Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will you be a sheep in 2006?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
Almost everybody almost always follows the crowd. Coins are hot so you're bullish. CCs are popular so you want more of them. Laura says widgets rot so you avoid them. Face it. You're probably a sheep.

But maybe this time you can change!

Tell us precisely how you resolve to NOT follow the crowd in 2006.

Baaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I buy moderns and guesses the Sac 2001-S in Greg's contest 2 years ago, I doubt I can be called a sheep.

Seems you want to poke and prod on people though. About the same in every post.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I will be doing the same thing in 2006 that I did in 2005.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No...

More of the same which would be off topic for this US Coin Forum...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep looking around me for the crowds but it's still pretty quiet. It's going to take
    higher prices on the more pedestrian moderns to make many believers. We should
    see this in '06 and then the herders, wolves, collies, and flocks should grow.

...And I'll have to look for greener pastures. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Sticking to my circulated sets this year...except I really want a pattern or two by the end of the year.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to not follow the crowd.... they are buying just about everything!!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    If I'm a sheep, them I'm certainly a black sheep........blue toned MS roosevelt dimes and PCGS PO01 1792-1964 Type set......I'm about 3 standard deviations from the norm......I never worry about "following the flock"......
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    My problem is I like gold but now everyone likes it. I plan on doing the same thing but I am not following the crowd. The crowd is following me. image
  • Options
    going to continue (ie buy my 2nd, 3rd, and as many as i can afford) my G04/06 set of key dates. i guess im just a sheep
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like most sheep, I am a slave to the paper that surrounds me. Bills, mail, books, checks, magazines, newspapers, etc. Enough! In 2006, I refuse to let a pile of paper dictate the course of my life. In 2006, I will instead be a slave to little metal objects.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Baaaaaaah! baaaaaaaaah! baaaaaaaaaah!image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will I be sheeple in 2006? Naah!

Meep Meep. Meep Meep.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Baah Baah Black Sheep ...

1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I will follow my shepard - the US Mint - just as I always have.

When the Wolf tells me to buy classic stuff in TPG slabs - I will not listen.

This shall be the year when classics are relegated to viewer material only. First will be that exhibit at the Smithsonian. Next I hope to visit the ANA in Colorado.

Baaaaa BaaaaaBaaaaaa
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

First and foremost, happy New Year to everyone!!! Just watched the ball drop about 45 minutes ago. I can't believe it's 2006 already. 2010 will be here before you know it, and that will be just weird image

<<Tell us precisely how you resolve to NOT follow the crowd in 2006. >>

I intend to become a shepherd image

• Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Andy raises an important point.
    We (colectively) tend to be buoyed by the marketplace. We feel optomistic as prices raise. We believe that this is a sign of future success. It is difficult to be sure when a business or coin cycle will end and want to believe that this year will be special. I note that I am buying coins that have risen in price 2-4 X in the past 7 years. We are told this is only the beginning. The point is whether you be a dealer, investor or collector you are susceptible to market excessess. Look for areas that are less exploited.
    The message is be careful; sxxt happens.
    Trime
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll continue to collect what about 6 people in the US care about. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always been the kind of guy that follows the crowd, so as soon as a trend emerges, I'm ON it. Even if I don't understand it, I can't stand people not thinking I'm "with it". Sure, I'm stuck with 50 packs of Pokemon cards, but for a while, I was right in the with everyone else.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My problem is I like gold but now everyone likes it. I plan on doing the same thing but I am not following the crowd. The crowd is following me. image >>

Same here. I was buying gold when no one else wanted it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Move to the greyside! If you really want to take a walk on the wild side, try Newfy coins. image
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    I was putting away 100 ounce silver bars and gold bullion back in 2001. I was also collecting GSA dollars, CC Morgans and working on proof sets from 64 back.

I've also grabbed any coin I felt I could flip for a profit along the way.

I've been doing the same thing since then and intend to continue through 2006. I don't know if that makes me a sheep or a shepard. I just know I'm consistant.

Frankly, I'd like to see a value drop in precious metals for at least one more year, though I'm afraid the tide is building against that.

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkside.

Collect interesting items that don't cost much.

Free myself from the need to impress others with how expensive my collection is. (I've actually already done this.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always been the kind of guy that follows the crowd, so as soon as a trend emerges, I'm ON it. Even if I don't understand it, I can't stand people not thinking I'm "with it". Sure, I'm stuck with 50 packs of Pokemon cards, but for a while, I was right in the with everyone else. >>

before the pokemon craze was pogs.....

know what i am talking about?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Text

Text

This is what I like... dripping with originality and worthy of an original surfaces designation

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <Tell us precisely how you resolve to NOT follow the crowd in 2006.>

I refuse to respond to rediculous threads about sheep

DOH!
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I plan on sticking to my "Quality over Quantity" position. I don't think that makes me a sheep, does it?imageimage
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I collect Dahlonega Gold. Now that hardly makes me a sheep. A fool maybe....but not a sheep.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will continue to always look for raw pieces first, then buy plastic if the coin I want happens to be hiding in there.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I'm not going to spend much time thinking about what may or may not be popular- I'm just going to try to keep buying coins that make my heart flutter...... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Andy:
    I am FAR from a sheep. So much so, I am putting my money where my mouth is:

1) NOT bullish on Gold, that it will be simply the latest "fad".

2) Bullish on the U.S. dollar and the Stock Market.

3) Selling more coins than buying. But selective selling: Top/pop PCGS's. Not rarities.

The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    Sample slabs!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baaaaaaaah

and proud of it image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect Dahlonega Gold. Now that hardly makes me a sheep. A fool maybe....but not a sheep.

What's less popular than Dahlonega gold? New Orleans gold, which I also collect. Does that make me a bigger fool? Probably.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I collect draped bust cents by variety, 18th century british merchant tokens, Municipal German notgeld tokens, and slabs by variety. If I'm a sheep it must be a very small flock.
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I've got to get the 2006 state quarters for my album.

How's that for nonconformity? image
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Tell us precisely how you resolve to NOT follow the crowd in 2006. >>

I think VAMs and clashed Morgans will continue to grow in popularity and price. Yes, I will be buying them, cherrypicking, as I have been accumulating them for years now. In a sense I won't be a sheep as much as a shepherd, feeding the sheep.

I might also go back to my set of rare Fugios and start collecting US Colonial currency which, last I looked, hasn't participated in quite the appreciation that a lot of other currency has.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Darkside!! Simple Pleasures......image

A Coronation medal.

Common - but pretty.

Gone, but not forgotten.

A brass gaming token, but showing superior engraving skills.....what's not to like??? Bahhhhhhh!

• Options
    I will be looking for Civil War and Patriotic Tokens as well as Colonial and Continental Currency, as well as early copper, mostly half cents. In my opinion these are sleepers that have so much history behind them.
    Regards
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blacksheep, maybe........I mean what the heck, a leopard can't change it's spots.
    I know I've never been a snake or a rat, once in a while I am a jack ass. Some chicks think I'm a stud while others consider me a pig. These labels kill me (LOL), so I am gonna make like a cow and mooooooooove. Wait, I might be bullish or bearish, I am so confused.

I am not a trend setter, nor a follower. When the wide AM cents came out, it seemed few were touching them , but I bought a few rolls of them. Now I am doubling my money only four years later. When the US Mint put out the Marine dollars, there was a melee or a stampede of sheep ordering them....... I didn't order one image... well I got one with the Legacy set.

I think it is unfair to say anyone is "sheepish" as though following a trend is mindless. I mean what choices do we have in numismatics, really ? I like rarities, oddities, and super high grade coins. I have nothing complete in a set, I don't specialize in any particular type, I enjoy the field and the people in the field. I love the stories of success as well as the new YNs up and coming. It is very impressive how savvy our young people are.

I started buying gold as soon as I got divorced (2000) knowing nothing was going to end up in a pawn shop out of my house again. I have seen the value increase on every single coin I have purchased(barring counterfeits). This is either because the collectiblity of the coin created price increases, or the spot prices of silver, gold, and even copper has taken nice strides upward over the past couple years.

For me personally, I found out what a 7070 is through the forum in 2005 (thanks gang)... and I think I will get one of them albums from Dansco and start working on filling it with all problem free coins in 2006. I guess that would make me sheepish since there are many who already have them, but they sound like a great way to further the cause and promotion of Numismatics and History for the sake of education and enjoyment. Now if sheep make a profit, I'll sell my wool, bring your shears image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    I was thinking more about being an emu in 2006, but as far as coins go I will blindly follow where ever the dealers lead me, unless of course I'm not going in that direction

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file