Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How Was Long Beach?

WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
Good morning,

I am currently outside of the United States at this time, and consequently I missed attending the recent Long Beach, CA convention held last week. This was the first Long Beach show I had missed in almost five years.

For those of you who attended, what did you think of the vibe there?
Would anybody care to post a brief show report?
Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard it was an "Insignificant" show. That's why I no longer attend this show.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Guess you gonna have to change your sigline to "Attending almost all major coin conventions".image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I heard it was an "Insignificant" show. That's why I no longer attend this show. >>

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Guess you gonna have to change your sigline to "Attending almost all major coin conventions".image >>

Yes, for "lunch" and hand holding.image I'm hearing there is no sense to attend otherwise.
  • Options
    Tough crowd.image
  • Options

<< <i>I heard it was an "Insignificant" show. That's why I no longer attend this show. >>

Who did you hear that from?

BYW, I for one didn't miss you being there and I ate lunch with FRIENDS image but we weren't holding hands
    Building 33-47 Mint Sets always looking for MS67s PM with any coins you might have for sale.

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options

<< <i>BYW, I for one didn't miss you being there >>

now hurt my feelings why don't you!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BYW, I for one didn't miss you being there >>

now hurt my feelings why don't you! >>

Can't miss ya if I don't know ya!
    And if you never go to this show I never will meet ya!
    Building 33-47 Mint Sets always looking for MS67s PM with any coins you might have for sale.

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    look for some of the major dealers to come tell us why things are still hot even though our eyes and ears are starting to tell us otherwise. the big dump is getting closer.
  • Options

<< <i>look for some of the major dealers to come tell us why things are still hot even though our eyes and ears are starting to tell us otherwise. the big dump is getting closer. >>

Is the sky falling?

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>look for some of the major dealers to come tell us why things are still hot even though our eyes and ears are starting to tell us otherwise. the big dump is getting closer. >>

Is the sky falling? >>

Perhaps for the mediocre stuff, but I would guess the beautiful treasures and unique pieces are and will remain strong. Basically, the coins that make the collector go...image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

<< <i>Is the sky falling? >>

Hope so ... smoe of the prices realized are getting way too far out of hand ... the market as a whole needs to tank.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the sky falling? >>

Hope so ... smoe of the prices realized are getting way too far out of hand ... the market as a whole needs to tank. >>

Hope so???
    Prices are still lower than the all time highs!
    Why would you hope for such a thing? image

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options
    The dealers I talked to all had good shows. Some others did not.
    There were qiute a few empty tables, mostly due to the hurricane situation. Traffic was light, but what else is new.
    I was told that Early Gold was selling well.
    I was tracking and bidding on some Proof coins and Early Type in the auctions, they all brought strong money. The proofs were nice though, not NCS'd or dipped out stuff.
    I really thought there might be a few bargins in the auctions?? I was wrongimage Prices are continuing to climb for properly graded coins, above average coins and PQ coins.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options

<< <i>Hope so???
    Prices are still lower than the all time highs!
    Why would you hope for such a thing? image >>

Between inconsistancies at the various TPGs, too many people playing the point spread on lackluster coins, and stupid money being paid based on the point spread for nice coins ... just feel it is about time ...
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the $8 admin charge kept a lot of people away....I heard bowling balls down the aisles....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

<< <i>the $8 admin charge kept a lot of people away....I heard bowling balls down the aisles.... >>

They lowered the show admission to $6 before the show started. Instead of $8 and a $4 off coupon they charged $6 admission with a $2 coupon you could print online. Ron Gillio announced this several times at the show. You musta been hearing the bowling balls over the loudspeakerimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Charging admission is just wrong. I will no longer attend any show requiring admission. I made that decision at the last Blue Ridge show.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Charging admission is just wrong. I will no longer attend any show requiring admission. I made that decision at the last Blue Ridge show. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Guess you gonna have to change your sigline to "Attending almost all major coin conventions".image >>

I don't worry...it was a one time event. I am currently out of the country attending to another affair.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Thanks for the report to those who responded.

As for the "insignificance" factor, Long Beach is still a very good show to attend and one of my favorites although it isn't as large or "happening" as it once was. I don't anticipate on missing another Long Beach Convention in the forseeable future.
  • Options
    I guess there were some reports of Long Beach, but it's hard to make a general consensus on the overall result of the Long Beach show because there seems to be some mixed reviews. I really tried to be at the show, but I had other business that came up literally the day before I planned to leave for the show and I was a bit ill the few days before the show too.

It seems that Long Beach is always very well attended, so for those who were there, how was the attendance compared to other previous Long Beach shows?
  • Options
    Also, I would assume that the Long Beach show was much better attended than the Anaheim show two weeks before. For those who were there, is that true?
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Long Beach was great for dealer to dealer business but floor traffic was slow as my dealer friends told me.I had a great show but being a toned Morgan guy and the Battle Creek auctions made it great for me.Gold and key dates were hot.Hope to see many of you in Vegas next month.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options

<< <i>Also, I would assume that the Long Beach show was much better attended than the Anaheim show two weeks before. For those who were there, is that true? >>

Absolutely.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Also, I would assume that the Long Beach show was much better attended than the Anaheim show two weeks before. For those who were there, is that true? >>

Absolutely. >>

I would definitely hope so...what was the total attendance at Anaheim? 200?
  • Options
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Is that a loud PLOP!, that we hear from Long Beach?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>the $8 admin charge kept a lot of people away >>

If you're going there to possibly spend $1000s on coins, is this really a deterrent?
  • Options
    Once you attend and are on the mailing list,

you get a $2 off coupon mailed to you before

each show. The parking is a bigger bother then

the admission fee.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the $8 admin charge kept a lot of people away >>

If you're going there to possibly spend $1000s on coins, is this really a deterrent? >>

Do you really think the average collector spends $1,000's at a coin show? Get real. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    When the market gets really soft, the admission fees

will just, melt away.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    please note date of original thread (year, particularly....)

• Options
    We wuz bamboozled?

However the topic is again

relevent.
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Charging admission is just wrong. I will no longer attend any show requiring admission. I made that decision at the last Blue Ridge show. >>

I agree with you up to a point. I don't mind paying $1 or $2 at a small show that is being put on by a local club.

Jerry
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    For us cheapskates, you can print the $2 discount coupon from the website: www.longbeachshow.com

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    I bought a bunch of stuff at the show, mostly proof sets and early commems. Usually dealers weren't willing to give good wholesale prices before the public came in but I got a number of good deals and most were pretty willing to deal. The Wednesday dealer day did not seem as frantic and busy as the last few shows. Could be just the summer lull still or weather abroad. Who knows.

If you are going stop by Macintosh's table...he has a 16+ ounce gold nugget from Australia it is way cool.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I'm not as tuned into what makes a show good or bad as many of you, but I didn't see any difference between this one and other ones. Or between this one and ANA and FUN.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file