Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts and feedback on a nicely toned Peace Dollar

I really like this 1923-P Peace Dollar and would like some opinions on it. To me it looks GORGEOUSimage and I know Peace Dollars are next to impossible to find with real pretty original toning, but what are some of your thoughts from those more familiar with Peace Dollars?image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but that coin is blatant AT. Looks like something tonecoin2003 cooked up.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    my first thought after reconsidering it for several seconds, and
    before reading Russ's post, was album toning of some sort.

but i am just guessing.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    It is a great Toner, but it kinda looks AT Dizz.....Sorry image

TC71

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh boy here we go again. What is this.............3?
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before I comment, I need to know if this is a board member.... and if there is a "story" as well. It DOES matter ya know!!!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see the coin in hand--the blue doesn't look right, but I'm not sure how blue that patch really is in hand, vs. the picture.

Luckily, I already have a monster peace, so I don't have to worry about it imageimage
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen a toned peace dollar that I liked.... still.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quick look at the other coins the seller has up on eBay right now tells the whole story.

Click here to see all their auctions
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see images of some of those coins in the holder. Many of them look like they made heavy use of the saturation slider.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never seen a toned peace dollar that I liked.... still. >>

I'll try...

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $4000 for a peace dollar?? Ain't no such animal. Well, --Maybe a high end proof. i am not much of a fan of toning and as someone else stated earlier you don't see many Peace dollars with nice toning.image
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like to see images of some of those coins in the holder. Many of them look like they made heavy use of the saturation slider.

Russ, NCNE >>

I saw a few of those coins at this past month's Parsippany show and I have to say that what shows in the pictures is what they look like in hand.

I remember this one specifically and I can tell you that the color is right on from what it looks like in hand.
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    $4k???????????????????????

yikes.

TPN mentioned recently that he might be selling off his hoard, maybe you'll get lucky and snag one of those.....
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the only thing cooked in that auction is the photo. The coin looks NT, but the photo lookes juiced...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    I won't comment on the Peace dollar without seeing it in hand, even then I've not seen more than a couple like it.
    As far as the images go, anyone who has tried to scan or photograph a toner knows how tough it is to get an image that accurately portrays the coin without some photoshopping. I have seen a couple of my old freinds appear on that sight, and the images were dead on. Just my 2 cents. image
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    OH...MY...GOD

Here we go again! NGC just can't help themselves can they?
  • Options
    Not $4K nice!! No way a Peace dollar sells for $4,000 just because it has a rainbow crescent.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    for all you chuckleheads,, that peace $ is naturally toned, and is very sweet in hand, and im sure that fellow dealer has a bit of room to workimage
    toner loner
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Looks 100% NT to me.

Crescent follows the right color pattern, though the blue is a little unerving. It is a possible color, and the pastel center of the peace is very common in Monster toners.

Nice coin though Id only pay about 1/16th of their asking price.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toned... Peace Dollar... NGC Holder... Hmmmmmmm

Oy.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely NT, but $4k is a tad excessive.
  • Options
    I like it....I think it's NT...and that seller who's inventory/reputation is being smeared through the mud is a personal friend that I would trust with my Kids. If you don't like the coin....that's your business but to constantly make assertions about someone's photos or coins being AT without seeing the coin in hand is just plain crazy.....several have already stated the coins look very close in hand and I will jump on that band wagon as I own 4 or 5 stunning toners purchased from Gary.

Now go bash moderns or hunt down the desperados ripping folks off on Ebay or something else to occupy your time and leave the good dealer alone. image
  • Options
    Gary
    We are all about eye appeal
    Island Coins Website
    Island Coins E-Bay Store
  • Options
    Actually, the coin looks nothing like the work of tonecoin2003, gototoning or whatever else that nimrod calls himself. In my opinion the coin is the real deal, which is why I paid a few grand to own it. Anyone else I have shown the coin to in person has also held the same opinion. Many of them post here often. At the last Baltimore show in light of "Peace Gate" I gave NGC that particular Peace Dollar along with a few others I have in my inventory for a second look. They confirmed what I had already felt and what they had felt when they initially holdered the coin. They believe the toning is natural, as do I. As far as the price tag, why do people pay 23k for common date toned Morgans, $4500 for common date toned Walkers or why would I spent 80k on common date toned Morgan Dollars in the Battle Creek auctions? I guess some of us are just nuts. As far as the popeil Jucie Master being used, not so.
    Gary
    We are all about eye appeal
    Island Coins Website
    Island Coins E-Bay Store
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Looks NT to me. And very nice. The price is orbiting the moon, but that is the norm nowadays.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it....I think it's NT...and that seller who's inventory/reputation is being smeared through the mud is a personal friend that I would trust with my Kids. If you don't like the coin....that's your business but to constantly make assertions about someone's photos or coins being AT without seeing the coin in hand is just plain crazy.....several have already stated the coins look very close in hand and I will jump on that band wagon as I own 4 or 5 stunning toners purchased from Gary.

Now go bash moderns or hunt down the desperados ripping folks off on Ebay or something else to occupy your time and leave the good dealer alone. image >>

image I simply wanted constructive opinions on this coin that actually contain substance. Not silliness from some who have never seen the coin in-hand. I know this forum is an open forum and all opinions are welcome and appreciated, but let's try to keep it within the context of fairness and reality. I think Gary's coins on his website are some of the coolest toners around and I never doubted the authenticity of the toning on this Peace Dollar, I just simply wanted input as to the desirability and difficulty of such a nicely toned Peace, because I have learned (thanks to this forum)image that nicely toned Peace Dollars are quite scarce.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I like it....I think it's NT...and that seller who's inventory/reputation is being smeared through the mud is a personal friend that I would trust with my Kids. If you don't like the coin....that's your business but to constantly make assertions about someone's photos or coins being AT without seeing the coin in hand is just plain crazy.....several have already stated the coins look very close in hand and I will jump on that band wagon as I own 4 or 5 stunning toners purchased from Gary.

