Home Sports Talk
Options

Mariners Win, 2 back

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
2 games above .500, 2 back. Down 2-1 in the 9th they put up 2 runs before handing the ball over to J.J. Putz for his 14th save. It was their second 5 game winning streak this month.

Beltre continues to hammer the ball, 2-3 tonight upping his average to .262, and up his hitting steak to 12 games.
Gil Meche pitches 7 strong, 1 earned run, dropping his ERA to 3.75.
Ichiro went 0-5, but still going strong with a .353 BA.
Raul Ibanez went deep again for his 17th HR and his 63rd RBI.
Johjima went 1-3 and is now batting .297.

Mariners are now 13-2 in interleague play.

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Nice run they're on - anything can happen in that division. I don't think Ibanez gets enough respect, he's been a very consistent hitter for some time now.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice run they're on - anything can happen in that division. I don't think Ibanez gets enough respect, he's been a very consistent hitter for some time now. >>

To be honest, who on that team not named Ichiro does?

Lopez is having a fantastic year, Ibanez has been on fire all year long, Johjima is really starting to come around both with his bat and the way he calls games, and I can't even see the highlights on sportscenter.

It's pretty frustrating image
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    If they keep playing like this, I'll bet they start making the highlights. King Felix gets his due, but his shaky start to the season was cause for concern. He seems to be pitching better of late, and the best thing they did (a move that was obvious) was give Putz the closer's job. Ibanez, Lopez, and maybe even Johjima should make the All-Star team, IMO.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I always felt that Ibanez was one of KC's worst losses. Great hitter who wasn't overly expensive. Oh well, I guess we did get him from Seattle in the first place.
    Travis
  • Options
    Lopez will be on the all-star team. Maybe not as a starter, but he'll be there. I'll admit that I underestimated this Mariners' club. I'm impressed.
  • Options
    The M's were dominated tonight...2 hits, one walk, and all 3 were doubled off. The Rockies pitcher faced the minimum 27 batters.

Only upside is that Moyer looked great, throwing a complete game and only giving up 2 earned, and Beltre and Johjima continued their hitting streaks (13 and 11 games).

Oh well, tomorrow's a new day, and the A's lost, so they lost no ground (though Texas sneaked by them for second in the division).
  • Options
    Jamie Moyer is another ageless wonder in the MLB.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Great comeback by the M's tonight...down 7-2, M's rally for 2 run bursts in 3 different innings to move to within one game of first.

Ibanez hits his 18th HR of the year, RBI #64 and 65.
    Ichiro hits a key home run in the 8th for the game winner.
    Putz continues to dominate, pitching a perfect 9th for his 15th save, dropping his ERA to 2.35.
    Beltre (15) and Johjima (13) continued their hitting streaks.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Typical fairweather fan we have here. (or is it hear)? m's lose, fall behind 500 and Axhole disappears from his thread.

I guess we have to wait for them to win a game again to get some updates.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    But of course WP, you see how often he tops his Mariners thread compared to the Yankee thread. Ax=Bangwagon fan and Hater oh and "Master Niam D'Sparil -- Erudite Sorcerer Extraordinairre."

Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    I agree with you oh alt id of mine.

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Figured people didn't know daily updates, but since you beg for all Mariners, all the time:

The M's are still only 3 back despite hitting a rough stretch in which they've lost 3 in a row.

Too bad you don't show as much passion for your teams as you do running your yap about me.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Under .500 in the weakest division in baseball. And you have the nerve to bash and rant on about other teams...what a pathetic joke ! Keep speaking about .250 hitters like they are Ted Williams you dope. Keep bashing players from other teams with twice the talent you dope.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Under .500 in the weakest division in baseball. And you have the nerve to bash and rant on about other teams...what a pathetic joke ! Keep speaking about .250 hitters like they are Ted Williams you dope. Keep bashing players from other teams with twice the talent you dope. >>

You mean how you bash Arod?

And I haven't spoken about any .250 hitters like they're ted williams, you simple minded twit.
  • Options

<< <i>

And I haven't spoken about any .250 hitters like they're ted williams, you simple minded twit. >>

Yeah ya have.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    No, I didn't.

