Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1985 Topps baseball thread

I have been pulling together as many 85 topps over the past month as I can. I am bound and determined to finish this set. I think with the Clemens, Mcgwire and Puckett rookie cards this set is one of the best of the 80's. If anyone wants to start up this set with me I will try to help as much as I can. I am hoping someday we can have a registry and thread as good as the one the 84 Donruss guys have started. Thanks _Tb

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 1985 Topps. I have a ton of crummy dog eared raw in my attic from the ENDING of my true youth. They are great to look at every time I pull the CHristmas tree down image I also have a unopened wax box and a cello box. I bought them from Steve Hart a year ago and have no intentions of ripping .... yet image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I really think the 85 set is underated, It has one of the greatest pitchers and home run hitters of our time's rookie cards in it. I think the sheer size of the set may keep some people from trying to complete it. However, in my opinion, it may be the most investment worthy set of the last several years. Although it lacks the photographic quality of the 84 Donruss and unopened material may still be fairly easy to obtain, I feel at this time that this set has great potential. Clemens rookie card may do for this set what Ryans rookie did for the 68 set, throw in Mcgwire who is also a Hall of Fame lock and a very popular player with Puckett and you have some heavy hitters as far as rookie cards go ! Mattingly's second year card, Boggs, Gwynn and Sandbergs third year cards along with some HOFer's in thier prime like Rickey Henderson, Mike Schmidt, Cal Ripken, Harold Baines, and some Hofer's winding down thier careers like Ryan, Seaver, Sutton, Brett, Yout, Murray,Reggie Jackson,Carew,boone etc etc.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I do disagree that Roger Clemens or Mark McGwire could do ANYTHING close to what Nolan Ryan did for 1968 Topps because of the immense supply and demand factor, I do agree, it is a great set! The olympic subset is ALOT of fun!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I agree that there is still a fair amount of unopened material out there for this set, But there is also some very low pops in this set with a whole lot of cards that havent even been graded yet. I think in the next few years as collectors see the potential for this set that the unopened supply will fall drastically.

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I was 14 when this set came out. Made lots of money mowing lawns and really wasn't that interested in girls or cars yet. I built five sets and still have the cherry in my collection. I kicked myself for years that I didn't by much Donruss or Fleer, but McGwire made it all worth while in '98.

I'll have to go through my set again and see how many aren't that nice.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think in the next few years as collectors see the potential for this set that the unopened supply will fall drastically. >>

This is a very true statement. When the registry started taking off, I was buying a lot of late 70's and 1980 Topps vending boxes and cases. They were everywhere. Nowadays they are a lot tougher to find. Once people really start diving into a set, the unopened material dries up quickly.
  • Options
    As of right now there are only two registry participants with over 10% of the set. (I will be over 10% by the end of the week) I wish I knew if Porkchopper(#1 in the set) was an active participant on these boards I would really like to talk to him about this set. The last few years has seen the early 80's sets blossom on the registry, I think 1985 could be the next year to really take off !

• Options

<< <i>I wish I knew if Porkchopper(#1 in the set) was an active participant on these boards I would really like to talk to him about this set. >>

Your wish is granted! image However, I'm more of a lurker than an active participant.

I've been a fan of the 1985 Topps baseball set ever since it's release. What has made me more of a fan of the 1985 Topps set is that it contains the first Topps card of my favorite player, Kirby Puckett.

There aren't too many collectors of the 1985 Topps baseball set on the Registry right now, but in the future this set probably will be (and should be) looked upon by collectors as one of the most underrated gems of the 1980's.

Thank you for starting up a thread here for us 1985 Topps baseball collectors, now all we need is some scans of these cards to drool over!!!

Here is my most prized 1985 Topps Puckett, a PSA 4. It shows that someone really enjoyed their cards, with the corners messed up and whatnot. But more importantly, it reminds me of my very first Puckett card, which I was unable to locate in my childhood card collection at my parent's house. I wish I would have found it because if I had, it would most likely have garnered the prestigious PSA 1.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    I am highly interested in starting a 1985 topps set with you tennesseebanker. I was debating betwenn 1983 and 1985 topps. I am trying to find a decent lot of PSA 9 and then breaking open a wax box plus a few racks to get started. I love the 1985 topps set, even though it is quite large!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I still have my first hand collated 85 topps set that I made when I was 12. It is in sheets ( probably not even safe ones ) and an album. If my memory serves me right it is actually in pretty good shape, that was the first year I really began to take good care of the cards I bought.

