Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An uninformed pawnbroker is a collectors best friend!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    FYI, the set has been sold to a collector who made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Being a WANNABE-WANNABE, I did the turn and burn...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ., you know, i pawned that walker here near Chicago .............was on my way

to get it out of hock and the pawnbroker sez some guy just walked out the door with it !!

He described the guy as such .......... " eye`s bulging out of head suckie lookin` fellar "

image;
  • Options

<< <i>Now why would you say that? >>

No offense to you and I think you did real well (and nothing wrong)

I just think that it seems odd that anyone would have a set like that for a long period of time and not have any idea of its value. To sell it at a pawnshop for so little makes me suspect. I think the pawnshop owner was just dumb. Around here the pawnshops usually want $100 for a worn Morgan.

I am probably wrong but it was just my feeling. In any event it's not your problem, you did real well , congrats.

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭
    Went to 6 pawn shops in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area, and not a single one had coins. Just one more reason to love Arizona!

One guy said he sells all the coins he gets to local coin dealers. image
  • Options
    ..............Pawnshop coins are never hot are they ??
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Dummy, you paid more then silver value

for them two coins.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    .........my ole' walker looks like a freaking ULTRACAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    pawnshops get the stigma that they deal in hot goods mostly from the old rod stiger movie, pawnshops are closely monitored by the police departments in their area most require finger prints and photos of the customer pawning the merchandise. this information is then matched to lost stolen reports accross the country. granted coins dont have serial numbers but if you had your 1939 set stolen i bet you'd report that to the police. anyway most stolen property these days gets fenced to the streets for drugs guns etc... in colorado it is 4 felonies just for trying to pawn merchandise that doesnt belong to you, even if your a family member who just borrowed it from the spouse or parents. marty is lucky he has a pawnbroker in his area that even deals in coins the only ones that i can find only deal in gold coins and then they melt them most of the time.
  • Options
    Holy CARP! That is a score that most can only dream of Marty! Congrats............
  • Options
    I have a local shop in my area that buys coins from customers and sells them at melt. I recently bought 12 rolls of unopened frankies and a couple of opened uncirculated. I also scored a 1953 proof frankie at just above melt. I am going back today and see what else he has...

There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • Options
    GO Marty, I here YA!!!!!!!!
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
  • Options

<< <i>pawnshops are closely monitored by the police departments in their area >>

Bwaaaa ha ha haaa .

I got my house robbed, the police said watch the pawn shops and let them know if any thing turned up.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>pawnshops are closely monitored by the police departments in their area >>

Bwaaaa ha ha haaa .

I got my house robbed, the police said watch the pawn shops and let them know if any thing turned up. >>

exactly.....
    like we have time to do that.image
    someone fed you a line of crap for sure.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In California, pawn shops are required to report only PAWNED coins. Purchased coins are not reportable as they are unidentifiable in court. However, the pawned coins remain in the safe with the name of the pledgor and all applicable paperwork. Purchased coins are ...gone... once sold. The purchase records are there, but the coins may be sold 10 seconds after purchase.

We were pawn AND coin. Bad news as no "bargains" slipped by.

Edited to add that when the cops say "watch the pawn shops" it's code for "don't bother." They know which items can be recovered and which can't. And ....usually.... the victim has no records or identifying photos.
  • Options
    goose i am a pawnbroker you idiot you have the typical closed minded idea that the pawnbroker is a crook, how many of the coin dealers do you know take photos and fingerprints hold the merchandise for up to 30 days so the police can check to see if you even filed a report. indianheadman did you talk to the pawn detail or did you get a flatfoot who has been on the beat for 3 months. everyone on this forum claims that they like to rip does that make them pawnbrokers because they took advantage of someone who is less informed or as many believe desperate.
  • Options
    DESERTRODENT...... save yer breath. NOBODY....(cept us shylocks)....knows that WE are the FIRST line of defense AGAINST hot stuff. They have NO idea that MOST of the stolen property cases get SOLVED....because..... of the pawnbroker records.

They will never "get it." At least not until or unless they actually put on the visor and SEE how many hoops pawn customers jump through before they get their cash.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>goose i am a pawnbroker you idiot you have the typical closed minded idea that the pawnbroker is a crook >>

Since Goose is a Cop I'd guess he has a pretty good handle on stolen goods activity.

