Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Name an overpriced classic US coin or coin series.

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
At current price levels, what is overpriced, ie., not selling well at current dealer asking prices. Let's limit the discussion to coins minted before 1934. (No modern bashing wanted.)
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgans
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost posted an answer...then I read how you defined overpriced ("not selling well at current dealer asking prices"), and I pulled my reply. Lately, everything gold is selling quite well. I would only add the Charlotte appears to be the laggard of branch mint gold coins, but a while back it was New Orleans and before that Carson City and so on...
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Stellas
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    MS65-66 Common date Morgans. 1932D & S Washingtons MS63/4. Dipped Ef-AU Barbers.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    any and all coins I have and want to sellimage
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Common as water CC Morgans are finally approaching sane valuations I think.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>Common as water CC Morgans are finally approaching sane valuations I think >>

No, still over valued.

Bag toned Morgans may not be able to sustain levels attained at the Battle Creek auctions.

Price increases of generic gem Saints beyond bullion value moves make no sense--how many buyers are really gong to collect a set of these?

CG
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    $3 Gold - if you have some, I would advise selling it quick...

(...so that prices come down and mortal collectors like me can again have dreams that are within reach.)
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgans

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    1856 FE cent
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    I can see where we might think a series is overvalued but I don't understand how we can pick a certain coin and say that one is overpriced.

There are probably truck loads of silver quarters out there, but to say a 32-D or S is too high is (IMHO) wrong. I believe they (along with 1856 Flying Eagles) are priced at what the market will bear. Whatever their grade is.

Compare proof IHCs with mintages around 1000/2000 to circulated Morgans with mintages in the hundreds of thousands. It would seem that proof IHCs would win hands down yet a mid key Morgan (93-CC, 95-O, ect.) in a average circulated grade will beat them every time. Does that make the Morgan overpriced? The proof IHC undervalued? That decision is ultimately made by the collector.

Personally, I believe that we are on a toning frenzy at this time. Common coins with eye blasting toning are going for moon money at this time. Are they overvalued? I think so, but there certainly enough of you out there who would think I am wrong. Toned coin discussions rule the boards nowadays.

Numismatics is a hobby, nothing more. When the price of a coin reaches the point where we won't buy, then it will come back to where we will buy. A coin that doesn't sell because of a high price just becomes a ball and chain around a dealer's leg.

Thats my take on it anyway

Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    The more common early eagles are REALLY high. The rarer ones are not overpriced.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The more common early eagles are REALLY high. The rarer ones are not overpriced. "

Tom, very interesting comment -- it seems that you are saying that common early eagles are selling for high prices, but may not be overpriced, and the rarer ones definitely are not overpriced.

Question >>> are any early eagles really common? They are such amazing coins, it does not surprise me that demand for the relatively more common ones has sent prices soaring.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I think the entire Bust Series coinage is grossly overpriced. My advice is to avoid all of them, especially in AU grades.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Curly's reply to my suggestion that 32D-S Washingtons (MS63/4) are overpriced is in right because the supply demand is equal. While true, I think Washington Collectors have switched their demand towards really eye-appealing AU examples. Both prices may be "right" but the best value and interest is in nice AU's. Same with nice original undipped Barbers.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1856 FE cent >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1916 S.L. Quarter-There are quite a few of these around.

I totally disagree with $3 gold pieces being overvalued-if anything they are undervalued--i have been collecting for 47 years and have yet to obtain one. They are very elusive in nice collectable condition like AU. image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with the 32-d washington quarter Too many for sell and not enough buyers at the 63/64 level. Many have to be discounted to sell. Expect to see continued price drop on those???
  • Options
    The whole Buffalo Nickel series is just getting almost uncollectable in mint state . I dont know if it was the State quarter program or the Commemoratives that shot this series up so quickly, but i wish i would have gotten the keys first. If you look at some price guides from 7 years ago some of the dates have nearly doubled.

I know you said before 1934, but I consider the 1937-D 3 leg buffalo to be a classic coin that is seriously overpriced. Also the 1918/7-D buffalo is slightly overpriced in my opinion, just in the lower grades though.All the D and S coins from the 20's are just ridiculous. If you look at the high mintages and the prices of this series as compared to the other denominations of this era, you'll see what i'm talking about.

I still love the series, its just that they are getting out of my range. Before i know it , ill be reduced to assembling an acid date set.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still love the series, its just that they are getting out of my range. Before i know it , ill be reduced to assembling an acid date set.

image You may be onto something here--could be rated below Po1

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $20 High Relief Saints
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I know you said before 1934, but I consider the 1937-D 3 leg buffalo to be a classic coin that is seriously overpriced. Also the 1918/7-D buffalo is slightly overpriced in my opinion, just in the lower grades though.All the D and S coins from the 20's are just ridiculous. If you look at the high mintages and the prices of this series as compared to the other denominations of this era, you'll see what i'm talking about."

I agree with your statements on the '37-D and 18/17-D except to say that the 18/17-D is WAY overpriced in the lower grade ranges IMO. As to the Branch Mint coins from the late 'teens thru the late '20's, mintages and VF and better survivorship have little or no correlation as many never were struck with VF or better detail to begin with. I think you could reduce those mintages by 2/3 when taking this into account.

Of course, under today's grading standards a full horn is not necessary for a VF grade-OK for those dates that never had a full horn to begin with. But this "official ANA grading standard" is continually abused by sellers who apply it to dates that normally come with a good strike, such as the '14-D and S and '15-S. Those grading standards are way too vague when it comes to this series, but, aside from that it's the slabbing companies, not the ANA that is setting the grading standards anyhow.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"The more common early eagles are REALLY high. The rarer ones are not overpriced. "

Tom, very interesting comment -- it seems that you are saying that common early eagles are selling for high prices, but may not be overpriced, and the rarer ones definitely are not overpriced.

