Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

COINOPOLY BOARD GAME...YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE!

Alright guys, my company has been toying with the idea of making a coin board game based on monopoly. Everything will be custom (pawns, board, chance cards) for the coin hobby. Every property will be a rare coin you can buy. There will be coin shops instead of green houses and coin conventions instead of hotels.

I need your thoughts and ideas. Will this be popular with coin collectors?

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    How will you deal with the license issue?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Sounds lame to me.
  • Options
    I really love monopoly, but honestly there are so many different one-offs of this game that it feels the market is saturated.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i am most likely wrong but i think not much interest as many people now are too busy to sit down and play this game that involves much thought and at least a few hours of time to enjoy and then you need some really advanced and/or truly hot to trot interested people in playing this game

now it would need to be something like all these online games or like a solitary game and then it would need the kiss principle to work keeping it simple

i myself do not think there would be much if any demand for it

i myself would not be interested in it at all

sorry to say

it does sound fantastic but maybe you know the market much better than me for such a thing

i have not played a board game in many decades and no matter what kind of board game it is i am not interested at all and even if i was interested it would be something like chess

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I am not interested in playing any form of Monopoly, I suspect that if such a product were to hit the market, I and many other coin collectors would end up with one of the games given as a birthday or holiday gift. Well-meaning friends or relatives would mistakenly figure that Coinopoly would make a perfect gift for someone interested in coins.
  • Options
    I like Monopoly, and this version would be a fun takeoff, but seriously, if I had the time to play a game, I'd be golfing or fishing. Spare time no longer exists. Also, many folks here, anyway, own the actual rare coins you would feature, so where's the fun in that for them? Also, would you have to get approval to use images of their coins?image
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Sounds like your target market you are aiming for with the "coin" monopoly theme is a bit small for it to be a big hit. It will be more of a novelty.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    I'd agree that the market is saturated (Catopoly, Make-Your-Own-opoly, State Universityopolies), but also agree that people might buy them as a gift. How did you plan to market them? If only by ads in coin magazines, etc, then you probably won't generate enough sales to make it pay off. Now, if you can get Walmart to sell them, you can retire comfortably.

Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Will this be popular with coin collectors? >>

Ummm....

No
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can get around any legal issues with the makers of Monopoly and if you can keep it pretty cheap I'd buy one.
  • Options
    Not to rain on your parade--but it would depend on having several people to play--while I might want to go for the 1856 FE--my other family members or guests would probably be saying--"What's that?"and who cares?
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like something someone would buy as a gift for someone they know to be a collector when they have no other idea what to get them.
  • Options
    What? My "Survivor: The Coin Show" won't make it on FOX?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Thank you for the comments and suggestions. How about a coin version of Trivial Pursuit? This game would be fun and informative. Keep the comments coming in!
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    I do like the coin fact game idea. But my problem is I have no one to play it with. My friends don't collect coins.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    A game needs more than a theme - it needs to hold the players' interest. Now, it's pretty rare for a group of collectors to be in the same place at the same time (other than at a show or club meeting). If the game has no appeal to non-collectors, then the number of times such a game could or would be played is going to be miniscule, unless there's a solitaire option. And it would still have to be interesting and challenging.

And then there's the question of how you define the goal of the game. If it's skill-based (e.g., trivia questions), a lot of gameplay won't be very competitive. I could probably beat 80% of all collectors in the US, and in turn I would be crushed by a good number of the membership here. Team-based knowledge games are more competitive since you can balance out the teams, but that again means you need a good number of people interested in playing.

If the game isn't skill-based, then what's the goal going to be and what would the gameplay be like? I enjoy board games, and I'm having trouble imagining any way to make it interesting if it's mostly luck (like Monopoly).

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Try an on-line version where we could team up and play via the net--that way you avoid all of the problems inherent with trying to involve our non-collector family and friends--I like the trivial pursuit angle--actually the NGC Board has or used to have a weekly quiz where you could win prizes--I actually won once. Don't give up--just be creative.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options

<< <i>I do like the coin fact game idea. >>

Coin World did it almost 20 years ago with the Coin World Trivia game. Hundreds of questions, different catagories, and different levels of difficulty. Both of my local coin clubs use it from time to time when we don't have a formal presentation. Everyone gets up and they go around asking each person a question. If they get it wrong they sit down. Last one standing wins a prize, usually a silver dollar. A couple of times we have used them for a Jepardy or High-Q type game as well. I'm not allowed to play.
  • Options
    Guys, the game would have a hierarchy (ie the boarkwalk would be the 1893-s morgan and so on). I think this would make it pretty interesting!
  • Options
    In that case, proceed.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Not enough market to break even - - - -
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots of -opoly clones out there....

what are their sales vs. potential market size? what is the potential market size here? is it enough to break even?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>How will you deal with the license issue? >>

You beat me to that one!

I think the appeal will be limited.
    Non-collectors wouldn't know what it was all about.
    JMHO.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You beat me to that one!

>>

By over 4 years! image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

They don't let it go cheap unless there's a not-for-profit organization involved (for example, "school"-opolies).
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

<< <i>I'd agree that the market is saturated (Catopoly, Make-Your-Own-opoly, State Universityopolies) >>

Anyone want to buy a still-wrapped "Dot-com Monopoly"?
  • Options
    Great idea but 20 yrs too late. Nobody plays board games anymore. Times have changed.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really love monopoly, but honestly there are so many different one-offs of this game that it feels the market is saturated. >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great idea but 20 yrs too late. Nobody plays board games anymore. Times have changed. >>

The Longacres love to play a mean game of Ticket to Ride.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Boardwalk and Park Place should be either of these: 1933 Double Eagle, 1913 Liberty Nickel, 1804 Silver Dollar, 1792 Half Disme, etc.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    should be 1933 saint and the government
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options

<< <i>Nobody plays board games anymore. Times have changed. >>

Have they?

Board Game Geek
  • Options

<< <i>The Longacres love to play a mean game of Ticket to Ride. >>

Have you played the card game version? It's a real quick play, maybe 1/2 an hour, and you don't have all the bits to put away.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

They don't let it go cheap unless there's a not-for-profit organization involved (for example, "school"-opolies). >>

Actually because of a trademark/patent issue that Parker Brothers experienced during a period of time they were owned by Tonka, the "opoly" in Monopoly is not trademarked. Therefore any person, school, or other entity can combine any word with "opoly" without facing copyright or trademark lawsuits.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file