Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In your opinion, do certain coins look better with subdued luster?

Are there certain designs that are more attractive when the coin isn't lustrous? Have you ever seen a coin where booming luster detracts from the eye appeal?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Nope, can't think of a one.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    No way!image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Matte Proof Gold and 1921 Peace $1's--hides collector mishandling if nothing else.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    I on't say that Type 1 buffalo nickels are prettier with subdued luster, but I will say that those that are best struck are typically subdued. Very often, these pieces bear many resemblances to their matte proof cousins and require a special form of appreciation. I have seen many MS67 graded Type 1 pieces that showed this characteristic and were extremely fetching. I like the subtleties that the combination of strike, rough surface details (as designed) and subtle luster impart. This can also be true for any circulation strike coin that has a thick, natural skin and concomitantly subdued luster. It may be an qcquired taste.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Dark glossy copper looks nice without luster.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dark glossy copper looks nice without luster. >>

I don't know, I've seen some dark copper with fantastic luster and it made me drool.
  • Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    I think a more subdued matte/frosty/satiny appearance can be very striking and attractive, for example, on Peace dollars and Washington quarters (not that I don't like booming luster, too!). Sadly, it seems that some TPGs don't share this view!

John
  • Options
    I love booming luster, especially when it brings out beautiful toning on a coin. When purchasing gold, luster is the most important thing I look for. In fact, I am kind of a luster monger.
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i> In fact, I am kind of a luster monger. >>

That's the single best line I've read all week! I wish "Luster monger" were my screen name.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, older coins, say pre 1835, look unnatural with booming luster. Ie., if you see Unc.Draped Bust coinage with booming luster, someone played with it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, older coins, say pre 1835, look unnatural with booming luster. Ie., if you see Unc.Draped Bust coinage with booming luster, someone played with it. >>

agreed. i like post-seated coins with some booming luster - pre-barber coins with a thick layer of history on it =P
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>In fact, I am kind of a luster monger. >>

I am a luster luster.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    FECs...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>

<< <i>IMO, older coins, say pre 1835, look unnatural with booming luster. Ie., if you see Unc.Draped Bust coinage with booming luster, someone played with it. >>

agreed. i like post-seated coins with some booming luster - pre-barber coins with a thick layer of history on it =P >>

Yep.
    Remember that lustrous blast white mint state Bust Dollar on ebay a while back?image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file