Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1859/1859 takes a $6500 drop in asking price

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
Your 1859 S1 has been "reduced" quit a bit from the 15K it was originally listed for. About 6.5K, more than any coin I've listed on EBay (sorry, couldn't resist that). I consider that a nice forum reply in your own sort of way. We have a way to go still, but this is a start.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That's a hefty price drop. Apparently there's some room in that coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    As The Coinworld Turns. Fascinating.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Russel just loves this place.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    The room in this coin, as Russ noted, is just beginning to show its slack. Even in the new slab I'm thinking 5K max. And pitty the fool who bites...
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you feel better
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I'm glad you feel better

What...no intense closeup photo to add to your post? Do you have anything besides your megasized photos to add to any posts here? Can your camera capture a full slab picture.? Or how about an opinion of the coins you photo. You're the big picture IH guy who has never displayed a full slab pic and who kisses ass here. Back it up.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
  • Options
  • Options
    As I see it, all this ugliness started when Rick, fresh from his burn wounds, after thanking people for their prayers, turned to flaming Paul in the same thread.
  • Options
    what may ask is it? Your going up against one of the most respected copper guys in the biz.

Even the most respected copper guy in the business makes wrong business decisions. This is one of them. The fact that he trashed me as the result of his decision plays a large role in my sticking around. I'm in this for the long haul now...
  • Options

<< <i>What...no intense closeup photo to add to your post? Do you have anything besides your megasized photos to add to any posts here? Can your camera capture a full slab picture.? Or how about an opinion of the coins you photo. You're the big picture IH guy who has never displayed a full slab pic and who kisses ass here. Back it up. >>

1. No intense closeup needed.
    2. Yes, I do on occasion add info beyond pictures. I feel that I have helped bring this forum up a notch on photo quality. I like pictures, that's what I do and have given freely of what I know about taking said pictures.
    3. Yes, I can take pictures of plastic, why do you ask? I'd rather take pics of coins.
    4. I do render opinions on my own coins, complained about some woodgrain toning recently.
    5. Please educate me on this ass-kissing thing. Maybe because I don't kiss yours I am. Am I not mean enough for you?

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Please provide a link to the thread that shows that you were trashed.
    Link
  • Options
    I give up.

This coin will sell for a nice markup in its NGC slab. All of you will live happily ever after. Keep an eye out image
  • Options
    Geez Paul, what's your deal?? Mark Goodman takes great pics, and who the heck wants a stupid full slab photo anyway?? I'm glad you feel better too, not letting go of something that you lost a bit of money on.
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    mgoodm3 replies to Rick Snow threads with nice images he took of Rick's coins. Give me a break. There comes a time when an actual reply to a post is deserved, not a pic of a coin you bought from the dealer and are showing off here. See my post about posting as a lost art. Lloyd -- have you or Mark Goodman ever had a worthwhile comment delivered on the forum aside from an image or your comments about your buying potential? An honest question, now that you bring it up.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i happen to agree paul (shylock) was trashed unfairly
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone else get the same coin image when they try to view the AU58 version of this type of coin?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of how big or well known a dealer is in the business has nothing to do with whether one gets a fair shake or a real value from them. Just something I've noticed over 30 years. Doesn't matter if they write fancy columns or books, or what have you.
    But it always seems it's a big issue to question a "biggie" rather than a little fish....something I just don't quite get.

It's still a business and the sellers watch out for themselves first in most situations. Due diligence and a questioning attitude is always required. It always comes down to the merits of each transaction.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>mgoodm3 replies to Rick Snow threads with nice images he took of Rick's coins. Give me a break. There comes a time when an actual reply to a post is deserved, not a pic of a coin you bought from the dealer and are showing off here. See my post about posting as a lost art. Lloyd -- have you or Mark Goodman ever had a worthwhile comment delivered on the forum aside from an image or your comments about your buying potential? An honest question, now that you bring it up. >>

Since I'm still getting trashed here I had better reply. I liked the idea of finding out a coin's history and as such appreciate the work put into it. Where I decided that you crossed the line with this whole thing was with the tone of the initial thread in the series. It was a personal attack and had very little to do with education. Rick's reply may have been a mistake too but he hasn't persisted in this whole nastiness like you have. This has become some sort of inquisition and I don't like to see you reveling in the conquest. That's why I responded today.

