Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The official 1960 Topps set thread, show 'em off or just chime in

Comments

• Just wanted to bump this again and see if there are any active people building this set. It's still my favorite. I'm starting it for a 3rd time, i completed the first 2 but have needed to sell them to use the money elsewhere. If money was'nt an obstacle i would probably be working on a collection to rival the awesome works of Jim Crandall [Davalillo] Happy New Year to all. Phil
  • Phil,

Glad to see yet another '60 collector.

I am actively building the set in PSA 8 ... I'm about halfway home. I've got an absolutely PERFECT PSA 8 Mantle --- but still need a lot of the big guys. It's been a lot of fun to build this set. I originally started building it in 1988 at the age of 11. 20 years later I'm finishing what I started.

I've got some extra PSA 7's if you need any ... and a bunch of raw. Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Good luck!

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • marinermariner Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Tom....your PSA 8 Powers and Landis are on their way....I mailed them on Saturday.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
    Under the caption of "chiming in".....here are some new listings on ebay of 1960 Topps baseball for those interested.

thanks!!

1960 Topps PSA 8's & 7's
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • ManofmoeManofmoe Posts: 264 ✭✭
    New guy here. I'm going to attempt this set in psa 7, as it has long been my favorite vintage design. I'm just finishing college and don't have a ton of money, so this will probably be a lengthy process. But I would like to get as many of the commons as my budget will allow at the moment. Please let me know what you have.
  • PM Sent.

Welcome to the boards, Manofmoe.

Great to have you!

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    I have a 1960 Topps set all raw.Is it typical to find second series cards with black smudges on them especially the Sport Magazine Rookies and how does PSA treat these.I am considering have many of these graded in the future.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Fiveniner.

yes, it is typical to find black smudges on the Sport Magazine rookies.

From my experience:
    You can get PSA 8's with the black smudges --- but the smudges have to be minimal. I doubt you'd be able to get a 9 with anything but the tiniest of smudge. Excessive smudging will knock an 8-worthy card down to a 6 or 7.

I'll try and post some scans of mine to give you an idea.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fiveniner.

yes, it is typical to find black smudges on the Sport Magazine rookies.

From my experience:
    You can get PSA 8's with the black smudges --- but the smudges have to be minimal. I doubt you'd be able to get a 9 with anything but the tiniest of smudge. Excessive smudging will knock an 8-worthy card down to a 6 or 7.

I'll try and post some scans of mine to give you an idea.

-t >>

I appreciate your feedback.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Who'd a thunk it??

Mantilla Raw

Seriously?

Nick
    I don't know what happened there, but I was referring to eBay 190069903379

NM
  • SOM,

Wow!!!! $47 for a raw Mantilla?

I know the pop is low ... but that seems crazy.

I hope the winning bidder (who I believe is a member of this board) is able to pull the PSA 8 when he grades it!

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ...and I thought I had a shot with my woeful $11 bid...
  • Way too much for that card ungraded. maybe a 451- Curt Simmons if it had a legitimate shot at an 8.
    Hmmm...I wonder if that $47 Mantilla raw paid off for him, based on auction 260076127203....
  • It's a different card --- same buyer/seller.

basically, he buys raw cards off of ebay, grades them, and then resells them ebay for huge profits.

He's got a Curt Simmons PSA 8 up right now that's already over $220.

he's got a good eye!

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Anyone catch the Waverly '60 Topps auctions on ebay tonight.

all raw...

the Berra (listed NM-MT) went for OVER PSA 8 SMR at like $192.

the Mantilla tough commons (listed NM-MT) went for $90.

it is absolute madness what Waverly brings on his raw auctions. I ended up winning several and probably over-paying. I guess the PSA results will answer that question for me.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • What is the Mantilla in 8 going for these days? I have this beauty in my registry that I would be willing to sell for the right price.

View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Barkus,

The last PSA 8 mantilla on ebay sold 1/24 for $100 shipped. There was another that sold the week before for $269.

-Tom

- Building these sets:
  • Wow, that certainly is a big difference in price.
  • There has been some pretty hot activity lately. A few folks (who are members on this board) seemed to have perfected the "buy raw and flip graded" approach and are selling some low pop 8's for big, big bucks (Simmons went for over $500 last week).

Futhermore, there is one buyer who is hell-bent on building his set ASAP and seems to overbid on everything. IMO, he's single-handedly driving prices up.

It's been interesting to watch develop since about early Dec.

David, I'd be interested in your Mantilla --- but probably wouldn't be willing to give you triple digits for it.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Thought i would take a stab at posting in this thread in hope that some won has or knows where i can buy a PSa 7 McCovey Rookie. Anyone help? Thanks
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    I just got this graded. The pop is 2. It is a monster 9. I will auction it in a couple of weeks on EBAY. Charley Neal All Star #556. image
  • Mickey the link you posted just takes me to a CU web site, what card is it? thanks Phil
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    imageI am putting the 1960 Charlie Neal All Star PSA 9 on ebay tonight . Also some low pop cards from the 67 set.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    It has been awhile since anyone has posted to this thread! I am going to build a raw set and I am looking to buy some starter sets in the NM range. Please pm if you can help!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    I am breaking up my 60 Topps set and want to give board members a shot at the cards before they go one ebay. Here is a link to My set. I have lots of low pop 8s and 9s like Berberet, Mantilla, Dotterer, Murtaugh, Simmons and others. I have plenty of high grade stars (all 3 Mantles in PSA 8, Koufax in PSA 9, Clemente and Maris in PSA 8, etc.) as well as a large number of cards in the PSA 6 or 7 category. It really is a set that has something for everyone. All cards will be priced based upon recent ales prices as recorded by Vintage Card Prices. Send me a pm or email to barkusd@gtlaw.com with a list of the cards you need and we can go from there.
    David, I just sent you an email.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • David...PM sent

Dan
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
  • David,
    PM sent!
    Don, Dan, Phil and Kevin, PMs sent to each of you.
    I decided to list a few of the Stars and low pops tonight on ebay. All cards started at $.99 with no reserve and can be found via the link to my ebay listings in my profile below.

7 Master & Mentor Mays & Rigney PSA 9
    44 Bobby Locke PSA 9 19th Toughest in PSA 8 or better Pop 5!
    54 Mike Fornieles PSA 9 Pop 4!
    87 John Romonosky PSA 9 Pop 3!
    114 Ken Aspromonte PSA 9 Pop 2!
    124 Jim Donohue PSA 9
    143 Al Spangler PSA 9
    155 Charlie Neal PSA 9
    164 Reds Team Card PSA 9
    178 Woody Held PSA 9
    193 Dick Hyde PSA 9
    240 Luis Aparicio HOF PSA 9
    343 Sandy Koufax PSA 9
    3 Joe Ad**ck PSA 8
    10 Ernie Banks HOF PSA 8
    21 Dutch Dotterer PSA 8 23rd Toughest in PSA 8 or better!
    28 Brooks Robinson HOF PSA 8
    35 Whitey Ford HOF PSA 8
    52 Dave Philley PSA 8 25th Toughest in PSA 8 or better!
    100 Nellie Fox HOF PSA 8
    148 Carl Yastrzemski Rookie PSA 8
    176 Vada Pinson PSA 8 8th Toughest in PSA 8 or better!
    210 Harmon Killebrew HOF PSA 8
    223 Danny Murtaugh PSA 8 Super Tough. 1st one on ebay in years.
    528 Ben Johnson PSA 8 16th Toughest in PSA 8 or better!
    350 Mickey Mantle PSA 8
    160 Rival All Stars PSA 8

Most of the card are strong examples of the grades. These cards are all coming from my 60 Topps set which I am breaking up. All other cards in the set are still available directly at market prices based upon recent sales as tracked by vintagecardprices.com.
  • I wanted to share that I just made a purchase from BarkusD (my first) and I highly recommend him as someone to deal with.

Thanks again David!

Bill
    I bought 3 cards for my set from David.....all tough ones, but this one takes the cake. It is beautifully centered. thanks, David!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Great pick up Don! Tough card....

Dan
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
  • Great card Don, I wrote David asking about the card but you had already bought it. It's the only card i've never owned in an 8 from the 1960 set. take care Phil
    Phil, it was just one of those lucky instances. I noticed David's note about selling about an hour after he posted it. The card is beautiful and I am very pleased with the centering. With 18 of them out there now, there should be one come up for sale sooner rather than later. Good luck!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
    Don, I'm glad you are happy with the cards. You got three tough ones.
    I have dealt with David (Barkus) several times and in every case the cards arrived fast and were packaged securely. I just purchased several raw 1960 Topps and the cards were better than he described.

imageimage

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
    I am trying to put a raw set together in the EX to NM range and I am looking for a trading partner (or 2 or 3). I have the following doubles available to trade. If you would like a scan let me know:

Available for Trade

36, 60, 62, 63, 67, 68, 79, 78, 79, 112, 121, 123, 125, 127, 131, 140, 167, 167, 170, 171, 172, 177, 182, 186, 189, 194

I still need about 400 cards so I have a looong way to go! I have other years available also (including modern) just let me know what year(s) you are looking for.

I plan on buying the "Star" cards PSA graded. Depending on the player probably in the 6-7 range. My set certainly wont be an award winner, but I love the look of the 1960 cards. It is probably my all time favorite design.

Here is a scan to show average condition of the cards I have to trade:

JDRF Donation
  • I will agree with both Don and Bunker on their recommendation of David Barkus. I have had several transactions with him over the last few years and he has always been a reliable and fast seller and trade patner in all of our transactions.PB
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    guys pm me if you have any midgrade yankees your selling from 1960 topps..im working on yankee team sets from 58 through 61. Let me know!

Lothar52
  • I also had a smooth transaction with David on 1960 cards. I picked up about a dozen of cards from his set, all hi-end for their grades.
  • SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    A very, very nice PSA 8-9 1960 set is up on ebay. Item #330131868201. Any guesses as to the final price.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    My favorite Mantle card besides the '52 and the '56 is the 1960.

What a great picture of the Mick with a bat in his hand.

Anyone got a PSA 8 NQ Clemente for sale centered? Looking around for one.
  • I had another super transaction with BarkusD thru the boards. Quick delivery, well-packaged and centered cards with nice eye-appeal.

Thanks again David!

K
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I recently decided to start this set and have actually picked up a couple of cards from some of you. I am mainly going to work on a PSA 7 set but will also mix in some 8s when the price is right. Would very much appreciate it if you would let me know if you have doubles, extras etc in this grade that will help me get started with this set. Willing to buy what you have or can trade 64s for anyone working on that year.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Anyone??
  • I bought the complete 1960 set mentioned earlier in this thread...the problem is that I now have 80 dupes...all psa 8's...I also have this set upgraded in a folder...mostly a EXMT set with a few NM...I'd like to sell these...anyone interested...please pm me...

Thanks,
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Hello, just thought i'd revive this post. this is my favorite set, just curious if anyone did any tracking of the recent sell off of the number 2 ATF set by e bay seller South Florida Heat ending yesterday. i know they paid $90k plus buyers premium for the set on the last Mastro auction. also it looked like they may have sold some cards privately as a few key cards never went to e bay. PB