Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Who does this buyer think he is?

Check this out. I listed a PSA graded card on eBay last week with a Buy it Now of $47.99 and a $3 shipping/handling charge. Next day it sells. I invoice the buyer within hours of the purchase, a week goes by with no response. Then today a small padded mailer arrives in my mail addressed to me with the words, “open gently you will be reusing this envelope”, written on both the front and back. I open the thing up and find a note inside that reads;

Hi (My User name),

Enclosed please find a check in the amount of $47.99 for the psa graded baseball card (ebay item#522.….) that I won from you on ebay Monday august 8.

I have enclosed my check in a bubble mailer that you will re-use to return the card to me in: simply (but carefully) peel off your ship-to address label and my ship-to address will be underneath. You will also find enclosed exact postage (one .60 cent stamp) to return the card to me in the mailer I have provided; however, do not add anything extra to the mailer, (ie extra bubble wrap, cardboard pieces, etc)--enclose the card only. Also, please leave my return address on the mailer to ensure that I will receive it in the rare event that there is any problem. Please email me to confirm receipt of this mailer and payment and let me know when you’re shipping the card.
Thanks again!
Yours truly,
Some idiot

How should I respond to this?
A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989

Comments

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Time to block him from future auctions.
  • You should call him collect to clarify the matter.
  • Just tell him that a SASE was not one of the shipping options, but be prepared for feedback extortion............
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>You should call him collect to clarify the matter. >>

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Just checked his feedback. He's negged a seller once already for not accepting his SASE.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If it was a good transaction for you I would simply do as he says.

I would not leave feedback though.

SD
    Good for you.
  • I'd be tempted to send it to him in a refrigerator box. It would be worth the expense.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Once in a while you're going to run into
    a cheapskate buyer who is going to try and nickle and dime you.

I'd just do as he asks
    but include a polite note saying that if he isn't going to follow your terms of sale
    then please don't bid on any of your future auctions.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

<< <i>but include a polite note saying that if he isn't going to follow your terms of sale
    then please don't bid on any of your future auctions. >>

I would advise if you are going to do as he asks to not say this. If you comply with him do not do anything that may lead to a neg. If you decide to fight, go hard. File a non paying bidder or something, but dont do something small that may get you the neg anyway.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

what a dumbass.. definitely block him from bidding on any future auctions.. it's not the fact that he wants you to use a SASE that irritates me, but his presumptuous(sp?) attitude of giving out demands.. screw him..

i'd probably do what he wants just to get it over with.. i'd probably also include a note that tells him SASE was not part of his original CONTRACT..

please tell us his username, i wanna block his ass from my auctions too.. if you dont wanna post it here, PM me..
    ·p_A·

<< <i>I'd just do as he asks >>

<< <i>but include a polite note saying that if he isn't going to follow your terms of sale then please don't bid on any of your future auctions. >>

I guess thats the way to go. $2 is not worth the negative. Though I think I will block him from myl future auctions anyway.image
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Send him the bubble mailer, with his payment in it back to him (no card) with a note saying "Sorry, but I did not receive your payment in the amount of -----. Please resend payment. You may use the same bubble mailer if you like."

Guys like this are negs waiting to happen. Either to you or someone else. If you have good feedback, I'd risk the neg just to teach him a lesson. File a non-paying bidder alert with ebay.

Although, I am not the one that might get the neg, so its hard to be completely objective
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • This buyer needs to realize that listing and selling on ebay cost money, thus the "handling" end of S&H. I am guessing your listing fees, final value fees, and postage were around $3? I would be very tempted to not ship the item without the $3. Of course he'd neg you. What a jerk.

