Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade opinions on this Gold $1

1849-D - Not mine...but I am interested.

image

Thanks image

Comments

  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are hard for me to grade. Crusty AU-50. I like the look.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the pic but it looks a like high end XF or AU. Looks original and a nice addition to your collection.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Easily AU-55.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The image is a tough one from which to grade. I think I see luster around "United States" but I can't fully make out everything about the surfaces.

    Off the top of my head, from what I can see, perhaps EF-45. But I would not pay EF-45 money based on this picture. I just can't see enough to commit that kind of money.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Looks XF40 to me. I do not care for the coin. Sorry.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta D mintmark, and it didn't come from Colorado... So I like it.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    XF40. I like it.
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207 ✭
    Thanks for your opinions guys image I also say around XF-40 to XF-45. Unfortunately, it is in a NGC 55 holder image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF45. Nice original coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,959 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Thanks for your opinions guys image I also say around XF-40 to XF-45. Unfortunately, it is in a NGC 55 holder image >>



    Not surprising. A great many C and D mint coins are overgraded in their holders. If I could see the coin in person I might see an AU-50, but not more. I'd have see how much of the flatness in the curls is due to strike.

    AND PS - there are not a lot of D mint coins around that you will like. Many of them were not well made, and almost all were not lovingly preserved, at least not in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

    Here's the representative piece from my collection. It's in a PCGS AU-58 holder.

    imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to remember, the 1849-D Type I gold dollars were among the worst struck from the Dahlonega mint.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Do I win the coin as a prize? I think I have this TPG overgrading thing down pat.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,959 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>You have to remember, the 1849-D Type I gold dollars were among the worst struck from the Dahlonega mint. >>



    Which is why I'd have to see it in person to judge the flatness of the curls on the obverse. Is it all wear, or is it part wear and part strike. Only a personal review of the coin can determine that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, BJ. I was using the radial lines of the stars to help me, but nothing compares to looking in person. I do not think that any current professional grading service would call that coin XF.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    When I saw it was a "D", I immediately inflated my initial impression. Had I known it was an NGC coin, I would have said AU-58.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think that they could call that coin EF. I could call that coin EF.

    It all depends upon amount and originality of the luster in the fields. You can't grade coins like this by sharpness alone. That's not say that a better struck example in the same grade might be worth more.

    Confused? That's how it is with 19th century material where strke can be as important as wear.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977 ✭
    Looks like variety 1-A, the first of the gold dollars minted at Dahlonega. But I would need to see a larger reverse to be sure. The 1-A was poorly produced so the tendency is to undergrade it. In fact, US Mint Director Patterson sent a message to Dahlonega that his samples were unacceptable. But Dahlonega had already remedied the situation with a new die pair, which resulted in variety 1-B.

    Looks like a nice original AU50 to me. As for what the grading companies will / or have graded it, I don't have a clue. They are all over the place with D mint gold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file