Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Armour Coin discussion

Comments

• Thanks for hopping on the armour coin thread! Never realized that meat products were so hot at that time! Yeh I too would be quite interested in the history of these coins. Hopefully you can dig some stuff up! I wonder if armour outsourced the manufacturing of these coins to another company and had them ship it to armour to insert into the packages?
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • mj23kg21mj23kg21 Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Always looking to buy old Minnesota Twins and Vikings memorabilia like Nodders, Photo Pennants, and Photo Buttons.
    I noticed this thread and had to comment. I am a long time reader of the boards but have never posted before. Sorry for the screw-up above. I remember doing an antique show many years ago in Omaha, Nebraska and a guy brought in a huge collection of armour coins - over 3000 of them. They were all 1959's. His father had worked for Armour and use to bring home stacks of them each day for his kids to play with. I remember him having over 75 complete sets and at least 100 extra Hank Aaron's. I sure wish I would have purchased them from him. He gave me one set along with some extra Hank Aaron's. I sold the set (wish I woudn't have) but kept a few of the Hank Aaron's which I still have. Anyway, I know there are a lot of 1959's out there somewhere.
    Always looking to buy old Minnesota Twins and Vikings memorabilia like Nodders, Photo Pennants, and Photo Buttons.
  • mj

what color are your aarons ?? look art the 59 color photo in this thread to compare. I'm always looking for unusual colors.

I looked at the Aaron's that I have. All of them are either blue or red. I do have an orange of Whitey Ford, about 8 different guys in green, and quite a few more guys in either blue or red. So I don't think I have any difficult colors of Aaron. I only have around 20 coins in total left.

• Hey armourphil-

Finally updated my psa registry with all new pics(scanned the older ones with a lower res so the pic fits on the desktop). With the ones where I have two different colors of the same coin in the same grade, I scanned both. Enjoy.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • donnster,

great way to show both colors up there. I think I'll pick up on that for my 55 set.
    thanks,
  • the 59 Armour set was just included on the registry and Iv'e loaded part of my 59 set. I've called it "the summer of 59 in Hells Kitchen". This was a tough neighborhood that I grew up in, but stickball, Yoo Hoo's and the great 59 bright red Mickey Mantle card made up for it. Ate a lot of "Armour dinner franks" in 59 to try to complete my collection, but that did not happen till many years later when EBay allowed me to fill in the holes. Here's to the summer of 59 !
  • Ah cool the 59 set posted. THanks for the update! I can submit my whole 2 coins up there now! IC that you changed all your set names. At first I was all did armourguy sell all his sets! Then I read the description and all and now understand the meaning of it all! Did you see that coin on ebay with the two colors? I think it was blue and green. kinda neat. Havent seen any of those before.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Armourguy, it looks like a good time to send in those 1959/1955 armour coin commons. Only 6 bucks this month!!!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • donnster

did some updating of 59 and 60 sets the past few days. Your 60 set is still safe. I have finished the 55 set but there are a few cert #s screwed up so I cannot list till Cosetta fixes them for me. Some of the really rare coins are coming back 7's and 8's so I will be using your color trick to get all the pics up and let the easier colors serve as my "official" coins. I loaded a bunch of pics of my mustard yellow 60"s Do you have any of those ? They only exist for the yellow, red/orange group . I have the Mays and Ford. I've never seen a Drysdale or Colivito so I think they will be the next most difficult to get. I have seen only 1 Daley in mustard yellow in the pst 7 years.
  • Hey armourphil-

