Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1931-S Buffalo - My thoughts

BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
Depression era coinage has a distinct allure to me. Not only were mintages lower, but it stands to reason that this particular issue probably did not even need to be coined in the first place!

I think, probably it is true to state, that the Great Depression, with its' affect on coinage, and the severe downturn in the economy, caught the US Mint in a "catch 22 situation".

The economy slowed to a crawl, and the "Roarin Twenties" boom had produced more than an adequate amount of coinage for circulation up to that point.

Seems to me that the Mint, in fear of letting too many seasoned employees go off on furlough, and the risk of never seeing them again, presented the Mint with the problem of holding on to as many people as they could.

Thus.........the "make do" coinage.

The Mint could not keep people around doing nothing. The truth was that it could be substantiated that a certain mintage of coins was needed. At the time, the real bottom of the depression was not yet being felt on the West Coast. But it was coming...........

So it was decided that a 1931-S Nickel was needed.

Dies for the nickel were prepared and shipped ONLY to the San Francisco Mint in 1931. No other Mint produced them that depressing year.

Here's where the fun begins..............

Coin collecting was starting to become "the rage" around that time. There were no orders for new Nickels coming in from banks in the area.

The San Francisco Mint coined 194.000 Buffs in January, 1931..........and quit!

As the year dragged on, the main Mint in Philadelphia took notice of the extremely low mintage.

They advised San Francisco on November 19, 1931 to produce as many Buffs as could be done without overtime until the end of the year because the mintage would result in 1931-S nickels to be a non-circulating coin sought as a "premium" by collectors of the day.

The compliance to the order resulted in 1.200.000 Buffs total mintage.........sparing us all from having to "ante up" for an extremely rare coin!

You gotta love it.........and still, ya gotta love the 1931-S Buff even today.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• Options
    Good story. Thanks.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting!
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Coin collecting was starting to become "the rage" around that time. There were no orders for new Nickels coming in from banks in the area >>

Yes , i think mostly cause the invention of the coin album.

<< <i>Depression era coinage has a distinct allure to me. Not only were mintages lower, but it stands to reason that this particular issue probably did not even need to be coined in the first place! >>

Yes , i would agree with this cause the 31-S was not released until 1934-35 and subsequentially hoarded by many.
  • Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    Fabulous story Pete. Combined with a delayed release of some years, many were save in high grades, thus there's no shortage of relatively nice '31-S nicks!

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Pete,

Knew there had to be a reason the 31-S is one of my
    all time favorites, the coin definately has karma..

-Ron
    Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have this MS-65.image
    thanks for the info!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    That is great information, Pete!

By the way, I just received a notification from Amazon.com that "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels, 2nd Edition" is no longer available and they cancelled my order.

Are you aware of any sources for the book?

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Interesting story!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    Pete
    Thanks for the very interesting story and can't wait until the next one. image
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options
    That's terrible..........Lick those stamps:

Maybe a re-print is in the works. There have to be other ways to get it.

I think I saw it listed for sale in an ad from Brooklyn coin and stamp.

If not, the way I got mine was to order it through my local coin dealer.

Keep looking.........you'll love the book......

Pete
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    Type in The Complete book of buffalo nickles at Yahoo and you'll have several sites to choose from. Good luck.
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options

lick

i just did a search on yahoo and there are a few websites that carry it

$36.95 hardbound.

i never dealt with any of them but try www.mjcoins.com
    www.primasoft.com
    www.coins4me.com

hope this helps
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I guess the explains why the '31-S is so affordable in mint state compared to most other branch mint Buffs, even those with much higher mintages.

• Options
    Thanks Pete, caitlin and JTMC.

Although a long shot, I typed the name of the book on eBay and came up with several hits. Can you imagine that?image

I don't know why I didn't think of that before Amazon.com!
  • Options
    Yea, Ziggy..........it's true.

As was mentioned in a previous post to this thread, 1931-S wasn't even released till sometime during 1934.

