Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Strike Racket

Am I the only one that thinks the marketing of first-strike coins as a bit of a racket? Can anybody really tell the difference? Sheesh.

Comments

• Options
    The first strike designation is ridiculus and any TPG that uses it should be ashamed, IMO.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    First strike would be meaningful,if you were standing

by when the new dies were placed and caught the first coin in a

gloved hand, then had Mint officials document the first strike fact.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>The first strike designation is ridiculus and any TPG that uses it should be ashamed, IMO. >>

I agree--IMO first strike should be just that--the first strike from a die pair---not the first 1000 or first box of 5000, etc. A total rip off IMO. Shame on NGC, ANACS, PCGS or any other TPGS that uses this designation.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI - In the case of Platinum coins from 2005 (the first year of FS) - I believe the non-FS coins are worth slightly more money (perhaps even quite a bit more money in a case or two) than the FS coins. So, there isn't much of a "racket" when it comes to First Strike Plats. In fact, some might suggest the "bit of a racket" is on the non-FS coins.

Wondercoin image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I agree, the TPG's should be ashamed. However, since they ALL do it, there really isn't egg on anybody's face. IMO it would have been a great marketing move for at least one of the TPG's to refuse to do this, and then point out how rediculous it is.

The flag holders and other gimmics are pretty lame, too. They're unprofessional and unflattering to the services.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    they are going to do what makes them money.

if there were not people lined up to buy into this, they would not do it.

I have said all along, I want a "Last Strike" just to be different.image
  • Options
    Its just bussiness and an honest buck

at that. If folks want to buy it, so be it.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Striking, isn't it, how people hoot and hollar about the crap that gets pulled by the home shopping channels, but noone cares about the TPG's producing the stuff that feeds it?
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Striking, isn't it, how people hoot and hollar about the crap that gets pulled by the home shopping channels, but noone cares about the TPG's producing the stuff that feeds it? >>

It might surprise you, but those that don't buy these crap are the ones that cares. And some even educate newbies about it, too. It's all about education, supply, and demand.
  • Options

<< <i>any TPG that uses it should be ashamed, >>

I'm sure they ARE ashamed, all the way to the bank.
  • Options
    Racket or no, there is a company GIVING AWAY first strike silver eagles in a full page ad in the NRA magazine this month. I ordered one, it cost me $10 for shipping which is less than its melt value. Figure I can't go wrong.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI - In the case of Platinum coins from 2005 (the first year of FS) - I believe the non-FS coins are worth slightly more money (perhaps even quite a bit more money in a case or two) than the FS coins. So, there isn't much of a "racket" when it comes to First Strike Plats. In fact, some might suggest the "bit of a racket" is on the non-FS coins.

Wondercoin image >>

Why? Why do non-FS plats get more $?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>

I'm sure they ARE ashamed, all the way to the bank. >>

"Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    The first strike from which hub from which obverse of what reverse..................image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>The flag holders and other gimmics are pretty lame, too. They're unprofessional and unflattering to the services. >>

Except they have educational value for those who never paid attention to the flags of the states.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The flag holders and other gimmics are pretty lame, too. They're unprofessional and unflattering to the services. >>

Except they have educational value for those who never paid attention to the flags of the states. >>

Agreed, the flag holders do have a "coolness" factor for some. Nothing wrong with that, imho.
    For my son's birthyear set, I tried to get all flag holders as I thought it would be cool learning for him.

The 1st strike designation IS total BS.
    Full disclosure: I do have some since they have been the same price, or less, and offered early on when I wanted our SAE slabs.

Would I pay extra for them? HELL NO!
    This year's 1st strike MS69s from PCGS have looked terrible, imho....more like MS67!!!!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing an article about the "first strike" 1878 Morgan given to President Hayes. I would pay a premium for a coin like that with proper documentation.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember seeing an article about the "first strike" 1878 Morgan given to President Hayes. I would pay a premium for a coin like that with proper documentation. >>

As would most people. PCGS would never slab the Hayes coin, though, since it's been harshly cleaned.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The first strike designation is ridiculus and any TPG that uses it should be ashamed, IMO. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree--IMO first strike should be just that--the first strike from a die pair---not the first 1000 or first box of 5000, etc. A total rip off IMO. Shame on NGC, ANACS, PCGS or any other TPGS that uses this designation. >>

It's not even that. It's the first truckloads out of the mint for the year. It has nothing to do with being first off the dies, as far as I know.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Am I the only one that thinks the marketing of first-strike coins as a bit of a racket? Can anybody really tell the difference? Sheesh. >>

Dude, what up with the icon, eh?
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

Bidness........DickyBetz is quite correct!

TC71

• Options
    flaminio

Sorry bout that. The Uncle Sam I was using was also taken. I guess I'll have to keep looking. BTW, how did this old thread get brought back?
  • Options
    "Why? Why do non-FS plats get more $?"

PCGS slabbed roughly 700-800 First Strike MS69 2005 $100 Plats, while PCGS slabbed less than (50) non-FS MS69 $100 Plats thus far -which is why the First Year issue non-FS MS Plats tend to command a bit more money than FS. Now, also bear in mind one additional detail - the 2005 $100 MS Plat is the LOWEST mintage MS coin in the history of the MS Platinum, Gold or Silver Eagle program standing at fewer than 6,300 worldwide mintage. Compare this, for example, to the mintage on a 1998 $100 MS Plat at more than 133,000 or a 1999 $50 Gold Eagle MS at more than 1,500,000.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>the 2005 $100 MS Plat is the LOWEST mintage MS coin in the history of the MS Platinum >>

Sounds like fewer people ordered them last year than in the past. Rising bullion price=fewer people willilng to pay the price. That seems to me to denote that a lot of the platinums were being sold to people were speculating on the price of the metal and were not interested in collecting them as a series.

CG
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

I was selling some Franklin Comm. and I got a question from a potential bidder:

Do your coins show any sort of cameo appearance that would possibly discern them from any later strikes? And do you know if there is any other way for someone to tell, say 5 years from now, that these were minted first; before the ones others are waiting to receive from the mint? Thank you for your help.

My Answer:

Honestly, I haven't looked at them. They go from the box I got them in, to the box I'll mail them in. There's no way to tell these were minted first. FYI, Mint die's are changed a lot, lets say after every 10,000 coins, because of wear. So theoretically, a coin minted today with a brand new die, could be better than a coin minted a month ago, but was the last coin of a worn die. It's just the luck of the draw. Most coins collectors think -first strike- is just a marketing gimic.

He bought the coins.

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Frankly, it is unethical and that is troubling to me. They have taken a numismatic term and redefined it without clarification at the point of purchase.

From Coinfacts.com - first strike: the first coin, or one of the earliest coins, struck from a pair of dies. These are usually Prooflike, well struck and nearly perfect.

The TPGs are defining the term by the calendar, not die use. I see no difference between what PCGS is doing and what Hager and ACG did with using ANA grading terminology but self defining the terms.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aye !

racket implies a bit of fraudulent activity image

We are civilized men of law. Can't we at least use the correct term ? It is not a racket, it is MARKET MANIPULATION or what some refer to as "making a market".

When the orb biz loses a little buzz, a new MANIPULATION happens (wisconsin leafs, FIRST STRIKES, Waffle Registry sets image )

How about that Red Book listing a 2001 P Kennedy at $10.00 while the US MINT still sells them ? Is this a racket or what ?

• Options
    "Sounds like fewer people ordered them last year than in the past. Rising bullion price=fewer people willilng to pay the price. That seems to me to denote that a lot of the platinums were being sold to people were speculating on the price of the metal and were not interested in collecting them as a series."

Actually, my research suggests another possibility. The high mintage MS $100 Plats of 1997-1999 may have been linked to the govt. retirement programs requiring physical coins to back up the actual retirement contributions. But, this is getting a bit OT, so I can save the details for another thread. Bottom line is (IMHO) there continues to be virtually no First Strike premium whatsoever pertaining to Platinum coins. For example, PCGS-MS69 non-FS (4 pc) sets of 2005 Platinum (first year of FS program for plats) are trading today at $25/set above the FS level.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    How about a "Last Strike". The very last coin minted

from a series. Now, that would be something.However,

I would need some mint authority, like the janitor to certify

the coins authenticity.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>How about a "Last Strike". The very last coin minted

from a series. Now, that would be something.However,

I would need some mint authority, like the janitor to certify

the coins authenticity. >>

Probably his observations as a ..fly on the wall ..would shed some light on some of the mints so called errors...............!!!!!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>It's not even that. It's the first truckloads out of the mint for the year. It has nothing to do with being first off the dies, as far as I know. >>

Even worse, for the silver eagles try the first FIVE MONTHS worth of production. They stated striking the 2006 coins in Sept of 2005 and all of them from then through Jan 31 2006 are eligible for the First Strike designation.

And I don't believe all of the TPG have fallen for the "First Strike" foolishness. ANACS, PCGS, and NGC have, but I don't believe I have seen "Frst Strike" coins from IGC, SEGS, or PCI. If they have made them, hey've been few. No, this scam has mainly been set upon the hobby by the "industry leaders".
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>

I'm sure they ARE ashamed, all the way to the bank. >>

Too funny.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file