Damian

<< <i>Send him the bubble mailer, with his payment in it back to him (no card) with a note saying "Sorry, but I did not receive your payment in the amount of -----. Please resend payment. You may use the same bubble mailer if you like."
    >>

best idea yet..
    ·p_A·

<< <i>best idea yet.. >>

I agree, you could also say how his postage will not cover the cost as you always add delivery confermation as that is your only protect6ion as a seller.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • I also would be tempted to give the holder a good thrashing before shipping. Blame on the PO and HIS shipping method. I wouldn't really, but it crossed my mind. Maybe the USPS will do you a favor in this aspect. You could also just ignore him, send it in much safer fashion, insure it for $50, and ship priority. Enclose a nice note stating that the $3 he didn't pay HELP cover the extra care for his satisfaction. Maybe he would take a look in the mirror.

Damian
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Maybe I am in the minority...but I dont care about shipping. I don't want to make money on shipping and as long as I don't lose money it makes absolutely no difference to me whatsoever. I probably would've considered his offer a blessing because it would have saved me a trip to the post office. I think what the buyer did in this case could be construed as petty...but making a huge deal out of it is equally petty. There's no way I am blocking someone from my auctions that pays their bid and doesn't cost me anything in postage.

Regards,

Alan

i am, i already blocked him.. i dont need some joe schmoe like him handing out demands to me..
    ·p_A·
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Just ship the card and move on. It's not worthy of a thread, much less even thinking twice about.

regards
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    If you haven't contacted him yet, you do have the option to say you never got his mail/check. I'd pretend it got lost in the mail and send him another invoice (with the $50.99 total) in a few days. He'll then have the option to send another bubble mailer with shipping x 2. You may end up in the same boat next week, but it would make me feel a little better.

I'd probably lose it again if it showed up the same way the second time, but it may turn out ok if you send it. Just hope the PO doesn't lose it or the neg will come your way.

Option 2: I send you a sticker with my address on it and put it over his. Tell him you sent it, but send it to me. image
  • Thanks I just blocked him too.

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!

<< <i>Just ship the card and move on. It's not worthy of a thread, much less even thinking twice about.

regards
    John >>

dont post to this thread, move on to the next one.. crawl back in your hole, you're not wanted.

Sincerely,
    P. Andrews
    ·p_A·

Perry you kill me.

<< <i> am, i already blocked him.. i dont need some joe schmoe like him handing out demands to me.. >>

I blocked hi already too!

<< <i>dont post to this thread, move on to the next one.. crawl back in your hole, you're not wanted. >>

Agreed. Ahman I don't think anyone here should be telling others what not to post about unless it is of highly offensive nature.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I would make like you never received payment and invoice him again. He may need to spend $25.00 to put a stop payment on the check. If you get the second check, process it like he asks and wait for him to leave feedback first....then let his first check blow in the wind. Maybe someone will try to cash it and cause him all kinds of headaches.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • I've had this nickel-diming SOB blocked for years -- based on recommendations from numerous dealers that have had the "pleasure" of dealing with him. I've been told that his name is .... and that he's from Boston.

By the way, he is a member of this message board. His user name is greenmonstaaaah.

Link
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    He may need to spend $25.00 to put a stop payment on the check.

Perhaps, but that guy sounds as if he would then cry to the manager of the bank and get the fee waived.

In any event that would be a beotch.

By the way, he is a member of this message board. His user name is greenmonstaaaah.

I would not do anything rash.

SD

Good for you.

evidently, GREENMONSTAAAAAHHHH is a world class idiot..

heh..

<< <i>--i'm just hoping to be able to walk out of there with some good deals and not just come in contact with dealers of vintage who want smr (or over smr) for their cards (ie the 707 sportscards of the world) >>

cheapskate..
    ·p_A·
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Which is why I specifically state that I don't accept checks and SASE in my listings.

A refrigerator box. Now that's funny.
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I would pretend that I received nothing. Shred the check. That way he will know why sellers pay for delivery confirmation. I do not send ANY auction items without at least confirmation.
    When he sends another BS envelope/instruction manual, cash the check and send the card to el cheapo. The extra work for him would make it worth while for me to go along with his petty shenanigans. However, never ever send an auction item without a delivery confirmation. Especially with a rectum like you are dealing with.

Thank you for this thread. I can now block this dolt.

- Jim
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection

I knew I remembered seeing the members name.

He asked about the pop report the other day. Maybe someone has some advice for him now.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just ship the card and move on. It's not worthy of a thread, much less even thinking twice about.

regards
    John >>

Ahman
    You're my hero...I'm practically not worthy of responding...much less thinking twice about it.

regards
    mike
    Mike
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    While this is a completely ridiculous request, I don't think it's 100% unreasonable. He's making a statement more than anything- he's tired of being overcharged for shipping, as are we all. acowa is right though- as sellers, we don't have a right to intentionally make money on shipping, and we are not allowed to charge for "handling" according to ebay rules. I can see where he's coming from, but he's just going about it wrong and inconveniencing everyone that sells to him. I mean for god's sake, at least put another SAS'd bubble mailer inside- reusing the same bubble mailer is completely retarded. How can someone this cheap "waste" money on pieces of cardboard? These are the same people that ask for extra rolls in a restaurant and take them home in a doggy bag.

Lee

<< <i>I also would be tempted to give the holder a good thrashing before shipping >>

The thought had occurred.

<< <i>...but I dont care about shipping. I don't want to make money on shipping and as long as I don't lose money it makes absolutely no difference to me whatsoever. I probably would've considered his offer a blessing because it would have saved me a trip to the post office. I think what the buyer did in this case could be construed as petty...but making a huge deal out of it is equally petty. There's no way I am blocking someone from my auctions that pays their bid and doesn't cost me anything in postage. >>

This is not about making money on shipping. $3 is not unreasonable for taking the time to securely pack and ship a card. I am always willing to work to with a buyer if there is an issue I just don't like being dictated to.

<< <i>I don't think it's 100% unreasonable. He's making a statement more than anything- he's tired of being overcharged for shipping, as are we all. >>

he shouldnt have bid.

<< <i>as sellers, we don't have a right to intentionally make money on shipping, and we are not allowed to charge for "handling" according to ebay rules. >>

really? source?
    ·p_A·
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I also would be tempted to give the holder a good thrashing before shipping >>

The thought had occurred.

<< <i>...but I dont care about shipping. I don't want to make money on shipping and as long as I don't lose money it makes absolutely no difference to me whatsoever. I probably would've considered his offer a blessing because it would have saved me a trip to the post office. I think what the buyer did in this case could be construed as petty...but making a huge deal out of it is equally petty. There's no way I am blocking someone from my auctions that pays their bid and doesn't cost me anything in postage. >>

This is not about making money on shipping. $3 is not unreasonable for taking the time to securely pack and ship a card. I am always willing to work to with a buyer if there is an issue I just don't like being dictated to. >>

I agree with you AF - since I assume you have explicit instruction about your shipping and handling.

But, this is one that is best handled like people have suggested - ship it - "block him" - and have a beer.

Truth be told - I have some people "dictating" to me everyday in my office and it drives me crazy sometimes.

My philosophy: bend don't break. In this instance, you are bending to the max but not broken since you will block him forever if you choose.

mike
    Mike

i still hope the guy sees this thread so he'll realize what an ass he is..
    ·p_A·

• << <i>While this is a completely ridiculous request, I don't think it's 100% unreasonable. He's making a statement more than anything- he's tired of being overcharged for shipping, as are we all. acowa is right though- as sellers, we don't have a right to intentionally make money on shipping, and we are not allowed to charge for "handling" according to ebay rules. I can see where he's coming from, but he's just going about it wrong and inconveniencing everyone that sells to him. I mean for god's sake, at least put another SAS'd bubble mailer inside- reusing the same bubble mailer is completely retarded. How can someone this cheap "waste" money on pieces of cardboard? These are the same people that ask for extra rolls in a restaurant and take them home in a doggy bag.

Lee >>

Now where do you get that "we are not allowed to charge for "handling" according to ebay rules".

out of this?

eBay encourages sellers to clearly describe the item and terms of shipping and delivery in their listings to avoid possible confusion.

A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. However, shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring reasonable shipping charges that may also include handling fees.