Collectors of the time knew the published mintage and had plenty of time to wait and pounce on them when eventually released.

It's the same tale for the 31-S Cent.

That's why most are UNCs.

Pete
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is great information, Pete!

By the way, I just received a notification from Amazon.com that "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels, 2nd Edition" is no longer available and they cancelled my order.

Are you aware of any sources for the book? >>

I got one on eBay for $4.
  • Options
    ttt...a fun read
  • Options
    I like the way this is written. Kinda like a story tell flare.

Jerry
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Same situation with the 1931s Penny. Mintage was 866,000. The only cent lower was the 1909 s vdb! I have both the 31s nickel and the penny. here is my penny:

AJ
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Great story, reminds me of "Grapes of Wrath".

In 1932 times were so tight that they didn't make any buffalos or dimes at all for 32 or 33. No quarters in 33, no half in 32.

The economy was so tight the mints took a break. image
    Ed
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Here's a "bubble up thread". This is very interesting, and threads like this are timeless to a collector of coins from that era.

I too love the depression era (and WWII era) coins. All of the 1931 to 1938 era coins have at least one tougher / expensive coin to the set: 1931 has the 1931S cent, 1931S nickel, and the 1931D dime. 1932 has the D and S quarter while 1933 has the 1933S half. The 1934S half is not too easy / cheap to get in high grads. The 1935 to 38 Washington quarters have at least one tougher coin per set per year. Some of the mint marked Walkers from 1935 to 38 (especially 38) are tough to rare in Unc, and rather pricey. The 1934 and 35 Peace Dollars can get expensive above MS63.

Really the only depression year that is easy to complete in BU is the 1930, but even the 1930S nickel and the 1930S SLQ are a bit pricier for quality examples.

Depression era gold is another story all together. The 1930S $10 gold is tough, while the 1933 is a coin that few of us can ever hope to own. In the St Gaudens $20's: all of the 1929 to 1933 coins are five or more figure coins.

Let's not forget that there are some better coins from 1929, particularly the halves.

All of this, compounded by the designs of the day (Buffaloes, Mercurys, Standing Libertys, Walkers, Peace Dollars, Indian Head / St. Gaudens Gold).

Long story short: If you are attempting to complete all of the depression era coins in high grade, you better have deep pockets, and if you are looking to add all of the gold coins, you better be very very wealthy.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps shortly, the '33 Saint will be available and sell at less than the last one. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if a mintage close to 100,000 was all that was made we would be looking up at a price of $1000.00 for a good. Kind of like the 1916 standing liberty quarter.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Here is one from an old time collection.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    This is my favorite date in the series. I;m going to have to take some pics of my herd.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read. Thanks for the share. Here's a couple from my collection....

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great read. Thanks for the share. Here's a couple from my collection....

imageimage >>

Dang! That's gorgeous! It's rare to find this date with colorful toning.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Coin collecting was starting to become "the rage" around that time. There were no orders for new Nickels coming in from banks in the area >>

Yes , i think mostly cause the invention of the coin album. >>

>>

Actually, it was the coin board which was invented in 1934 that started the coin collecting rage. At $0.25 each, many people who previously had no interest in coin collecting became hooked at the idea of filling all the holes with pocket change. By about 1940 the coin board was replaced with the familiar tri-fold album which all of us are so familiar with today.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A FULLY STRUCK 1931-S NICKEL REPORTED, THIS COIN IF IT EXISTED WOULD BE WORTH MOON MONEY TO THE RIGHT COLLECTOR.
    THIS IS ONE COIN THAT NEVER HAS CENTRAL DETAILS ON THE OBVERSE. APPARENTLY THE DIES WERE SET TO FAR APART AND ALL STRIKES ARE SOMEWHAT CRUMMY.
    BUT WHAT A GREAT COIN STILL.
    (THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN UGLY BUFFALO NICKEL)
    BUFFNIXX
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Here is one of mine...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file