Sorry haven't been able to respond for awhile. I was travelling on business to Spain for the past week.(neat place to visit). I will have to check my yellows but I don't think I have any mustard yellow coins. I see you made quite big strides in completing all of your setsimage Dang thats an impressive 55 set @100%! Hopefully I will send a few 59 coins for the 50s special this month and get my set registered. so are you going to send in any of your daley coins to get graded? I hope one day to get one of those!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • oh btw, good luck with some of those master player sets you are starting up! Man some of those master sets have so many items in them that it will set you back quite a bit to put a dent in it. Good luck! I've always wanted to get me a Nolan Ryan rookie card. I still remember that image of him pummelling Robin Ventura when the guy charged the mound!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • sent in a 60 Daley this week along with a couple of complete rim MAntles. We will see what comes back.
  • Just finally getting around to getting some of my collection graded (and other stuff sold off) . Do not intend on getting the Ryan master complete or the 62 topps, just organizing things. Would like to get most of the MAntle done however, he was one of my fathers favorite players along with Ruth, Dimaggio, Berra, Ford, Gehrig ect. WOW did he ever live through and see some great baseball !
  • i see that there are two daley's graded now...a psa 8 was graded...maybe it was someone elses. I hadn't checked the pop report in awhile until today. So now a 9 and an 8 exist. Maybe you can have the first 10? I sent in some 59s and 60s last week. The 59s were all commons that I submitted under the 50s special. When I get the 60s back I should have an almost complete set(minus the daley). Oh I think I did find a mustard yellow coin of kaline but it has a crack in it though. that looks like thats the only one I have in that color.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • armourphil-
    I think you mentioned before that you were tracking prices of the armour coins. I was wondering if you have logged how much the 1960 daleys have been going for in the past. I want to add this one coin to complete my collection and was wondering how much the previous ones sold for(i don't need any rare colored ones. Just one in pretty decent condition). Thanks.

Donny
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • donnster,

Daley over the past 2 yers has run 460 - 614$ . Ends up 3 coins have been sold.

My graded Daley came back a 9
    Mantle dk green, pale blue and lime green also came back as 9's. These all have full rims.
    I have never seen MAntle full back rims for red, red/oj, yellow, grey/blue, royal blue, navy blue.
    My Mantle Aqua which is every bit as good as the ones graded 9 came back a 7 (full rims) sometimes you just cannot tell.

ArmourPhil
  • Yeh I just got a batch of coins back and its odd. I thought some were pretty good(full rims, shot of getting a 10) came back as 8s. Go figure. Yeh I think there are quite a bit of grading inconsistencies. With a batch of 19, i had one 7, one 5, 3 9s, and the rest were 9s. They also mislabeled my malzone boston redsox as the redsox variety. Argh, now I have to send it back to them to get it fixed. Thanx for the info on daley and congrats on getting a 9 with yours!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have the e-mail address of the collector who has the #1 sets for 1955, 1959 and 1960 Armour? I would like to get in touch with him about a separate topic.

marc.schoenen@ge.com
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    ArmourGuy:

Didn't realize right away that you were ArmourPhil. Can you shoot me an e-mail please? Thanks-

marc.schoenen@ge.com
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • phil

whats going on?havent heard from you in awhile
    1960 mantle psa 8 yellow not a full rim
    wish psa would only give 7s and higher with full rims...havent bought anything new in awhile...looks like rare colors have disappeared
  • Larry,

Have now seen the Std catalog of BB cards 2006 and indeed Bob has inserted the 5 new 1955 variations that you and I and Doug came up with. I am still amazed that variations could be found 50 years later.

Note under the 1960 armour coins he also has addressed our pet peeve ~"..1960 coins are notorious for having incomplete back rims. This is especially true for MAntle. No coin having an incomplete back rim should be graded higher than a vg..."

The PSA graders have created a big mess by NOT adhering to this. There must be 100 graded MAntle coins out there with incomplete backs. I just bid on, and won, two '60 red/oj MAntle PSA 8's this past week. The sellers guaranteed me in advance that the backrims were complete. I doubt it, they will probably be going back. We will see ! I have also seen a Triandos with part of the back rim missing graded a 9 !!!

Donnster - how many '60's with incomplete back rims do you have graded 8 or 9 ??

ArmourPhil
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure which shade of blue this would be considered, but it has a complete back rim.

I've never been willing to buy one with an incomplete rim, even though I know PSA grades them high with or without the rim.

I think it is ridiculous that they do that.
  • please send those comments on to PSA, they need to hear it from more than me.
  • armourguy-

I have two mantles without complete rear rims that were graded psa 9s. I believe those were from the first batch that I sent to PSA awhile back when they first started grading the armour coins. I haven't sent them any coins with non-complete rims since then though...and have been lucky not to buy any graded coins without complete rims.

I have a general question for you folks. Not sure what you think about it. Some coins that I have, you can see on the back of the coin a partial indentation of the face of the player probably due to how they manufacture these coins. So looking at the back of the coin you see the stats but the surface isnt flat. Do you think coins like these should be graded lower due to this? Just curious.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Donnster,

I know what you mean about the indents. A lot of my 59's are that way. They are absolute mint excet for this indent which I assume was due to not enough plastic being forced into the mold. Unfortunately some of my rare colors are like that. I got them graded to see how they would grade them. They came back 8's which I guess I'm OK with as long as they are consistent.

The back rim thing, however, just makes me furious. The purpose abourt PSA is so you do not have to ask the seller about condition. When I continue to ask the sellers to check them, I just get back sarcastic answers or they tell me to just NOT bid on them.

saw your 59'sare up and your 60's updated. Congrats

Phil
  • Thanks phil. It looks like you will be king of the 55s and 59s and probably the 60s eventually(not sure if i will ever acquire my daley and all).

oh btw, if you wanna trade, I have an extra blasingame psa 9(common color i believe) that I can trade with you if you have any dups that I need in my registry.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Just listed some very nice items on the bay. Some highlights include:

1960 Armour Coins - Mays, Mantle
    1965 Old London - Mantle, have not listed yet Maris and Killebrew
    1962 Salada Junket Coins - Aaron, Clemente, Koufax, Berra, Killebrew, Maris, B. Robinson and more

I also have some 59 Armour coins which I have yet to list

My seller id is dave300800 and I have 100% feedback.

Thanks for looking
    Looking for '55 Topps Baseball in PSA 7/8.
    Looking for '51 Redbacks in PSA 9
    High Grade Vintage Lots - All Sports
  • complete armour set 55, 59, 60 including red/oj Daley is up on Mastronet. 68 coins in claimed nm-mt currently at 711$. A steal at this price, but I'm sure will go higher.

• wow thanks for the info on the auctions. i would be interested in that daley but man they charge quite a bit to just even register. oh well, hopefully one of those will hit ebay sooner or later. congrats on the top 55 and 59 sets! i am sure u will pass me up sooner or later on the 60s.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Since there's a lot of coin talk on here relating to these Armour's... perhaps someone here has some 1962 Shirriff baseball coins? I'm interested in any players, but especially Colavito and Cash. PM if you can help me. I have lots to offer in trade or will pay cash. Thanks, Josh
  • The 2006 Lemle Std CAtalog of BB CArds has now listed the new 1955 Armour variations that SFLAYank, Doug and I have discovered by comparing sets over the past few years. I have requested PSA add these to the 1955 registry set so the number of coins in this set will be going up shortly. Here is an interesting variation on the Randy Jackson coin " Infielder vs nfielder" on the reverse

ArmourPhil
  • For those with interest in armour coins....check out my article in Feb issue of SMR .....ArmourPhil
  • Haven't received the latest SMR yet but I am anxious to check it out. Oh btw, ic you won those two auctions for the lot of 1959 armour coins. Congrats!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • If any 59 armour collectors out there are looking for various color coins for their sets let me know. Got in 40 nice 59 coins recently . For my set I got a rare opaque dk green Cerv, a rare dark red Sievers, a pale yellow Blas and a pale yellow Sievers many of the rest are available. MAke contact at Philgarrou@att.net if you are interested.
  • I picked this 1960 ad in an ebay auction and scanned it in the other day...kind of a neat lil piece of advertisement(i had to scan it in two parts because the ad was too big for 8.5x11. enjoy

LINK
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Donnie,

Congrats on getting your Daley, and at a reasonable price. ! Now get that puppy graded.
  • haha thanks phil. I wasn't sure if I was going to win it but I'm happy with the price! I figure that I used all my proceeds from selling those PSA 8s and 9s to purchase Bud! I will let you know how it grades. Hopefully I will receive it sometime next week!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Donnie ,

any idea who this Larry guy is who dropped in the complete #1 1960 set?? Noticed he now has the #2 1959 set
    ( again from zero one day to complete the next) !!

• humm don't know who that larry guy is and it doesn't help that his email addy is hidden too. I'm wondering if this could have been a collector who had the whole set but never had it graded...or maybe it could have been someone who won the mastro collection and had them all graded? But then again I doubt there would be that many 10s in that lot bought off of mastro. We can only hope that he reads these message boards and decides to drop us a line!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • I guess we now know who larry is:

LINK

I wonder if they will try to put their 1960 set onsale too?
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • donnie,

my guess is that it will not sell with a start price at $2500. I certainly think it is worth that much, but probably has to go in a MAstro auction not on EBay. When is yourgraded Daley due back in? ......ArmourPhil
  • Haven't had time to send in mr. bud daley yet. Will hopefully have him out sometime this week. btw Phil, what is the real story on why bud daley is so scarce? I wonder how many of these exist in folks collections? I believe you have a few correct?
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Grades finally posted for my free 6 subs(renewed my membership)

1 9061xxxx 1959 ARMOUR COINS RICHIE ASHBURN N/A 9
    2 9061xxxx 1959 ARMOUR COINS HANK AARON N/A 9
    3 9061xxxx 1959 ARMOUR COINS FRANK ROBINSON N/A 8
    4 9061xxxx 1959 ARMOUR COINS NELLIE FOX N/A 9
    5 9061xxxx 1959 ARMOUR COINS BOB TURLEY N/A 9
    6 9061xxxx 1960 ARMOUR COINS BUD DALEY N/A 9

overall pretty happy. Man some of these 9s are better than some other peoples 10s on ebay...oh well i guess its hit or miss with the grader. I had a good feeling that the daley would be a 9 or 10. Very solid coin. oh well, i finally hit the 100% on my set!(hope u dont find any more variations on the 60s set or i will have to spend more money phil!)
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • There are more Armours listed up on the MAstro Auctions [ http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot Information&LotIndex=66519&CurrentRow=1] This complete 60 set (graded) is going for ~ $1500 . It does not appear to be any of the PSA registry sets. It has a PSA 9 red/oj Daley and a PSA 9 blue Mantle. No unusual colors except the Ford loks like a PSA 10 mustard yellow. I have one of those so now I know there are at least 2 of them.

Same auction has the one and only PSA 10 Daley up for auction. It is yellow and its currently at ~ $1350 all by itself

The guy who has been selling 1960 Armours "...fresh from the bucket..." appears to be real. Bought a yellow Mantle from him and it had complete back rim as advertised [ recall MAntles are he ones with incomplete rims in ~ 85% of the available coins]
  • Armour collectors:

1955 Mantle PSA 8 (correct) which in my opinion is just as rare as the 1960 Daley just went for $1007 !!! on EBay
    [ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=270065867946&rd=1&rd=1 ]

Morgan118, the seller, listed it as 1/1 which it was/is, but you must be careful on these. The are two variations of this coin [ with "L-R" on back or "L or R" on back). When I personally handed these variations in to Std Catalog of BB cards and then PSA there had already been 5 MAntle correct graded. Since they were not keeping track of these variations then, they had to guess which were already graded. They guessed L or R . They guessed WRONG.........In fact the common variation is L-R [ I have two of these ungraded and sflayank and 3546doug have at least 15 between them ] It appears the L or R is much harder to come by - we project at least 5 -1 from our sample size.

Thus while Mr. mpo48 who paid > 1000$ for this PSA 8 [ a heavy MAntle buyer] did indeed get a rare MAntle, he DID NOT get the ultra rare 1955 MAntle correct L or R . MESSAGE - beware of the PSA population report !
  • phil
    my l-r blue doesnt have a full rim but i was not paying 1000 for one