Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Name an overpriced classic US coin or coin series.

2»

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i always notice how lib half eagles are never mentioned as being
    over priced or under priced. it is like goldilocks thinks they are just
    right ;-)
  • Options
    1877 Proof IHC. No more rare than the 1874 or 1875 or many of the 1860's proofs which sell for a fraction of the 1877. The only thing that drives the price is the business strike coin being the key date. Another overpriced coin is the 1911-D $2.5 Indian, I've seen the same coins in dealers inventories near me for years, practically every Heritage auction has bucket loads for sale.
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    The most overpriced 18th century US type coin is the 1796 quarter - regardless of the grade.

Perhaps, the most overpriced 19th century type coin is the Philly Mint 1853 With Arrows quarter in Uncirculated condition.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another overpriced coin is the 1911-D $2.5 Indian, I've seen the same coins in dealers inventories near me for years, practically every Heritage auction has bucket loads for sale. >>

Disagree. As the only key date in the only US gold series that can be completed by someone of modest income, this coin has an extremely high demand that's driving its high price.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Another overpriced coin is the 1911-D $2.5 Indian, I've seen the same coins in dealers inventories near me for years, practically every Heritage auction has bucket loads for sale. >>

Disagree. As the only key date in the only US gold series that can be completed by someone of modest income, this coin has an extremely high demand that's driving its high price. >>

I am going to disagree with your disagreement. It's a series for which the pricing and perceived demand are heavily manipulated.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Please sell me one of thsoe overpriced 11-D's in MS-61.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mentioning of seated coins yet......safe so far. image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>No mentioning of seated coins yet......safe so far. >>

74-CC Dimes...how's that?

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I'd broaden that to the entire "CC" mintmark series.

I'd like one of these coins. I love the desert...I 'dig' the mines in Nevada...even though this is also where Endless Fields of Kitty Litter are found, I am a desert head.

Apparently everyone else likes "CC" coins too.

I'm not sure that folks would agree they are overpriced, as they are rare, historic and cool. They sure aren't priced cheap tho'.
  • Options

<< <i>adamlaneus, not all of us have cement in the back yard- just the wealthy neighbors..... Sorry I missed your visit to our area.imageRespectfully, John Curlis >>

steve

myCCset
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>1916 SLQ and Stellas, especially flowing hair. >>

Collectors who only look at population reports and "rarity ratings" always ignore the many additional and justifiable factors that contribute to a coin's value. One could easily rant about the ridiculous prices of so many Liberty Seated coins, despite their so called rarity.
    Coin value is not based on logic and scientific data alone, and never will be.
  • Options
    evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭

<< <i>IMO the entire coin market is presently overpriced.... there needs to be a correction... it will come. Cheers, RickO >>

I agree.
    Only exception is gold, relative to spot prices. Given the moves in gold I would expect common gold to be crazy insane right now and it is not.
    My gut is that there will be an overall correction in the near future - but that is just a gut feeling. What goes up must come down.....
  • Options
    The Lincoln, 1909-SVDB's are commonly found and overpriced. Most common date, dipped and stripped, AU, slabbed, Coronet $5 gold coins are overgraded and overpriced.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bust halves in low end AU are so very common compared to the high prices asked.

Tyler
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭✭
    1921 Peace dollars
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I have always felt S-VDB penny and 1877 Indian have been overpriced - but they chug along
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Disagree. As the only key date in the only US gold series that can be completed by someone of modest income, this coin has an extremely high demand that's driving its high price. >>

I am going to disagree with your disagreement. It's a series for which the pricing and perceived demand are heavily manipulated. >>

The 1911-D quarter eagle is my coin of choice when these "name an overpriced coin" threads pop up. To prevent a riot, I'll say the 1911 quarter eagle weak D is the most overpriced coin.image
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyler's XF Barber halves are WAY out of whack!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    morgans and lincoln cents are the biggies, I still think there's plenty of bargains out there though, with the biggest percentage gainer potentials still in the barber area, especially quarters and halves. Not all dates, but some of them.. in all grades.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Bust Dollars
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>The Lincoln, 1909-SVDB's are commonly found and overpriced. >>

It always has been and always will be. So it is written. image
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    If collectors are paying the prices how can you say anything is overpriced? The only overpriced coins would be those not selling because of their price. A better question would be: which US coin or series is not selling right now.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heraldic Eagle Bust $s in AU. These coins 'mysteriously' started becoming readily available after 'suddently' more than doubling in price about 8 years ago. They're still easily found, but most of them are harshly cleaned P.O.S., slabbed or not.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>I have always felt S-VDB penny and 1877 Indian have been overpriced - but they chug along >>

I completely disagree that the 1877 IHC is overpriced. It is expensive, but not overpriced. This coin is an example of a very low mintage date that was generally overlooked at the time of issue. Add this to the popularity factor and you have an obvious winner. The 1877 will continuously escalate in value over time. Solid problem-free FINE and above examples are extremely desirable. Even AG-VGs are doing well.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

<< <i>any and all coins I have and want to sellimage >>

I would love to run into an overpriced market on the coin I want to sell.image

MS-63 - 66 and/or PL common date Morgans, in plastic, are a terrible investment, or they have been since at least 1979. So I guess I would have to call them overpriced.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms Barber halves
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

<< <i>If collectors are paying the prices how can you say anything is overpriced? The only overpriced coins would be those not selling because of their price. A better question would be: which US coin or series is not selling right now. >>

Good point
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    1859 O and 1860 O Seated Dollar - these are hoard coins and the
    supply of nice coins is far greater than any other year !
    About 10 years ago a MS62 was about $1000 and priced far less
    than the next rarest coins, now they are $ 3000 + and priced
    allot closer to some of the other "commoner" dates.

1875S twenty cent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file