Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Poorest Known 1848 CAL $2.50 Gold Piece

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going though some old slides the other day when I came across this picture of a coin that a dealer loaned to me to photograph many years ago. I’m sorry for the quality of the photo, but the only thing I have is a slide, and the only way I could transpose it here was to take a picture of a reflection on the wall.

The basic sharpness grade of the coin is Good-4 IMO with some abnormal wear at the top. It has been holded, and the obverse of the coin has been planed off and engraved into a love token. As such I think that this might be the worst 1848 CAL coin known.

Gold was discovered in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California in January of 1848 at a place known to the history books as Sutter’s Mill. Soon after the discovery the military governor of the California territory, Col. B. B. Mason, shipped 230 ounces of gold to the East Coast. Mason’s intent was to show the purity of the recent discovery.

The gold was assayed at the Philadelphia mint and struck into quarter eagles. These coins were counterstamped at the mint with the letters “CAL” to indicate the origin of the gold they contained. The counterstamp was added while the coins were lying on the die so that no flat spot appears on the opposite side, which is the usual occurrence with counterstamped pieces. The total mintage was believed to be only 1,389 pieces. Today this is one of the most desirable gold coins in the American series.

I could have owned this little piece of history for $1,200, but I did not even consider pulling the trigger on a coin in this condition. Discounting what such an item might be worth today, (a decent one in VF has a Red Book value of $17,500, and would probably sell for more in today’s market) perhaps I should have “sacrificed” $1,200 to the cause.

Still I do have a photo, and I can claim that I handled the worst example of the coin in existence. And that would certainly qualify as an unusual accomplishment!
Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure you put the money to better use....dont feel so bad...
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Cool picture, but sad for the coin. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's on LordM's hat now?
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    excellent post. thank you for taking the time to write it!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you recall, what did the obverse love token say?

Cool coin!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if it's on LordM's hat now? >>

Only if he got the hat insured.

Thanks for sharing the photo and story. Some strange things happen in numismatics.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if it's on LordM's hat now? >>

Only if he got the hat insured.

Thanks for sharing the photo and story. Some strange things happen in numismatics. >>

I wouldn't underestimate his hat. The hat has only gold on it if I remember correclty. The vest is for silver and others.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holey cow!!! image

Don't I wish that were on my hat!!!!

imageimageimageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Holey cow!!! image

Don't I wish that were on my hat!!!!

imageimageimageimage >>

If you did get it, your head would get so big you'd need to get a new hat!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    PS- yes, the Holey Gold Hat contains only gold coins (and one or two gold lookalikes such as an old Spade Guinea gaming token).

It has almost gotten to the point where I wouldn't casually wear it anywhere except a secure bourse floor at a show, since it's worth a couple grand now. I have two newps on it that have Eliasberg pedigrees- an ancient Roman solidus of the Emperor Zeno and a Byzantine piece from the 11th century. So the hat has some class, now. But no California quarter eagle (except for a regular 1856-S).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Fascinating Bill, Thanks for sharing that! image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    My Holey Gold Hat newps, which should get here pretty soon!

imageimage

<< <i>Zeno (emperor of the East, A.D. 476-491). AV Solidus. Thessalonica, A.D. 476 or later. RIC 941. Metcalf 223. Choice VF.
    4.27 grams, 20.40 mm. Obv Helmeted, cuirassed bust three-quarters facing of Zeno, holding spear and decorated shield. Rev Victory standing l., holding long cross, two stars in field. A scarcer issue. Scratched in right obverse field and holed, otherwise Choice VF. >>

imageimage

<< <i>Constantine IX (A.D. 1042-1055). AV Histamenon Nomisma. Constantinople.
    4.41 grams, 25.60 mm. Obv Seated figure of Christ, facing, nimbus cruciger behind, holding the Book of Gospels, r. hand raised in benediction. Rev Facing crowned bust of Constantine IX, wearing loros, holding labarum and globus cruciger. Shifted strike, holed and plugged near edge, otherwise EF. >>

This is the latest newp (swap, actually). I just traded an unholed ANACS G6 1875-P USA 20c piece for it. Call me crazy if you like.

imageimage

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    bump for HoledandCreative

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    That coin is dang awesome.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, the stories it could tell...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Greg.

Where is that Cal. now? Maybe it is for sale?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting but very depressing in that condition. Unless it were extremely cheap, I wouldn't want it in my collection.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never did see a picture of the obverse.... Gold is gold... I will take all you don't like...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would fathom a guess that the coin was used as a necklace and the uneven wear is due to the lower part being constantly fingered/tugged on/pulled,etc.
  • Options
    Sam123Sam123 Posts: 175
    Yes the obv was smooth with black enamaling and a gold G in the center as I recall. I owned it once.
    People who don't trust other people. Can't be trusted.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Oh, the stories it could tell... >>

what about being draped between some ta-tas for X number of year....Ya that would be a good story
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The mint had an active recoinage program for worn or mutilated gold coins. Millions of gold pieces met the melting pot, likely including many of the CAL examples.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file