Please point out specific passages where I said anything resembling them hitting like Ted Williams.

• Options
    How about you doing the same in regards to the hundreds of statements/questions you conveniently run away from first?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>How about you doing the same in regards to the hundreds of statements/questions you conveniently run away from first?
    Steve >>

WP,

as much as you want it, I am not going anywhere. And *hundreds*. Can you post one?

Why do you hate dissenting voices so much? Are you so used to getting your way with your mommy that someone saying 'no' to you angers you so much?
  • Options
    No specific references Ax, it was in general. It could have been any great hitter, it wasnt meant that you literally compared them to Williams. I can see again how you have difficulty with the language.

You are constantly bragging about M's who are flirting around the .250 mark yet you bash players from others teams who are batting 75 points higher. You speak of all the postives and progression of the Mariners mediocre players and bash players from other teams, particularly NY teams who are cleary head and shoulders better.

Either way, you arent going to see the point, understand it, comprehend it, or concede to it, so it is completely pointless to continue. My 21 month old nephew has an easier time comprehending what is spoken to him.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    just one? that is easy.

I'll even link you to it.

Here ya go dopey

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Still hiding from that thread huh Axhole?

typical.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The original poster of the thread said that Wright was better than Arod...said that Wright was the best player in the big apple, did he not?

<< <i>Tell you what, he might be the best player in the big apple right now, I think Arod takes a second place to him. >>

I agreed that Wright's been hot, but to put him ahead of Arod's decade of dominance seemed premature.

kuhlman then brought salaries into the post, to which I replied that of course Arod is making tons more money, since he's be the league's best player for several years, so he should be compensated as such.

To which YOU, WP, replied:

<< <i>Arod is not even the best player on his team. >>

YOU claimed he wasn't the best player on his team...YOU said

<< <i>I further say that I think Jeter and Sheffield are better >>

You are a blind bat to think that either sheffield or jeter are better players than Arod. You're a blind Arod hater to say that.

• Options
    Nice try,

now answer the damn question/statement that you made regarding me taking the thread off track.

I'll help you along...............YOU SAID:

Chide me for derailing, but insist on continuing the topic? Talk to your boy WP about bringing Arod into the discussion, instead of Wright's merits.

Sorry you are unable to comprehend it's not me who took this train off it's tracks.
    ===============================================

And i said:

Wrong (as usual) I did not bring up Arod, you did (before me at least)

actually the person that started the thread did.

So dopey get the facts straight before you accuse me of anything.

Steve
    ================================================

So genius, get with the program here. Once you were proved wrong you did what you always do, you ran. Now in a lame attempt at finally answering when called out, you twist and turn the reply upside down. Not buying it.

So how about it? Were you wrong when you claimed I derailed the thread? I'll give you a hint (cuz I know you need em) the proof is on page 1 of the thread the 6 th post down (your second)

my first reference to Arod was AFTER yours.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    And typically under the bed he goes.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    My first post in the thread didn't even mention Arod's name.

I then talked about contracts, and brought it around back from Arod to Wright.

YOU were the one who then chimed in slamming Arod not being the best player in NY. At no point prior to that did I even mention Arod's skill set, my posts were limited to (1) saying let's not put Wright to the head of the class so soon, and (2) saying that an established player's payroll (Arod) should be substanstially higher than a 2nd year player.

Why are you unable to grasp YOU were the one who took that thread off track?

In your first post of the Wright thread, you post, in your first statement:

<< <i>Arod is not even the best player on his team. >>

then:

<< <i>Arod leaves Seattle and they win 116 games.

Arod leaves Texas and they have what amounts to the best season ever for them (won-lost)

Arod comes to NY and NADA. >>

YOU took that thread into an Arod slamfest. Why is this so difficult for YOU to comprehend?

• Options
    My first post in the thread didn't even mention Arod's name.

Boy you really are a DOPE! I specifically just said (your second post)

I am at a loss here fellows. I am arguing with an idiot.

