Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you have any other hobby passions, or is it COINS only

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
Not to get off the subject of coins for more than a minute, I'm just curious what some other hobby passions some of you may have, currency?, comics?, dolls?, exotic cars?image, or is it coins and only coins? I also collect these...

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I like lots of other things, too. But 90% of the money for hobbies goes into coins.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Mountain biking.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Travel image
  • Options
    I like to learn more calculus, numismatics, collecting coins (numismatics), learning japanese, and playing video games. I'm 17. but right now I dont have enough money to buy coins, I'm saving up to go to tokyo for my graduation.
  • Options
    RotatedRainbowsRotatedRainbows Posts: 2,085 ✭✭
    Cars,cars and more cars!!!

• Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    mountain bike racing
    BMX mostly park+street
    Cars - esp. car audio/video
    oakleys - don't know if its really considered a hobby but i own about 20 pair of oakleys as of right now.
  • Options
    tlhoytlhoy Posts: 2,204
    I collect beer mirrors.

• Options

<< <i>Cars,cars and more cars!!!

image >>

NICE!!!image
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Home theater/home audio- guitar/writing music- video games with my wife- pittsburgh steelers.............. image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend some time on my Fender strat making noise.....I hope to someday make music. image

|
    |/
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

White House Easter

White House Easter eggs and related memorabilia from the annual White House Easter egg roll. President Reagan started giving the kids wooden eggs back in the 1980's. In 1987 these White House Easter eggs were first printed with a design. Each year the design and colors have been different.

The different designs of White House Easter eggs

I do not have a complete set but I do have several relatively scarce and rare issues, including one of only a few eggs on which Socks (President Clinton's WH cat) paw was inked to 'autograph' the egg.

Enjoy!

KJ

• Options

<< <i>Home theater/home audio- guitar/writing music- video games with my wife- pittsburgh steelers.............. image >>

image I have a signed 8x10 of the "Steel Curtain" from the '70's. They were IT!!!image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

image >>

Wow! image

Hope you don't plan on slabbing that Gem!

Tomimage
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some baseball autographs. I used to collect comics but coins I think are more addicting.
  • Options

<< <i>I used to collect comics but coins I think are more addicting. >>

I'm beginning to realize this!image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photography & Painting & Drawing are becoming my main hobbies. Coin collecting is slipping. I no longer want to own any expensive numismatic items.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I have a signed 8x10 of the "Steel Curtain" from the '70's. They were IT!!!

Nice! Sounds like a possible giveaway to me! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>I have a signed 8x10 of the "Steel Curtain" from the '70's. They were IT!!!

Nice! Sounds like a possible giveaway to me! image >>

TBD...image
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    GOLF, AND SEX AND NOT IN THAT ORDER
  • Options
    Fishing and Golf
  • Options
    Deer hunting and golf.

• Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Photograhpy:

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    RotatedRainbowsRotatedRainbows Posts: 2,085 ✭✭

Wow! image

Hope you don't plan on slabbing that Gem!

Tomimage >>

Naw, if it was slabbed you could not drive it and that beast was built to be driven!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Photograhpy:

image >>

Gorgeous photos of gorgeous people!image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like:
    stamps
    astronomy
    mushroom photography and identification
    nature photography in general
    mountain biking
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is my real passion, tarpon fishing:

Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    It's not limited to just beauitful woman:

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin collecting would be the "biggie", but I also play guitar, I enjoy photography but I'm not real good at it, and I read ... a lot !!!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Baseball cards
    Comics
    Stamps
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    My main passion in life is spending money so there are lots of things I have done and would like to do. Unfortunately, I don't make enough money ( even though I make 5X what I made in my previous job ), so I have to pick and choose what to blow the cash on.

I currently have interests in Coins, Currency, Comics, Cards ( both Sports & Non-Sports ), Cars ( will I EVER restore that 55 Chevy Bel-Air 2dr HT ? ), and travel ( thinking about a 16' Airstream to pull behind my new Jeep Liberty Diesel I just got image ). The last week of July I'm hoping to take a trip to see Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone ( not planning on having the Airstream by then ). On the other hand, maybe a trip up to New Hampshire, Vermont, etc would be more reasonable given that I'll only have one week (I live in Delaware ). I could then make a stop in Cooperstown NY to see the Baseball Hall of Fame.image
  • Options
    Coins are my main focus but like many others here I play guitar and write music. I also recently built a foundry in my back yard and find myself devoting more and more time to making castings.
  • Options
    Gardening, camping, hiking, fishing, arts and crafts.
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Those are some really good photos stev32k. Music and Music History I consider my main hobby and coins my secondary. I don`t have the time like I use too with the music. Still, I try to keep up on it as much as I can.
  • Options
    Aviation. I own a pilot supply shop and love it.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a lifelong pigeon flyer (Birmingham Rollers, a performing breed), I like to fish (mostly Bass), I show and drag race a '72 Duster at times (5 to 10 times a season), and I play some on the computer and like to bowl as well. My wife says I'm a professional hobbiest <Grin>. Maybe so, but I'm never bored and usually broke!!

Peteimage
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    from sellsatan

<< <i>Coins are my main focus but like many others here I play guitar and write music. I also recently built a foundry in my back yard and find myself devoting more and more time to making castings.

A Foundry ! Wow, that's really cool !

Many times I've thought I'd like to cast a statue or two. Maybe if I live another 150 years I'll actually get around to it.

I think my main inspiration in thinking about casting statues was the time I saw a pic of Augustus St Gaudens " Diana " statue. Would really like to own a copy of that but probably would need to cast it myself in order to afford it.

* Note - I just did a web search trying to find a picture of "Diana" and learned many new things. First, "Diana" was originally a weathervane atop Madison Square Gardens in NYC. It is now in the Art Museum in Philadelphia.

I work 3rd shift in Newark, DE so one morning after work, soon, I'm going to drive the 40 miles up to the museum and check out the original Diana. No need to cast your own when the original is just a short drive away. Wow, this makes my day !image
  • Options
    Currency and modern sportscards.
  • Options
    Since I'm a musician, my job is a hobby that I get paid for, but hiking is my other hobby. Great Smokies and NH White Mountains are my playground!
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what life is all about...That's m'boat...
    I'm afraid to say that I'd give up coins before I give up sailing.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Collecting antique tube radios, from a working 1906 Marconi to to the finest known Model 51 Addison of only 3 known to exist.

Growing vegetables, tomatoes in particular and sailing.

Only two things that money can't buy and that's true love and home grown tomatoes.

Don't ask how many radios I have, I don't know anymore, but I'm going to need a larger home very soon.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    First Strike: If you want to cast a statue of any kind you will need to build a much, much larger foundry that I have. Mine runs on charcoal and cost me about $35 to set up. I can melt aluminum, pot metal (not exactly sure what "pot metal" is) and silver. So far my castings are horrible, but I will improve. I hope to knock out some belt buckles and tokens eventually.

Get picks of Diana so we can all gawk when you go. How 'bout it?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a small spot in my heart for aviation image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>There's a small spot in my heart for aviation image >>

If you can fly like you can photograph a coin, you would be flying the new F-22 Raptor with easeimage
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few pics I've done...

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I collect comic books, toys, stamps but not as much as do coins now. I am an avid gardener so I also collect plants so to speak with over 200 shrubs, perrenials, trees, bulbs. I funneled a lot of money to get my garden where I like it now and besides I have no where else to plant. Give me a few acres more and I would spend my lifetime filling it will plants and flowers.
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Though not as serious as I've been in the past, I am a casual Magic: The Gathering player image I have a decent casual 5-Color deck (That's a 250 card deck format, where normal formats are usually 60 cards) that is worth about $600 image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bowling. My sanctioned average this past season was 214.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuff like this.

Larry

• Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Well, well, well. Where do I begin? image Currently, my main hobby is the game of Texas Hold'Em. My success in that endeavour has allowed me to finish up and pursue my other hobbies. (This past year has been GREAT for me with the cards. I've made enough money to finish some things that I never thought I'd be able to finish). I am also currently an avid golfer, and while I'm pretty bad at it, I can definitely sense improvement each time I go out on the course. (I typically take 10 strokes off of my game each time I golf, so that kind of tells ya how bad I've been. lol). As for collections, as younger individual I collected comic books for a while and have put together a pretty nice set of Amazing/Web of/Spectactular/Spiderman comic books. Nothing really worth a TON of money, but I do have some books from the 1960's and various other 'key issues'. I haven't bought any comic books in about ten years, however, as I just really lost interest in it. Still, I am unable to part with the books so they are taking up some space for me.

A collection I've recently finished is my baseball card collection. My goal was to put together a complete set of Topps baseball cards from my year of birth (1980) up to the present. This past week I finally completed that set and am working on filling out the Topps Traded version of that set. I just need the traded sets from the year 1992 on up to complete that one. Each year I pick up the newly released factory sets and will now try and pick up the traded/extended sets as well.

For coins, I have a complete collection of Roosevelt Dimes which will be complete up through this year (proofs included) once I get the 2005-S Silver Proof coin. I'm also working on putting together a set of coins from the year 1880, as well as other 'modern coinage'. I will admit, however, they my interest in my coin collecting has waned a bit as I've kind of already bought all the 'inexpensive' coins and only have the high priced, 'not easy to find' coins left.

My final hobby, which is mentioned in my signature below, is my element collection. As a person with a background in chemistry, it was only fitting that I put together a collection of the elements on the periodic table. I have a sample of every single element (Including fluorine gas) that has a stable isotope. I even have a sample of pure uranium metal as well. Over the past few years, I've slowly been upgrading parts of my collection and it's something that I'm very happy with. I have a picture of it uploaded at a website I work for (www.chemicalforums.com). My photos have been used by numerous websites across the internet and I am routinely being asked if my photos could be used for projects people are doing. I've even been contacted by a publishing company which is putting out a General Chemistry Textbook later this year. They want to use at least one of my photos and wanted to get my permission to use it. From what they're telling me, the authors are ecstatic with the samples and photos I've taken and happy to be able to use it.

So that's about it for me. Time to go clean those golf clubs. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    My only other passion is playing the violin.image
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file