Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Look at what I got for $8.00. at a card shop

A few days ago I went to a card shop in my town just to look around and saw this card:

2006 Fleer Autographics Mark Prior Autograph card.

The shop was selling it for $8.00. so I got it.

Was that a very good deal??? also what does it book at???

I collect: Baseball cards, Football cards, YuGiOh foils, Naruto foils, HeroClix, Star Wars minis, and Video Games

Comments

• Options
    If you are happy with it that's all that matters. The hobby these days is based too much around what something is worth. $8.00 isn't a lot of money so enjoy it and keep collecting! image
  • Options
    i just looked it up.. it books at $7.

sorry, just kidding.. couldn't resist. i have no idea.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Brianwinters:
    Even though this hobby is fun for me, I expect my collection to at the very minimum to hold its value. I get so sick and tired of hearing people say that "I don't care about the dollar value of my collection because this a hobby and I'll never sell my collection". Even though this may be a hobby, sooner or later your collection will be sold. If not by you, than by your children. This is especially true for people who spend tons of money to build their collection. Now, if your collection consists of a ton of Albert Belle or Dale Sveum commons than I can understand why you would not care about the value.
    Rich
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't own these cards. We are just holding them awhile.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭

<< <i>Brianwinters:
    Even though this hobby is fun for me, I expect my collection to at the very minimum to hold its value. I get so sick and tired of hearing people say that "I don't care about the dollar value of my collection because this a hobby and I'll never sell my collection". Even though this may be a hobby, sooner or later your collection will be sold. If not by you, than by your children. This is especially true for people who spend tons of money to build their collection. Now, if your collection consists of a ton of Albert Belle or Dale Sveum commons than I can understand why you would not care about the value.
    Rich >>

ahhh, the mentality that killed a generation of collectors and made them into investors.

Death to all price guides! Die!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brianwinters:
    Rich >>

Rich

I plan to be buried with mine.

Mike
  • Options
    You collect something for the love of the hobby, you invest in something for future value. Can you do both yes. But if you are a true collector you should have no real concern of the value.
  • Options
    We don't own these cards. We are just holding them awhile.

screw that.. i own mine.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think you did well. 8.00 for an auto card of a decent pitcher? Now hope that he gets back on track.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A "deal" from a card shop? Highly unlikely if not impossible. Nothing wrong with buying from a card shop, just expect to pay retail or possibly more than retail if they can get it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Brianwinters:
    Rich >>

Rich

I plan to be buried with mine.

image >>

Make sure the cards are slabbed - they'll last longer in the dirt. image
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    ONE BILLION DOLLARS!!
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You collect something for the love of the hobby, you invest in something for future value. Can you do both yes. But if you are a true collector you should have no real concern of the value. >>

I call BS.

I know a lot of true collectors - myself included - who would be pretty distraught if the value of their prized pieces of cardboard plummeted to little or nothing tomorrow. I don't necessarily buy cards with investment in mind - though it is nice to turn a profit from time to time since it lets relative little fish like me work our way up the hobby food chain, so to speak - but I personally like collecting stuff that has a high likelihood of at least holding its value.

In part, it's because I've realized over the last 18 months or so that there is nothing I would never consider selling. My circumstances weren't even dire, but I sold a lot of my "permanent" collection just because collecting/life priorities changed. I don't mind modest losses here and there when I do sell, as there is certainly an element of enjoyment involved in collecting, but given the amount of money that changes hands in the hobby, it seems foolish to just completely dismiss the value aspect of collecting.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You collect something for the love of the hobby, you invest in something for future value. Can you do both yes. But if you are a true collector you should have no real concern of the value. >>

I call BS.

I know a lot of true collectors - myself included - who would be pretty distraught if the value of their prized pieces of cardboard plummeted to little or nothing tomorrow. I don't necessarily buy cards with investment in mind - though it is nice to turn a profit from time to time since it lets relative little fish like me work our way up the hobby food chain, so to speak - but I personally like collecting stuff that has a high likelihood of at least holding its value.

