Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1846 D quarter eagle???

ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
I bought this coin from someone who had to sell. I got it for $325. Is it real and what would it grade? I know nothing about these coins so any help would be great. -Dan

PS I still cannot get a good picture under 50kb. Any help?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't see any red flags, aside from the fact that you got that coin for $325 and it's raw. If you get it slabbed as genuine from a reputable service, you got yourself one major league score.

Grade? I would say EF45 or so.

Man, if that is real, you...

...well, I'll be the first to say, "you suck"!!! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Send it in; cross your fingers.

However, I can't believe that anyone would sell an authentic Dahlonega mint gold coin that cheap.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    The guy found it in a cash register. He knows nothing about coins. He has to make rent tomorrow and I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $300. I gave him $325. I was not sure if it was a fake, so the most I felt like losing was $325. -Dan
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't blame you for gambling.

It's a crapshoot, but boy howdy, that'll be a helluva nice score if it slabs.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    That price is so good I would wonder if it is "warm". It looks real to me.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315

<< <i>The guy found it in a cash register. He knows nothing about coins. >>

Interesting..........

I once bought a gold necklace from a guy who had to make rent.........

a week later my neck turns green..image

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I tried to get as much of the background as possible without implying that it could be stolen. I did not get that vibe from the guy. Whether it is real or not will be determined when I send it in to be certified. -Dan
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a heck of a coin to find in a cash registerimage
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>The guy found it in a cash register. He knows nothing about coins. He has to make rent tomorrow and I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $300. I gave him $325. I was not sure if it was a fake, so the most I felt like losing was $325. -Dan >>

How can you just "find" something like that in the cash register. Something stinks here in this story. Who spends real gold coins? People out there think the Sac is made of gold and worth a fortune. What moron took it and left it in the register? Who takes a $2.50 coin and doesn't wonder about why he is being paid with it? I am sure you have all had somebody ask you about a coin and they tell you it is real old and worth something just to find out it is a slick, common date Morgan or something along those lines?

I am willing to bet it is fake. Just a real good fake. If you were to steal a coin like this would you spend it for face value?
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Wow. a find like this can raise your heart beat a few ticks.image

Obviously when you are offered a D mint coin for that price you have to immediately think one of two things, its either a fake, or it is too hot handle.

I can't be positive it is fake from the image but I am suspect. Here are some things to check for. The quarter eagle appears to be the 7K variety based upon the position of the mintmark. Check for a die crack between the second "S" in states and the "O" in of. This crack even shows in early die states. This variety is actually a "D / Near D" variety. Check for traces of a mintmark to the left of the actual mintmark. The serif of the trace "D" to the left is a diagnostic even in later die states. If these diagnostics are present it is a plus for you.

I am very concerned about the denticles on the reverse. Although commonly weak on this variety, the weakness is generally found from 4:00 to 7:00. Your image shows major distortion from 8:00-10:00 which is not consistent with the variety. There is something very odd going on there.

My gut instict tells me its a fake. If you can find the diagnostics mentioned above and the distortion in the denticles is a result of the image and not on the coin you may have won the lottery. If you can get it holdered by PCGS/NGC I suspect it may be worth up to 10 times what you paid. Good Luck.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The guy found it in a cash register. He knows nothing about coins. He has to make rent tomorrow and I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $300. I gave him $325. I was not sure if it was a fake, so the most I felt like losing was $325. -Dan >>

How can you just "find" something like that in the cash register. Something stinks here in this story. Who spends real gold coins? People out there think the Sac is made of gold and worth a fortune. What moron took it and left it in the register? Who takes a $2.50 coin and doesn't wonder about why he is being paid with it? I am sure you have all had somebody ask you about a coin and they tell you it is real old and worth something just to find out it is a slick, common date Morgan or something along those lines? I am willing to bet it is fake. Just a real good fake. If you were to steal a coin like this would you spend it for face value? >>

If it is fake I am out $325. As far as the story, that is what the guy told me. I do not think that any one of you would turn down a chance to buy a gold coin worth possibly as much as this for the price I paid. I guess I could have called the cops and told them this guy could be a thief and that I think he is trying to sell a fake coin, but how stupid would that be. I also, could have told the guy to take a hike, but it isn't everyday that a coin like this lands in my hands and I did not pass it up. Call me a fool. -Dan
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot say for sure from the pic, but the milling looks too broad, especially on the reverse around 9:00. I would wager fake.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. a find like this can raise your heart beat a few ticks.image Obviously when you are offered a D mint coin for that price you have to immediately think one of two things, its either a fake, or it is too hot handle. I can't be positive it is fake from the image but I am suspect. Here are some things to check for. The quarter eagle appears to be the 7K variety based upon the position of the mintmark. Check for a die crack between the second "S" in states and the "O" in of. This crack even shows in early die states. This variety is actually a "D / Near D" variety. Check for traces of a mintmark to the left of the actual mintmark. The serif of the trace "D" to the left is a diagnostic even in later die states. If these diagnostics are present it is a plus for you. I am very concerned about the denticles on the reverse. Although commonly weak on this variety, the weakness is generally found from 4:00 to 7:00. Your image shows major distortion from 8:00-10:00 which is not consistent with the variety. There is something very odd going on there. My gut instict tells me its a fake. If you can find the diagnostics mentioned above and the distortion in the denticles is a result of the image and not on the coin you may have won the lottery. If you can get it holdered by PCGS/NGC I suspect it may be worth up to 10 times what you paid. Good Luck. >>

It actually looks like there is a die crack between the s and o connecting them. There is also a die crack running from the eagles left wing into the e and r of America. I can not tell about the mint mark. -Dan
  • Options

<< <i>It actually looks like there is a die crack between the s and o connecting them. There is also a die crack running from the eagles left wing into the e and r of America. >>

That crack is another diagnostic of the 46-D qtr eagle reverse. This is starting to sound interesting. PM coming your way.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should the thing turn out real, I bet it also turns out better than XF45. Plenty of luster left on the obv.
    mirabela
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>If it is fake I am out $325. As far as the story, that is what the guy told me. I do not think that any one of you would turn down a chance to buy a gold coin worth possibly as much as this for the price I paid. I guess I could have called the cops and told them this guy could be a thief and that I think he is trying to sell a fake coin, but how stupid would that be. I also, could have told the guy to take a hike, but it isn't everyday that a coin like this lands in my hands and I did not pass it up. Call me a fool. -Dan >>

Dan, your tone sounds as if you might think people are picking on you. On the contrary, they are trying to be very helpful and there is nothing in it for them.

I hope I'm wrong but I'd guess the coin is not genuine (edited to add: or stolen).

(Edited to add: Even if it does turn out to be genuine, however) I wonder if there might have been other options available, such as making the purchase price (be it a higher or lower one) based, at least in part, upon the coin being certified as genuine by a major grading service.

The way the transaction was structured guaranteed that one party would end up getting screwed - not a good way to do business in my book.
  • Options
    I do not think that he would wait. He needed money today. If he had been a collector selling to another collector, I see your point. I did take a gamble and know that I did. I am a business man, I may lose on this one, but I will make it up in my contracting business. -Dan
  • Options
    I do not think that he would wait. He needed money today. If he had been a collector selling to another collector, I see your point. I did take a gamble and know that I did. I am a business man, I may lose on this one, but I will make it up in my contracting business. -Dan

I probably would have done the deal. It's like a 10:1 long shot; nothing ventured, nothing gained...so long as the coin is not stolen.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Dahlonega gold that heavily counterfeited? I've seen plenty of counterfeit gold but never one from a southern branch mint.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was real, the guy could have walked into any coin shop in the US and got $1000 or more from a dealer instantly. So why didn't he?

The cash register story was a total lie unless he was taking apart an antique 1800's cash register or something. I hope it's real and not stolen, but I think the odds are slim to none. My guess is that he bought it for its gold content (less than $100), and perhaps the previous owner had submitted it and knew it was a fake.
  • Options
    The cynic in me is also concerned that if it is indeed real, it might be stolen. That said, occasionally these coins get passed along as a legitimate family heirloom as single coins. The cash register story is certainly out of the ordinary.

PH, I have never seen a counterfeit Dahlonega coin, but there is a lot I have not seen.
  • Options
    I had the pleasure of meeting ormandh today and had the opportunity to check out the 46-D $2.5 in question. Dan and I talked coins for about an hour over coffee. As always, it is great to meet forum members and do a little "BS"ing about coins.

