Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3 CENT SILVERS ARE NEAT COINS !

PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
3 Cent Silver Uncs are such neat looking coins...how come there are only a few registry sets ??

Anyone here collect them ?

I have seen many uncs with eye appealing toning.

I may have to start a set..

comments ?
Larry
Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
POB 854
Temecula CA 92593
310-541-7222 office
310-710-2869 cell
www.LSRarecoins.com
Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
Baltimore July 14-17
Chicago August 11-15

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one problem people have is that they're so danged tiny... that makes them hard to see in general, and also hard to grade/spot problems, simply because imperfections are so much smaller.

That said, I agree with you--they're very neat coins!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I agree they're fantastic little coins. They tone up very very nicely too, but they look awesome raw as well. I bought one raw from Coinlieutenant, awesomely toned, that I had holdered by NGC for preservation. It's still in my collection and most likely won't be going anywhere for quite a while. Anyway when I got it from CoinLt. my jaw just about hit the floor when I saw how small they were (I hadn't seen one in person yet) and not only that, they're paper thin as well! image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

IF you can see them imageimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I think the silver three cents are great even in AU. They often tone super. Problem is they are so thin they bend easily and are therefore hard to get into PCGS/NGC holders.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Love those trimes.
    Numismatics can be a lonely hobby.
    Collecting 3CS is the loneliest.
    Trime
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m curious about these “great toning” comments. I’ll grant you that I have seen many nicely toned Type III Silver Three Cent Pieces, but I find only a few Type II coins was nice toning and virtually no Type I pieces.

The Type I Silver Three Cent Pieces were only 75% silver and 25% copper. The standard for U.S. silver coins is 90-10. For that reason many of the Type I coins I see have very ugly blotchy toning or they have been dipped. Maybe you guys have seen something else, but that’s been my observation.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For that reason many of the Type I coins I see have very ugly blotchy toning or they have been dipped. Maybe you guys have seen something else, but that’s been my observation. >>

• Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    I'm one of those poor dorks who love trimes. I recently completed a circulated collection of 1851-1862 (including 62/1) and I have 7 of the proofs. They're just about the puniest U.S. coins but really cool. Glad to see there's someone else out there to compete for the material...well, only sorta glad.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I love the little guys. It may be my next series. I'm working on half dimes now so I am used to small coins. I was looking into them at one point, but felt prices were a bit beyond my budget at that time, so I never went anywhere with it.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only US coin smaller than the trime is the Type I gold dollar (13mm vs. 14mm). The trime is the lightest US coin ever produced. Their nickname back when they circulated was "fish scales".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    I collect them as far as my type set requirements (all 3 types will be needed). I only have the 1853 right now but its a beautiful NGC-63 example and I love it. So I'm still looking for nice examples of the type 2 and type 3. I really like both the 3 cent silvers and the 3 cent nickels.image
  • Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    I had a 3-cent piece once... Until I dropped it in my safe and it came out of it's tiny 1.5x1.5 holder image
    I still haven't found it to this day image

Ben
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    ecosecos Posts: 391
    Trimes are great coins! One day I will collect them.
    The first one I ever owned, I found. I was walking across a plowed field in SE Pennsylvania and something caught my eye in a clump of dirt. It must have been the perfect circle outline against all the random dirt. I took a step back and, sure enough, picked up a dirt covered 3 cent'er. It was a common date, but hey, can't beat the price!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For that reason many of the Type I coins I see have very ugly blotchy toning or they have been dipped. Maybe you guys have seen something else, but that’s been my observation. >>

image >>

Aside from the "Eliasberg" citation, which adds value to piece, this looks like a crack-out condidate to me when it comes to the assigned grade.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aside from the "Eliasberg" citation, which adds value to piece, this looks like a crack-out condidate to me when it comes to the assigned grade. >>

No doubt about it; this is very much a coin that the crackout artists would love to get their hands on. But as long as it's mine, it will remain in its original 58 holder.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    They also hold a neat place in holey history. During the period they were produced, due to their size, many people holed them to place them onto charm bracelets. I have about 200 of the suckers with contemporary holes in them, as well as many that are still on the bracelets. Their biggest downside is how easily they bent and became disfigured in general.
  • Options
    When the law was passed that authorized the Silver Three Cent Pieces, they were said to have two purposes. First, the postal rate for a letter had just been lowered to three cents. Since large cents did not circulate that well, these pieces provided a convenient way to buy stamps.

Second, these pieces were to be used to redeem Spanish milled coins when they were brought to the mint for re-coinage into U.S. coins. The Spanish coins were still legal tender in the U.S. and would continue to have that status until 1857. Some people had learned that they could bring badly worn Spanish milled coins in for the exchange and get back more silver than they brought in. To discourage that the trime was purposely made to have less than three cents worth of silver in it. It was the first U.S. coinage that was issued that way with no apologies.

In a way I think that this was one way to discourage people from bringing in a lot of Spanish coinage to the mint. In exchange for three nice big silver dollars, you got 100 trimes, which some people called “fish scales.” The derogatory term stemmed from the fact that the coins were so thin that it was almost impossible to lift them from a flat surface.

Here is a picture of my favorite trime, the 1851-O. This was to lowest denomination to be produced at a U.S. branch mint until the Indian cents were made at San Francisco in 1908.

imageimage
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Just watch out with them raw, commonly bent.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who says no one collects them???

