Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hypothetical #1 - European Vacation

2»

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    yes, refund the money.......authenticity is the one thing that should be unconditionally guaranteed with no expiration......all other sales are final and should not be refunded (examples: buyer's remorse, not grading as high as you thought, etc) but authenticity is a deal breaker

**note: i do realize that this is a slippery slope......let's say you sold a restrike.....question now becomes were you selling it AS a restrike or not and if not, does this now void that sale??? tricky huh?

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Let's say a dealer buys a coin from a little ol' lady and after purchasing realizes that it's a rare variety and will command strong dollars. Does the dealer call the ol' lady back and tell her he owes her more money? Bet that happens all the time, yeah right. The dealer should now go out and buy a book.
  • Options
    The dealer wouldn't get any money back from me.
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    OK here it is 3 years later after your European vacation.. where you bought the gold piece, sold it to the dealer, took his 3K for your 250.00 fake and told him to kiss off he should have known better than to buy a fake..
    well you've been a busy collector and have accumulated a nice collection of coins over the last 3 years for a rainy day... in fact it's the only liquid asset available to you at the moment ... well guess what it rained... not only did it rain it poured.. dam broke took the house away and you have no federal flood insurance... wife is now your ex and has the bank accounts to zero.. car broke down .. all you have is your 75K in gold coins... but maybe your luck is changing there is a coin show at the convention center and ALL the big dealers will be there... so you take your box of gold and go.. after shopping your goods around all day to every dealer on the floor you decide on selling to dealer x for 60K ( not what you wanted but the best price of the 80 dealers you showed it to ) and just as your about to close the deal ... yep you guessed it .. that dealer you told to pound sand is at the table next to you and says hey I know you.. your the guy who sold me that fake gold and told me to pound sand when I asked you about it... well that deal is burnt and not only that word spreads through the bourse like wildfire and the rest of the dealers won't touch your coins except to see if they could tell if they were fake.... and it gets better next day a friend of yours calls you up and says he was on the PCGS forum last night and there was a 400 post thread about a guy who was selling fake gold at the coin show..... It's all about personal integrity., on both sides.. now I imagine things would of went diferently if that dealer you screwed had said hey joe this is a good seller and stands behind his merchandise 100%....
    " the road you wander is the road you choose" if you want to keep out of the mud stay on the high path.
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This dealer is a naco and as far as I am concerned, is also S.O.L. I suggest he finds another line of work.

If he buys a raw coin for major money and can't distinguish between a real and fake one, es un buen guey y pendejo.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>This is a tough one, but I will go against the crowd. No, I would not give him his money back. He is the expert, not me, and should have known better before offering and paying the money. I might not even have the cash to return. And a month later? >>

Bingo! the professional numismatist should know better, he/she does it for a living and that is the risk they take buying raw coins from the public.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file