<< <i>indianheadman did you talk to the pawn detail or did you get a flatfoot who has been on the beat for 3 months. >>

His experience is not unique. In the fall of 2002 my shop was burglarized twice in under two months and twice I was told the same thing by the investigating officers: Check with the pawn shops in the area.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ, it's a RARE cop that knows the ...pawn... procedures. Fortunately we had a VERY knowledgeable pawn detail who KNEW that the pawnbroker who makes all the right moves is just as deserving of restitution as the first victim.

I had cops from outlying areas come cowboying in and I just referred em to ....Jerry.... and they came off the phone saying, "Jeez, I didn't know that we couldn't just come in and take stuff."

A sticky wicket, but I know that we alone busted several crooks. AND we got our money back through the court (as the law states)

One guy paid us about 7 bucks a month from his prison job. BUT..... he paid. (Condition of release)

The pawnbrokers are a crook's WORST enemy. The decent ones.

Edited to add that anyone who gets told "check the pawn shops" by a cop should get a badge number and the extension of the watch commander. That is sloppy (and illegal) police work. Pawnbrokers file the reports and mail them (or electronically file them) EVERY day. The cops ALREADY know who got what.
  • Options

<< <i>goose i am a pawnbroker you idiot you have the typical closed minded idea that the pawnbroker is a crook, how many of the coin dealers do you know take photos and fingerprints hold the merchandise for up to 30 days so the police can check to see if you even filed a report. indianheadman did you talk to the pawn detail or did you get a flatfoot who has been on the beat for 3 months. everyone on this forum claims that they like to rip does that make them pawnbrokers because they took advantage of someone who is less informed or as many believe desperate. >>

Desertrodent

where in the hell did I say or imply that pawnbrokers are crooks? Please enlighten me and tell me or show me.

Maybe you have my post confused with someone elses........that or you just have your head up your ass..........which would explain your talking from it.

My comment did nothing other than to point out that WE do not have the time or the people to watch pawnshops for stolen goods.....we can and do occasionally check with them if we have a large burglary (say of Jewelry for example). Some are friendly and some are not. I have a local coin guy that will call me when he gets odd stuff in and run names by me. And yes, we will occasionally tell people that if they'd like, they can also check with pawnshops. (note, there are no pawnshops in our city and only 2 or 3 in the neighboring one)

And here in Ohio, I believe the only thing they need to pawn something is a photo ID. I also believe that the shops compile a list of property and report it to the local jurisdiction monthly or so as well.

but what do I know. Now who's the idiot?image
  • Options
    Topstuf.....Sloppy and ILLEGAL police work? image

That is a laugher!

Yes, get someone's badge number so you can call his supervisor. That supervisor probably could use a good laugh after speaking on the phone with someone complaining about that or claiming that to be illegal police work. By all means, take up more of our time with useless complaints.
  • Options
    Well, goose, if you REALLY want to know if it's illegal, check with a pawnbroker. I doubt you will, but my lawsuit against the city for violation of due process is a matter of record.

When it states that "any" police officer may demand the production of evidence, there is a whole lot of procedure that needs to be done first.

And....since the cops have the records of all pawns and buys from the pawnshop, do you still think that their telling YOU to "check the pawnshops" is good police work?

I'm retired from it and knew the laws in Calif. You don't and there is no reason you should. But the law is on the books and when I asked for a probation officer to be JAILED for failing to notify me of a hearing, it was no longer a joke. They looked it up then.

And learned something they didn't know.

• Options

<< <i>I have a local coin guy that will call me when he gets odd stuff in and run names by me >>

Man, would you give me a name or address? That guy is open to every civil rights violation a smart lawyer could dig up. The penalies are SEVERE for divulging private information to private parties.

I wonder how many people he has told what YOU buy from him or sell to him.

THAT is a complete wonder.

Guy must have one helluva deep pocket to be so cavalier with his mouth.

Wow!
  • Options
    i`m sure some states may have different laws regulating pawn shops, my bother just opened a pawn shop in florida and his computers must run software that is accessable at anytime by his local police dept. so they can check inventory for stolen items. he and the customer has to jump through many hoops to do any buisness. it`s not like it used to be..... just my 2 cents
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    goose your statement of<P> exactly.....
    like we have time to do that.
    someone fed you a line of crap for sure. <p> could have been misinterpted as it was your house that was robbed. Not that you as a police officer, have the luxury of being able to check every one of the 3 pawn shops in your local area. my statement was a bit rough but it is still true that pawnbrokers have a unfair stigma that their goods are stolen. Pawnbrokers deal with their local police departments daily in most states including yours. As many pawnbrokers will tell you it is easier for most patrol officers to say check the pawnshop for your stuff not knowing the regulations of a pawned item, as even you state you dont know them, here are the pawn regulations for the state of Ohio.<P>737.06 REGISTRATION OF TRANSACTIONS; INSPECTION.
    A person so licensed shall keep a correct list and description, in a book for that purpose, of each article pledged or deposited with him or on which advances of money have been made or which has been purchased by him. Each pledger shall be required to establish his identity and shall state his birth date. The pawnbroker shall also enter in such book the name and place of residence of each depositor, the date and hour when the deposit was made and a description of the means whereby the identity of the pledger was established. The registry shall also contain an entry setting forth the interest to be charged on the amount of money loaned. Entries shall be written in ink in the English language and no entry shall be erased, obliterated or defaced. Such book, at all times shall be open to the inspection of the Director of Public Safety or to any person authorized by him, to the Chief of Police or to any police officer. Upon demand of any of them such person so licensed shall produce and show any article thus listed and described which is in his possession. (Ord. 106-61-A. Passed 11-20-61. ) <P>
    737.07 DAILY REPORT BY LICENSEE.
    Every such licensed pawnbroker shall, on every weekday before the hour of 12:00 noon, make out a report on a blank to be furnished by the Division of Police for that purpose, a legible and correct copy of the record required to be kept, containing a clear description of all personal property, bonds, notes or other securities received on deposit or purchased during the preceding day, with the hour at which the article was received, a description of the person by whom it was left in pledge, or from whom purchased, and an ink impression of the right thumb of the pledger. Such report shall be delivered or mailed to the Chief of Police or his authorized representative. (Ord. 106-61-A. Passed 11-20-61. ) .
    <P> I am not trying to start a war just clear up some of the misconceptions pawn shops have.
  • Options
    Marty made up this whole pawnshop scenario -

the coin was not purchased @ a pawnshop
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    So is ripping someone who makes a living out of ripping others morally acceptable? image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So is ripping someone who makes a living out of ripping others morally acceptable? image >>

Yes. Poop runs downhill.
  • Options

<< <i>So is ripping someone who makes a living out of ripping others morally acceptable? image >>

you got me there !
  • Options
    Nice coins - typically I have found pawn shops to have nothing but overpriced junk.

Maybe I should start checking them out again.
  • Options
    Very nice frosted coins! image

The price? image
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Sweet rip Bud.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    The Real question still needs to be asked......

Mad One.....did the person/collector who purchased these off you ever get them submitted? If so, Howza bouta pic of the slab/or grade?
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    The walker was an easy CAM+, I thought. Wonder what it graded?
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I owned a pawnshop awhile back and can tell you coins like this did come in. I had clients that were professionals that needed a quick $5-20K, and would bring easy to carry items such as coins, gold and jewelry. I used to get high end baseball cards, boats, cars, etc. all the time as well.

Stolen goods are a fact of life in a pawn shop, and everything brought in did get reported to the police department as Desert Rodent said. The department would pick up records once a week, and I did have some items recovered through this procedure.

• Options
    image Find of the year!
    Absolutely awesome half.
    Congrats
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Mr. Hoover.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Marty made up this whole pawnshop scenario - the coin was not purchased @ a pawnshop >>

What makes you say that?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both coins are very nice, the Walker IMO won't cameo at PCGS because the sun isn't cameo. Such is the case for about 99% of Walkers with some cameo surfaces.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    It's possible. I found the coin in this thread for $15 in a pawn shop.

Not to the level of MM's find, but even still, a $150-200 coin (perhaps more with the tripled "F" variety), now in an NGC MS62 holder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file