Home Sports Talk

Bryant Gumbles slip of the tounge

softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody catch wind of Gumbles verbal slip up last week on HBO? He was whining about how much he hates the Olympics and said how much it makes him laugh that anybody believes that the worlds best athletes are in Torino when almost none of them are black. He then said the lack of black athletes reminds him of a GOP convention. Hmmmm

Jimmy the Greek and Rush Limbaugh were flushed down the toilet for this kind of thing. This made alot of waves on New York radio today and I think maybe it gets a bit further out tomorrow.

Please discuss! Is this not a big deal?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryant Gumble is your typical liberal media guy. Enough said.

Shane

• It is a big deal and it's a clear case of reverse racism but he knew before he said it that no one would call him on it.
    If a white conservative said he wasn't going to watch the NBA because there weren't enough white guys he would be hung from the flag pole.
    It makes me sick!
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Seems like a typical neo-con to me. Arrogantly whining that others are wrong because they don't see things his way.
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryant Gumble is arguably the stupidest man on the face of the planet, and has been for decades. I have been turning the channel at the first sight of him for as long as I can remember, out of equal parts revulsion and remorse. It's indecent to put someone like that on television who clearly does not realize that he is a moron, just for the entertainment of others.

It helps if you realize when Gumble speaks that no conscious brain activity is behind the words; punishing Gumble for saying something stupid would be the same as punishing someone with Tourette's Syndrome for cursing. Don't stare, just keep on walking.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Anybody catch wind of Gumbles verbal slip up last week on HBO? He was whining about how much he hates the Olympics and said how much it makes him laugh that anybody believes that the worlds best athletes are in Torino when almost none of them are black. He then said the lack of black athletes reminds him of a GOP convention. Hmmmm

Jimmy the Greek and Rush Limbaugh were flushed down the toilet for this kind of thing. This made alot of waves on New York radio today and I think maybe it gets a bit further out tomorrow.

Please discuss! Is this not a big deal? >>

No, it's not a big deal.

Jimmy the Greek said that blacks were bred to be physically gifted...hardly the same thing as saying it reminded him of a GOP convention. Rush said there was a conspiracy to have a black quarterback do well...and you think this is the same thing?

Hey, last time I checked, this was a free country where people are allowed to express their opinions. You don't want to watch Bryant Gumble or listen to his rhetoric? Guess what, we have this amazing thing in this country called freedom to choose. CHANGE THE DAMNED CHANNEL.

He's a 'typical liberal media guy'? What exactly does that mean? Please explain, and then I am going to assume you (incorrectly) think there's a liberal bias to the media and news, yes?

<< <i>t helps if you realize when Gumble speaks that no conscious brain activity is behind the words; punishing Gumble for saying something stupid would be the same as punishing someone with Tourette's Syndrome for cursing. Don't stare, just keep on walking. >>

Please. Gumble is one of the most well-spoken and intelligent commentators today. Just because you don't agree with his stances, doesn't mean he has no 'brain activitiy'; that's just ignorance talking.

And no, I am not a fan of most of his work...I think he's pompous and arrogant.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    gumbel must not realize this is the winter olympics.. absolutely it is the best athletes in the world, at these particular events.. it was a stupid and ignorant statement on his part..
    ·p_A·
  • Here's the quote

What an idiot.

We should dismiss the Olympics because skating and skiing weren't around in the days of ancient Greece?!? Should we have dismissed the Dream team because basketball wasn't around then?

What a pompous fool. Yes Bryant, there are great white athletes in the world. White, asian, brazilian, all colors and nationalities.

<< <i>Here's the quote

What an idiot.

We should dismiss the Olympics because skating and skiing weren't around in the days of ancient Greece?!? Should we have dismissed the Dream team because basketball wasn't around then?

What a pompous fool. Yes Bryant, there are great white athletes in the world. White, asian, brazilian, all colors and nationalities. >>

Well, is he really all that wrong? Judging by the ratings, he's not alone in having no interest in the winter olympics. When regularly scheduled tv programming like American Idol STOMPS the olympics, is he really wrong?

Is he wrong? Do you really care about the winter olympics? I mean really, or just going to say you do to save face in this discussion? Outside a few minutes of the (tape-delayed) opening ceremonies, I haven't watched a minute of the games, and I could honestly not care less they are going on.