When that set is right it is beautiful. I have noticed a big difference in color and print quality from card to card. There are many where the color is amazing, almost like a tiffany finish. When you can get them like that the color jumps at you and makes it a gorgeous set.

Anyone remember when Odibe McDowell's card was worth more than McGwire's ?

Or how bout this one......it is actually the Pettis' younger brother who posed for the card....

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Well, if it isnt the famous porkchopper ! Good to finally get to speak with you about the 85 set. I just got into this set a few weeks ago (Koffmans 85 Topps Kollection). Pc, Do you know of any cards that are harder to get in high grade in this set ? What cards have you had trouble with ? Are there any cards you need ?
    I am really hoping that you will make your set visible soon, I would love to see it, But I understand why if you dont.
    I just had three Puckett Rookies grade Gem Mint, Sold two on E-bay
    Good luck and stay in touch

• Options
    Sea Bass, Let me know if you need any 9's, I am currently selling a few of my dupes on E-bay. As I upgrade I will certainly be needing to get rid of a few.
    Coolstufffast has a few on the bay and you can submit a best offer with him to get them a little cheaper.

Come on and join the fun ! image

• Options
    Bri, you are absolutely right. I have a few that look like Tiffany cards they are so glossy. One big difference I did notice was from a recent bust of a rack case and a vending box. The vending box had very dark green backs while the rack had the usual light green backs. I think they may have put a little too much green ink on the backs in the vending.
    I did not know that about the Pettis card, interesting..........

• Options

<< <i>Sea Bass, Let me know if you need any 9's, I am currently selling a few of my dupes on E-bay. As I upgrade I will certainly be needing to get rid of a few.
    Coolstufffast has a few on the bay and you can submit a best offer with him to get them a little cheaper.

Come on and join the fun ! image >>

Tennesseebanker, my email is bhipol@yahoo.com. I am new to grading and submitting to PSA. I have collected autographs for years but I am gonna give that a break. Will definately need ALOT of assistance with this.
  • Options
    SB, I just put most of my nines on E-bay,(Mattingly,rice,rose along with a clemens and mcgwire 8's and a puckett 10) But I will have some more soon. I will contact you as soon as I get some more. Ill be glad to help , keep in touch, the more the merrier.........

• Options
    Woo Hoo ! I moved up to # 3 tonite !image

• Options
    It is relatively easy to find most of the cards in the 1985 Topps set in 9 or 10 condition, but there are a few that I have had/am having trouble with. Three right off the top of my head are #670 Tom Seaver, #73 Rusty Kuntz, and #360 Steve Carlton.

As for the first two listed, it's the centering. Both of these cards sell on the bay in 9 from time to time and both at elevated costs. Seaver because he is a well known player as well as a HOF'er and Kuntz probably because of the "ha ha tee hee" of his name (my guess)?! I personally have yet to come across any raw examples that would receive a 9.

As for the Carlton, none of my raw examples would have nined due to the focus or coloring of the card. I own a 9 (click on the link) that I won a while ago, however, it's image is sorta "fuzzy". I just recently won a Carlton 10 on Ebay and can't wait to see it in person.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I can not imagine ever getting a Rusty Kuntz in good shape.image

Stingray
  • Options
    Porkchopper, I totally agree with you on those cards after going through thousands of 85 topps I have yet to find a seaver or carlton that was centered. Although I think you outbid me on a carlton psa 10 this week. I finally found a centerd Rusty Kuntz card in a factory set. I also think it is pretty tough to find the all-star and record breaker cards centered. Another I have noticed is Tim Belcher, I must have 12 off- centered of him!