I just took the time to even show you EXACTLY where you said things and you still can't comprehend the written word.

Edited to add:

In your first post of the Wright thread, you post, in your first statement:

yes i did dopey but my first post WAS AFTER your second. And it was in that second post of yours that you vrought him up FIRST. How can you argue with that?

lol, you are such a clown, you can't even admit to the smallest of issues.

Steve

do us all a favor and go back under the bed.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Oh christ you are splitting hairs here...I posted a comaprison of salaries, while remaining on the topic of Wright.

You ramble into a Arod hatefest, throwing in a couple of Wright highlights to try to prove you were on topic, while the entire intent of your post was to slam Arod.

Why are you so unwilling to concede it WAS your post that took the thread off topic?

• Options
    Cuz I didn't

ive just shown you where you did and of course i'm splitting hairs. You brought up arod before me. end of discussion

I also stated that the original poster did in the very first post.

what part of that do you not understand?

You are a real donkey you know that?

henceforth you will be called 'donkey' by me. a real jack ass you are.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Your assertion was that I derailed the thread, not who brought up Arod first.

YOU and your blind hate of the best player in the american league did the derailing. My post which brought up Arod was in response to someone who question the differences in payroll. I stayed on topic, and compared Wright's career to Arod's, and why Arod's contract was so much bigger.

YOU immediately chimed in saying 'Arod's not even the best player in NY'. DERAILMENT.

You say:

<< <i>So how about it? Were you wrong when you claimed I derailed the thread? >>

YOU DERAILED THE THREAD NITWIT.

• Options
    Your assertion was that I derailed the thread, not who brought up Arod first.

Wrong again donkey

my exact words were:

Wrong (as usual) I did not bring up Arod, you did (before me at least)

so exactly where did i assert that you derailed the thread? actually you claomed i had and i replied with the above.

I clearly said you brought him up before me at least.

where you get to I asserted you derailed the thread by those words is beyond me.

bri is right you do have a problem comprehending the written word.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Look, WP-

There's no need to post the same post in 2 threads.

YOU derailed the thread by going off on a rant about Arod, I merely responded to a prior post comparing Wright and Arod's salaries. I did NOT derail, YOU did.

End of story.

You're done.

• Options
    The Mariners suck. They have never even been to the World Series. At least SD has been there twice.
  • Options
    There's no need to post the same post in 2 threads.

i think so. better to penetrate that cement head you have.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The original poster of the thread said that Wright was better than Arod...said that Wright was the best player in the big apple, did he not?

yes he did. i agree that he did. now in reply to that i stated that arod was not even the best player on his own team. how exactly did that reply derail the thread? I further state that my reply was AFTER you brought up his salary. so exactly where did i bring up arod in the thread BEFORE you did (at least)? twist it around some more donkey this is fun.

I await your hee haw on this.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    To get back on the thread topic, Seattle had a little bump in the road the last couple days, but I think they are also going to take the west!
  • Options

<< <i>The original poster of the thread said that Wright was better than Arod...said that Wright was the best player in the big apple, did he not?

yes he did. i agree that he did. now in reply to that i stated that arod was not even the best player on his own team. how exactly did that reply derail the thread? I further state that my reply was AFTER you brought up his salary. so exactly where did i bring up arod in the thread BEFORE you did (at least)? twist it around some more donkey this is fun.

I await your hee haw on this.

steve >>

Dude, I DIDN'T bring up his salary, KUHLMAN did. KUHLMAN stated that Wright was a better player because he made about 300k while Arod makes $25 million. Are you unable to see the thread and see who brought that up? I simply replied, while maintaining the focus on Wright.

YOU went on a rant about Arod not being the best player in NY, and then spouting some stats about how Seattle won 116 games without him.

Please tell me how my comparing Wright's salary to Arod's is derailing, while your rant about Arod isn't?

Good god arguing with you is like arguing with a plant! Wait, I just slighted the plant's intellectual capabilities.