In part, it's because I've realized over the last 18 months or so that there is nothing I would never consider selling. My circumstances weren't even dire, but I sold a lot of my "permanent" collection just because collecting/life priorities changed. I don't mind modest losses here and there when I do sell, as there is certainly an element of enjoyment involved in collecting, but given the amount of money that changes hands in the hobby, it seems foolish to just completely dismiss the value aspect of collecting. >>

God, no! A voice of reason! Seriously, can we get this guy banned from the boards?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve

I can't argue with you. A collector spends money on items of interest - and if the items don't continue to hold value - the interest wanes. The "value" isn't necessarily just the money spent - the implied worth of collectibles is a delicate balance between cost and popularity as a function of demand. Otherwise, why collect it?

If value weren't an issue, it would be just as arbitrary to collect bird poop.

I thought Wizard was just being emphatic - he will have to illuminate us.

I have enjoyed collecting and if the stuff turned to dust with respect to value - sure I would be immensely disappointed but I woulda had a really nice ride!

We all want to see the "value" upheld - I'm guessing most of us just don't want to be looked at as collectors in any pejorative sense.

As someone had said last week - there's room for the collectors - the collector/investor and the investors.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I decided to go get a beckett at Super Wal-Mart so I could find the cards valu and this is what it says:

2006 Fleer Autographics
    Stated odds 1:432 Hobby, 1:432 Retail
    SP print runs provided by UD
    SP's are not serial - numberd
    No SP pricing on qty of 25 or less
    - Reported sales: Mark Prior SP - $25.00.

and it also says down in the list MP Mark Prior SP/25*

So the value of the card is not listed but it at lest sells for $25.00. image

So my $8.00. that I paid was a good deal. image

I like to being able to know the value of all my cards even the ones that I will never sell.

I collect: Baseball cards, Football cards, YuGiOh foils, Naruto foils, HeroClix, Star Wars minis, and Video Games
  • Options

<< <i> Reported sales: Mark Prior SP - $25.00. >>

What Beckett was this?? The one I have which is the July issue with Pujols on the cover does not mention the Prior at all??
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Steve

I can't argue with you. A collector spends money on items of interest - and if the items don't continue to hold value - the interest wanes. The "value" isn't necessarily just the money spent - the implied worth of collectibles is a delicate balance between cost and popularity as a function of demand. Otherwise, why collect it?

If value weren't an issue, it would be just as arbitrary to collect bird poop.

I thought Wizard was just being emphatic - he will have to illuminate us.

I have enjoyed collecting and if the stuff turned to dust with respect to value - sure I would be immensely disappointed but I woulda had a really nice ride!

We all want to see the "value" upheld - I'm guessing most of us just don't want to be looked at as collectors in any pejorative sense.

As someone had said last week - there's room for the collectors - the collector/investor and the investors.

mike >>

Stone, you're on a roll! Two great posts in the last 13 hours!!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    stone,
    I have a PSA 10 1987 Yellow-tailed sparrow poop if you're interested in trading.

Lee
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think some are missing the point here.

first off the card could 'book' for more or less then the 8.00 that was paid. The important thing is if the buyer was comfortable with the price paid.

secondly I'd be interested Stevek what do you do for a living?

STEVE
    Good for you.
  • Options
    What I was saying there are people who collect things that have or never will have any value. Wal-Mart gift cards are becoming a popular collectible as many of the early ones are hard to find. Will these ever have a big market I seriously doubt it. Old Telephone cards and lottery tickets are other items.

The majority of stamps are worth barely anything over the face value, but I have seen collectors line up to get the new releases as soon as they come out.

As I said you can collect and invest at the same time, but you can collect and not have a concern over future value.

I collect cards of Melvin Bunch, these will never be valuable but he was my best friend in HS.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Win,
    I think stevek plays poker for a living....

Lee
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I agree that one can collect with little or no regard to future value, but I'd be willing to bet that doesn't apply to at least 90 percent of the people in this hobby. We might have subsets of our collection that are strictly for fun but it's almost impossible to not be conscious of the money factor.

