Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you could only own one coin for the rest of your life, what would it be, pictures welcomed!

Let's ignore the other post, there are a lot of opinions about it. Now this hypothetical ?. Let's say you could only own 1 coin for the rest of your life. You could not sell it, so monetary value is not a factor. What coin would it be?
Nick

Comments

• Options
    i would vote for Julian's icon, the $20 Indian pattern. I love the obverse of the $10 Indian. Combined with the beauty of the reverse of the St. Gauden's $20, wow, what a coin!
    Nick
  • Options
    Ultra High Relief - If they were already gone, then I'd "settle" for a Coiled Hair Stella image
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    No photo for me

1941 S walker in 68 !
  • Options

<< <i>No photo for me

1941 S walker in 68 ! >>

thats a nice choice. toned or white?
    Nick
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭

chabot510

Friday September 09, 2005 12:25 AM (NEW!)

i would vote for Julian's icon, the $20 Indian pattern. I love the obverse of the $10 Indian. Combined with the beauty of the reverse of the St. Gauden's $20, wow, what a coin!

• Options

<< <i>Toss up for me.

Either the highest graded blast white well struck 1921 Peace

or

The craziest deep cameo high grade trade dollar with thick frost >>

Pinnacle had an amazing Trade $ on their site a few months ago. Only a PF 65*. The toning was unbelievable. IMO
    Nick
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

what a coin!
    Nick
  • Options
    I'd go for a 30% full date (any date) off center Franklin half.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Panama Pacific expo (wait for it...) *quarter* pattern. Anyone got a picture of that? It's cool looking... *searches*
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ultra high relief saint gaudens double eagle.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1804 Proof Dollar?? SaintGuru paying for it of course!! image

Edit: 1084 dollar. image
  • Options
  • Options
    You know what, instead of just picking some ultra-rarity that anyone with enough money could buy, I think I would pick a coin from my collection that I worked really hard to find. Maybe my 1963 cent. It would have more meaning to me.
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>You know what, instead of just picking some ultra-rarity that anyone with enough money could buy, I think I would pick a coin from my collection that I worked really hard to find. Maybe my 1963 cent. It would have more meaning to me.
    imageimage >>

Geez!! The Holy Grail in Memorials!!! image
  • Options
    This will do it for me

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Would have to be one that my wife gave me, or the rest of my life may be short.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Norweb 1838-O Half Dollar
  • Options
    I'm with Newmismatist in thinking an Ultra High Relief Saint is the one to have. The Kellog $50 gold coin or some deep cameo proof gold or, hmmm..... let me think about this one a bit longer. image
  • Options
    A Pine Tree Shilling.

I read about one in a Hardy Boy's book, The Melted Coins, and after reading about it I thought coin collecting sounded fun. So it was that book and a pine tree shilling that got me interested in collecting coins. So if i could only own one coin that would be the one I would want.
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    A m.s. 67 1901 S quarter, by all rights such a coin should be mine. My precious !!!

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    The last one I purchased.

imageimage
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    Either the 1886O Wayne Miller MS67DMPL Morgan $1, or the unique Brasher $15 piece--I'd be happy with either.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    It would be the Panama Pacific Expo set; 2 of ea. coins mounted in the frameimage
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good call, RKKay.

That would be way up there. But for me, it would probably be one of the following two from the dawn of coinage. They're the reason we're here, folks. If they don't butter your toast, something's wrong with your toaster.

Miletos electrum stater, 600-550 BC, David Sear, Greek Coins, Vol. 2, # 3439. ($10k)

Or...

Lydian electrum Trite. circa 610 BC. “Walwet”. Lion head r., “WALWET” in Lydian script before. Rv: Double incuse punch. Weid.109 ($5k)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I'd love one of those big chunky Pan-Pac octagonal gold pieces. Honestly, it has nothing to do with the value, or gold content, just the design. I love that friggin' owl. There's a Platinum issue coming out in a couple years with an owl and eagle side by side on a branch. I would sell my left arm to get one. I don't care what it'll cost.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be soooo torn, as I have about 10 favorites!!

I'm VERY certain that I'd NEVER be able to replace this one, especially at the price I paid.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

High grade UHR Saint for me as well.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

No photo for me. TDN once owned an 1814 Plain 4 Classic Large Cent in PC 4 BN in an OGH. It's one of probably ten coins I've seen in my life that sang to me that I could actually afford to purchase when I first saw it.

Excellent strike, even glistening chocolate brown toning on obverse and reverse. A noticeable, but not obnoxious hit around 9:00 in the obverse field was the coin's only distraction.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised no one picked the 1849 Liberty double eagle. It's unique and the first one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love a Disme or Half-Disme minted from the silver that Jefferson carried to the mint in his person, referenced in that story I read somewhere.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wanted an 1804 Draped bust dollar, too. ;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

$4 STELLA

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RockyMtnProspector said:
    An octagonal $50 Pan Pac in gem, like this one:

Me too.
    Except a gem is not necessary; the closest version of reality that my dream gets is MS62.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Cal 2.5 gold. Love the history of that coin!!
    Someday 😀

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

THE 1794 dollar.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DennisH said:

@RockyMtnProspector said:
    An octagonal $50 Pan Pac in gem, like this one:

Me too.
    Except a gem is not necessary; the closest version of reality that my dream gets is MS62.

This is a fantasy topic for most of us. Love that coin but go for at least an MS-69 "finest known" with a gold CAC!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would revisit my collecting roots and go with Blay's 1919 Lincoln in MS69.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 6:31PM

Territorial $50 Octagon, not fussy which type just a nice one.
    When this post was started I had been a Parole Officer for only 5 years, retirement would have seemed like an eternity. Now I'm retired.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were one I already owned, it would by my 1909D $5 Indian....If it were one I would like to own, it would be the octagonal PanPac Gold....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

Brasher Doubloon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file