What struck me when I first saw the coin was the light yellow gold color (not the typical D-Mint coloring) which was instantly a red flag. However, upon checking with Winter's Dahlonega Book we found that this date can be found with light yellow gold coloring. The next issue to be resolved for me was denticle problem on the reverse from 6 - 9:00.
    I am still uncertain what is going on in that area but it most likely is nothing more than post mint damage. Based upon my observations, enough of the diagnostics were present for me to suggest he send it to ANACS. The reverse damage would result in being bagged at PCGS or NGC. I think he has a fair shot at this being authentic.

Good luck Dan!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update. This is interesting and keep us posted.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is unquestionably real. It looks like it will grade at least AU58.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    The next issue to be resolved for me was denticle problem on the reverse from 6 - 9:00.

Looks "as made" to me.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about this one though there are plenty of counterfeit C & D gold. Anyone remember the story of the "frozen" auction lots with the C's and D's rattling loose in the slabs? K
  • Options
    I don't know about this one though there are plenty of counterfeit C & D gold.

Nic - If you think it might be fake, I'll give you 5:1 odds against. Anything up to your $100 to my $500, as long as we make the bet by midnight, tonight. Post your response right here. I trust you to make good.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>The next issue to be resolved for me was denticle problem on the reverse from 6 - 9:00.

Looks "as made" to me. >>

Andy, I've seen the coin in hand and the area is pretty mangled. What could have caused such distortion during minting?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Anyone remember the story of the "frozen" auction lots with the C's and D's rattling loose in the slabs? K >>

I haven't heard about this one. Please tell us what happened. What brand slab were they in?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Andy, I've seen the coin in hand and the area is pretty mangled. What could have caused such distortion during minting?

Hard to say from the image. Perhaps slightly skewed dies or an irregular planchet?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    woo doggy. this thread is hot.

good luck dan!
  • Options
    A different 46-D:

Andy Lustig

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks genuine to me, but under the circumstances I be concerned that it was stolen. Why would this end up in a cash register? What you spend it as, cent or a dime? image

If it has been stolen, the law states that the authorities can take the coin from you and return it to the rightful owner. Your only recourse is against the person who sold to you, which isn’t worth much.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Why would this end up in a cash register?

It wouldn't. The coin looks real but the story seems fishy. Now if he had said that his grandfather left it to him it might be a little more believable. Coins like that DON'T end up in cash registers. If I were you, I'd keep an eye on "the guy" who needed to make rent. I'd be even more wary if he finds you a couple more "deals" in cash registers.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    John, Thank you very much for taking the time to meet and look at the coin. Hopefully, it will turn out to be the real deal.

BillJones, if it turns out to be stolen and the rightful owner can prove that it is his/hers, I will have no problem forfeiting the coin. I am sorry that I have caused you guys to distrust the way that the coin came to be, but what can I do? I am trying to remain patient with the comments on the integrity of how this coin was "found" , but DO NOT question my integrity. I would not knowingly buy a stolen coin. I am just curious how you would have handled the situation differently. Please answer honestly.

Poorguy, if he had told me that how does that prove that the coin is not stolen. If he had said that his grandfather had given it to him would that make it less likely to have been stolen? That really does not make sense. The only way to know for sure ANY coin is stolen is to have pics or good documentation on that certain coin. If any coin can be proven to be a possible stolen coin it would have to be this one. At only 19,000 minted and 100-200 known to exist, feel free to find one that was stolen that fits this description. I would like nothing better than to have a coin returned to its rightful owner if stolen. -Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Poorguy, if he had told me that how does that prove that the coin is not stolen. If he had said that his grandfather had given it to him would that make it less likely to have been stolen? That really does not make sense. >>

A more credible/believeable explanation for the manner in which the seller allegedly came into possession of the coin would not have proved the coin wasn't stolen. But, it would have at least made a number of us think it less likely to have been so.
  • Options
    Mark, I guess what I am trying to prove is no matter what he said, it does not make the coin less likely to have been stolen. If a coin has been stolen, it has been stolen no matter what an individual says as to how he/she aquired the coin. As unbelievable as it sounds, I seem to believe the guy. -Dan
  • Options
    Sounds fair to me Dan. Best of luck with it too.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

As dealers we face this stuff from time to time at coin shows. When I hear a "rooster and bull" (The "c" word brings out the censors on this site.) story like I found this $2.50 gold coin in a cash register, I tend to avoid the purchase. Yes, making money is great, but legal problems and losing your reputation are not. There have been a few coin dealers who have "gone up the river" for dealing in stolen property, and I don't want to join them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file