In the case of disagreements between buyers and sellers regarding shipping charges, eBay encourages the parties to try to work the matter out.

Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
    Sorry, I should have directed my "handling"statement at studentT206 who posted that it includes ebay listing and final value fees, which sellers are in fact not allowed to charge the high bidder. That is why I put handling in quotes. My post was directed at him and I should have stated that. My bad yo. My bad.

Lee
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    You think he sent a SASE with a 60-cent stamp when he won a DSL auction? No.
    Send him the card raw out of the case. When he inevitably complains that his card arrived creased and banged up, tell him you had it in a thick screwdown, but the 60 cents didnt cover shipping because of the wieght, so you took the card out of the case to stay within the shipping he paid for. Then when he inevitably says it would be common sense to put it in a top loader, tell him it would be common sense to follow the rules stated in the auction and not to reuse bubble mailers. Check mate.

Lee

• << <i>Edited: Wednesday August 17, 2005 at 9:54 PM by athleticsfan >>

I guess athleticsfan deleted his post. Here is the info that was posted.

auction link

feedback left by the bidder (denimdave)
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The guy definitely needs to be blocked from many auctions.

This guy needs to learn that paying $3 isn't just for the postage, it's for everything involved for getting it to him, and it includes time spend in packaging, in dropping off, in costs associated with packing, all of that.

And like was mentioned earlier, I'd love to see him pull this crap with a big time seller like DSL or 4SC.

If it was me I'd cut up his check, burn his bubble mailer, and mail it all back to him. Would be worth the negative to show this guy he can't dictate terms. If he didn't want to pay the $3 for shipping, he shouldn't have bid.

• acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <<$3 is not unreasonable for taking the time to securely pack and ship a card. >>

$3 is very fair. Keep in mind however that this guy isn't asking you to take the time to securely package the the card. He's asking you to throw it in his return envelope and drop it in your mailbox.

It costs $20 to get an unreasonable negative feedback off of your EBAY record and less than three dollars to get a problem started. My advice is merely to choose your battles wisely. I would add a statement in my future auctions letting people know that the shipping policy is non negotiable if you feel really strongly about it.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Alan
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I to am in the minority, I think just send him the card and move on, you still have your sale. Ifyou don't like the way he handled it , which I don't , block him but for this auction it is not worth the headache and you will end up losing the sale and spending more money on relisted fees and such.

I sell stuff with buy it nows , shipping weight is 16 pounds and I charge $18 by ups. I have used the same canned listing for 3 years . last week a guy with 150 feedback from Hawaii hits the buy it now immediately and tells me he refuses to pay extra to ship to Hawaii. I have sold to Hawaii in the pastand common sense tells the buyer to check on shipping before hand If you have 150 feedback for similar items ,you know it costs more than $18 to hawaii but he was trying to beat the system , we worked it out and split the differnce, I could have ended the sale but i was still making money so it was worth it to complete. I changed my listings so it doesn't happen again and forgot about it. Point is , that if you want the sale , do what I did and just send the cheapskate his card then add a quick blurb in your listings about no SASE. if you don't want the sale , send it back and just end the transaction.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I would give that note to my nephew who has plenty of time on his hands and him e-mail every person that he makes a bid on as to what kind of stunt he pulled. Or simply don't cash the check and claim you never received it. Now he would have to spend $10-$15 to put a stop payment on the check and have to spend another $1.20 in postage.image

<< <i>t costs $20 to get an unreasonable negative feedback off of your EBAY record >>

How do you do this? I have 2 that are unreasonable from the same seller and I would like to go about this.

edit for spelling
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

• Do a Stone mail test on him.

Put his stamp and label on the case and ship it. Better yet write his address on the case with a Sharpie. Send his bubble mailer back separately with a note stating that you saved him money and a bubble mailer. Put 2 cents in the mailer.

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    He's on my banned list now. The seller states the terms of sale, by bidding the buyer accepts those terms. AthleticsFan's shipping charges were more than fair.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's