I take images of my coins and almost never say where I got them. So how is that ass kissing? I post pics here because I live in the middle of nowhere and have nobody else to show them to. So don't be a butthead about me posting pics. And oh yes, I have never had a worthwhile comment to anything ever. I'm thinking that your comments of late haven't been worthwhile. And I don't go spouting about my buying potential is, and I would bet that most expensive coin cost less than yours.
  • Options
    Laura - I agree I need to let this transaction go. This thread got under my skin by the way it was handled by a major dealer. I feel he took advantage of the situation he was in by trashing me in a public forum. The fact that very few of the posters here backed me up hurt my feelings, and my posts went downhill from there. I have a hard time understanding the point of many who post here but that doesn't give me the right to trash them for it. I apologize to them for that, let's let this thread die.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When this happened, a thread was running about the 1859 S1 NGC MS65 I have for sale. Paul Houck (shylock) started a thread relating how he used to own it as a ANACS MS63 (bought from me) and sold it for a steep loss on ebay. (By the way Paul, thanks for the very kind words for my recovery elsewhere) The fact is I made the mistake on selling it to Paul in the first place. It is a slam-dunk 64, shot 65 with beautiful luster. I got it and flopped it to Paul at a discount to the MS64 price, rather than sending it in first. I don't get special breaks with any grading service, btw.

He's looking back at it as just a typical ANACS63, where in reality is was way undergraded, and we both knew it! Hence the completion of a successful deal. My intention on selling to him was that maybe, maybe one day he’d sell it back to me. What does he do? Throws it on ebay! Sure it's listed in Cherrypickers, but why didn't he upgrade it first! Real stupid move. I treat customers fairer than normal if I believe that someday I'll be able to make and offer on their coins when they want to sell. (Dr. Larson Collection for example) They are under no conrtact to do so. If a buyer is thowring his recent "gift upgrade" from me on ebay, I stop thinking of his as a collector and treat him as a dealer. (i.e will not get first shot on upgrade potentials)

Perhaps I should let it die, but I still cannot get over these two paragraphs. It still shocks me to read them.

1. Everyone except Shylock had already forgotten about his thread on the coin, concurrent with the news of Mr. Snow's injury.
    2. The poor taste of thanking everyone for their support and then trashing Shylock in the same breath.
    3. The lack of (public) outrage from forum members re: #2.
    4. The BS about the "gift upgrade".
    5. Calling Shylock "stupid"
    6. "My intention on selling..." was to make a profit, pure and simple, just like it is on this second go around.
    7. If I were a customer of Mr. Snow and had read this tirade, I would no longer be. If I were considering doing IHCs with Mr. Snow, it would have stopped me dead in my tracks. Heck, it makes me squeamish about collecting coins at all.

This dubious pain medication excuse, which could have been legit, no longer applies. As far as I am concerned, Mr. Snow could have come back and apologized, set the record straight, etc.

There is a lot of bitterness. I do not approve of the shot at mgoodm3--IMO, totally uncalled for. I do feel like the forum let Shylock out to dry, and I certainly understand the source for the bitterness. I apologize to Paul if I was not supportive enough. In my book, it is okay to diss a coin (they don't have feelings), but you should think hard and have a good reason before you slam a person.
  • Options
    Don't know the story here but.....

I'll back up Shylock... he's allways answered my IHC questions, and been nice on the forums to me.

I don't know rick snow.
  • Options

<< <i>Regardless of how big or well known a dealer is in the business has nothing to do with whether one gets a fair shake or a real value from them........................ Doesn't matter if they write fancy columns or books, or what have you.
    But it always seems it's a big issue to question a "biggie" rather than a little fish....something I just don't quite get......................
    roadrunner >>

• Options
    lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    Paul:

My eyes turned to saucers every time I saw mgood3 post a picture. I thought they were amazing, and no matter what the coin, I really enjoyed JUST FOR FUN looking at his pics. I searched mgood3 to see all his posts, hoping to see pics.

I knew you were an excellent copper photographer. I wanted someone to take pics of my coins. You and I even briefly e-mailed for you to maybe take pics of my stuff. I used Dr. Goodman, because he was excellent also, but also because he was BORED and wanted some fresh material to take pics of. He has a passion for coins and photography, and wants to share it with everyone else.

I will always defend Rick because he has saved me a TON OF MONEY with his advice, and even made me some with his advice. Whenever I called him, even though for a long time I bought nothing from him, he spent a ton of time sharing with me his expertise. I finally at FUN 2005 bought a bunch of IHC from him.

Maybe I will not post as much anymore. But I have had a lot of e-mails from members that really liked what I said, and even liked the stories of auction experiences.

BTW, Mark took a picture of one of my coins, a 1916 MS67RD, and I posted the pic on the thread "favorite coin but not the most valuable", (or something like it) and THREE FORUM MEMBERS e-mailed me and wanted to know how I took such an incredible pic.

I told them a radiologist hanging out in Oregon, who loves coins, took it.

• Options
    I agree that mgoodm3 took incredible coin pics and always love to see them. Nothing negative about his pics, ever.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    There once was a time, when coin collecting was fun. image
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There once was a time, when coin collecting was fun. image >>

Lucy, I so agree with you on what you say and the emotion I know you say it in. image

I still look for it to be fun, but it saddens me to see the politics and hot-headed emotions like this.
    I see it from strangers on the board (strangers to me) and people I know on the board.

I've gotten into issues with people on the board, but NEVER, that I can remember, about a coin. As someone said, coins do not have feelings!
    I try to keep the fun in my coins, for myself and my son as he grows, so that he can appreciate an enjoy the COINS themselves.

As for the pictures, Mark (MGoodm3), you reponded to that very rationally, and I have also been one to enjoy your photos. Many people take good photos.
    Most don't care if others like them or not, but I am sure that most like to hear they are appreciated.

Too many egos floating around out here. Egos are the things that make for the most blow-ups.
    Too bad that egos couldn't be checked "at the door" on the way to the forum image

I'm not going to come out against Rick or Paul on this thread, or any other current thread. Their fight is not my fight. I don't know either one.
    But, that doesn't mean I am not saddened by all that is/has been going on.

Good luck, good morning, good night....to all.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Greedy dealers, greedy jeolous collectors, money, lies, money, upgrades.......This whole thread is gross.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    Ryk you sure seem to follow the Legend band wagon pretty close

I support those who go out of their way to be especially kind and fair to me, like Legend and Shylock. Don't you? And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
  • Options
    I'm sorry for today's comment, but sometimes you gotta speak your mind. Let get back to coins.
  • Options

<< <i>......................... Let get back to coins. >>

COIN IT IS.image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great coin. Tons of history!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There once was a time, when coin collecting was fun. image >>

It's still fun for me. When it stops being fun its time to take a break from the hobby.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I forgot to add that I also like and support mgoodm3 and was disappointed that he ended up in the crossfire. He is a nice person and is always an upbeat and positive influence on these boards. I am hoping that he will give me a job someday, too. image

Agree, let's get back to coins:

Nice, Fugio, ER. image
  • Options
    Some of Marks pics of my stuff: Back to coins!!!

• Options
    Lloyd,

Can you send me some money? Welfare check came up a little short this month.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all of those coins are nice, but man what a nice 22 Lincoln. That is one sharp 22 with hints of original red, not like the worked over/recolored jobs recently seen at auction??
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lloyd:

Where are the 1933, 1955, 1966, 1977, 1988, 1999 and 2000 cents????

Of course you need to the 1955 DDO cent while you are at it.image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    OK Oreville, smarty.

I have a 67rd 1933, and 65rd 55, just havent gotten all of them to Mark yet. No moderns, so 66,77,88, 99 aint gonna happen!

Russ, seems to me you have been profiting handsomely with your expertise. Can you skip one month's check?image

Laura, Going to the Pistons game for Fathers day. Motorcross a distant second...

• Options
    Jdimmick:

PCGS 64BROWN (Strong Rev). Courtesy Andy Skrabalek. WAS 64RB, then went to NGC, they gave it 64BN, then went back to PCGS, as a BROWN. Previous owner probably wasnt too thrilled of the color drop! ID # 211 when PCGS was "rumored" to be toughest with grades. (Tough grading at PCGS - ever heard that one before??)

• Options
    LM,

I think Mark screwed up the white balance or something on that 1944 1c. image
  • Options
    Shylock; I agree that Rick could, should have and probably would have handled things differently had he not gone through his difficult ordeal.

But there is hope for both of you. He is a gentleman and if you guys can work things out he will treat you like gold, uh copper/bronze. Go forward together.

I have seen dealers watch with amazement as collectors buying their coins get upgrades worth fortunes as well as the other way around.

As far as our "tepid" responses, do understand that many of us are probably not affixed to these threads and for myself, missed much of what was going on here until I finally read such threads today.

• Options
    Looks like we need to take up a collection for Lloyd!

Who wants to help me find a 1966, 1977, 1988, 1999 and 2000 cent for him?image

Maybe we could ask homerunhall to make a special slab called "no cent moderns allowed!" for lloyd!
  • Options
    Looks like we need to take up a collection for Lloyd!

I will match Russ' contribution.
  • Options
    I'll contribute a penny.image
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Lloyd,

I recognize your 1864 with L proof IHC, its a nice coin! Rick and I owned it in the mid 1990's.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like we need to take up a collection for Lloyd!

I will match Russ' contribution. >>

That was pretty safe.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Shylock; I agree that Rick could, should have and probably would have handled things differently had he not gone through his difficult ordeal.

But there is hope for both of you. He is a gentleman and if you guys can work things out he will treat you like gold, uh copper/bronze. Go forward together.

Oreville: I appreciate your thoughtful reply but Rick's a shrewd coin dealer who knows his craft. He posts here when it suits him. One thing I've developed a knack for, as many forum members have, is a feel for the motives of dealers who post. Unfortunately many dealers come on board only when it suits them, the same way a free Coin World ad would attract them. Otherwise they can't be bothered.

Let me beat a dead horse one more time. Compare these facts to Rick's posts:

He alludes that he did me a favor by selling me this coin to begin with. It was listed in his inventory at a 300% markup. I bought it straight off his inventory. I'm still trying to imagine his regret about that. He's no dummy, he would have sent it straight in for uprade before taking the trouble to photo and post it on his site if his regret is genuine. This rings very untrue.

He posts about his regret about me not offering it back to him. Rick use to Photoseal ICG coins before he realized they were pissing their reputation away in modern high grades. Not his fault, all the ICG IH's I've seen Rick PS have been dead on. But my experience trying to sell two rare date ICG Photosealed coins back to him were not pleasant experiences. The last person I thought about offering this ANACS coin back to was Rick -- I could only imagine the "new" problems this coin had acquired.

I have no problem with dealers trying to squeeze maximum profit from their consignments. If I had coins to sell those are the type of dealers I'd consign them to. But when they go out of their way to misrepresent their coins -- and transactions -- on the forum I take that personally. That's what drove me nuts about this 1859/1859. It had little to do with the stupid coin and a lot to do with the poor display of human nature that resulted from it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file