Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1828 Half Dollar – Opinions Please, Guess the Grade

How do you like this 1828 half dollar that I recently picked up? Your thoughts, grades, impressions, etc are appreciated and welcome whether good or bad. Can you tell “which” 1828 half dollar this is? Thanks! imagematteproof

Remember Lots Wife

Comments

• Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Hmm Dont know much about the series, but I would guess high 58..maybe 62...if the luster is there.

Has some cool diagnostics though...image
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    58 and I'm too lazy right now to attribute image
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Looks like O-117 R1 1828 square base 2, small 8's. If this is correct the serif of C in 50 C. is recut.

I like this coin and feel it is at least PCGS AU 58. The obverse fields look to have disturbed luster so I doubt it is in MS holder but I see no rub.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a very desirable and well struck 1828 with some luster remaining! IMNO, it is an AU 55 and is the "Square base 2, Small 8, Large Letteres" variety -- don't have the overton book, yet.

I would take that coin in a second. Thanks for sharing...Mike

Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    for coin that was "picked Up" It sure is in GREAT shape!!

AU55.........

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Great Coin. I'm with everyone else: 55 - 60 range, could go 62 but pushing the envelope.
  • Options
    SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Nice coin.

I'll second the vote, O-117. The upper portion of the C looks doubled to me.
    Bill
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to be the skunk at the party on this one.

Does anyone think that a 177 year old coin can be naturally white after all these years? What happens to your wife's silverware after it's sat in the silverware box for a year or so?

The coin has virtually full Mint State shaprness and is well struck, BUT it's been cleaned to make it a pasty white if what is showing up on the scan is how the coin really looks.

Old time grading, AU-50, which is net of AU-58 sharpness, less cleaning. "New time" grading in the slab AU-55.

Don't get me wrong. It's a decent piece, but if I am looking for an "original coin," this is not it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what to say on this but to echo the comments of others. I don't see any wear on it, but the luster appears washed out, indicating cleaning at least once in the past. Given this, I don't know what kind of grade it would garner: either 63 (due to a lack of distracting marks), or 55/58. I'll lean toward AU-58.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    AU55. As to the comments I pretty much agree with all of Bill Jones' comments.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Thank you all for your excellent thoughts and input. I recently bought this coin raw figuring it would go au58. As Bill Jones correctly stated, coins this old can’t possibly have such tone. Yet, I knew it would grade because it retains nice original luster (not readily seen in the photo) and is well struck too. Important for me was that the coin is virtually free of characteristic “hairlines” and other such remnants. I sent it to pcgs and they graded it au55. All of you graded this coin perfectly in the zone – you guys are really excellent graders, you could work in the pcgs grading room any day. image Mozin and MikeInFl were right on in that this coin is “Sq 2, small 8, large letters.” Thanks again everyone for your excellent input. imagematteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    777777 Posts: 1,056
    Shes a beautyimage
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I have to agree with Bill Jones- it has nice detail, but looks very unnatural and cleaned to me....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll kinda go against the grain on this one as usual.image I do indeed see a bit of rub and most likely wear in the obverse fields.
    And my first gut feeling was 55.

I'm just wondering if this was toned and the rub showed up more as lighter areas, if the ones feeling it is mint-state (or mint state details) would be saying Au?
    I'm mentioning this because when we see a toned Bust half and sometimes there will be just the most minute lighter
    areas on the high points most will say AU. Here we have a Casper looking Bust halfimage to where it doesn't show as much.
    Just an observation folks.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    marzmarz Posts: 1,601
    some cleaning is tolerable.even to PCGS!

I guess AU-58 as well ??

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    though a technical AU a market grade might bump it to the low 60s
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    can't see digi-pic

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file