Home Sports Talk
Options

Bryant Gumbles slip of the tounge

2»

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The sole brotha man won the 1,000-meter speed skating today. Maybe Gumbel's on to something. >>

yeah, but he's not the best in the world, because this is the winter olympics..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    You're right. When they get ice in Kenya, this s#it is over.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>You're right. When they get ice in Kenya, this s#it is over. >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You're right. When they get ice in Kenya, this s#it is over. >>

Especially if the IOC implements a 100,000 meter race image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    axtel points out the hypocracy of the left when he claims that these corporations make billions of dollars so they MUST be right wing.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The sole brotha man won the 1,000-meter speed skating today. Maybe Gumbel's on to something. >>

Why casue he is faster, can jump higher, and can dance better than most of us here? Well proabbly most of us...
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    But he's probably deathly afraid of your sigline pic.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But he's probably deathly afraid of your sigline pic. >>

Yeah if she was in heat, he better hope his zipper is rusted shut! image
  • Options
    How come it's racism if a white talks about a black but it's OK if a black talks about a white? If I opened the United Caucasion College Fund I would be considered racist for wanting to help my so called own race to succeed. I'm far from a racist. People should all have equal chances no matter what color. I couldn't get a business loan for $250,000 and I was putting up $70,000 of my own money. I was told (and was told by a black guy) that if I was a minority or a women it would be a no brainer but (and get this) but you are a middle class white guy and we just don't have the programs for you. What a #@^&amp;%^ joke. This world is a joke. If you want to clean this world up get rid of all churches and religion. It does nothing but breed division among people. Agree or not it's the truth and just part of the problem. Just venting. Sorry for getting off topic or cards.
  • Options

<< <i>How come it's racism if a white talks about a black but it's OK if a black talks about a white? If I opened the United Caucasion College Fund I would be considered racist for wanting to help my so called own race to succeed. I'm far from a racist. People should all have equal chances no matter what color. I couldn't get a business loan for $250,000 and I was putting up $70,000 of my own money. I was told (and was told by a black guy) that if I was a minority or a women it would be a no brainer but (and get this) but you are a middle class white guy and we just don't have the programs for you. What a #@^&amp;%^ joke. This world is a joke. If you want to clean this world up get rid of all churches and religion. It does nothing but breed division among people. Agree or not it's the truth and just part of the problem. Just venting. Sorry for getting off topic or cards. >>

You should come over to the Open Forum image
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How come it's racism if a white talks about a black but it's OK if a black talks about a white? If I opened the United Caucasion College Fund I would be considered racist for wanting to help my so called own race to succeed. I'm far from a racist. People should all have equal chances no matter what color. I couldn't get a business loan for $250,000 and I was putting up $70,000 of my own money. I was told (and was told by a black guy) that if I was a minority or a women it would be a no brainer but (and get this) but you are a middle class white guy and we just don't have the programs for you. What a #@^&amp;%^ joke. This world is a joke. If you want to clean this world up get rid of all churches and religion. It does nothing but breed division among people. Agree or not it's the truth and just part of the problem. Just venting. Sorry for getting off topic or cards. >>

The way I see it is that the majority never gets to whine like the minority. In many different ways besides race. The day the majority turns into the minority is the day the crying is heard.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    "Crash" is a pretty good movie...should be interesting if it wins the oscar.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>"Crash" is a pretty good movie...should be interesting if it wins the oscar. >>

very good movie..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    A lot of you people very effectively display your inability to think outside the conservative(?)-right to centrist right spectrum which the media effectively establishes. The fact that a few of the individuals in front of the camera are (at most moderately) left-of-center means NOT ONE F**KING THING. It's amazing people nitpick over what's allowed to pass through into the public's hands when what's NOT displayed is the real story. Has anybody actually taken a serious, clear-headed look at anything beyond what's been hand-fed to you and comfortably fits into your belief set? If not, get your mind some much-needed exercise image Has anybody else taken a media studies class around here? If so, and if you're participating in the inane chatter about "liberal bias" then you need to be asking for a refund. And before any of you dismiss me as a left-wing nutjob or something, realize that I'm an independent voter, I frequently disagree with Democrats (btw, if you EVER refer to ANY Democrat as "far left" or "radical" YOU MOST LIKELY NEED HELP), and that I have the educational background to back my s**t up. Does that mean I'm gonna spend hours proving myself? Not unless you pay me; go and get your own damn education!
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anybody else taken a media studies class around here? If so, and if you're participating in the inane chatter about "liberal bias" then you need to be asking for a refund. >>

The irony of that statement is priceless. In two consecutive sentences you've touched on the two most liberal institutions in our country: the media and our universities. I can only imagine - and God willing I will never have to actually experience - how liberal a university course about the media must be. You probably deserve some kind of political Purple Heart for surviving that.

I would be interested to know which stories, or parts of stories, you believe are not being told because of the right-of-center disposition of the media.

I'd also be interested to know which national Republican candidates you have voted for, and are glad you voted for, to get a better fix on your position on the political spectrum, although I certainly understand if you don't want to share that. "Inependent" can mean almost anything - the only meaningful way to know another's political leanings is to know who they voted for.

And when you say "(btw, if you EVER refer to ANY Democrat as "far left" or "radical" YOU MOST LIKELY NEED HELP)", are you saying that the "far left" does not exist, or that one has to be more liberal than Maxine Waters to be considered "far left". If the latter, then you are saying that a small fraction of 1% of the country is "far left"; do you define "far right" the same way? I mean I've even heard GWB described as "far right", which would make something close to half the country "far right".
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

<< <i>The irony of that statement is priceless. In two consecutive sentences you've touched on the two most liberal institutions in our country: >>

I ntoiced the same thing Dallas.

<< <i>(btw, if you EVER refer to ANY Democrat as "far left" or "radical" YOU MOST LIKELY NEED HELP), >>

Yeah Michael Moore is just a misunderstood Conservative.

Bjork, a quality education is a very desirable thing. Real life experiences and common sense can be just as valuable.

• Options
    I believe it's no coincidence that Gumbel is now on cable (and not network)TV. As intelligent and well spoken as he is, his arrogance rubs too many people the wrong way. In fact, don't know (not that I watch Am idol) who I'd say is more conceited between Gumbel and that Simon guy..image
    "Going to bed with a woman never hurt a ballplayer.It's staying up all night looking for them that does you in." - Casey Stengel
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    It's a real conundrum. Gumbel whining and being a media member makes him a liberal. Gumbel's arrogance and being totally unaccountable for his actions makes him a neo-con.

The truth is far more simple. He is an idiot. Both sides got lots of them.
  • Options

<< <i>Gumbel's arrogance and being totally unaccountable for his actions makes him a neo-con. >>

Let me see if I understand: Arrogance + Totally Unaccountable = Neo-Con?

If my math is right, then that makes both Clintons, Ted Kennedy, O.J. Simpson, Dan Rather, Janet Reno and Jesse Jackson neo-cons. If I may paraphrase The Princess Bride, I do not think neo-con means what you think it means. Those two things make a person dangerous, regardless of political ideology.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Gumbel's arrogance and being totally unaccountable for his actions makes him a neo-con. >>

Let me see if I understand: Arrogance + Totally Unaccountable = Neo-Con?

If my math is right, then that makes both Clintons, Ted Kennedy, O.J. Simpson, Dan Rather, Janet Reno and Jesse Jackson neo-cons. If I may paraphrase The Princess Bride, I do not think neo-con means what you think it means. Those two things make a person dangerous, regardless of political ideology. >>

It's just as accurate as those who immediately start piling on liberals when an idiot in the media spouts off. If your going to use the outstanding film which is the Princess Bride you also may want to study up on the parts about avenging one's father.

That said your points above about the "left" are completely accurate, I don't doubt you could make just as many about the "right" if you wanted to.
  • Options

<< <i>Judging by the ratings, he's not alone in having no interest in the winter olympics. When regularly scheduled tv programming like American Idol STOMPS the olympics, is he really wrong? >>

maybe your are unaware, but the Olympics (summer or Winter) are not produced solely for American consumption.

there are Millions around the world that

A) LIVE for the winter sports, and the Winter Olympics

and

B) could care less about the Summer olympics because they do not like sports like soccer, baseball, basketball, syncronized swimming, etc.

we are pretty damn arogant if we honestly think we are in charge or should have things OUR way.

• Options

<< <i>It's just as accurate as those who immediately start piling on liberals when an idiot in the media spouts off. If your going to use the outstanding film which is the Princess Bride you also may want to study up on the parts about avenging one's father.

