Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The myth of milk spotting.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
A lot of members around here seem to think that milk spots develop on a coin because of an improper dip or conservation attempt. This is NOT what causes them. A bad dip will emerge either as water spotting - which is not the same thing as milk spots - or as brown toning, or golden toning. This toning can be streaky or uniform. Water spotting is translucent and can be corrected, milk spots are opaque and generally cannot be corrected.

The milk spotting can happen while coins are still in mint sealed sets, or it can emerge on the coins after a period of time once removed from the sets. The nature of the spotting is the same in either case, which makes it logically clear that it is related to mint produced surface contaminants.

No coin I have dipped or had conserved at NCS has ever had these spots emerge after holdering. Plenty of undipped examples have.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Some of my proof sets I've had for years are developing milk spots.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    There has also been plenty of discussion about the milk spots resulting from an incomplete rinse following the planchet wash at the MINT. So it is possible this results from activity at the mint. On thing is for sure it does not come from dipping.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options

<< <i>A lot of members around here seem to think that milk spots develop on a coin because of an improper dip or conservation attempt. This is NOT what causes them. A bad dip will emerge either as water spotting - which is not the same thing as milk spots - or as brown toning, or golden toning. This toning can be streaky or uniform. Water spotting is translucent and can be corrected, milk spots are opaque and generally cannot be corrected.

The milk spotting can happen while coins are still in mint sealed sets, or it can emerge on the coins after a period of time once removed from the sets. The nature of the spotting is the same in either case, which makes it logically clear that it is related to mint produced surface contaminants.

No coin I have dipped or had conserved at NCS has ever had these spots emerge after holdering. Plenty of undipped examples have.

Russ, NCNE >>

Thank you Mr Russ, now I fully understand.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a proof Kennedy half with an AWFUL milk spot just below the part in his hair. I have tried EVERYTHING. What else can I try?

• Options
    Russ, Do you rinse with distilled water after dipping and do you use acetone at any point during coin prep?
  • Options
    Can NCS remove those thick milk spots off of proof coins? No dip I have ever done has been able to touch them.
  • Options
    I only use acetone for PVC removal and, yes, I use distilled water as part of the process.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Can NCS remove those thick milk spots off of proof coins? >>

No, but they sometimes can reduce them enough to make a difference in grade and eye appeal. I wish I knew how, because I've never been able to make a dent in them.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Russ, do you have any pics on your drive of coins showing milk spots and coins showing water spots so some here who may not know the difference can see the difference.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Just an observation here: It sometimes amazes me how much information/effort Russ contributes to this forum. This thread is yet another example of that. THANKS Russ!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Russ, do you have any pics on your drive of coins showing milk spots and coins showing water spots >>

These are milk spots:

I don't have any pictures of water spotting handy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Can someone post a pic of milk spots ?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    I wish I had a cheap milk spotted coin to take to work and get a chem analysis on an EDS/EDX SEM.
    Might be quicker than some genuis hired by PCGS.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    We hit enter at the same time. Thanks
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>I have a proof Kennedy half with an AWFUL milk spot just below the part in his hair. I have tried EVERYTHING. What else can I try? >>

I'll tell you the secret to removing it, but you must promise not to tell anyone.
    Use a #2 pencil eraser and rub the spot with it. It will actually "erase" the milk spot.
    Please do't tell anyone this secret. The number of proof 70's created will over saturate the market if too many people learn this technique.

Ray
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Russ, I am used to seeing milk spotting on coins like your second example, but that first coin really got a double dose. Looks like they were both nice coins once-BUMMER.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Here's another example from one of my early (pre-dipping) submissions:

That coin was spot free and pristine when it went in. Six months later, that's what it looked like.

<< <i>but that first coin really got a double dose. >>

That one came from the proof set looking like that. Unfortunately, it's a very common problem with the Accented Hair variety - much more so than the regular coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had a cheap milk spotted coin to take to work and get a chem analysis on an EDS/EDX SEM.

Careful. Steve Appleton has been known to lurk here. (For those outside of Boise,
    he's the CEO of a huge semi-conductor manufacturing company and nolimitz's boss.)

Milk spots remind me of some biology experiments involving Petri dishes and bacteria.
    It's odd how these nasty little things show up once they are re-exposed to air.
  • Options
    But if I dip my coins, won't the Rainbow toning come off my Morgans?image
    ANA 1197201
    Vietnam Vet 69-70 - Semper Fi
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great discussion.

So what is the haze that invades lots of cam proofs, like this one? Is it the same problem of planchet prep?

(Edited to add: the haze has formed in the original Mint packaging)

• Options

<< <i>So what is the haze that invades lots of cam proofs, like this one? Is it the same problem of planchet prep? >>

It could be prep, but it could also be a packaging issue. If you store a proof coin in a vinyl flip it can sometimes develop haze very similar to that encountered in coins still in sets. That type of problem is easily correctable, though.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So what is the haze that invades lots of cam proofs, like this one? Is it the same problem of planchet prep? >>

It could be prep, but it could also be a packaging issue. If you store a proof coin in a vinyl flip it can sometimes develop haze very similar to that encountered in coins still in sets. That type of problem is easily correctable, though.

Russ, NCNE >>

So how would one correct a problem of haze like you discussed? I have several proof cons which have haze but are otherwise great coins? Thanks, Walt
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Here`s a couple Brown Ikes I have. One has really nice tone and the other heavy hazing.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent post Russ!
    You did a great job of explaining milk spots - your explanation fits my experience exactly.

I am going to look for a milk spotted coin to donate to nolimitz for analysis. Knowing what the spots are is the first step in determining a possible removal process. (the only milk spotted coin I have is cooped up in a 59 Franklin holder in 5 ultracam). I seem to remember reading somewhere that milk spots are thought to be cream of tarter that was used in planchet processing.

I ran into a run of light cameo 1962 Franklins with lots of spotting - some were milk spots. I did an experiment and I am happy to report that NCS was successful in removing most of the spotting, but not all. This did improve the eye appeal of the coins quite significantly.
    Cameonut

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With regard to haze, I have been successful in removing it with MS70. I cut the MS70 with three parts of water because it is too strong straight from the bottle. Get a set of those blue plastic tongs to hold the coin as the MS70 solution is very slippery - you stand a good chance of dropping the coin. Apply the solution very carefully with a cotton swap. Use very light pressure to remove the haze and rinse extremely well. If you do not rinse well, the trace MS70 will re-haze the coin in time.

Keep in mind the MS 70 may also remove light toning as well.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milk Spots are for the most part impossible to remove totally because they are essentially a part of the coins surface. a more correct term to describe them and to help others understand their nature might be "struck through" since they seem to be the result of an improper rinse at the point of planchet preperation. since there is a film on the planchet surface when the planchet is struck, it becomes embedded in the surface. this was primarily a problem with Proof coins and seemed to end in the early 1970's when the mint made some much needed improvements to their process and QA. dipping and/or conservation by NCS can greatly minimize milk spots, but there is usually a "shadow" left or a faintly visible remnant.

dpoole---------the haze on that Ike is a result of the packaging used by the Mint. very common, happenbs to form on almost all of the coins left in the original packaging.
  • Options

<< <i>No coin I have dipped or had conserved at NCS has ever had these spots emerge after holdering. Plenty of undipped examples have.

Russ, NCNE >>

This is what I meant by "improperly conserved" when I posted in the other thread about the spotted ASEs. Given the risk of milk spots appearing on any proof coin, it seems to me that ALL proof coins taken out of mint packaging should be conserved (i.e. dipped) before submitting.
  • Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    Keets provided the correct information - thanks Al.

I've had milk spots worked on by NCS for a business strike commem. They were able to reduce the spots but not remove them, and there were clearly minor flaws left in the surface of the coin. It made the coin a bit more eye appealing, which was worth it to me, but the experience demonstrated clearly to me the struck-through nature of the spots.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great thread and discussion! Even though it sounds as though I've expereinced irrepairable damage to 40% of my slabbed SAE set, the information I've gotten has helped to offset that loss. Thanks again!
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>The milk spotting can happen while coins are still in mint sealed sets, or it can emerge on the coins after a period of time once removed from the sets. >>

Emerge is the correct word. Milk spots are a mint created imperfections caused by contaminants on the planchet after being cleaned and rinsed. The contaminants aren't completely rinsed away and are subsequently struck into the coin. They're permanent and cannot be rinsed away with a dip.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A bad dip will emerge either as water spotting - which is not the same thing as milk spots - or as brown toning, or golden toning. This toning can be streaky or uniform. >>

It's worth noting that streaky toning DOES NOT always mean the coin was dipped. Poor alloy mix can sometimes be seen as streaky brown or gold toning as well.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    More ugly milk spots.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of members around here seem to think that milk spots develop on a coin because of an improper dip or conservation attempt. This is NOT what causes them. A bad dip will emerge either as water spotting - which is not the same thing as milk spots - or as brown toning, or golden toning. This toning can be streaky or uniform. Water spotting is translucent and can be corrected, milk spots are opaque and generally cannot be corrected.

Russ, NCNE >>

Very good post Russ, thanks for taking the time to set the record straight. For those of us not versed in the differences between milk spotting, water spotting, and the like, do you have a few pictures that might illustrate the point? Thanks again...Mike

[edited to add, I see someone in the thread already asked the question. image ]
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I will say one thing only about dipping coins.

It's not right for the top company to miss a cleaning/altered coin. That's why it's hard to believe that this practice is allowed.

As I have asked many questions before about how to clean coins properly this would be just for my own collection. Not to clean a coin to be slabbed and maybe it is someone else's problem of spotting down the line. It's not right.

As anything else in life there are no gurantees but to clean coins post mint processes and submit again it's not right.

Lastly as I have over 1000 ASE's and many other 1000's of coins fresh from the mint I have nevered experienced a milk spotting effect just natural or metal alloy failure of toning.

I am learning more and more about the game and it seems you have to be on top of the best also or your money can be worth the same amount before you got it nothing.
  • Options

<< <i>The nature of the spotting is the same in either case, which makes it logically clear that it is related to mint produced surface contaminants.
    Russ, NCNE >>

I read somewhere, long, long ago, that the spotting was due to the wash the planchets received before being struck. Some of the coins apparently don't get rinsed thoroughly and the rinse residue is actually struck into the coin.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    Wow, freaky. I didn't realize this was an old thread. At least both my replies, over three years apart, were consistent! image

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I think there is a general misunderstanding as to what a milk spot looks like.

I once thought they were the white milky blotches so common on ASEs. It turns out, this is from improper cleaning.

I have an ASE that I got from Becoka. It has a darkish spot on it. It looks like a hole has been drilled into the coin. It is a corrosion pit, a dark shiny spot that has eaten into the coin surface and made a visible, yet small depression. Not a surface effect; a deep defect and it appears to slowly chew its way deeper. I am told that _this_ is a milk spot. But it looks nothing like milk for sure. It looks more like someone took a punch to the coin and made a dirty hole.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's not right for the top company to miss a cleaning/altered coin. That's why it's hard to believe that this practice is allowed."

Most dipping, of a non-corrosive nature (i.e. alcohol, acetone) is not considered cleaning and unless improperly rinsed/dried can NEVER be detected. Period. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    This seems to happen a lot with 58-d franklins from mint sets. I'm sure it happens to other dates/mm.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased this NGC ASE spot free, and stayed that way for years, then out of the blue, milk spots.

I have two other 96's with the same ugly milking, despite being in Intercept Shields.

The acetone, distilled water, pat dry routine seems to work. None of my 20th Ann. sets are milking, after this method.

Could be pure coincidence, at least it gives me piece of mind.

Eagle was a nice, till I was milked. image

Scott

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file