Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone collect PCGS mechanical errors

I thought I read somewhere that there is a market for this

Comments

• Options
    There is a small market. The more valuable ones are where there is more than one error on the label. A single mechanical error like a wrong date might bring $10-15 over the coins value while a slab with 3 errors, wrong date, mintmark and denomination might bring $40 over the value.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭

I have a few Ikes I got real excited about when I checked my grades on an invoice......they
    said I had made (4) 1974-S MS69's!image
    I was only excited for a minute,....the submisssion was for PROOF coins not MS.
    Does PCGS "frown upon"image some one selling a mislabeled coin as long as they are not
    trying to pass it off as a correctly labeled one?
    I was thinking of putting one on eBay to see what it would bring, but don't want to "upset"
    any one at PCGS.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian

I LOVE image IKES! image
  • Options
    Yup, I do..image

I have about 10 or so PCGS and about 8 between the other services.

This one is my fav PCGS error and as an extra bonus the grader threw in a nose hair..image

this one is my all time favorite and my most expensive error slab

Not only can't that company grade, they can't spell either

Herbimage
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> image >>

I coulda lived without this commentimage
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the granddaddy of PCGS mechanical errors, You would NOT believe how much (and how often) I have been offered for this slab. It is NOT for sale.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a favorite of mine. I purchased it from a fellow board member here. How often do you get to see Booker T Washington shake hands?
    Obviously, I collect mechanical errors. As long as they are collected with a nice sense of humor, PCGS is pretty cool about it too.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Here's mineimage

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>There is a small market. The more valuable ones are where there is more than one error on the label. A single mechanical error like a wrong date might bring $10-15 over the coins value while a slab with 3 errors, wrong date, mintmark and denomination might bring $40 over the value. >>

Dang, all this time I've been spending return postage to get them fixedimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bawh haw haw haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Herb,

Cool Merc!!image
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes . . . .

My favorite is a Lexington (64) in a Sesqui holder. Problem is . . . the thing has been tried twice for a 65 . . . seems to be a lock, but I don't want to send it in again and lose my mechanical error . . . paid about a $50 premium for it.

Also a couple NGC mis-dates . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love em.....if you ever have any to sell please offer to me!!!! thanks....image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    I thought I has 74-S's.....Dug them out and they turned out to be 73-S'simage
    Here is one:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file