Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally! An image of my Oregon that is true to form...Opinions welcome!

Thanks "MrSpud" for helping me properly portray my cherished Oregon commem!image
Opinions welcome!

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It's marginally attractive.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>It's marginally attractive. >>

Russ was being marginally generous in his assessment.

Edited to add: That is one gorgeous coin!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much to say other than... wow... its a keeper.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    stunner!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i like it. very nice.
  • Options
    It's purdy. Can I have it?
    Don
  • Options
    Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all.image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "Sweet" Very nice pick up. Congrat's
  • Options
    You post a coin like that and your not coming to FUN to show it off??? Your out of the club so now we have to change the secret handshake image
  • Options
    Somewhere over the rainbow!

Really nice coin, Dizzy.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    WOW!!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killer!
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Santa: I've been really good this year and this will fit into my stocking . . . . image

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    A moose!image
  • Options
    Please enter my name in your giveaway. It's very generous of you!!!!
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Holy crap! (In a good way)
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    superbimage
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, the photo is overexposed and the colors juiced in post processing. Otherwise a good photo of a superb coin...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    It's OK.

imageimage
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>IMHO, the photo is overexposed and the colors juiced in post processing. Otherwise a good photo of a superb coin...Mike >>

Mike, feedback, whether praise or constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome. I must elaborate and say that when viewing this coin under good lighting, this is EXACTLY what the colors,and the coin itself looks like. I would not accept anything otherwise.image
    Edited to add: I'm dazzled myself as to how striking this Oregon is in-hand!image ...and I couldn't be happier that it's finally captured true to form in an image to share.image
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Nice Bands image

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    EXCELLENT TONER. GOT A SHOT OF THE BACK OF THE OREGON? KEEP THAT ONE HIGH AND DRY.
    commeman
  • Options
    PS THE GETTYSBURG NOW RESIDES IN THE DIZZYFOXX COLLECTION .BINGHAM IS OUT OF THE PICTURE. IF HE WANTED IT HE WOULD HAVE KEPT IT AS MOST MAJOR COMMEMORATIVE GYUS HANG ON TO THEIR MAJOR DUPES UNLESS THEY GET OFFERED SKY CRAZY BUCKS.
    commeman
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The coin is adequate.image

Might even squeek by St Feldolinis

standards.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Very sweet! Drool worthy!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, feedback, whether praise or constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome. I must elaborate and say that when viewing this coin under good lighting, this is EXACTLY what the colors,and the coin itself looks like. I would not accept anything otherwise.image
    Edited to add: I'm dazzled myself as to how striking this Oregon is in-hand!image ...and I couldn't be happier that it's finally captured true to form in an image to share.image >>

You have the coin in hand, so I'll bend to your perspective on the colors.

However, I stick by my guns on the overexposed comment. The photo has blown highlights most easily seen in the lower right of the coin. If you take the photo and look at the values of the RGB for pixels in the area, you will note values of 255,255,255 which is indicative of an overexposide photo. While blown highlights when photographing coins is oftentimes virtually impossible, the areas in which your photo is overexposed are too expansive for my eye.

In digital photography it is imperative not to blow highlights and overexpose. In contrast, underexposure is a much more fixable problem in post processing, details that are not visible can be amplified easily. However with blown highlights, the details are generally complely gone and no amount of post processing can restore them. So if you are going to make a mistake one way or the other, make it on the "dark" side and underexpose.

If your camera gives you the ability to turn on the "blinkies" or see where the photo is overexposed by blinking the pixels, this can be used to tell if you've blown highlights. Incidentally, the reason that this feature is available on some cameras is due to the problem blown highlights cause in post processing.

Another feature one should make themselves familiar with is the histogram -- basically a plot of the brightness of the pixels. Some camras have a feature to preview the histogram immediately after you take the photo. If yours does, learn to use it as histograms are an even better tool to tell you about the exposure of your photo.

I hope this helps, for that's my intent...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    ...Dizz....I don't think you have ever posted a coin that I didn't like...this one is GREAT also....imageimage
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. If you posted a toned birthmarked full hair Kennedy, Russ would be more excited. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice OR.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    The coin I like, nice..image

I'm with Mike as far as the pic goes............but I'll be damned if I understand all that technical jargan. I too at times have a problem with overexposing my pics..image

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I like it a lot. I have no Oregon commem yet but someday hope to find one like yours (that's at a good price of course).

Nice combination of toned and untoned areas.

Good photo too.

-Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike, feedback, whether praise or constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome. I must elaborate and say that when viewing this coin under good lighting, this is EXACTLY what the colors,and the coin itself looks like. I would not accept anything otherwise.image
    Edited to add: I'm dazzled myself as to how striking this Oregon is in-hand!image ...and I couldn't be happier that it's finally captured true to form in an image to share.image >>

You have the coin in hand, so I'll bend to your perspective on the colors.

However, I stick by my guns on the overexposed comment. The photo has blown highlights most easily seen in the lower right of the coin. If you take the photo and look at the values of the RGB for pixels in the area, you will note values of 255,255,255 which is indicative of an overexposide photo. While blown highlights when photographing coins is oftentimes virtually impossible, the areas in which your photo is overexposed are too expansive for my eye.

In digital photography it is imperative not to blow highlights and overexpose. In contrast, underexposure is a much more fixable problem in post processing, details that are not visible can be amplified easily. However with blown highlights, the details are generally complely gone and no amount of post processing can restore them. So if you are going to make a mistake one way or the other, make it on the "dark" side and underexpose.

If your camera gives you the ability to turn on the "blinkies" or see where the photo is overexposed by blinking the pixels, this can be used to tell if you've blown highlights. Incidentally, the reason that this feature is available on some cameras is due to the problem blown highlights cause in post processing.

Another feature one should make themselves familiar with is the histogram -- basically a plot of the brightness of the pixels. Some camras have a feature to preview the histogram immediately after you take the photo. If yours does, learn to use it as histograms are an even better tool to tell you about the exposure of your photo.

I hope this helps, for that's my intent...Mike >>

Mike, your feedback is ALWAYS appreciated. I must say that when viewing the coin under good quality halogen lighting, that this is honestly exactly what the coin looks like. The colors in the toning are dead on, and the lower right untoned area is very white and lustrous. Thanks so much for your input for I am always eager to learn the finer details of the hobby and imaging.image
  • Options
    It's so pretty it's too pretty!image
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    Dang Dizz, I dont know how you do it, but you find the absolute best in Toned Classic Commems!!!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    I have had that dang Oregon on my screen saver all day....
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had that dang Oregon on my screen saver all day.... >>

On the compliment scale, you just got the topper.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    That coin blows. Send it to me now, and I'll dispose of it properly!image
  • Options
    ER, fall asleep with the 'enter' key depressed?
  • Options
    Generally i dont like toners at all.

But i love Oregons

Oregon+Toning = Wood

If Bruce Scher is drooling it has to be Wood Worthy ™ !

Proof
  • Options

<< <i>Generally i dont like toners at all.

But i love Oregons

Oregon+Toning = Wood

If Bruce Scher is drooling it has to be wood worthy !

Proof >>

If a pretty toned coin is equivalent to a little "wood". Then IMHO, this Oregon = imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file