• Options
    I've found the Belcher to be tough as well. Another one is #405 Tom Veryzer. I'm sure there has to be centered copies out there, just none have fallen into my hands as of yet.
  • Options
    I'll keep an eye out for Tom. Hey, PC was that you that one the Carlton 10 the other night ?? Do you ever talk to any of the other guys in the 85 topps registry ??

• Options
    Yeah, I won the Carlton 10 the other night. I'll put up a scan once I receive it.

I've sold some of my dupes to the #2 and #4 guy in the registry, however, we've never said anything other than what's written in our feedback towards one another. I've got a few dupes I need to scan so I can put them up on the bay one of these days.
  • Options
    I see our boy 4sharp has a few 10's for sale this week, If you get a chance check out that terrible looking hershiser rookie he's got. I really need to stop buying any 85's from e-bay, and save my money for submissions, Ive probably got everything on ebay I bid on in raw form, but its just too easy.

• Options
    Chop, I found a veryzer that has decent centering, Dont know if it has a shot at a 9 though,

• Options
    Chop, Have you seen what the Psa 10 Schmidt is going for on E-bay ??

• Options
    Lots of 1985 Topps PSA 10's coming out of the woodwork lately. The person that is buying most of them up (liquori4j22) probably has a quarter of the set in 10 by now I'm guessing. Some nice cards, that's for sure!
  • Options
    Yes ! I have noticed Mr. Liqouri buying a lot of 85 10's, As a matter of fact I sold him a 85 Boggs about a month ago. Do you have any idea if he is buying these cards for registry purposes or just for fun. I beleive the Boggs i sent to him was addressed to a San Diego Address. Is he on the boards, a dealer, or just somebody with a lot of extra cash and a passion for 85 Topps?

• Options
    Mr. Laqouri was at it again this past week! One He!! of a set he's got going.
  • Options
    I know , I have been outbid by him and sold him some of my extra 10's. If he ever decides to register his wins we may be in trouble.

• Options
    Hi Guys, I currently have 3-4 raw sets and 10,000 or so mostly commons if anyone is interested for subs. my favorite player is Big Mac so i bought a few of the sets at $50 on e bay thinking they were way too cheap. good luck on the sets. Phil
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Hi '85 Topps experts---- with all due respect I say thanks for this thread----- also----- I need the following Texas Rangers in PSA 9 or 10: #29 Odell Jones; #76 Alan Bannister; #102 Tommy Dunbar; #131 Bell; #149 Noles; #288 JKunkel; #313 DSchmidt; #371 MRivers; #648 BJones; #723 Dave Stewart; and # 107T Don Slaught........... Thanks in advance for checking ....... I have team sets in the name of Rangerman... Tony
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    Anything new in the world of 85 Topps ?? I see Mr. Liqouri is still buying 10's up.

• Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a psa 9 85 topps Reggie Jackson if anyone needs it. Just make a reasonable offer and it is yours. Just PM me. Or trade me a psa 9 Dodger from 74-81 topps!

Brian
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Here's one of my nicest '85's.image
  • Options
    I have listed Ten; psa 10, 1 of 1 cards this week on E-bay. Porkchopper, You better grab them before Mr. Liqouri does. LOL

85 topps 1 of 1's psa 10's

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eye on them. Hopefully, for my sake, I won't run into you-know-who.....
  • Options
    if any of u 1985 collectors have extra 85 mets in (9) or (10) ur looking to sell i would be intrestred - let me know daywalker2029@yahoo.com - thanks
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    2008 ring kings cut signatures
    any Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Keith Hernandez cards in (10)
  • Options
    Hey, is this thread still alive? I know it's been a while...I've been out of it for a few years and thought I'd jump back in again.
  • Options
    BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭
    any 85 ppl out there, I'm looking to fill some holes in my Indians team set. If you have any pm or email basherboy29@yahoo.com

1985 Topps Indians
    #14 Chris Bando
    #41 Mike Fischlin
    #93 Don Schulze
    #119 Pat Corrales MG
    #184 Carmen Castillo
    #212 George Vukovich
    #263 Mel Hall
    #303 Mike Jeffcoat
    #327 Brook Jacoby
    #355 Bert Blyleven
    #381 Roy Smith