Question >>> are any early eagles really common? They are such amazing coins, it does not surprise me that demand for the relatively more common ones has sent prices soaring. >>

No what I meant is that the common ones are overpriced and yes they were especially amazing when few collectors wanted to buy them in AU-58 when the prices were 7 grand.

The buyers are auctions seem to disagree with that. However I wouldn't pay those prices. Where's the thumbs down icon?
  • Options
    Trade Dollars
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full band/ full bell line / full head / full anything designated 20th century coins. When you can buy a coin in MS-66 that almost has full bands, and it costs $25, and a slightly better coin with sharper bands costs $8,000, you have to wonder whether there is any basis to that valuation except Registry set competition. I personally like Merc.'s, Frankies, SLQ's, etc. that are well struck, but don't have the pricey "full ___" designations on the slabs. Those coins are still priced within the realm of sanity.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    The word "overpriced" in reference to coin values always bugs me.
    So we now see the prices of certain coins go through the roof, sit in dealers cases and auctions, stagnate further and become discounted, right?
    Now the so-called overpriced high relief twenty is available at THE PERFECT PRICE. What would that price be? How about a nice dramatic 1/2 price for that MS high relief twenty? Would you buy it then?
    Would you rather put your money in a more "undervalued" early Coronet twenty or Capped Bust quarter?
    I for one, would not.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    It is all still supply and demand. Morgans continue to prove that out. What now needs to be factored in is the increase in the collecting community. It may be a stretch, but I think state quarter collectors who move on (or should I say up) are driving the demand for Washingtons. It is a logical extension. (I have no hard data to support this, but would present the hypothesis for testing).

The influx of new money to the hobby has to drive the prices up somewhere as there is a discrete number of classic (whatever that means) collectible coins. More money chasing the same coins = higher prices across the board. Because coins is such a thinly held market, there will be anomalies based upon preference, not rarity. That is why the high relief Saints will continue to command big $$. Just MHO on this.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    All Bust Halves (Half Dollars and Half Dimes)
  • Options
    Bump. Found this as I was bored today. Please discuss.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Indian Half Eagles seem to be staying in inventories a lot longer, prices have slowly been moving down on these but are still staying in inventories.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Barber coins
  • Options
    It's easier to name one or two that are not overpriced.

Shield and three cent nickels
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's easier to name one or two that are not overpriced.

Shield and three cent nickels >>

Somehow these seem to be the least collected relative to the population available.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the entire coin market is presently overpriced.... there needs to be a correction... it will come. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    What is the Basis of the value of the Dollar that should be evaluated prior to discussing a particular coin or series being overpriced? Should the "overpriced" analysis be simply what the coins' or series' price was 1,2,3,5 or 10 years ago vs. the price now, without consideration of the $ buying power? My example would be the price of "generic" Saints that was mentioned. . Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    In the overpriced category, I would place proof gold, early dollars, and 20th century pop-tops.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1834 Bust Dollars.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying to buy a 1908-S IHC in MS63-64 RB and a 1909-S Lincoln (not the VDB) in MS63-64RB for my type set. The prices on each of these have seemed to jump a couple of hundred each in the past month or two, making them at least seem "overpriced" to me. Might end up being a bargain though if the run up continues?? Can never really tell where the top of the market is...
  • Options
    The 1837 small 5c. capped bust half dime. I will help you out by taking any of these overpriced widgets off your hands (at a substantial discount, of course).image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic head gold in AU for common dates. Certain bust coins are getting overpriced and not moving from inventory as fast as a couple of years ago.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Indian Heads
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Anything with the date of 1888 seems to be way overpriced due to a certain culture's superstition about how lucky the number 8 is.

What floors me is that these same folks petition cities to renumber their street address to get more '8's. And to eliminate '4's.
  • Options

<< <i>Anything with the date of 1888 seems to be way overpriced due to a certain culture's superstition about how lucky the number 8 is.

What floors me is that these same folks petition cities to renumber their street address to get more '8's. And to eliminate '4's. >>

I have never heard of that before.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything with the date of 1888 seems to be way overpriced due to a certain culture's superstition about how lucky the number 8 is. >>

I can't find any nice EF/AU 1888 IHCs for less than double the sheet. As a result I still have a kinda crappyish dark VF in my collection.

My vote for most overpriced? AU Type 2 gold dollars. The scarcity of BUs and type coin pressures make these sell for a ridiculous premiums even for the common dates, which are nearly as common as dirt in AU.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I learned this when house hunting, five years ago.

One of the houses, a small place...was owned by a couple with these beliefs. Most doorways, closets and drawers had a little thumbprint of paint in a contrasting color. There were little mirrors glued over portals all over the place. The owners petitioned the city to get more '8's in their street address. I think the number '4' rhymes with a bad word, so it is to be avoided.

But...what killed the deal for me (besides paying 700k for an odd 1000 sq ft house)? The scary redneck neighbor with the mean dog, loud crappy music, big truck lifted 12 inches and cement back yard.
  • Options
    adamlaneus, not all of us have cement in the back yard- just the wealthy neighbors..... Sorry I missed your visit to our area.imageRespectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>

But...what killed the deal for me (besides paying 700k for an odd 1000 sq ft house)? The scary redneck neighbor with the mean dog, loud crappy music, big truck lifted 12 inches and cement back yard. >>

You must live in California. image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything with the date of 1888 seems to be way overpriced due to a certain culture's superstition about how lucky the number 8 is. >>

This has even happened to ultra-modern NCLT with the Canadian $8 dollar coins.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    1916 SLQ and Stellas, especially flowing hair.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file