You have athletes like the American downhill team saying 'medals don't matter', and you have a figure skating pair who fall (the Chinese team) yet win a silver medal? What the hell is that about?

Gumble has his opinion that the best athletes in the world are black athletes - a point it seems that so many are seeming to get hung up on.

One last thing - if the winter olympics aren't only about marketing and trying to squeeze extra money, then why the move to 2 years alternating with the summer games?
    american idol stomps everythings ratings, even the grammy's..
    ·p_A·

<< <i>american idol stomps everythings ratings, even the grammy's.. >>

Grey's Anatomy beat it, too.

People just don't care about the winter olympics...and the fact that NBC tried to change the way they classify the ratings proves it. Typically, ratings for a tv show are garnered from the peak number of people who tuned in. NBC attempted to cull ALL the people who tuned in, regardless of how long they watched, in an effort to justify their overspending for an outdated and overdone competition.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>gumbel must not realize this is the winter olympics.. absolutely it is the best athletes in the world, at these particular events.. it was a stupid and ignorant statement on his part.. >>

Absolutely right! It would be just plain silly to ignore the fact that there are sometimes general physical differences amongst races of peoples. For instance Asians are generally smaller in height than Europeans - nothing of course "wrong" with that whatsoever but to pretend that it doesn't exist is just intentionally being naive. And in certain sports events, "smaller" races of people can do better versus generally larger races of people. For instance men of Latino descent dominate some weight divisions in boxing. Not that small Europeans can't fight, but if there is say a 5 to 1 difference in population of smaller people in one race versus another race, given equal numbers of population, than it's just random numbers that more top athletes are going to come from the bigger pool of people.

It does get tiring when some sports commentators get upset because their particular race doesn't dominate in every single sport, and to insist or imply that one race should be fully equally represented in every sport...stupidity and ignorance for sure.

Jimmy the Greek was of course correct with his comments. Slaves were breed that way. Slavery of course was an abhorrent chapter in world history but the fact is that slavery happened and I believe it's better to face such facts as this to remember how terrible crimes such as slavery were. Same as properly remembering the Holocaust, and the genocide which occured to the Indians in the United States. One of my favorite sayings is by Santayana: "Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it"

• << <i>It is a big deal and it's a clear case of reverse racism but he knew before he said it that no one would call him on it.
    If a white conservative said he wasn't going to watch the NBA because there weren't enough white guys he would be hung from the flag pole.
    It makes me sick! >>

I totally agree.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He's a 'typical liberal media guy'? What exactly does that mean? Please explain, and then I am going to assume you (incorrectly) think there's a liberal bias to the media and news, yes? >>

You assumed correctly!

Typical liberal media guy? I don't have the time to explain. If you don't already know, you never will.

Shane

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It is a big deal and it's a clear case of reverse racism but he knew before he said it that no one would call him on it.
    It makes me sick! >>

I totally agree. >>

i agree also....I have had about enough of this crap going on.....when are people going to start coming to their senses and holding everyone equally accountable for their words ? I could care less what the fool Gumble says, but there is no reason he should get away with it if we are going to have witch hunts for everyone else that says stuff like that.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Him and McNabb should start hanging out.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    No doubt most journalists lean left, but the idea that the media and the power behind it is liberal is absurd. I'm sure, say, Jack Welch was thinking about how best to redistribute income or adhere to the Kyoto agreements when he gently nudged his television network in Bush's favor back in 2000. Oh well, kudos to the right for their uncanny skill at skewing public discourse with vapid phrases like "liberal media" and "activist judges."

Anyway, the gist of Gumbel's commentary is dead-on: Nobody gives a crap about the Olympics anymore.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Anyway, the gist of Gumbel's commentary is dead-on: Nobody gives a crap about the Olympics anymore. >>

I agree that a huge majority of people don't care about the Olympics anymore. But what is the "gist" of this:

Bryant Gumble --- " So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the winter games look like a GOP convention"

Is this "dead on" ?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Gumbel hates the Olympics? It must have be hell for him when he hosted the 1988 (or was it 1992?) Summer Olympics for NBC.

