Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: If I found a Wisconsin extra-leaf quarter or speared bison nickel, I would...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Frankly, I don't even look at this stuff. But I'm glad some people do.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I collect coins for the design and history they incorporate - to me, these varieties are akin to watching racing for the crashes.
  • Options
    DrWhoDrWho Posts: 562 ✭✭
    sell it............immediately.

same with any that have:

3 eyes,
    pi$$ing,
    multiple peckers,
    low/high/level or mulitple horns,
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Sell it, only because they're selling for stupid money right now.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd trade the SB and keep the exra-leaf.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I may actually notice them if I happen to look, but if I found one it would be spending money...nothing more.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Save it for my collection, AFTER I get it slabbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    wait for the train!image
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    If I even spotted it (I stopped checking change quite a while ago), I'd sell it. No interest in keeping it, might as well pass it along and turn a buck or two.
  • Options
    Have any of these coins been found in circulation or have they only been found by roll searchers?
  • Options
    I would sell it ; but I have yet to get either coin in change (non error) here in New York.
  • Options
    If it was a high or low leaf I'd keep it for my collection. If I found two - I would keep the best of the two. If I had 150 of them, I would sell all but the highest grades.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd sell the whole mess and buy some REAL coins.

The speared buffalo is at best a die state, which is of no consequence.

The extra leaf Wisconsin coins are just one more cheap trick by the mint to encourage interest in their products. I would not be so steamed at the mint if were not for the fact that their service has gone down the tubes again – just like it did 20 years ago.

I ordered 10, 2005 silver Proof sets that they acknowledged shipping on June 16. After not receiving the merchandise I tried to trace the shipment though the Post Office site. I found that the mint has supplied me with an invalid tracking number on a shipment that is worth almost $380.00.

The mint’s response is that they won’t do anything about it until July 16. In other words, “To hell with you and your order.”

Do wonder why I get tired of the mint’s dog and pony shows with these trashy modern creations? They have time to make those, but they don’t have time to provide basic service to their customers. image disgust;disgust;disgust;disgust;disgust;
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The extra leaf Wisconsin coins are just one more cheap trick by the mint to encourage interest in their products. >>

Bill,

Is this Conspiracy Theory talking, or do you have some info about this charge? Pretty startling stuff, if true!
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Sell it ASAP, it will definately not hold its current value.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Have any of these coins been found in circulation or have they only been found by roll searchers? >>

Yes I found a high leaf in change. I voted I'd keep it; I'm a collector not a dealer.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't check my change enough and probably would pass it by.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    sell it in a heartbeat, who the hell wants to collect a coin with a reverse design of a cow and some cheese?? now if "Laverne and shirley" were on the reverse,hmmmm....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The extra leaf Wisconsin coins are just one more cheap trick by the mint to encourage interest in their products. >>

Bill,

Is this Conspiracy Theory talking, or do you have some info about this charge? Pretty startling stuff, if true! >>

Here's another mint marketing game, and it's publicized right on the front page of the July 4 Coin World.

There is a second hub that was used to strike 5,500 Sacagawea dollars that have been randomly distributed in boxes of Cheerios. I guess if the mintage is limited to 5,500, the coin will be worth a lot more than the near $5 price tag you can pay for a box of cereal these days.

Do you think this is really great stuff for the mint to doing? If you do, fair enough, but when they can't ship their products to cash paying customers and treat them like dogs, I'd say their priorities are pretty messed up. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Sell it, only because they're selling for stupid money right now. >>

There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • Options

<< <i>

Here's another mint marketing game, and it's publicized right on the front page of the July 4 Coin World.

There is a second hub that was used to strike 5,500 Sacagawea dollars that have been randomly distributed in boxes of Cheerios. I guess if the mintage is limited to 5,500, the coin will be worth a lot more than the near $5 price tag you can pay for a box of cereal these days.

Do you think this is really great stuff for the mint to doing? If you do, fair enough, but when they can't ship their products to cash paying customers and treat them like dogs, I'd say their priorities are pretty messed up. image >>

It looks as though the Cheerios coins were more likely just another mint snafu more than a plan.

They spent a huge amount of money on advertising and marketing for this coin which was really
    rushed into production because they had a lot of difficulty settleing on a composition for it. The
    Cheerios program was likely intended to get some cheap publicity by getting Kelloggs to pay for
    it. Coins were struck as soon as a material was decided on but the final design wasn't completed.

While this could have been all "accidently on purpose" it would seem that the mint would have an-
    nounced their error or had someone discover it for them had it been intentional. While the mint is
    hardly above shenanigans it seems unlikely either this or the WI quarters were the result of official
    or semi-official mint policy.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Sorry, Cladking.

We've heard the same stories about how the extra leaf Wisconsin coins were a mint snafu. But the leaves are just too well formed to be from a die break, clash mark or any other mint error that could be said to be their source. They really look intentional to me.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, Cladking.

We've heard the same stories about how the extra leaf Wisconsin coins were a mint snafu. But the leaves are just well formed to be from a die break, clash mark or any other mint error that could be said to be their source. They really look intentional to me. >>

I agree entirely. But it was likely a mint worker acting on his own rather than policy or plan.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Sell it immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Interesting...Of those who care or would recognize the significance of the coin, 2/3 are in the "sell it" camp.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    make a hole thru it.
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    I'd sell the speared bison but keep the extra leaf quarter, as it interests me to a much greater degree than the SB. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Guess which option I picked.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd sell them immediately for stupid money.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Sell! Sell! Sell!!! And buy a real coin....... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Guess which option I picked.

Russ, NCNE
    --------------------------------
    HI
    RUSS you would keep the sb. i think.!!!
    a Wisconsin or a bison. no choices its the speared bison.
    littlejohn
  • Options
    Anything new with these? Is there still interest?
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

<< <i>sell it ASAP. What about you? >>

Get it graded, then sell it ASAP, for a big fat premium.....

imageimage

TC
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    Interesting poll... Monday I found a WI Low Leaf in change in San Antonio, Tx. The first one from change in 8-12 months. Definitely used for 2-3 years so it proibably grades XF... much rarer than a NGC MS 67 !!!! Like most that I have acquired, it is a keeper. I am waiting for the lows to be offered for $25 each and the Highs at $40 each.... So PM me to sell me your worthless High/Low WI quarters at my cheap buy price. Just don't overwhelm me with tens and hundreds of coins. Maybe it is my age but I still enjoy collecting the extra leaves. The Speared nickels, Godless $, MN DDR, and maybe the 2008/7 ASE are off my buy list. Those have too much Puff and no real substance...IMHO. Mark. Note: this reply was never intended to be in the BST section.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    If I were to find either coin I would keep it for my collection...I am a collector of keys and the highly unusual! I would not pay moon money though for them, but I do expect some of them down the road will retain their value and be declared real rarities!
  • Options
    Sell it in a heartbeat and buy real coins with the money.
  • Options

<< <i>Sell it in a heartbeat and buy real coins with the money. >>

...Like a damaged and common as dirt 1937 buffalo nickel in Fine?

To each his own, I guess.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They aren't even in the same realms....you shouldn't try to combine them.

The WI quarter looks intentional, whether or not people believe it is, there are 2 of them with similar "errors".
    The SB is just another wash out in the life of numismatics and really isn't that cool, imho.

I'd keep the first, if I didn't have one, and sell the SB in a heartbeat if anyone wanted it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    I hate pocket change, so i probably wouldn't notice. IF i did find one, i'd sell to some sucker immediately
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    sell. very easy question.
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #4 - spend it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file