I have lots of clients buying them....

come look at our website....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Hi Jon,
    I knew you would Trime in image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one word for 3-cent silvers: undervalued. Go back to an old Redbook from the early 1960's and look at the prices compared to 2-cent pieces, 3-cent nickels, and half dimes. You will see that the 3-cent silvers were cosidered better coins. 3 cent silvers in decent circulated grade are overdue for an appreciation. I have 1851-O, 1855, and 1864 in my collection now; need to buy up the rest before everyone on this board jumps on the bandwagon and drives the prices up! In addition to being undervalued, they are scarce type coins that make a strong impression on non-collectors. An matched, originally toned Unc. set in PCGS slabs or a Capitol plastic holder would be an impressive accomplishment and a rare find indeed.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these are neat little coins

I have 4, 1852, 1855, 1861 and this one:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Thanks Guys for all your fine responses...

Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    I love this trime (my only Unc.), courtesy of Darin (including the pix which are his too):
    imageimage
  • Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed a year set 51-62/1 in Ef and up and proofs 63 thru 73. Makes for a nice set. The Proofs are all ANACS.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options

<< <i>Love those trimes.
    Numismatics can be a lonely hobby.
    Collecting 3CS is the loneliest. >>

Try collecting two cent pieces!!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭

BillJones
    Master Collector

Wednesday June 22, 2005 9:20 AM

I’m curious about these “great toning” comments. I’ll grant you that I have seen many nicely toned Type III Silver Three Cent Pieces, but I find only a few Type II coins was nice toning and virtually no Type I pieces.

The Type I Silver Three Cent Pieces were only 75% silver and 25% copper. The standard for U.S. silver coins is 90-10. For that reason many of the Type I coins I see have very ugly blotchy toning or they have been dipped. Maybe you guys have seen something else, but that’s been my observation.

imageimage
  • Options
    true gem unc type two trimes that are fantastically wildly toned are truly extremely beautiful small works of art and

actually in ngc and moreso pcgs holders the holder shows off and holds the coin and again a killer toned superb eye appeal gem unc type two trime is a rare joy to behold and actually in the pcgs holder sparkles and appears larger than life due to its gem quality lustre and colors

and is a fantastically rare bird to boot so small yet amazing and rare and totally undervalued sleeper opportunity coinage with a great history

now the type one and type three and the proofs are also cool too with great toning in choice and gem ms and proof

they are great sleeper coins too opportunity coinage+++

but a true gem ms wildly colored trime type two is a rare joy to behold and actually makes grown men weep

and the ngc and pcgs holders make these coins easier to hold and view and again with great color lustre and high technical grade are joys to behold and light up many times their so called small size

so many trimes are damaged and bent and even when they get aq nick it shows up on the other side of the coin they are so thin that again any special looking trime will stand out many times its small size and will be able to be seen quite well even by a blind man

if you cant see the trimes or have a hard time with them then you are not looking at the special trimes as per the above information

get with the program!!! and get yourself a choice to gem ms and/or proof trime type one 2 or 3 with great color and then you will enjoy this coin ngc and pcgs holder all the better with pcgs being the best for viewing and holding such small masterpieces works of art

type two gem ms and pcgs holdered and wildly colored the ultimate of the ultimate

this little coin in this attatchment might be small in person but because of its color and lustre and technical superb qualities makes this coin look much larger than life when viewing it in hand sight seen

and any statement about a coin like this being small and hard to see and not a good coin to collect is greatly missing something in coins and hurting their numismatic advancement and in their limited coin experience has not had the pleasure to see and study and apprecaite the really beautiful trimes

get with the program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    how come there are only a few registry sets ??

....I suspect it's because they're so darn small. I have good eye sight and cant fully enjoy looking at those coins without a glass.

David
  • Options
    Lot 1328 ANR auction tomorrow..

http://www.anrcoins.com/lotdetail.aspx?lrid=AN00024414

Beautiful coin..

maybe someone can post a pic of this coin ??

Larry 1871 pr67 3cs
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Bill. Check out this coin and my icon for exceptions. K

• Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Nic,
    Very Nice!
    Trime
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you go. K

• Options
    I just added my 3rd coin...
    I may be hooked image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are too small. Most collectors are older and no longer have good enough eyesight for coins of that size.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I have a couple for type only. I think they're cool they were used as "Stamp Money" change If I recall correctly.

Take Care
    Ben
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    I just added another nice coin..
    1864 with color !

Still only 10 guys putting together sets ...
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I only have 1.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry....you see 10 sets on pcgs....but rest assured there are lots of people who have much nicer sets than are listed ( I know because I know what I have sold them and they dont care at all about registry sets) and even more plenty of people are collecting 3 centers....I must have 25 customers who are buying 3c Silvers from me who dont even own a computer....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only one. It is a top-pop proof and arguably the most beautiful coin in my collection.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
  • Options
    cladiatorimage

also your icon is the best top three i have ever saw on here
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Here's my only nice one. Raw (bent slightly).

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I went over my budget to buy this one. As usual for Heritage pics, it looks much nicer in person.

Bill
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mgoodm3 -- those are amazing clash marks across the III! Great coin!
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    tt
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They also hold a neat place in holey history. During the period they were produced, due to their size, many people holed them to place them onto charm bracelets. I have about 200 of the suckers with contemporary holes in them, as well as many that are still on the bracelets. Their biggest downside is how easily they bent and became disfigured in general. >>

I was under the impression that most small holed coins, such as gold dollars, half dimes, trimes and half reales were holed for purposes of not losing them and were tied onto a leather thong for safe keeping until spent.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They also hold a neat place in holey history. During the period they were produced, due to their size, many people holed them to place them onto charm bracelets. I have about 200 of the suckers with contemporary holes in them, as well as many that are still on the bracelets. Their biggest downside is how easily they bent and became disfigured in general. >>

I was under the impression that most small holed coins, such as gold dollars, half dimes, trimes and half reales were holed for purposes of not losing them and were tied onto a leather thong for safe keeping until spent.

JJ >>

I don't know which is correct, I only know that finding one is very fun.

Becky

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file