Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which would be worth more: 1964 Peace Dollar or 1974 Aluminum Cent?

Assuming both were legal to own and were the same grade (say, for the sake of argument, MS66).
I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Peace Dollar. The Lincoln is modern crap.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace Dollar. The Lincoln is modern crap.

Correction. Both are modern crap, so who cares. image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    I'll take both modern crap.
  • Options
    I'd have to say the Peace dollar. With a date of 1964 wouldn't that be modern crap also?imageimage
  • Options
    I don't know? What will ya give me for it ?

• Options
    Okay, the Peace Dollar because it's prettier modern crap.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace dollar. More dollar collectors with big money to spend.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ddinkddink Posts: 2,748

<< <i>I don't know? What will ya give me for it ? >>

5-10..............years.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ddinkddink Posts: 2,748
    FWIW my vote would be the '64 since it resurrected an old design.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I don't know, but this looks like a great candidate to replace the Walker on the current SAE.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the 1964 Peace Dollar hands down. It's got a much better story, and it's a far more attractive coin.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The peace dollar would definitely have a broader base of demand and some very well heeled
    collectors seeking it. The cent has nearly as much publicity and the advantage of being the only
    coin intended for circulation made of aluminum. It would probably get more spirited bidding
    but would likely fall well short of the peace dollar.

While the peace dollar would probably bring two or three million the cent might bring anywhere
    from half a million to five million. ...and probably toward the low side.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Peace dollar, since it is silver and since it has a design from a by gone era.

Further, it would be more valuable because it is the older coin (the older a coin is the more valuable it is right?). Further, it would be more valuable because of its face value (100 times more valuable). Further, even if the coins are illegal and thus not capable of private ownership, the dollar would still be more valuable because of its weight and because of its precious metal content (silver vs. copper).
  • Options
    What's the story for these coins, just for us new kids in town?
  • Options

<< <i>(the older a coin is the more valuable it is right?) >>

This one's over 200 years old:

How much can I get for it?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Cmon, everyone knows a dollar is worth more than a cent!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    I suppose it would all come down to which one was awarded more registry points.
  • Options
    I agree with SanctionII. Peace dollar all the way!!!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I collect Lincoln cents and I'd still rather have the Peace Dollar. Legal or otherwise.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Aluminum is cheap and abundant. Lincoln's are neat but the Peace dollar wins hands down.
  • Options
    Aluminum is a really lousy coinage metal. The coins look and feel cheap, and it is a poor reflection on the issuing country IMO.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The peace dollar by a factor of at least 5. The uniqueness and attractiveness of the date far exceeds the different metal for the cent. And the story [which is what brings the big bucks] is much more interesting.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    The 64-D Peace Dollar, I would own one, If it were legal ! image

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Well we know the cent is out there but nobody
    has confirmed a siting of the peace dollar. so the dollar would win
    hands down unless Steward was biddingimage
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are supposedly dozens of those cents still out there. As far as the Peace dollar goes how many? 1? 2? but probably not dozens. It's not a pattern or an off metal strike, and it would be needed to complete the Peace dollar regular set. I'd say the Peace by 10X. If one were offered up legally, probably $1 million or more.
    The cent? $100K.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>There are supposedly dozens of those cents still out there >>

Eight to fourteen is the number that most people believe are still extant.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    No question, the 1964 peace. But my 2004 pocket peace might be even better.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64 Peace dollar, by a mile. Easy.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    While I personally would want the Peace Dollar (like many of you) I think you may be underestimating the ARMY of Lincoln collectors out there.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have the 1964 Franklin half dollar.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This one's over 200 years old:

How much can I get for it?

Russ, NCNE >>

Depends. Is it RARE L@@K FROM ESTATE with you denying knowing anything about it but inferring its rarity through its appearance?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll stick to the dozens to err on the conservative side since no one really knows....or is not saying. The peace dollar isn't even known for sure to exist.

I'm assuming the Peace Dollar is in silver. Had they made it in clad, it's value would be half or less of an identical silver coin.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace $
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace dollar by a long-shot as a regular part of the series. The aluminum Lincoln cent would be relegated to "pattern" status and be cheaper than a genuine copper 1943 cent.

Had the entire mintage of each coin been released, the 64-D dollars would have seen circulation to the extent that 64 Kennedys did (i.e., not much). Most would have been snapped up by collectors and dealers. Of the 300,000+, many would now be certified, and the population in MS66 would be in the thousands. It would be the second lowest mintage of the series, but would have the highest population in BU. $150 in MS63, $400 in 65, $700 in 66, $5000 in 67. Had the full run of aluminum cents been made available to the public after the experiment, they couldn't have been circulated (wouldn't have worked in gumball machines and would probably muck up other counting machines), they'd have had to have been sold as collectibles and would be worth about $6 each today in MS66, $11.50 in MS67.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the story for these coins, just for us new kids in town? >>

The 1964-D Peace dollar was minted (over 300,000 were made) but before they could be released, they were melted down. There are rumors that a few escaped the melting pot, but if one appeared publicly it would probably be confiscated. I asked Walter Breen at the 1986 ANA if he thought any were out there and he said yes. What I should have asked him is whether he had seen one himself. People believe that some are out there but of course no one can publicly admit it.

The 1974 aluminum cent was made when the Mint was proposing to change from copper cents. A number of them were handed out to members of Congress and not all were returned. These absolutely do exist (in fact, some board members here got to see one in person a while ago) but the same fear of confiscation exists, so they aren't advertised publicly.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1964-D Peace Dollar-----if one appeared publicly it would probably be confiscated.
    1974 Aluminum Cent-----the same fear of confiscation exists, so they aren't advertised publicly.

1913 Liberty Nickel-----when they appear they sell for millions................and dominate the front page of numismatic rags and chat rooms.

lovely to see the ol' American double standard at work, ain't it?? ironically, many of the classic coins which receive glittering write ups in the auction catalogs and big bids before the hammer hits are clandestine issues from The Midnight Mint....................and moderns get denigrated, go figure!!!
  • Options
    IMO, if Breen says it exists, it exists.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add my name to the list: 1964 peace dollar without a doubt!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a statute of limitations on the 1964 Peace dollar and similar creations?

In the eyes of the law, is a 1964 Peace dollar difference from a 1913 nickel, apart from the passage of more time?

(By the way, I would personally love to own a 1964 Peace dollar, but have little interest in the aluminum cent)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I would rather have a 64D Peace Dollar without question.

The 74 Aluminum Cent don't do anything for me. Now I would take one if ya forced me to.

As far as value, the Peace Dollar would smoke the Cent.

I would guess around 3 million for a 64 if it popped up.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    The Peace Dollar cuz it's prettier and bigger and silveryer.

I like Peace dollars.
  • Options
    Funny how everyone mentions "modern crap"...1928 Peace Dollars and 1893-S Morgans were "once" called modern "crap" in their day..both coins are unique in their own special ways...but remember...years from now...who will be laughing????. Enjoy the hobby...not the terminology....just MHO...

"There are two types of people in the world. Those that do the work and those that take the credit. Try to be in the first group, there is less competition there" - Ghandi
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    As just a coin? $100,000 if certain it's real. But, if you had the mint employee paperwork that showed they got it legally and didn't return their 2 examples, it gives you a leg to stand on in court, so into 6 figures. Legal--think sky money in MS-66, as in 1913 Liberty. The cent is worth a tiny fraction of that.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    No comments on the "statute of limitations" question?

I really am curious to know - among US coins that have a questionnable history, how does one determine which ones can be legally owned? Will the 1964 Peace dollar be legal 50 years from now?
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    All US Government made coins are legal currency as of November 1965 per the Coinage Act of 1965, unless stolen and timely notice given. Simple.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    Simple statement, but I doubt that the application is simple.

How would you apply this to the 1964-D Peace dollar, and the 1974 aluminum cents?
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. There's not really a statute of limitations.

Essentially the mint has decided some are illegal and has said they'll confiscate
    them even though others which are more likely illegal are given a free pass. Both
    the peace dollar and the aluminum and steel cents (of the same era) are on the
    list. There have been few coins that have gotten off the list.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I believe that what aluminum cents that might exist were stolen by Congressmen who received them as “samples” of a possible new composition for the cent. The only 1964-D silver dollars that escaped did so unofficially. They may have been handed out at face value to some Denver Mint employees as examples of a new coinage. Since no records were kept as to who might have gotten them, the subsequent voluntary recall may not have been totally effective.

Neither of these coins was ever issued officially, and so therefore neither of them can be owned legally by private citizens.

The same could be said for the 1913 Liberty Nickels, but perhaps the horse was out of the barn for too long before the government might have cared. And perhaps some people with political clout owned them, which made them quasi-legal.
  • Options
    It's the Treasury position that coins must be officially issued to be legally owned. However, that is not the law, and Congress under the Constitution has the power to decide via statute whats legal, assuming it's signed by President. The Treasury's legal ideas mean squat. And change every decade. They do have a list of coins they will confiscate, but this is speaking out of both sides of their mouth. What they are really saying is these coins were stolen, and giving notification per the Coinage Act of 1965.

The 1974 cent was not issued, isn't covered by the 1965 Act, hence can not be owned legally. A strong case can be made that any 1964 Peace $1's not returned but issued legally are in fact legal to own, regardless of the adminstration's current interpretation by some backwater legal flunkys in Treasury Solicitor's Office.
    morgannut2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file