I might actually agree with you more than I disagree, but the statement "But if you are a true collector you should have no real concern of the value" leaped out at me as either holier-than-thou or as vapid as "Buy the card not the holder."
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it would be just as arbitrary to collect bird poop. >>

Great - the cat is now out of the bag....

Naruto, you were doing fine until you bought the Beckett. It's only downhill from here.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    I buy a new beckett about 3 or 4 times a year.

brianwintersfan, it sounds like you have the same beckett as me, you are right that it does not list the value of my Mark Prior Autograph, but if you look at the top under 2006 Fleer Autographics it has a small shap of a hand and next to it it says Reported seles: Mark Prior SP - $25.00.

• Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    "I agree that one can collect with little or no regard to future value, but I'd be willing to bet that doesn't apply to at least 90 percent of the people in this hobby. We might have subsets of our collection that are strictly for fun but it's almost impossible to not be conscious of the money factor. "

....I've heard there's even a nut-job out there spending an obscene amount of money on Chris Sabo cards! Even throwing
    money away on getting them graded! JEEZ! What is the hobby... err business... coming too anyway?

Naruto.. If $8 was a great deal to you, then it WAS a great deal! Enjoy your card! I hope Mark makes it back to his prime potential again soon!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options

<< <i>I think some are missing the point here.

first off the card could 'book' for more or less then the 8.00 that was paid. The important thing is if the buyer was comfortable with the price paid.

secondly I'd be interested Stevek what do you do for a living?

STEVE >>

Computer graphics printing business mostly dealing with engineering and design applications.

Fortunately, there are no weasels in my industry unlike most baseball card shop owners who would offer a blind old lady $1 for her genuine T-206 Wagner if he could get away with it. And also would charge a young child $1 for a 25 cent retail item if he could get away with it. Notice I said MOST owners, not ALL owners. Caveat Emptor is definitely applicable when walking into most baseball card shops.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Win,
    I think stevek plays poker for a living....

Lee >>

Nope - Guys like Donald Trump and Calvin Ayre took enough of my money. They don't need any more.
  • Options

<< <i>brianwintersfan, it sounds like you have the same beckett as me, you are right that it does not list the value of my Mark Prior Autograph, but if you look at the top under 2006 Fleer Autographics it has a small shap of a hand and next to it it says Reported seles: Mark Prior SP - $25.00. >>

You are correct. I was looking under the Fleer Greats of the Game autographics and that's why I didn't see it.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I expect my collection to at the very minimum to hold its value. I get so sick and tired of hearing people say that "I don't care about the dollar value of my collection because this a hobby and I'll never sell my collection".

I do not get sick and tired of people saying they invest in cards (though I don't see it as much of an investment) but I am sick and tired of people saying that they are sick and tired of what I think. If I don't care about the value of my collection that's ok. That's MY THOUGHTS and I can think whatever I want. You may have different thoughts and that's great... FOR YOU.

It would seem everybody collects for different reasons. I have NEVER sold a single card that I did not have duplicates of. I don't need 10 Fleer Cal Ripken rookies but I do need one. Is my collection for sale? ONLY if I needed the money. Fortuntately that has never been the case in my first 38 years of life (33 or so as a collector). I enjoy seeing the value of my cards but since I don't plan to sell them it's even more irrelevant than the monthly 401k statement to me. I might enjoy collecting more if they were worth less as I wouldn't be so darn worried about bending corners, etc.... I open a lot of 1981 boxes as they bring back fond memories of the year I bought the most. They are cheap, I don't really care what I get, and my 3 year old son and 2 year old daughter can open packs too. Plenty of room for collectors, investors, etc.... I hope everybody gets what they want from the hobby.
  • Options
    For the people who say that some people collect things that will never have value......That is great. However, it probably didn't have any value when these people acquired these items which means they got them for free. Anyone (with common sense) who spends good money on items he "collects" expects his collection to at minimum keep most of its value........and if they don't care about the future value, they need to get their head checked.
    Rich
  • Options
    For the people who say that some people collect things that will never have value......That is great. However, it probably didn't have any value when these people acquired these items which means they got them for free. Anyone (with common sense) who spends good money on items he "collects" expects his collection to at minimum keep most of its value........and if they don't care about the future value, they need to get their head checked.
    Rich

Ohhhhh, now I get it. Thanks for clarifying and enlightening. You are obviously an extremely intelligent and well adjusted person. I want to make sure someone as smart as you thinks I have common sense and that I don't need to get my head checked. I thus will change my position and now agree with you. Thanks Rich. I feel much better. Love you man! Peace.
  • Options
    RichG...

