Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GRADING QUIZ ON THESE TWO LIBERTY $20 GOLD COINS===ANSWER NOW POSTED!!

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
What would you grade these two coins (1861-P and 1873-P) and why? What did PCGS grade these two coins and why?

By the way, I bought both coins from the ANR Auction of the Drew St John Sale in Rosemont, IL.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    IMO they are both low grade uncs. about MS60/MS61 maybe. I could see PCGS grading that 1873 anywhere from an AU58 to MS63 however. image
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Impressions here are that they are both 60/61 so, I'm with dragon. They are very heavily bagged it seems but they have very good luster, seemingly unbroken and original...no coin in hand though so jmho.
  • Options
    Hmmm, with my next post in mind 61/61
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    The 1861 is MS-61, and I need one like it for my 1861 year set image

The 1873 is an MS-62.

Remember, gold is very soft and PCGS is very lienient on gold.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    AU 55. I see some dullness on the cheek and circ marks. Too many to be a 58 IMO.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both 60.5. Very baggy and marked up uncirculated coins. Second one is a little nicer than the first, but the grease marks on the reverse detract.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    58/61

Insanely baggy coins, and the first almost looks to have some wear aside from the bagmarks. (I could be wrong)

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    1861 obverse - for so many marks and wear, it sure shows a lot of luster.
    To bad about the cheek area, pretty rough.
    reverse - shows the same amount of rim damage as the obverse. not much.
    once again, a lot of luster left on that coin.

man this is a tough call for me. I have not stared at 20 Libs as much as i have half eagles.
    It could be anywhere from AU58 all the way up to a MS62. I def would not mind owning it
    due to it being a civil war coin.

edited to add, the more i look at it, the more marks that catch my eye constantly.
    Luster is its saving grace.

I will go with MS60.

1873 obverse - Some scratches instantly catch my eye. The strike does not look as strong.
    Not as much luster as the coin above it. Rim is not perfect, but it sure is not bad.
    reverse - The shield shows some dings, pretty large gouge on the left hand side.
    Rim is ok, but shows some marks. Above average marks I cannot identify.

This one is not as hard as the top coin i think. AU58.

nice coins though and good dates, to me at least. I am not sure what the mintages were though.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in general agreement with the masses.

Not too long ago, I would have called them both AU+ based on my lack of knowledge about gold coins and gold grading. The field marks LOOK like rubs. I've been properly adjusted by reading this forum, so I guess I'll agree with the MS-60 or 61 guesses.....But I'd like to see them in hand before committing MONEY to the coins. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Low end uncs. MS-60 to 61. Baggy and scuffed surfaces keep them from a higher grade. If there is wear not visible in the pics, they may be AU-58's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    60/61
  • Options
    1861 - AU56

1873 - AU54

Severe bag/ware marks, rim damage...
    My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    AU 53
    AU 55

Both look to me from the pics to have rub--the second more than the first. Both too marked up for 58 grade. Also the photo of coin 1 makes it looked like someone was messing with the obverse fields.
  • Options
    I will post the assigned grades by Sunday night and the sellers explanation.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I would be hard pressed to give that 1861 a MS60 even though it may very well be uncirculated.

I'll say AU-50 and MS-61
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ms-61 for the first (heavily marked devices and fields, but decent luster)

Ms-62 for the second (Few Heavier marks but not as many in the prime focal areas or fields)
  • Options
    1861 - MS-61 - Too many marks on all three sides to go any higher. I don't see any wear.

1873 - MS-60 - Same as above, and probably would have went - 61, or even - 62 had not been for that nasty mark just below the eagle's right wing and around the thirteenth star on the obverse.
  • Options
    Is this the 1873 the closed 3 variety? If it is, it's a much better date. The open 3 variety is considered a common date type II double eagle, not that any type II's are all that common in MS.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the 1861--the first one
    The right side obverse field has the nearly identical marks as I have on a 63-4 eagle and I got BB'd from across the street as they called it IMPROPER CLEANING. I am going to call it a 55-because I am looking at the tips of the wings. However, I am never right.

The 1873 looks like a 60 but since this is a trick questionimage I will be wrong once again.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These two coins are near dead ringers for the examples of the respective types that I have in my collection. Both of those pieces are NGC AU-58s.

After I'd seen some of the really ugly, bag marked junk double eagles that has gotten in MS-61 holders I had harbored thoughts that perhiaps I'd pull a 61 for one or both of my pieces. But no that was not meant to be. I guess my coins were too attractive. image

It almost seems like that some of the coins in low end Mint State holders had a rub in the fields, but after someone used an ice pick to scare up the fields, they were qualified to be Mint State. If you don't believe have a look at some so-called Mint State early $20 gold coins. You might be in for a shock. image

The two coins are AU-58, but if the right people send them in, they might go higher.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1861 looks alittle rough for a 61, however there is no signs of rub. As much as I do not believe the 60 grade is being used in gold when it should, this coin deserves a 60. The 1873 looks as if it may be the closed 3 variety which is not easy an easy date. As much as the grease streaks are distracting on the reverse, I would grade that coin a 61. Why? Because the biggest marks on the obverse are not in obvious spots and are not distracting. The obverse usually caries the grade and in the case of the 1873, I think it does. In addition, this date, whether open or closed 3, is heavily bag marked and this example looks good... my thoughts from the upper deck...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    They probably graded PCGS 58 but I would not want either of them. The first coin has far too many bag marks for me and the stains on the reverse of the second coin totally blow it for me.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    1) I'd go 58 because of the dullness in the hair looks like a bit of wear to me. Pretty heavily marked.

2) looks more MS to me, a little weak on the obv strike, I'll go 61.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    PerryHall: You asked:

<< <i>Is this the 1873 the closed 3 variety? If it is, it's a much better date. The open 3 variety is considered a common date type II double eagle, not that any type II's are all that common in MS. >>

Yes. This is the closed 3 variety.

By the way, on the 1873-S the opposite is true (the closed 3 is the more common variety) which makes it easier for collectors to have one of each. Wasn't that nice of the US Mint back in 1873?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    The 1861 seems to have more of a profusion of 'chatter' in the fields than the '73. Even if it has hairlines, I would bet PCGS went in the MS61 range as the cheek area doesn't seem to have any discoloration. The lustre 'picks it up'.

The 1873, while having cleaner looking fields does appear to have discoloration on the cheek and 2-3 longer marks in the field in front of the face, as well as two longish cuts on the bust....AU58

That said, you can't grade images. image

And thanks for the neat giveaway....I'll let you choose. image
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    I could imagine either as MS61 but I think that MS60 and AU55 would be most appropriate.
    Neither attractive
    Usual caveats.
    Trime
  • Options

<< <i>PerryHall: You asked:

<< <i>Is this the 1873 the closed 3 variety? If it is, it's a much better date. The open 3 variety is considered a common date type II double eagle, not that any type II's are all that common in MS. >>

Yes. This is the closed 3 variety.

By the way, on the 1873-S the opposite is true (the closed 3 is the more common variety) which makes it easier for collectors to have one of each. Wasn't that nice of the US Mint back in 1873? >>

Early in 1873 the Philadelphia mint discovered the closed 3 looked like an 8 and changed it to the open 3 variety. Hence, the closed 3 is the scarcer variety since they caught it very early. At this time the Philadelphia mint sent replacement dies with the open 3 to the San Francisco mint but transportation was very slow in those days so S.F. didn't get the new dies until late in the year. Hence, the closed 3 die was used throughout most of the year in S.F. making that the most common variety and the open 3 the more scarce variety.

• Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    The 61's field is too cloudy to go over AU-58, but these days I can see lucking out higher.
    The 73 seems mint state, although banged up--MS61
    morgannut2
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    58 both.
  • Options
    I am doing a vote tally here:

This is the final tally:

EF-45====0
    AU-50====1
    AU-53====1
    AU-54====0
    AU-55====2
    AU-56====1
    AU-58====7
    MS-60====9
    MS-60.5==1
    MS-61===12
    MS-62====0
    MS-63====0

EF-45====0
    AU-50====0
    AU-53====0
    AU-54====1
    AU-55====4
    AU-56====0
    AU-58====6
    MS-60====7
    MS-60.5==1
    MS-61===12
    MS-62====3
    MS-63====0

Some more interesting analysis:

Those who graded the 1861 higher than the 1873: 7
    Those who graded both the 1861 /1873 the same: 8
    Those who graded the 1861 lower- then the 1873: 13

Weighted average grade based on the votes:

1861===2007.5/34 = 59.04
    1873===2020.5/34 = 59.43

This seems to support my hypothesis that a larger weighted average of a group vote tends to self correct the highs and lows of the graders (us) and come to a more accurate conclusion.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The analysis is only interesting if you tell us the darn answer! image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cheek and the fields are the 2 areas I concentrate on. The fields on the 1873 are far better and could qualify for MS62. The 1861 is baggier overall and couldn't rate higher than MS61. The cheek on both coins (and eye brow) looked (are) rubbed. The 1861 covers the entire cheek area and the 1873 maybe about 1/3.

I still think the services could MS one or both pieces even though they are technically rubbed. The cleaner fields of the 1873 make this a superior piece to me.

But what bothers me is that the rubbing on the 1873 looks worse, even if smaller, while the 1861's is well blended in by hits. Maybe Oreville being an expert in this area can help explain this...i.e. the rub on the 1873 looks worse at first glance because of the contrast.

1861 - AU58
    1873 - MS61

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    61 and 55
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TDN said:

<< <i>The analysis is only interesting if you tell us the darn answer! >>

Heck, I promised the answer by tonight!

I found it just as interesting that your answer and that of roadrunners are completely the opposite!
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Ok, orville, what time tonight...you're drivin' us crazy out here. Kind of like a cat playing with a lizard with us being the lizard. It is a nice thread though so thanks for the fun.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville, it is pretty common for AU58 and MS61 to be interchangeble grades. So in the respect myself and TDN do agree.
    We both probably agree that both coins are rubbed. But the hard question is what does PCGS "think" these are, whether right or wrong? It matters little what they really are, but only what 4 "little" men behind a curtain think on one particular day.

Ex: I had an AU58 draped bust coin that everyone I showed this too felt it was at best a 58. Not one major player I showed this coin to wanted to think of it as any better. Nor would they pay a solid 58 price for it. Until....one lone dealer stepped up and bought it (and admitted he was thinking MS61). Lo and behold, the coin graded MS62 next time out! Now the "market" once again thinks the coin is a MS62. It doesn't really matter that all the previous lookers saw only an AU coin. The men behind the curtain added market "value" to the coin. For that it's worth, the coin sold for an extra 50% because of the upgrade. But we know that in the next down cycle, that coin will only sell for AU58 once again.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Pcgs gaded the top coin MS 60 and the bottom MS 62.

imageimage
  • Options
    Answer to be submitted by 6pm EDT.
  • Options
    Both coins are PCGS AU-58. Very solid for the grade in both cases.

They were sold by ANR Numismatic Rarities and they went for solid AU-58 prices.

ANR Description's about the 1861:

Although this piece is not Mint State, it has about as much lustre as a Mint State piece might. However, the difference is in the contact marks, which on the present coin are fairly extensive on the obverse. The reverse, if graded separately, might be called MS-60. Among double eagles of this era, the 1861 is one of just a few Mint State coins that can be obtained outside of the marvelous treasure ship finds.

ANR Description's about the 1873:

A lustrous and attractive example, classified as AU-58, but certainly as nice as some we have seen called MS-60. This is a very nice example, highly recommended, of the rather elusive type from 1866 to 1876, with IN GOD WE TRUST on the reverse and the denomination given as TWENTY D. If you are building a type set and do not want to pay more for a Mint State coin, buy this one.

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Interesting - that top one sure took a beating
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    You're 2 minutes early, oreville.image
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang.....shoulda gone with my first impression. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    I am showing this vote tally again so that it is not missed.

This is the final tally:

EF-45====0
    AU-50====1
    AU-53====1
    AU-54====0
    AU-55====2
    AU-56====1
    AU-58====7
    MS-60====9
    MS-60.5==1
    MS-61===12
    MS-62====0
    MS-63====0

EF-45====0
    AU-50====0
    AU-53====0
    AU-54====1
    AU-55====4
    AU-56====0
    AU-58====6
    MS-60====7
    MS-60.5==1
    MS-61===12
    MS-62====3
    MS-63====0

Some more interesting analysis:

Those who graded the 1861 higher than the 1873: 7
    Those who graded both the 1861 /1873 the same: 8
    Those who graded the 1861 lower- then the 1873: 13

Weighted average grade based on the votes:

1861===2007.5/34 = 59.04
    1873===2020.5/34 = 59.43

This seems to support my hypothesis that a larger weighted average of a group vote tends to self correct the highs and lows of the graders (us) and come to a more accurate conclusion. When everything was tallied up we came awful close to the actual PCGS grade.

It also brings into question as to whether an AU-59 might be needed?
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< it has about as much lustre as a Mint State piece might. However, the difference is in the contact marks, which on the present coin are fairly extensive on the obverse. >>>

Numerous contact marks do not preclude a coin from being MS, especially a $20.00 Lib.
  • Options
    It would be nice to get some additional thoughts from HRH on these coins and to discuss the ANR commentary given that this could be very instructional.

Of course, we are dealing only with photos but the question is when does baggy get too baggy to be mint state, or ever?
  • Options
    I bought these two coins as the perfect old timer AU-58's. They don't seem to be around much anymore.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Oreville- The concensus opinion does favor the 73 going into a MS holder if you round off. I called the first one 58 and the 1873 MS61-- I'm sticking to that opinion (and it appears ANR seems to at least agree the 1873 "looks" uncirculated). I think you have a case to submit the 1873 again for review--I just don't see the wear.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    I am very pleased with this thread. I am glad my eye is somewhat accurate.

I also think it is human nature, when you set two coins in front of a person,
    especially when they are the same coin/diff date, we will make an opinion of which
    is better than the other.

Hence the reason I gave the top MS60 and the bottom AU58.
    Next time I will not allow myself to do that. (Learning here).

I hope for another thread like this next week!
    (that is where I will be way off and look like a fool!)
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see I was right on both counts. With market grading what it is today, I was tempted to say 61 on the first and 61/62 on the second, but I looked to the slight rub and stayed true to my, umm, "resistance" to market grading. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file