• Options
    listen you ding dong I never said you derailed anything! at first anyway. and if I did it was only after you repeatedly said I did and claimed that i had. I can assure you my original answer (aqdter you accused me of derailing the thread) was that I did not and that you mentioned him first as did the original poster. i at that time made NO claim that you derailed anything! has that sunk in yet?? I'll repeat it for ypu:

"I said that you mentioned arod before i did"

For some reason you keep going on and on and on that i claimed you deailed the thread.

I have said over and over that you mentioned him before me. Only that, not that you derailed anything, you being stupid and unwilling to reason properly are like a donkey wearing blinders. you see only what you want to see and like a donkey with blinders become thick as a mule.

stop quoting only parts of my passage. I was replying to the original poster.

how dense are you? ive already said that i did not care in what context you brought him up. The fact remains I could not have derailed the thread because you and the original poster brought him up first!

and to help you along, since you can rightfully claim that you were replying to cris and salary I was replying to the original poster and his use of the word BETTER.

talk about being a plant.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I see the mighty m's are below 500 again.

what a disaster that team is turning out to be.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    M's are overperforming to what the preseason expectations are...and the all star break is going to be a great time to recover and re-energize for a second half run.

Disaster? Hardly. Overperforming? Absolutely.

• Options
    Since when is a sub .500 record for any professional sports team "overperforming"? The Detroit Tigers, now that's overperforming. Preseason expectations mean nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. It's simply something to sell papers and boost cable ratings, in the end "preseason expectations" account for NOTHING.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Mariners weren't expected to be anywhere near .500 this year, and yet they are contending for the division title.

That's overperforming.

• Options
    Not saying much in that "underperforming" division. Detroit is overperforming, the M's just have the luxury of being in one of the weakest division in all of the MLB.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    And the yankees have the luxury of having 200 million a year to spend in salary, yet they're still not in first place.

What's your point?
  • Options
    hahahaahhahaha, good job in defending your precious M's. Way to stay on topic buddy. The Yanks have lost 2/3 of their outfield and even with the Red Sox on a monster tear of late the Sox can't build a lead. Anyway....way to stay on topic once again. Good job in defending your "favorite" team. Hater.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Simply comparing expectations.

Mariners weren't expected to do anything, let alone contend, yet they have recovered from a disasterous April and are heading into the break way above where anyone thought they'd be.

The yankees with their payroll should be 20 games in front of the sox, yet they are behind them.

Who's not performing, again?

• Options
    hahahahahahaha, spin spin spin ole buddy. Can't defend your position so you attack anothers. To bad the AL East is the best division in the MLB, compared to the West being the worst. But once again, you can't make a decisive arguement so you end up resorting to NY Hating. What a bore, the same old song and dance. Get some new material already Ax, It's old!
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    It's not hating when it's the truth...something you aren't used to from the NY you koolaid you continually drink.

Aren't you disappointed that with a $70+ million payroll advantage over the red sox, you aren't crushing them? Hell I would be.

As far as the Mariners concerned, unlike you (and bragging about the Mets being first to 50 wins), I know the season is 162 games, and not over at the all star break. If the M's make the postseason, it'll be a huge success as this team wasn't picked for much more than a cellar dwellar all year.

• Options
    lol, still bringing up more NY stuff eh? Hater. Can't even defend your "favorite" team without mentioning them. Is NY that much on your mind at all times? Geez, I know your on ARods nuts but come on buddy can't you formulate an eduacated response without bringing up NY? I think not.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Nah, NY's on my mind when I see them get blasted by the Indians 19-1, on queen george's birthday no less. Classic!

Mariners have been a surprising story this year, playing well and youngsters like Lopez and Johjima playing far above expectations. I expect the trend to continue and they battle the A's for the title down the stretch.
  • Options
    Johjima is 30. Far from young, he was quite a player in the Jap leagues though. I'll agree that Lopez is doing his thing. I could care less about how big the loss was, a loss is a loss regardless. The Yanks still took the series. Although it was embarassing as hell but the Indians are the team that always seems to give the Yanks a good pop in the mouth every once in a while.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils