Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What will happen to the Coin hobby/market if the Avian/Bird Flu strikes the US?????

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
This could be of concern in the year 2007 especially if we have a pandemic?

Will the internet save the coin collecting hobby?
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did buying and selling and the "coin market" disappear during the depression of the early 30,s???

When was B max Mehl doing his thing?

Anyway, this pandemic may occure and if it does the hobby may take and need a little breather.
  • Options
    "What will happen to the Coin market if the Avian/Bird Flu strikes the US?????"

The MINT will put out a special coin/medal???
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    If the bird flu hits in the form that it's currently in bird to human then i believe it will have little impact.

however, if it morphs into human to human transmission, coin collecting among other things would suffer imo
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will happen to the Coin hobby/market if the Avian/Bird Flu strikes the US?????
    Absolutely nothing.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    More internet bidders...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shows could be affected as people avoid large gatherings. Trading would be more internet oriented for the duration of the epidemic.

Let's hope it doesn't happen. I had a great uncle who died at age ten in the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a great uncle who died at age ten in the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic >>

And horrible as that was, and even with the lack of knowledge, cleanliness, and medical care back then, most people, by far survived.

I expect, if it ever does happen, the same this time.

So a good thing to be prepared for. Not frantic over.
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    is a duck a bird?

if so, coin collecting will be all right.
  • Options
    If the bird flu hits in the worst sense, coins and numismatics won't mean anything at all. The only thing that would matter is survival. The amount of sorrow and suffering in the world would be exceedingly huge. GOD forbid if that bird flu gets out of hand. matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Shows would drop off and many probably cancelled, especially small, regional ones. Sick people aren't goin to the post office and bank, so fewer transactions. eBay would really be pinched as would Teletrade. Less productivity means less money infusion from some tiers of the hobby. However, more people will probably take more time to read, learn and research, also look at their coins more. It would certainly cause a setback, though temporary.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    More coins would come into the market
    Trime
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    if it becomes a coin to human transmission...look outimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The negative effect on the entire economy would hurt the collector coin market IMO. People would have other, more important concerns.

A partial offset could be the market for gold. That could go up as a hedge against uncertainty, although its illogical to think that gold could save you life from bird flu.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>if it becomes a coin to human transmission...look outimage >>

Very good!

Imagine what the Economy Service turnaround time would end up being too.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing, IMHO this is nothing but hype by the news media.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>if it becomes a coin to human transmission...look outimage >>

Very good!

Imagine what the Economy Service turnaround time would end up being too. >>

You guys sound like the alarmists who said that the $2.50 and $5.00 incuse gold coins that Bella Pratt designed would spread desease and kill off the population. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"What will happen to the Coin market if the Avian/Bird Flu strikes the US?????"

The MINT will put out a special coin/medal??? >>

They might be too busy grinding the birds off the ME, AR, CA, and SC quarters. ...And what will they do about the old clads?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Nothing
    "location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • Options

<< <i>Nothing, IMHO this is nothing but hype by the news media. >>

Try telling that to the tens of millions that died in 1918, the last comparable time that there was an antigenic mutation of this magnitude.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People will have to stop using fresh bird poop to artificially tone coins.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing, because this is a hyped up story by the media.....

They have been talking about this for how long already.....

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    totally Hype...just like the Sars bullspit a couple of years back....
    "Try telling that to the tens of millions that died in 1918, the last comparable time that there was an antigenic mutation of this magnitude"

...in 1918 there wasnt the prevention, care, drugs or sanitation that exists today.
    The virus does not currently have the capacity to move efficiently into the human population and then move from person to person. Until the virus develops this ability — if it ever does — your chances of being infected are virtually zero.

all just smoke and mirrors....

HOLY CRAP...post number 500...how the time flys....note to self....plan giveaway for post 1000! booyeah
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    To me this seems like the "panic du jour". After all, people were freaking out about ebola virus, hantavirus, Marburg virus, etc. and nothing much came of it. On the other hand, AIDS came out of nowhere and was already a pandemic before people realized it. When it comes to bird or pig flu viruses, ANY one of them has the potential to become more virulent, and any one of them has the potential to mutate into a form easily transmissable to humans. Plagues and pandemics are not predictable.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the Rooster gold pieces from Europe will qualify for a special label so the WTC promoters can add another death series.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Coin shows as we know them will be curtailed in a severe manner.

Public participation will be non existant at mass shows.

Coin collecting will revert to :

Coin stores

Dealer websites

E-Bay

Electronic bids at auctions
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    A lot of people would be staying home. This would give the collector lots of extra time to buy off the internet auctions. Payment could be made by credit card, and the postman would deliver the coins. The flu could turn out to be good for the hobby.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    mcmximcmxi Posts: 890
    I'm gonna camp outside my dealers house and wait .
    If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Being that Bush has taken this once great country and reduced it to being the biggest bunch of wusses I've ever seen, I'm willing to bet that the economy will collapse with the first death of a chicken in the U.S.

Buy your duct tape now, beat the rush !!

Actually, I'm trying to figure out how I can profit from the ensuing irrational panic. Any ideas?

• Options
    <<And horrible as that was, and even with the lack of knowledge, cleanliness, and medical care back then, most people, by far survived>>

True, most people survived. However 20-40 million people died during the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, more than in WWI.

This flu is so scary because when it infects people they get very, very sick and many have died. Viruses mutate rapidly. There are already two major strains of the Avian Flu virus. The Spanish Flu and the other major killer flu viruses originated in animals and crossed over to humans.

If it happens people will stay home more. That is good for the hobby because people will have more time to organize their collection and purchase coins via internet. On the other hand it is bad for coin shows. Also if the world wide economy is affected it would hurt luxury spending but might help generic gold and silver if people want to hedge more.
  • Options
    The government will recall all coins that have a bird (eagle) on them because those coins will remind us how many people died a horrible death. Hide all your coins except Lincolns, Jeffersons, IKES, Franklins, Buffalos, etc.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    KFC will see their sales go way down. Thanksgiving will be different
    with many people refusing to eat turkey.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The government will recall all coins that have a bird (eagle) on them because those coins will remind us how many people died a horrible death. Hide all your coins except Lincolns, Jeffersons, IKES, Franklins, Buffalos, etc. >>

Other than the 1976 bicentenial issue, Ike dollars have a bird on the reverse.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Fight the problem before it spreads! Just say NO to sex with birds.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

All of the eagles will be removed from coins image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The virulent Spanish Flue would attack a healthy person

at 9AM and the person would be dead by sundown. If the mutation

occures in the current bird flu, then it may turn out to be just as deadly.

In its current form, people who have been heavily infected have a 40%

chance of survival. This flu will attack the healthiest of our populatio, because it

causes the immune system to cascade drowning the person in their own blood

and secretions. Since us old fogies have diminished immune systems, we will have

a better chance of survival.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I had a great uncle who died at age ten in the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic >>

And horrible as that was, and even with the lack of knowledge, cleanliness, and medical care back then, most people, by far survived.

I expect, if it ever does happen, the same this time.

So a good thing to be prepared for. Not frantic over. >>

Well last I heard, of the 20 human cases reported, 18 died. So much for "modern medicine will save us " theory.

Apparently, YOUR money will be used to save us:

APHL E-UPDATE
    07/13/2006
    ==========================================================
    HHS ANNOUNCES ADDITIONAL $225M FOR STATE AND LOCAL PANDEMIC
    INFLUENZA PREPAREDNESS EFFORTS
    HHS Secretary Michael Leavitt announced an additional $225
    million in funding for state and local preparedness as part
    of $350 million included in recent emergency appropriations
    for upgrading state and local pandemic influenza
    preparedness passed by Congress in December. In February,
    the first phase of $100 million was awarded to states for
    planning and exercising of pandemic response plans and to
    identify gaps in preparedness. This second phase of funding
    is being awarded to begin addressing those identified gaps
    in pandemic influenza preparedness planning. For the
    article, click here
    [http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060711/dctu033.html?.v=57] .
    For full article, go to
    http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/aphl/issues/2006-07-13.html
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    There will be a lot more Estate Sales on ebay.

CG
  • Options
    What make's you think that it hasn't already made it here? Do you believe everything the media is fed by the government? Beside's when your dead and gone, It isn't coin's i would be worrying about..............imageimage
  • Options
    Increase in market of Veggie Burgers, at an all time record.

TKC
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask the Mint to strike a new Commemorative.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    All the Ducks that collect coins will be SOL !
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    quack quack, gobble gobble

that's bird talk for: " Duck, turkey " !
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All the Ducks that collect coins will be SOL ! >>

It would also explain Canada's "Diving Goose" coin...it's not diving, it's falling out of the sky...
  • Options

<< <i><< The government will recall all coins that have a bird (eagle) on them because those coins will remind us how many people died a horrible death. Hide all your coins except Lincolns, Jeffersons, IKES, Franklins, Buffalos, etc. >> >>

<< <i>Other than the 1976 bicentenial issue, Ike dollars have a bird on the reverse. >>

So do Franklins..a small one to the right of the bell.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Maybe collectors will, like Giovanni Boccaccio's company, go to some secret retreat far from crowds, surround themselves with beautiful women and fine wines, there to tell their tales of artificial vs natural toning....
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    More estate sales! Could be yours or mine....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All your flying eagles will look like this...

Doug
  • Options
    "Being that Bush has taken this once great country and reduced it to being the biggest bunch of wusses I've ever seen, I'm willing to bet that the economy will collapse with the first death of a chicken in the U.S."

Sheesh.....could you be more wrong...image

The actual number of cases to July is around 229 cases with 113 deaths..mostly infants and elderly in third world countries.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Well it would take the Flu to make me stay home an by cr#ppy coins on Sleasebay!!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    It's amazin' the number of folks that think this could be spread by eating cooked bird flesh.

All influenza virus', no matter how virulent the strain, are extremely fragile and heat labile.

The virus would not survive in dead bird flesh you buy at your supermarket. And even if it did, no one, except maybe Russ eats raw birds.

If and when it comes, it will be transmitted like any other influenza virus: primarily by hand to hand to mucous membrane contact, and secondarily by airborne inhalation in crowded situations.

So 1)wash yer hands like you have obsessive compulsive disorder, and 2) stay off crowded public transportation.

and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file