• << <i>Hey, last time I checked, this was a free country where people are allowed to express their opinions. You don't want to watch Bryant Gumble or listen to his rhetoric? Guess what, we have this amazing thing in this country called freedom to choose. CHANGE THE DAMNED CHANNEL. >>

Funny how the same "so what" attitude was nowhere to be found when Limbaugh was expressing his right of free speech.

<< <i>He's a 'typical liberal media guy'? What exactly does that mean? Please explain, and then I am going to assume you (incorrectly) think there's a liberal bias to the media and news, yes? >>

You're kidding right?? The majority of printed and tv news is liberal and that's a fact. The only place the right has a voice is talk radio.
    Bryant Gumbel is a pompous a** who's ignorant racist comments will take little or no heat compared to the same thing if it was said by a white guy. You can lie to yourself and say that's not the case but it is.
    other than snowboarding, i didnt watch the games, except for maybe 5 minutes of Apolo Anton speedskating and a couple minutes of the Luge (thats a weird looking sport)..

bottom line is: yes, what gumbel said is reverse racism and if a white person had said it, it would generate alot more coverage..

as for axtell asking what is meant by "typical liberal media", well, it means the same thing as his overuse of the term "typical neocon"..
    ·p_A·
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    One problem with the Olympics is that Gold medals are given out for 1 single event rather than a series of the same event to really see who's the best. How many times have you seen somebody who is by far considered the world's best at their sport make 1 mistake in a 90 second race and not even medal? If it was "best out of 5" or something like that, then a true champion could be established. Training for 10 years for one 10 second sprint seems stupid.

<< <i>
    Typical liberal media guy? I don't have the time to explain. If you don't already know, you never will. >>

So basically you have no idea what it means, and you have no proof that a liberal bias exists. Ok, thanks for clarifying.

<< <i>
    You're kidding right?? The majority of printed and tv news is liberal and that's a fact. The only place the right has a voice is talk radio. >>

REALLY? As Yawie said, all media outlets are owned by MASSIVE businesses with right-leaning conservatives in charge...do you really think any of them have a liberal bone in their bodies?

And the only place the right has a voice is talk radio? Oh sir, if that were only the case. You've never heard of FOX, 'fair and balanced' (as long as fair and balanced means slamming everything to the left of center).

The idea of a liberal media bias is a myth perpetuated by the right.

• << <i>You've never heard of FOX, 'fair and balanced' (as long as fair and balanced means slamming everything to the left of center). >>

Outside of FOX, what Networks would you consider Right leaning?

How about Newspapers? Are most of the major metropolitan newspapers considered left leaning? Outside of The Washington Post and the WSJ what newpsapers would you consider conservative or right leaning?

<< <i>

<< <i>You've never heard of FOX, 'fair and balanced' (as long as fair and balanced means slamming everything to the left of center). >>

Outside of FOX, what Networks would you consider Right leaning?

How about Newspapers? Are most of the major metropolitan newspapers considered left leaning? Outside of The Washington Post and the WSJ what newpsapers would you consider conservative or right leaning? >>

Outside of the NY and LA times, what papers would you consider to be left leaning?

I don't think a bias exists either way in most outlets...to assume there's a liberal bias is silly, especially given the companies that own the biggest TV and newspaper outlets.

• << <i>I don't think a bias exists either way in most outlets...to assume there's a liberal bias is silly, especially given the companies that own the biggest TV and newspaper outlets. >>

Thanks for a good laugh!

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think a bias exists either way in most outlets...to assume there's a liberal bias is silly, especially given the companies that own the biggest TV and newspaper outlets. >>

Thanks for a good laugh! >>

Oh another who believes in the mythology of the supposed liberal media bias.

Riiiiight.

I like how you all assume there to be, but cannot come up with consistent 'liberal' bias in big media outlets. I am not talking one story, I am talking a consistent liberal stance by something other than the LA or NY times.

Anyone?

• << <i>I like how you all assume there to be, but cannot come up with consistent 'liberal' bias in big media outlets. >>

I don't read every paper but I know the Minneapolis StarTribune is left wing.

We have people on these boards from all over the country. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to figure it out. I'm sure if you asked a liberal from Minneapolis they'd say the StarTribue is middle of the road. I'm more conseravtive so I'd say its leftwing.