Ya know... you're entitled to your opinion, as well as anyone is. I also realize you feel you HAVE to get the last
    word in, so I'm 100% you're going to reply to this. Just about everything you've "contributed" to the PSAboards
    has been worthless.... absolutely, completely, worthless. I believe I read somewhere you were either asked to
    leave the BGS boards or were just plain kicked off... well, it's no wonder. Do you actually read your posts? ...
    or do you just blast this junk out without any thought?

Find a different calling in life, would ya?

• Options
    onefast:
    Of course I'm going to reply to some idiot who attacks me. I've been here for roughly 1 month, and I'm still waiting to see a thread/post from you that isn't worthless. I simply can't believe that someone is willing to spend "X" amount of money on his collection but doesn't care if it holds its value or not. Anyone who can honestly say they don't care, obviously needs to get his head examined. I just can't believe how many people in this world don't have common horse sense. Onefast.......You're obviously in that group!
    Regarding my different calling in life.....I'm currently at work doing what I do best. I never said that I know more than anyone else when it comes to this hobby. However, I'll bet I know more than you. At least I have common sense.

EDIT....Exactly what "junk" are you talking about? Can you give me an example with your own rebuttle/belief regarding each point. I don't mind people who disagree with me as long as they can show me why I'm wrong or why their way is better. However, it does piss me off when some idiot like you comes along and uses a generic term like "junk' without offering reasons or a different point of view.
    Rich
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>For the people who say that some people collect things that will never have value......That is great. However, it probably didn't have any value when these people acquired these items which means they got them for free. Anyone (with common sense) who spends good money on items he "collects" expects his collection to at minimum keep most of its value........and if they don't care about the future value, they need to get their head checked.
    Rich >>

Collector = an individual who accumulates items without regard to importance or value......
    Reggie Jackson collected antique cars, many of which were incredibly valuable. Then one day, his "collection" fried. Do you think he was the least bit concerned with the value of his "collection"? DAMN STRAIGHT!!!
    It all boils down to perception. Sure, you can be a collector and not be concerned with value. That's easy to do when your stuff is not valuable. But, realistically, especially to many in this forum, determining value within your "collection" is vital. How else could you know how to even conduct a simple trade with another "collector" unless you knew the value?
  • Options
    "Collector = an individual who accumulates items without regard to importance or value......
    Reggie Jackson collected antique cars, many of which were incredibly valuable. Then one day, his "collection" fried. Do you think he was the least bit concerned with the value of his "collection"? DAMN STRAIGHT!!!
    It all boils down to perception. Sure, you can be a collector and not be concerned with value. That's easy to do when your stuff is not valuable. But, realistically, especially to many in this forum, determining value within your "collection" is vital. How else could you know how to even conduct a simple trade with another "collector" unless you knew the value?
    "

... well put Itzagoner. I completely agree.

• Options
    I simply can't believe that someone is willing to spend "X" amount of money on his collection but doesn't care if it holds its value or not. Anyone who can honestly say they don't care, obviously needs to get his head examined. I just can't believe how many people in this world don't have common horse sense.

No comment.
  • Options
    larryallen:
    Once again, I can understand not worrying about the value of a collection that was never worth anything to begin with, or not worrying about a collection that one didn't spend too much money on. With this said, I think I understand why onefast doesn't care about the value of his collection.

on a side note, I wonder when my new buddy will answer my questions......or maybe he doesn't like to be challanged.
    Rich
  • Options
    I have spent thousands on my collection just this year but I am not worried about whether it goes up, down, sideways, whatever in monetary value. I enjoy buying cards, opening packs, grading, completing sets, sharing with my family, chatting on these boards, etc.... I do NOT care if they go down in value. I don't need to sell so probably never will. Things may be tighter financially around your house so it's understandable that the value is important to you. image
  • Options
    larry:
    My gut feeling is that I'm better off financially (by a large margin) than you are....however, it is silly to argue about it. I assume that since you don't care about the value of your collection, you don't have it insured. All I can do is shake my head at you and wish I can see the look on your face if someday you realize that your collection isn't worth squat.
    Rich
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I simply can't believe that someone is willing to spend "X" amount of money on his collection but doesn't care if it holds its value or not. Anyone who can honestly say they don't care, obviously needs to get his head examined >>

Well, when you spend $8.50 to go to the movies, are you expecting some sort of monetary return on that $8.50? You're paying for the intangable benifit of entertainment.

Some folks like to spend "X" on their collections because it's entertaining for them to do so. It doesn't make them mentally ill or anything. Some folks might need to spend more to be entertained than others. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    digicat:
    I already said that if someone spends very little or nothing then I can understand not worrying about value. However, I find it hard to believe that you would spend $10,000 to go see a movie. I don't care about losing $8.50, but I sure do care about losing thousands of dollars.
    Rich
  • Options
    "on a side note, I wonder when my new buddy will answer my questions......or maybe he doesn't like to be challanged.
    Rich "

Rich... you haven't challenged me. I simply have more class... although I'm sure being Mr. last-word you'll feel otherwise,
    and prove me right.

I also find "My gut feeling is that I'm better off financially (by a large margin) than you are...." to be an interesting comment....
    yet another classic. Keep up the good work. I'm off to get my head checked... hope they find some good ol' fashion horse sense in there.

• Options
    My gut feeling is that I'm better off financially (by a large margin) than you are

You could be correct. I have a hunch it would be very difficult to ascertain such things so I will not try to compare. My guess is you are probably a mortgage broker who makes $800k a year and does not know what to do with your new found "wealth." You make $800k, spend $900k, and think you are wealthy. Or should I say that you made $800k a year for the last several years and are looking at $175k this year. That's just a wild guess. I am just a lowly partner at a small law firm but ends are meeting so I am not complaining.
    P.S. No, my collection is not insured.
    P.P.S. No offense toward mortgage brokers intended. I have several "loud" mortgage broker clients who are quite impressed with their ability to make money right now. Sort of like "day traders" around 1998.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I already said that if someone spends very little or nothing then I can understand not worrying about value. However, I find it hard to believe that you would spend $10,000 to go see a movie. I don't care about losing $8.50, but I sure do care about losing thousands of dollars. >>

Well, if someone's pitching $10,000 at a single card and it burns in a fire the next day and they just shrug and don't give it a second thought, then they must be wealthy beyond belief, or crazy. However, I was looking more at the long term.

Thinking of all the money I've spent on entertainment in the past 10 years (sports, nice restaurants, movies, theater, concerts, computer games, etc), I might get close or pass the $10 thousand mark. Wow, it gives me pause to think about it like that, but the feeling will pass and I'll still take my wife to the movies this weekend without any second thoughts.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    onefast....
    How can you say that you mave more class? You're the one who said that I talk about "junk", but were classless by not giving me examples. At least when I disagree with people I'll back up my talk with examples. I never admited to having a lot of class, but I can tell you that you don't have much either!
    If you're going to challenge or debate me, you better be ready with some concrete evidence or examples to back up what you're saying!
    Rich
  • Options
    I never admited to having a lot of class,

That's about the smartest thing you have said all day.
  • Options
    larry.....FYI...My wife and I are pharmacists. I'm currently a store/pharmacy manager and she is a pharmacy manager. Between getting paid well for the last 12 years, yearly bonuses, and a few good investments we are in very good shape. I spend quite a bit, but overall I save a lot more than I spend.
    Rich