Now go bash moderns or hunt down the desperados ripping folks off on Ebay or something else to occupy your time and leave the good dealer alone. image >>

image I simply wanted constructive opinions on this coin that actually contain substance. Not unjustified nonsense from some who have never seen the coin in-hand. I know this forum is an open forum and all opinions are welcome and appreciated to an extent, but let's try to keep it within the context of fairness and reality. I think Gary's coins on his website are some of the coolest toners around and I never doubted the authenticity of the toning on this Peace Dollar, I just simply wanted input as to the desirability and difficulty of such a nicely toned Peace, because I have learned (thanks to this forum)image that nicely toned Peace Dollars are quite scarce.image >>

Sorry Dizz - my personal opinion is that NGC recently (or maybe not so recently) made a policy decision to sell out and not make an effort to screen AT. I have witnessed too many times in the last few months - a common date PEACE $ (or other common date coin) with "unique" "never seen before" monster toning in a new NGC star holder going for moon money. Call my observation what you like., but you can't ignore this trend. I think NGC is on a slippery slope right now....
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>I'd like to see images of some of those coins in the holder. Many of them look like they made heavy use of the saturation slider.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, were you referring to the coins linked in Cladiator's post above yours?image
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Oh my.....that has GOT to be the best golden piece of crap that I have ever seen!
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    I saw that coin when Island Coins purchased. That coin is NT and Very attractive in hand. It's a coin that I would be pleased to own.
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, but that coin is blatant AT. Looks like something tonecoin2003 cooked up.

Russ, NCNE >>

Who is tonecoin2003? Can't find that ID on ebay.

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    tonecoin2003 aka gototoningcoins
  • Options

Shane, I agree with your above statement, This is certainly the brainless basher's forum. Most who bash toners here have never owned a decent toner.image
    Michael
  • Options

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, were you referring to the coins linked in Cladiator's post above yours?image >>

Maybe he was talking about these? link That same background somehow changes colors from shot to shot...........hmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    For what it's worth, I "made" this coin at the 2005 FUN show on an NGC walk-through. The (non-distracting) blue in the right field was always been a bit troubling to me but the rest of the tone was in perfect NT order. The best Peace Toner I have ever owned...well worth the dough IMO.

Doug

(edited for grammar)
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, were you referring to the coins linked in Cladiator's post above yours?image >>

Maybe he was talking about these? link That same background somehow changes colors from shot to shot...........hmmmmmmmm >>

What does my listing have to do with this thread?

• Options
    Hadleydog, I asked you a question. Why did you say that Russ was referring to my listing?

• Options
    What does my listing have to do with this thread?

Example of image saturation. Why?
  • Options
    I think Russ was referring to all of Island Coins' listings mentioned in the link that Cladiator provides.

I asked to make sure that was indeed what he was referring to.

And you attack me out of the blue for asking a question? I didn't even say a thing about the coin that dizzy posted.

• Options

<< <i>Sorry, but that coin is blatant AT. Looks like something tonecoin2003 cooked up.

Russ, NCNE >>

But now that it has been explained that tonecoin2003 is gototoning, I get where the other posters were going.

It is totally absurd for you, Hadleydog, to attack me for what others said about Island Coins coins and images.

• Options

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

Short term memory loss, dude?
  • Options

<< <i>Before I comment, I need to know if this is a board member.... and if there is a "story" as well. It DOES matter ya know!!! >>

Ya see? Now y'all in trouble!!!!image
  • Options
    Not me. I didn't, and haven't, said a word about the coin, no matter what Hadleydog's smokingimage

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but that coin is blatant AT. Looks like something tonecoin2003 cooked up.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    Calling "detective" Braddick. Hahaha
  • Options

<< <i>Shane, I agree with your above statement, This is certainly the brainless basher's forum. Most who bash toners here have never owned a decent toner.image >>

Oh really ? Show me an unquestionably original coin with pretty toning and I will give it some props. I have a news flash for you - You don't need to be a member of TCCS to understand color and originality. Don't be so quick to dismiss dissenting opinions. Some people are jerks with agendas as you say, but some others are truly concerned about what is popping up in holders today, particularly newer NGC.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Geeze,

Nobody Screemed AT back when this thread about the same coin came up! Toned Peace NGC MS 65* image

I would LOVE to Own that NT Peace!

Scott

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options

<< <i>Geeze,

Nobody Screemed AT back when this thread about the same coin came up! Toned Peace NGC MS 65* image

I would LOVE to Own that NT Peace!

Scott >>

Meaning what? The people who expressed that opinion here today, and I didn't, just didn't comment about it then. You can't seriously be saying that means they are hypocritical for saying it's AT now?

Let them have their opinions! Lighten up.

• Options

Russ, NCNE >>

Wow, since dizzy ttt'd the thread from last year, and a comparison of images can be made, I think I see what you mean. Plus the hit(s) seen and mentioned in the thread from last year (Bear has best Peace, uofa author) seem to be gone in the image dizzy posted here.image

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Wow! POS. But I wouldn't mind owning it. Wouldn't shell out more than $500, though. "World's Finestly"???image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file