That said your points above about the "left" are completely accurate, I don't doubt you could make just as many about the "right" if you wanted to. >>

I could make nearly as many points about the right, but I will leave that to someone on the left. image

Yes, both the left and the right have idiots; luckily for my side, the left's idiots are on prominent display on television newscasts every evening, in the newspapers every morning and on all the cable news shows (except Fox) all day long. Which means that the people who point out my side's idiots are the other side's idiots - and they do a very, very poor job of it.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I could make nearly as many points about the right, but I will leave that to someone on the left. image

Yes, both the left and the right have idiots; luckily for my side, the left's idiots are on prominent display on television newscasts every evening, in the newspapers every morning and on all the cable news shows (except Fox) all day long. Which means that the people who point out my side's idiots are the other side's idiots - and they do a very, very poor job of it. >>

Maybe someday we can get a conservative in office, because I've given up on the left.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both Liberals and Conservatives have their fair share of clowns that really make a compelling argument for themselves as not being capable of using the brain that God gave them... Bryant Gumble's comments are just outrageous for so many reasons it seems evident that he just needs to retire. It appears obvious that Mr. Gumble is unaware that left of center governments exist in elsewhere in the world... such as Norway and Sweden, and there are capable athletes there that would not attend a GOP Convention. Mr. Gumble needs to be gently reminded that this is a World event, as do the rest of the talking heads that appear on TV.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Maybe someday we can get a conservative in office, because I've given up on the left. >>

Amen. It'll never happen, but amen anyway.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>there are Millions around the world that

A) LIVE for the winter sports, and the Winter Olympics
    Text >>

Couldn't agree more. Try spending time in Canada, I even started liking curling it was on so much.
  • Options
    Back on topic - this was certainly not a "slip of the tongue" for Gumble. I have watched his HBO show since it's inception, and he constantly slips in some kind of inciteful personal agenda nonsense regarding race on almost every show. I believe he has a guilt complex regarding what/who made him successful in the first place, and now wants to be viewed as a staunch advocate of his now chosen and remembered race.

His comments on the Olympics are assinine and uncalled for. Black atheletes CHOOSE not to participate in these events - they are not discriminated against in their participation. Regarding ratings - it's not about black athelete participation - it's about the public having many more venues and not really giving a hoot about watching stuff they can not associate with.

I watched the season premier of the "Bill Maher" show this week (Axtell's idol) on HBO and Gumble's comments were addressed and mitigated/ridiculed by the black comic on the dias who suggested in so many words that Gumbel is a jerk, biting the hand that fed him and not to be viewed as a spokesperson for his adopted constituants.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I was thinking about this today, and if he doesn't mention the 'GOP convention' comment, all you uptight folk on the rigth wouldn't have shown one iota of emotion.

But condemn the republikan party and WATCH OUT! Hell hath no fury like a neocon scorned.

• Options

<< <i>I was thinking about this today, and if he doesn't mention the 'GOP convention' comment, all you uptight folk on the rigth wouldn't have shown one iota of emotion. >>

As I've said, I am no more offended by whatever drivel comes out of Gumbel's mouth than I would be at curse words from a Tourette's sufferer. Perhaps I should be more understanding of the mentally challenged, but Gumbel just makes me laugh.

What's more interesting is how each party reacts to its idiots than the words of the idiots themselves. David Duke decided he would call himself a Republican some years back, and the Republican Party was stumbling over itself trying to get the word out that it didn't want Duke in the party, it didn't agree with anything he said, and they wished he would just shut up. Likewise with Pat Buchanan. Buchanan, like Duke, eventually got the message and neither one calls himself a Republican anymore. But while they did, the damage they did was significant.

What about the Democrats? They have a KKK Kleagle in the Senate, they have their lip prints all over the rear end of Rev. Hymietown, they put Cindy Sheehan and Michael Moore in prominent positions at every opportunity and they applaud Jimmy Carter for taking the bold stance that America is evil. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't change a thing. The Democrats are evaporating as a serious political party right before our eyes; all of the people I just mentioned, and many more, are doing lasting damage to the Democratic Party but, God bless 'em, they just don't get it.

<< <i>But condemn the republikan party and WATCH OUT! Hell hath no fury like a neocon scorned. >>

I have to admit it, that's a very clever play on words for a 12-year-old. Do your parents know you read dailyKos? He uses a lot of bad words.

• Options
    Don't forget Billary Clinton's remark that Mahatma Gandhi used to run a gas station in St. Louis.

Somehow that didn't get the same attention it would have if Arlen Specter or Orrin Hatch would have made it. With Billary it was a lame attempt at humor.
  • Options
    If the right would actually focus on being conservatives instead of strictly pointing out the idiocy of the left and being "morally" superior I could really get behind them. The right is going to win most major elections (with or without my vote) going forward and with that I hope they show more fiscal responsibility than they have currently shown.
  • Options

<< <i>If the right would actually focus on being conservatives instead of strictly pointing out the idiocy of the left and being "morally" superior I could really get behind them. The right is going to win most major elections (with or without my vote) going forward and with that I hope they show more fiscal responsibility than they have currently shown. >>

I agree completely with the point you're making. The problem, as I see it, is this:

1. Conservatives do, for the most part, concentrate on being conservatives. It's just that there aren't very many of them in Washington. In the executive branch, the only name that comes to mind as a conservative is Cheney, and he is out in public less than any VP in recent history. In the Senate, the only solid conservative with name recognition over 10% outside his home state is Jim Bunning, and he's only well-known because he played baseball. The conservatives are not given leadership positions or ever asked to be the face of the party. In the House, where there are dozens of very conservative members, the only conservative with a leadership role has been DeLay, but his role was not public-facing. His replacement, John Boehner, is also very conservative and I hope they give him a more open role.

2. The Republican Party is, for the most part, scared of the media. Conservatives given prominent roles in the party are, without exception, savaged in the media. What the Republicans need to wake up and realize is that it doesn't matter any more; the public has figured out not to believe what they hear from the media. "Gingrich" was synonymous with "evil" on all of the network newscasts, but he presided over the most successful period in the GOP's history. The voters heard that Gingrich was evil, that the Contract With America was going to leave half the country without food or shelter - and they went and voted Republican at the highest rate in over 100 years. And the Republicans have held both houses of Congress ever since (Benedict Jeffords notwithstanding). There is no reason to be afraid anymore, but the Republicans have not yet figured that out.

3. GWB is NOT a conservative. Dennis Hastert is NOT a conservative. The Media equates "Republican" with "conservative", points out the failings of the Republicans, and announces that conservatives have failed. Conservatives have never failed in Washington - and I think more and more people are starting to realize this.

This is probably the most reliable organization for tracking where each member of Conrgess sits on the Conservative-to-Liberal spectrum. It is interesting to note the enormous difference between the 100% conservatives and the 0% conservatives. The 100%ers are virtually unknown, while the 0%ers are the face of the Democratic Party (Clinton, Kerry, Edwards, Kennedy, Biden, etc.). One of the parties is indeed run by extremists, but it's not the one that the media tells you.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>What about the Democrats? They have a KKK Kleagle in the Senate, they have their lip prints all over the rear end of Rev. Hymietown, they put Cindy Sheehan and Michael Moore in prominent positions at every opportunity and they applaud Jimmy Carter for taking the bold stance that America is evil. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't change a thing. The Democrats are evaporating as a serious political party right before our eyes; all of the people I just mentioned, and many more, are doing lasting damage to the Democratic Party but, God bless 'em, they just don't get it. >>

Really? I thought it was the conservative media who put Cindy Sheehan and Michael moore in prominent places.

But I haven't any discourse to my point that if Gumble doesn't like the games to a GOP convention, there'd be no controversy.

Typical.
  • Options
    It seems that this thread has moved more towards the political side instead of what the Olympics is... and that is a World event... its not about Republicans and Democrats...even though Bryant Gumble seems hell bent on suggesting that Europeans are closet case Republicans. They are not...

As for the Conservative leadership... it is pathetic. I am convinced that Bob Taft and Barry Goldwater are turning in their graves... as for the liberals... I am equally disappointed and shocked with the complete incompetence they have demonstrated for years. Even Bill Clinton made the Republican leadership look like fools on more than one occasion and that says it all...

• Options

<< <i>Really? I thought it was the conservative media who put Cindy Sheehan and Michael moore in prominent places.

But I haven't any discourse to my point that if Gumble doesn't like the games to a GOP convention, there'd be no controversy.

>>

If you really thought that then you are an idiot. If you are joking, then I don't get it. Either way, I haven't the foggiest notion how I could respond.

As for Gumbel, you're probably right. It would have been just as racist without the GOP part, but that's probably the part that kept the quote on the air. I'm not sure why - neither Gumbel hating Republicans nor Gumbel being a racist is exactly "news" anymore.

<< <i>As for the Conservative leadership... it is pathetic. >>

You may be right, but I don't know who "the Conservative leadership" is. What I find pathetic is that since the departure of Reagan and Gingrich, the Republicans have yet to put a conservative in a position where they could lead the party, or even have much of an impact. I can accept Cheney as an exception, but I would need to be convinced that he is "pathetic".
  • Options
    In the last round of VP debates, Cheney came across well, but then again, he was a former Press Sercretary and I would expect nothing less. The bottom line is Cheney is no Bob Taft or Barry Goldwater and that is the dilemma... the right is lacking a decent voice... William F. Buckley and James Buckley may have been brilliant and I respect them even though I disagree with them about 60% of the time... but the ability to express conservatism has been lost by the clowns on the talk radio circuit.

And to be fair... Liberalism is suffering from the same problem... there are no messengers that can effectively communicate what and how Liberalism is dealing with significant issues. The bottom line is... There is not only a power vaccuum, but an idealogical one that is even more pathetic... there are few leaders at the moment because the so-called leaders have convinced me that they have no conviction and are willing to sacrafice principles for political gain.