Political leaning is in the eye of the beholder.

I could probably guess which way each Newpaper leans from the list below and I'd be pretty close.

Seattle
    LA
    Phoenix
    Denver
    Salt Lake City
    St. Louis
    Kansas City
    Chicago
    Dallas
    Houston
    Minneapolis
    Milwaukee
    Detroit
    Atlanta
    New Orleans
    Miami
    Washington DC
    Philadelphia
    Cincinnati
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Boston
    New York
    Baltimore

• Well I can nominate my local paper who I believe has one conservative columnist surrounded by a bunch of liberals.
    And you throwing out Fox News is funny as well when the left has ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC and CNN along with the majority of major newspapers across the country.
    Open your eyes and ears and maybe you will see what others are talking about. It seems like you have the attitude of "my minds made up so don't confuse me with the facts".

<< <i>REALLY? As Yawie said, all media outlets are owned by MASSIVE businesses with right-leaning conservatives in charge...do you really think any of them have a liberal bone in their bodies?
    >>

Since you called someone else out for not providing specific examples of liberal media, I'll give you a chance to show us all how it's done.

Please provide the names of the right-leaning conservatives that are in charge of "all" of the media outlets. In the interest of time, I'll understand if you confine your list to only 10 or 20 - the ones you will know off the top of your head.
  • I'm guessing it will start and end with Rupert Murdoch.

<< <i>I'm guessing it will start and end with Rupert Murdoch. >>

No, Axtell is much smarter than the rest of us. He will look like a fool if he doesn't name at least 20, so I know he will.

Edited to add that I may have gone too far out on a limb here. Now that I think about it, the chairmen of the NYT, LAT, CBS (Viacom) and ABC (Disney) are all very liberal Democrats. But I know Axtell won't let me down! He'll get that list posted in no time.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Gumble was at Nagano for the winter games in 98. He was lovin it when they paid him to be there. IF he had ANYTHING bad to say about winter olympics then he should have done it then, otherwise he is a hypocrite, as well as a racist.

Nobody ever claimed that the partcipants in winter olympics were the worlds "best" athletes. They simply are the best at their sport, whether its skiing, skating, or whatever. So he was dead wrong saying that too.

He also comments that the winter olympics entail niche sports, particularly upper class white sports.....that may be so, but for Gumble that shouldnt be such a problem.........he plays golf 4 or 5 days a week at the most exclusive, upper class private courses in the country where he is the only black man on the course ( and I only mention black because he did ). He certainly doesnt seem to have a problem with that.

This guy was always a fool, a phony, and now has added hypocrite and racist to his resume.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

No liberal media bias? - LOL

Axtell if I told you once I told you a thousand times to stop eating those toadstools that grow in your back yard.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If white media speakers lose their jobs for making racial generalities, so should minority speakers. That's equality. It doesn't matter if the comments are true or false. Don't forget Howard Cosell, a man who loved and supported Muhammed Ali, being roasted for referring to a black footbal player as a monkey. My father used to call me a monkey when I was goofing around as a small kid, I am white and I never realized he thought I was black.

What a crock of sh*t.

JB
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    CBS/Viacom is a massive multimedia conglomerate with reaches into film (Paramount), tv (CBS obviously, but showtime and other cable channels), and video rental (blockbuster is among their holdings).

ABC/Disney is another multimedia conglomerate like CBS/Viacom, but with the Disney franchise added in.

NBC/Universal is just like the other 2, with massive reaches into all areas of film and television.

Fox is, well, Fox. They are headed by Rupert Murdoch and are another massive multimedia enterprise.

ClearChannel communications is a massive corporation that owns over 1200 radio stations in the US.

They are all HUGE corporations making BILLIONS of dollars and have vested interests into pandering to government for favorable tax breaks, and doing whatever it takes to make their companies bigger and more profitable. Whether it's front and center (like Fox and clearchannel) dedicating their agendas to pushing the bush regime, or more covert into pushing for more favorable tax status, they are all guilty.

I'd like to ask all those who scream 'liberal bias!'....what does that mean to you? Does it mean questioning the regime in power once in a while? Does it mean calling out Cheney for shooting someone and leaving it quiet? Do you think a 'fair and balanced' media would *never* question the government? What would it take for you all to call news and media outlets 'unbiased'?

