In 1979 while in the bullion business in Texas we got lots of the mint and proof sets in for melt. Many thousands of coins did in fact go to the smelter, but I did manage to cherry pick some of the Frankilins, in MS and PR.
    I put them in books and they have set for 27 years, so who knows? I dd try to pick the the best that came across the desk.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these coins are a good example of "i wish i knew then what i know now" considering the length of time i was away from the hobby taking care of Life. had i put the cart before the horse i think i'd be living higher now since back in the '80's there really wasn't much searching for this type of material according to what Mr. Tomaska says. who knows, maybe todays SC$'s will be yesterdays Cameo Proofs of The 1950-1970 Era.
  • Options
    Picking up and running with a point made by Keets.

Can anyone honestly say that they would not be proud to have either of the pictured coins in their collection? Love Frankies or hate Frankies, the pictured coins are magnificent examples of the highest quality of the minter's art.

(Just to be picky however, I am quite disappointed that the eagle on the 1956 Type 1 half pictured seems to suffer greatly from "Frost Fade", to the point that the most exacting giver of CAM/DCAM designations may decide that the coin does not deserve the designation due to the Frost Fade).
  • Options
    GoldSaint, after you looked at the books with the cheery picked Franies in them, give us a report on what you find, including pictures.

Who knows, maybe you have a 1950 PF 68 DCAM half in your book. Wouldn't that be a hoot?
  • Options

<< <i>There are many collectors that are long on $$$$ and short on brains ! >>

What do you think, Mr. Bigglesworth?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone honestly say that they would not be proud to have either of the pictured coins in their collection? Love Frankies or hate Frankies, the pictured coins are magnificent examples of the highest quality of the minter's art. >>

Those of us who do not share your unbridled enthusiasm for these pieces have never said that the coins that started this thread are not beautiful and desirable. I said as much when I explained that it is difficult to locate the 1950 Proof half dollar in attractive condition. Our concerns center around the prices quoted for these items.

We also have grown tied of the personal attacks upon our judgment and numismatic expertise that modern coin boosters continually heap upon us for expressing our opinions about these high prices. Merely expressing the opinion that one should approach the purchase of these coins at prices that now supposedly reach $100,000 brings on cascades of abuse from these people.

If we are so stupid and poorly informed, why should our opinions matter to them? Perhaps the answer is that we are giving reasonable advice, and those who stand to benefit from these runaway prices wish to diminish the influence of those who disagree with them.

As I posted earlier, for some people, it is impossible to overpay for a modern coin. One can overpay for anything else, but the modern coin market is exempt from that pitfall. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picking up and running with a point made by Keets.

Can anyone honestly say that they would not be proud to have either of the pictured coins in their collection? Love Frankies or hate Frankies, the pictured coins are magnificent examples of the highest quality of the minter's art. >>

Yes, I can honestly say that I have no desire to have either coin in my collection--and I do own cameo examples of both (the 1950 in 65 cam I bought from Rick). I simply don't see the reasoning behind collecting PopTops (along with their coresponding prices) whether they are modern OR classic.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616

<< <i>Yeah, I'm sure they're chock full of coins like those two. "

Russ,
    I have no idea. In 1979 while in the bullion business in Texas we got lots of the mint and proof sets in for melt. Many thousands of coins did in fact go to the smelter, but I did manage to cherry pick some of the Frankilins, in MS and PR.
    I put them in books and they have set for 27 years, so who knows? I dd try to pick the the best that came across the desk. >>

Goldsaint, I hereby declare you to be my new best friend!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    BillJones and OKbustchaser:

I totally agree with your comments about paying high prices for moderns. Even if I had the money, I would never pay moon money for modern coins (I view moderns primarily as post 1933 coins) since I participate in the hobby as a collector, spending discretionary income only on coins, with no intent to make a profit on the coins. IMHO it is more fun to hunt for, find and acquire these moderns coins raw for very little money. What will hoepfully be more fun will be for me to finally have some of the better moderns I have picked up raw submitted to TPG's for slabbing. If I have chosen wisely, I should be able to sell the slabbed coins and get my costs back with maybe a profit tossed in.

I also agree with your comments about chasing pop tops, be they modern or classic. The pursuit of pop tops is not for me, particularly since the coin(s) inside a plastic slab with a top pop grade assigned to it may not be attractive or desirable at all.

• Options
    75-100 Thousand dollars ? .................put it Heritage auction and without schilling

it wouldn`t fetch 50 grand
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In one word, garbage! >>

Toally agree!image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've said this 1000 times >>

Yeah, but nobody listens to you. imageI do!

Russ, NCNE >>

• Options

<< <i>They are stunning coins, and extraordinarily rare. I hope Rick is successful in driving up the demand and price for this series. It's been pretty quiet for 5-6 years. >>

Buyer beware!image

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Silly, silly
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I'm a long time Franklin Collector..I'd love to have a nice 50 in proof 66 or better, but for the money, I'd sleep better getting a classic rarity.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    I don't find anything odd about the dealers $100K price. It's a one of a kind, beautiful

and I guess he thinks it's near priceless.

What surprised me is he said someone paid $14,000 for this raw, years ago.

To me it reall IS: classic vs. modern--just not coins!!

It's Ferrrari 1968 GTC-4, mint state, 38K miles vs this PR cameo Franklin.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Just a silly, silly example of modern crap!! What a huge joke it is for an NGC coin to even be considered for 100k $. In a PCGS holder it is graded what.....67-66 Cam? Worth $1500 tops??? Just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    $75K? Feh!
    What do you think, Mr. Bigglesworth?
  • Options
    The 1950 CAM Proof half may be "modern crap" but it certainly is not available raw or certified by the truckload. In fact it is extremely hard to find such a coin. I have looked for raw examples of a CAM 1950 half for over 7 years and have not found one.

100 years from now I suspect this coin will finally have lost its "modern crap" moniker. Even if it has not, it still will be a very rare and very beautiful coin.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't find anything odd about the dealers $100K price. It's a one of a kind, beautiful

and I guess he thinks it's near priceless.

What surprised me is he said someone paid $14,000 for this raw, years ago.

To me it reall IS: classic vs. modern--just not coins!!

It's Ferrrari 1968 GTC-4, mint state, 38K miles vs this PR cameo Franklin. >>

I do not believe this dealer has the coin for sale , nor do I believe the collector bought it raw.

Tomaska sold it to him already in a slab , NGC PF 67 CAM ; then the guy got it upgraded to 67 Ultra Cam and Rick estimates it`s value

between 75-100 g`s ..........in fact : Tomaska sez "Every coin I buy , quite often with the passage of time upgrade

when resubmitted " ! ! !

He also recommends to his clients that they can usually recieve more , MUCH more money for their coins-

instead of offering them back to him when they want to sell -they should sell them in an Auction !!!!!!

This seems a bit odd as i lost count of the times he has a coin on his pricelist for months - then I see the same coins in Heritage Auctions

where they sell for 50% or LESS then what he was asking for them !

You see , and I quote him , " While many dealers know how to `talk the talk` , I prefer to let the coins we offer `walk the walk `. "
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    They are both impressive coins. If I could drop a $100k in afternoon on a coin or coins, it would not be a Franklin, and I collected the series. Not that one or any other one....

crazy man......crazy....
  • Options
    ..........a 100 grand would get you a Proof 69 DCAM 10$ Indian !!!!!!!!!!!image
  • Options
    ...how about a MS69 DCAM 53-S ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file