Home Sports Talk
Options

The 'Official' Official Mariners Thread

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And again, those who think Cano should be the starter fail to address the immense protection he receives by having a fantasy lineup behind him. Put him in, oh, hell, Pittsburgh and watch his batting average hover at .240. >>

If nothing else, the above Axtell comment CEMENTS the idea that he will say ANYTHING to try and come out on top in a debate. This one is high level moronic for even the dim bulbs of the board like Ax. Its just a desperate rebuttle kind of like the one he used as he went down in flames in the Jeter debate. That was when he tried to claim Derek Jeter would have been a nobody in a place like Kansas City. image

Using that STUPID logic that only could come from a Axtell EVERY PLAYER in the big leagues would hit .322 their second year in the bigs if they played on the Yankees. EVERY sap who hits .240 would be hitting .322 on the Yankees because of the lineup image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    softy-

Do you honestly believe that he gets no help from having that lineup behind him? No doubt he still has to hit the ball, but he is getting much, much better pitches to see than he would on a lineup without a plethora of all stars behind him.

Your refusal to admit this as real just shows how BLIND you really are.

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Ax,

Exactly which member of the lineup hitting behind Cano are you referring to ? Last time I checked Cano has done most of his hitting at the bottom of the order with players you have proclaimed washed up like Bernie Williams hitting behind him. SO which is it ? You cant have it both ways. Either Cano is a good hitter on his own merit, or Bernie Williams is an offensive threat that provides Cano better pitches to hit.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>softy-

Do you honestly believe that he gets no help from having that lineup behind him? No doubt he still has to hit the ball, but he is getting much, much better pitches to see than he would on a lineup without a plethora of all stars behind him.

Your refusal to admit this as real just shows how BLIND you really are. >>

a .240 hitter somewhere else? why do you make such ridiculous assumptions? The guy can hit. Now I NEVER have said he is BETTER than Lopez. But just as good, you are the one trying to knock Cano down into a average second year guy because you spent so much time bashing him over the winter.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It's ironic that ax is derailing his own thread with Yankee talk.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats up with Richie Sexson? I would be willing to bet the steroid scandal did not effect him, much like Texeira he isn't putting up #'s like last year.
  • Options
    Sexson was injured in 2004, and had a great 2005.

M's had a tough loss last night, not many hits, Ichiro's hitting steak ended.

Hope the M's are able to rebound from the loss last night into another good winning streak.
  • Options
    Ax, I guess you missed my question so I will ask again...since you claim Cano is garbage and would hit .240 if not for all the big bats on the Yankees hitting behind him, which big bats are you referring to ? Cano has hit in front of Bernie almost all year, so either Cano is a good hitter on his own merit, or Bernie is still an offensive threat. Please tell me which it is, since you cannot make your claim regarding Cano AND make your claim regarding Bernie, since your two claims contradict each other. Please explain to me how this can be, I am very confused.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Why are you trying to derail this thread?

Cano does have lineup protection. I am done answering this. if you want more, ask in your 'precious' yankees thread.
  • Options

<< <i>Why are you trying to derail this thread?

Cano does have lineup protection. I am done answering this. if you want more, ask in your 'precious' yankees thread. >>

Actually ax, you are the one who first brought up Cano. Use the handy "find" function for IE and the first post that mentions him is yours:

"I don't have any illusions about Lopez being voted the starter, as Cano is going to get the (undeserving) starting job, but I do really hope his outstanding spring is rewarded with a selection."

He is only responding to your derailment of your own thread.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    You guys should really leave Ax alone on his Mariners thread. What's fair is fair, even if he is the only one who ever posts to it. Let it be that way.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    Bringing up Cano was a valid point, as he is the leading vote getter (and likely starter) for the all star game.

But the yankeeites can handle any criticism of their gods, err, players, so the derailment began there.

Stown, you still use IE? No wonder you're so pissy all the time now.

• Options
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bringing up Cano was a valid point, as he is the leading vote getter (and likely starter) for the all star game.

hey dope since you are done with me I may as well answer that with:

Cano is the starter and deservedly so.

Maybe the reason he is the top vote getter is because he is better then Lopez?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
  • Options
    Once more, WHO is Cano's protection Ax ?? Please tell us all. Is his massive protection in the order that has miraculously turned him from a .240 hitter to a .320 hitter the very same Bernie Williams that you personally have declared washed up ? You can invade and disrupt every Yankee discussion ever on here, yet you cry and run from the topic when you are called out on the Mariners thread ? Even after you brought it up to begin with ? Once again you have proven you are a mouth and nothing more. Hot air, with no thought or intelligence behind anything you say. Over and over you spew and spew without regard to what you are saying, and you just cant take it like a man when you are proven wrong.

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Hey Bri........get off the thread. You can't have it both ways. And BTY, you will only instigate what you don't want. WTF?
  • Options
    BTW, Cano had another 1-3 night with the powerhouse trio of Bernie, Bubba Crosby and Andy Phillips batting after him. More proof that either Cano does it on his own OR Bernie is the source of his success. I wish youd tell us once and for all which it is. Which rant were you wrong about, was it Canos ability on his own, or were you wrong about Bernie ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Axtell CAN'T answer this question with ANY substance. 100% true to his M.O. he drops the "ax" image and declares he is no longer interested in discussion. Once more than a few point out that the REASONS he gives for trying to dismiss the American Leagues 9th best hitter are nothing more than sloppy punches thrown by a drunk the turtles head slips back into the shell. Then after some undetermined time the head pops back out like nothing ever happened. Like clockwork every time .....

All the while NOBODY is trying to say that Cano is any BETTER than Lopez, but equal. Axtell did indeed derail his own thread by taking a UNSOLICITED shot at Cano by saying that he is "not deserving" of the all star votes that he has.

Guys in the Yankee thread don't take UNSOLICTED shots at any teams players. They talk about the YANKEES.

• Options

<< <i>Stown, you still use IE? No wonder you're so pissy all the time now. >>

Oh dear, did you think that attempted insult all by yourself? I'm quite happy with Microsoft, thank you very much.

As to being pissy all the time, uh, pot meet kettle. This is coming from a guy who does absolutely nothing but whine and complain.

You really should stop derailing your own thread, ax.
  • Options
    bri, softy, and stown-

I'm more than happy to address your mindless rants on your yankee thread. Why is it ok for you to come here and ruin a M's discussion when I respected your Yankees thread?

• Options

<< <i>Once more, WHO is Cano's protection Ax ?? Please tell us all. Is his massive protection in the order that has miraculously turned him from a .240 hitter to a .320 hitter the very same Bernie Williams that you personally have declared washed up ? You can invade and disrupt every Yankee discussion ever on here, yet you cry and run from the topic when you are called out on the Mariners thread ? Even after you brought it up to begin with ? Once again you have proven you are a mouth and nothing more. Hot air, with no thought or intelligence behind anything you say. Over and over you spew and spew without regard to what you are saying, and you just cant take it like a man when you are proven wrong. >>

Bri, it has to be Bubba Crosby, Andy Phillips, and Melky Cabrera that usually follow Cano in the order too. image In all reality, a pitcher is not gonna give Cano all of these meatballs that Axtell would have you believe ....

you would think that ONE DAY Axtell would admit how wrong he is about something. But it won't ever happen ... I have ate crow here more than a few times as have others. Axtell? Nope, he just will spin himself deeper and deeper to the point where nothing he says is credible.

Ax, nobody REALLY wants you to leave ...... just get REAL man image

• Options

<< <i>bri, softy, and stown-

I'm more than happy to address your mindless rants on your yankee thread. Why is it ok for you to come here and ruin a M's discussion when I respected your Yankees thread? >>

I think I ANSWERED this already Ax!
    Here it is again .....

All the while NOBODY is trying to say that Cano is any BETTER than Lopez, but equal. Axtell did indeed derail his own thread by taking a UNSOLICITED shot at Cano by saying that he is "not deserving" of the all star votes that he has.

Guys in the Yankee thread don't take UNSOLICTED shots at any teams players. They talk about the YANKEES.

• Options
    Go over to your yankees thread. I've taken this discussion there. Respect my Mariners thread as I have respected your yankees thread.
  • Options
    You have respected the Yankees thread ???

For all those reading this now please go directly to the Yankees thread and check how many negative posts Ax has left in the past 24 hours. As of this moment there are THREE on the last page of the thread alone. How, Ax, is that respecting the Yankees thread ? Please, tell us all just exactly how you have left the Yankees thread alone and respected it for us. You have shown the Yankees thread zero respect, you have left it alone zero times, and you have brought up a negative Yankee comment on your OWN MARINERS thread and then run and cried when you are called on it.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Ax,

While we are discussing derailment of threads, please tell us why you are derailing the David Wright thread with Yankee talk as well. I would like to know, as I am sure other would too, why there are negative Yankee comments on the David Wright thread. Why have you left several negative Yankee comments in the past 24 hours on that thread too ? Did you respect that thread for Met fans ? Do rules of etiquette and respect for others only apply to your thread ? Do they not apply to others as well ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    bri-

I know it's painful, but everything yankee related isn't always positive. You are so flooded with yankee propoganda day in and day out, I am sure that must come as a shock, but there is sometimes bad things that happen in yankee land.

Maybe your mommy can tell you a bedtime story so you won't have nightmares about it.

• Options
    Ax, the question was not about negative or positive Yankee talk, it was about derailment and respect of threads. You simply cannot answer one single question that is asked of you. You spin your answers and run from the issue. You want the Mariners thread left alone yet refuse to explain why you dont leave the others alone. You have refused to admit that YOU are the one who has brought up the Yankees in your own thread first. You have further refused to answer why you have bashed Cano and used the protection in the order as an excuse, when it has clearly been shown that Canos protection has largely been Bernie ( who you constantly bash as done, finished, washed up, etc ). You have refused to respond to the comment that either Cano is good on his own merit, or that Bernie isnt washed up since he is the big time protection you have ranted about. All the while keeping in mind that you were the one who brought up Cano in this discussion, not the Yankee fans.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    And in case your head has been in a cloud, I am not flooded with Yankee propaganda. I have bashed them more times than I can count. I have spoken negatively about Giambi, Sheffield, Johnson, and of course Arod ( who you endlessly defend ). Yet you choose to not only ignore any real question that is asked of you, but also the fact that I have not once stated in any way shape or form that all is positive in Yankee land.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    bri-

Cano is a hack, and anyone who doesn't think that hitting in a lineup with Arod, Jeter, and the rest of the 15 million dollar men doenst help is DELUSIONAL. Seek medical assistance IMMEDIATELY.

I brought up Cano because he is the leading vote getter, while Lopez should be the starter. You yankee fans, in your never ending zeal to force your hysteria on the rest of the population, couldn't dare allow anyone to speak negatively about the yanks.

Bernie IS washed up, again, you aren't allowing the light of truth to get past that wall of propoganda called YES that wants you to hope that Bernie still has some gas in the tank to relive the golden days when the yanks were winning championships, not the harsh reality that he's at the end of his career.

Now, is that clear enough for you?

• Options
    No it was not clear enough for me. All you have done is continue to bash solid players without providing any basis. It has been shown that Cano does not receive protection since he bats in front of neither Arod or Jeter on a regular basis, and you have bashed Bernie, who has shown that he is far from done. NY media can provide all the propaganda they want, but that doesnt help Bernie at the plate when he goes 3-5, 5-5, and so on. Just spewing hate without any merit commands neither respect, or answers the question at hand. Nor does any of it explain why you ask for silence on your thread for Mariners yet continue to disrupt the threads of others.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Cano is a hack image

yeah, look at the idiot FLAIL away has he its the ground. Ax, how does it feel to spend ALOT of your life in a place that EVERYBODY knows you are not only a complete jerkoff, but a DUMB jerkoff.

Beat feet skippy, Cano is just as good as your boy lopez and you have never been beaten more soundly on any topic more than you have been thrashed on this one.

Now, STOP taking UNSOLICITED pot shots at players in your crappy thread and people will "respect" imageit ya CLASSLESS pion.

• Options

<< <i> You simply cannot answer one single question that is asked of you. You spin your answers and run from the issue. You want the Mariners thread left alone yet refuse to explain why you dont leave the others alone. You have refused to admit that YOU are the one who has brought up the Yankees in your own thread first. You have further refused to answer why you have bashed Cano and used the protection in the order as an excuse, when it has clearly been shown that Canos protection has largely been Bernie ( who you constantly bash as done, finished, washed up, etc ). You have refused to respond to the comment that either Cano is good on his own merit, or that Bernie isnt washed up since he is the big time protection you have ranted about. All the while keeping in mind that you were the one who brought up Cano in this discussion, not the Yankee fans. >>

Bri,

ALL of these valid points you bring up are Axtell's METHOD OF OPERATION. Axtell NEVER answers back when called out but instead becomes more and more belligerent. The dummy has no clue that he DRAILED HIS OWN THREAD image

• Options
    /yawn

You yankee fans are a bore. What part of 'you can't convince me otherwise' don't you understand?

I am through discussing Cano's underserving all star nod, about Bernie being done (he is), and yankees in general on this thread.

Now if you want to discuss the Mariners, continue, otherwise, get the hell out.
  • Options
    Awww, gave up talking about it since you have zero answers and know you have been proven wrong once again. Be a man and admit it, you might leave yourself with a bit of dignity.

-- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>bri-

Cano is a hack, and anyone who doesn't think that hitting in a lineup with Arod, Jeter, and the rest of the 15 million dollar men doenst help is DELUSIONAL. Seek medical assistance IMMEDIATELY.

I brought up Cano because he is the leading vote getter, while Lopez should be the starter. You yankee fans, in your never ending zeal to force your hysteria on the rest of the population, couldn't dare allow anyone to speak negatively about the yanks.

Bernie IS washed up, again, you aren't allowing the light of truth to get past that wall of propoganda called YES that wants you to hope that Bernie still has some gas in the tank to relive the golden days when the yanks were winning championships, not the harsh reality that he's at the end of his career.

Now, is that clear enough for you? >>

Yeah....b/c hacks bat .320+ in their second season in the bigs....lol. He's better than Lopez, and he actually contributes to a winning club. Bernie at near 40 is still getting it done, and I guarentee you had he not been back this year nearly every team in the league would've tried to sign him even though he won't ever play for another club.

Why is it always you who whines and complains once you startup with the cheapshots, which 9 times out of 10 are immediately.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Mariners win again, taking 2/3 from the west leading padres and 5 of 6 from the Padres for the season series. Seattle has won 7 of its last 9.

-Richie Sexson went 5 for 5, 2 HRs, and has hits in 6 straight at bats (got a hit in his last at bat last night).
    -Ichiro had 3 RBIs
    -Raul Ibanez had 2 HRs last night, upping his total to 16, and has 60 RBIs.

M's are one game under .500, 4 back as Oakland continues to be hot.
  • Options
    Offensively, they are pretty close. Cano beats him in OB%, and Lopez beats in SLG%.

OPS
    Cano .791
    Lopez .780

That is pretty close. Neither steal, though Lopez has 2 SB and 0 CS. Cano 3 SB and 2 CS. That is like the addition of another double to Lopez's offense.

Park factor plays a role too. Seattle is a slightly tougher hitters park overall, and even more so when comparing it to left handed hitters at Yankee stadium.

It wouldn't be too difficult to call them even offensively.

Defensive measures will ultimately decide who the better player is.

And I still shake my head in wonder on how people could not see Adrian Beltre coming back to life after he epitomized what a career year, one year abberation looks like...espeically a MLB GM who would give him that dough for that long. I wouldn't trash Sexson, he certainly has value. Everytime I look at Ichiro, I look at Mauer and just marvel how valuable a player he is. For all the notoriety Ichiro gets, Mauer should be getting five fold!
  • Options
    It is great to see Ichiro come on as of late, he is proving again, that he is the best hitter in the game today. The Mariners have a legit shot of winning the west, and it would be great to see some smaller market teams go to the playoffs, Seattle is my home away from home!!!!!
  • Options
    Get off Axtell's tread. Bri - you need to exhibit some personal control. You appear to be a hypocrite. Put it back in your pants.
  • Options
    Another top pitcher, another pounding. Brandon Webb came in with a 8-3 record and 2.76 ERA...Seattle promptly lit him up for 5 earned in the first inning. He left the game in the 7th, giving up 7 ER.

Beltre continues to light it up since moving to the 2 hole...brilliant move by Hargrove to pull him out of the funk he was in..he's been crushing the ball. 3-5 tonight, 2 doubles, lifting his average all the way from under .200 to .255.

Lopez picks up another 2 RBIs, Ibanez crushed the ball, and Johjima has his batting average close to .300, with a huge 3 run homer tonight.

• Options
    Is it not great, that teams that were supposed to battle for last in their divisions, are now battling for division crowns, like the Mariners, the Tigers, and the Reds. Baseball is going to have a good summer!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Very happy to have Kenji as the catcher on my fantasy baseball team - someone gave up on him early, but he's been great for me as of late.
  • Options

<< <i>Very happy to have Kenji as the catcher on my fantasy baseball team - someone gave up on him early, but he's been great for me as of late. >>

He has been on and off in his calling games, but I think that the dramatic turnaround in the M's pitching staff has been his learning how to call games much better, and his bat has been electric.

• Options
    This team at 500 ball yet?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Before tonight's game, they are now 39-39.
  • Options
    Mariners roll again, 12-2 in interleague play. Thanks NL!

King Felix was dominating, 7 innings and 2 earned.
    Johjima comes up big again, 2-4 with 2 more RBI.
    Beltre continues to heat up, lifting his average to .258 with a 2 for 4 night.
    Lopez goes 3-5 and is batting over .280.

M's 40-39, continuing to surge, 8-2 over their last 10, Only 2.5 out. Not bad for a team that wasn't supposed to do anything this year.

Hey, WP, you wanna go piss up a flagpole and stay the hell out of my thread?
  • Options
    No, but I can piss in your mouth. I will post anywhere I choose you mutt.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>No, but I can piss in your mouth. I will post anywhere I choose you mutt.

Steve >>

Sorry, unlike your lady, not into the whole piss thing.

How did Pedro pitch today?