Clearchannel is by far the worst offender of any of the media companies for pandering to the right, even more so than FOX. They paid 'volunteers' to counteract anti-war rallies, they ostracized the dixie chicks for daring to criticize the president, and generally doing everything they can to bypass legislation and allow them to buy up even more radio stations.

Liberal bias my ass.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Norway...image

Frankly, I am tired of the media and how the focus is always on US athletes. The sad reality is the media is pathetic as exemplified by Bryant Gumble. It is a World event and some folks just do not get it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

<< <i>
    Frankly, I am tired of the media and how the focus is always on US athletes. The sad reality is the media is pathetic as exemplified by Bryant Gumble. It is a World event and some folks just do not get it. >>

yeah okay image

what the freaking HELL does that have do do with this??

Bryant Gumble --- " So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the winter games look like a GOP convention"

Axtell, just so we're clear, when you said that all media outlets have right-leaning conservatives in charge, you now realize that you were wrong.

In fact, right-leaning conservatives run Clear Channel and Fox and not much else on a national scale.

As for what "media bias" means to me;

It means referring to Scalia as "far-right" or "arch-conservative" and Ginsburg as "moderate"

It means joining in the massive conspiracy to convince the people of this country that there is now or ever has been a Social Security "trust fund"

It means running stories about how the "rich got richer" and the "poor got poorer" during the 1980's

It means coining the word "homeless" to describe what had always been called "bums" and then blaming Reagan for their existence

It means perpetuating the myth that "the rich" paid a smaller share of the tax burden after the Reagan or Bush tax cuts

It means giving an anti-Semitic lunatic like Cindy Sheehan the time of day, let alone treating her seriously

It means mentioning Trent Lott's off-the-cuff gaffe every time you show his face, but somehow passing over the fact that Robert Byrd was once a kleagle in the KKK

It means giving Hillary a pass on her cattle futures bribes, claiming it is too technical to sort out when everybody who knew how the markets worked said it was impossible for her to be telling the truth

It means hounding Cheney about a 14 hour delay in notifying the press about a nonfatal accident and not asking Kennedy a word about his longer delay in reporting that he had left a girl alone to die

It means slamming Mel Gibson about how his movie was not in keeping with the "spirit" of his subject, even though it was factually unassailable, and then praising Michael Moore for a movie that contained little else but lies and deceptions

It means referring to conservative Christians as "uneducated and easy to control"

It means covering Rush Limbaugh's pill addicition for months and ignoring Al Franken's theft of funds from the Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club

It means hounding Pesident Bush for not doing to more to thwart the 9/11 attacks, and then coming down on him like a hammer when they find out he's actually doing something to try to prevent another

It means putting partisan hacks like Bryant Gumbel, Dan Rather and Keith Olberman on the air and pretending they aren't partisan hacks

And it means giving a pass to Bryant Gumbel when he makes racist remarks, Jesse Jackson when he says "Hymietown", and Al Sharpton for, well, being Al Sharpton

There's more - a lot more - but that should give you an idea
    Ya know what is a crock of $hit? Bryant Gumble is. Tell me, when the uptight stuck up jerkoff was "the man" at the Winter Olympics in Nagano Japan did he even ONCE spew this racist bull$hit? NO becuase he is a PHONY, and dripped with the Olympic glow when HE was in the spotlight.

<< <i>And it means giving a pass to Bryant Gumbel when he makes racist remarks, Jesse Jackson when he says "Hymietown", and Al Sharpton for, well, being Al Sharpton >>

VH1 has a show called "web junk" hosted by a fat black comedian that says things like "stupid white boys" and something to the effect of "dumb rednecks & beer"..
    ·p_A·
    softparade:

It has everything to do with it... Norway has been a powerhouse in the winter Olympics in the modern age. I don't think that can be disputed even by Bryant Gumble... the US media seems to ignore the rest of the world at the Olympic games which is unfortunate because there are many compelling stories worthy to be told to those that are willing to listen... and the US media shows little interest in listening or sharing stories that extend beyond the borders.

The bottom line is... the Winter Olympics has real athletes that have talent that should be respected regardless of what country they are from... further, Bryant Gumble's moronic comments reflect exactly what the media has become... and that is Pathetic... I am sorry you do not understand the point of my post...

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And it means giving a pass to Bryant Gumbel when he makes racist remarks, Jesse Jackson when he says "Hymietown", and Al Sharpton for, well, being Al Sharpton >>

VH1 has a show called "web junk" hosted by a fat black comedian that says things like "stupid white boys" and something to the effect of "dumb rednecks & beer".. >>

True - I always am amazed to hear stuff like that. And, it's always "okay", and even funny - but can you imagine the outcry if the comedian was white, and made a comment about "stupid black boys"? What's the difference?

Gumbel is wrong here, and he should get called out for this...but probably won't. He can slam the Olympics all he wants (I agree, he would never do this when he was working an Olympics himself, and getting paid!) but to play the race card for no reason here seems like an uneducated comment made just for shock value.
    I watched Gumble tonight saying this...it even sounds more rediculous when he speaks the words.
  • Right on dallasactuary! image
  • Gumbel is still pissed at NBC for not coronating him as the best sportcaster turned newscaster that ever lived. His ego has always been his downfall, he has a problem with women, and a lack of self control.

Give him a soapbox and he'll bring the controversy.

Next week he'll be b!+ching because Dick "Elmer" Cheney never took him hunting.

Go Norway...and Finland. Skol brothers...and pass the pickled herring.
    And the Vodka...image

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Axtell, just so we're clear, when you said that all media outlets have right-leaning conservatives in charge, you now realize that you were wrong.

In fact, right-leaning conservatives run Clear Channel and Fox and not much else on a national scale.

As for what "media bias" means to me;

It means referring to Scalia as "far-right" or "arch-conservative" and Ginsburg as "moderate"

It means joining in the massive conspiracy to convince the people of this country that there is now or ever has been a Social Security "trust fund"

It means running stories about how the "rich got richer" and the "poor got poorer" during the 1980's

It means coining the word "homeless" to describe what had always been called "bums" and then blaming Reagan for their existence

It means perpetuating the myth that "the rich" paid a smaller share of the tax burden after the Reagan or Bush tax cuts

It means giving an anti-Semitic lunatic like Cindy Sheehan the time of day, let alone treating her seriously

It means mentioning Trent Lott's off-the-cuff gaffe every time you show his face, but somehow passing over the fact that Robert Byrd was once a kleagle in the KKK

It means giving Hillary a pass on her cattle futures bribes, claiming it is too technical to sort out when everybody who knew how the markets worked said it was impossible for her to be telling the truth

It means hounding Cheney about a 14 hour delay in notifying the press about a nonfatal accident and not asking Kennedy a word about his longer delay in reporting that he had left a girl alone to die

It means slamming Mel Gibson about how his movie was not in keeping with the "spirit" of his subject, even though it was factually unassailable, and then praising Michael Moore for a movie that contained little else but lies and deceptions

It means referring to conservative Christians as "uneducated and easy to control"

It means covering Rush Limbaugh's pill addicition for months and ignoring Al Franken's theft of funds from the Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club

It means hounding Pesident Bush for not doing to more to thwart the 9/11 attacks, and then coming down on him like a hammer when they find out he's actually doing something to try to prevent another

It means putting partisan hacks like Bryant Gumbel, Dan Rather and Keith Olberman on the air and pretending they aren't partisan hacks

And it means giving a pass to Bryant Gumbel when he makes racist remarks, Jesse Jackson when he says "Hymietown", and Al Sharpton for, well, being Al Sharpton

There's more - a lot more - but that should give you an idea >>

Damn, that's pretty good! You just sit and come up with all of that?
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Well where the hell is the JAmaican bobsled team??

<< <i>Damn, that's pretty good! You just sit and come up with all of that? >>

Thanks, and yes. The hard part was forcing myself to stop.

I mean, honestly, all you have to do is think of an issue - absolutely any issue whatsoever since television began - and the one common denominator is that the story has been covered (or not covered) from a left-wing point of view. There almost has to be an exception, but I can't think of one.

God bless Fox News!!! They are almost as biased as CBS, but at least both sides of every issue are out there now.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    The sole brotha man won the 1,000-meter speed skating today. Maybe Gumbel's on to something.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage