Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which would be worth more: 1964 Peace Dollar or 1974 Aluminum Cent?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ddinkddink Posts: 2,748
    I'm assuming the Secret Service would have to get a warrant to steal a coin, wouldn't they?
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136
    Wouldn't the break in years between minting come into play? 1935 to 1964 is a long break. Also, what would be the percentage of silver in a 1964 Peace Dollar. If it were 90% then that would be a lot of silver. If it were anything other than 90% then this one year would have a different composition than all previous years of Peace Dollar. In any arguement I can make, I would have to give the edge to the 1964 Peace Dollar.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm assuming the Secret Service would have to get a warrant to steal a coin, wouldn't they? >>

No. They could just take it since its considered government property. You would have to sue the US government if you want it back.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    There are some claims that a few 1974 aluminum cents DID get issued through legal channels and were found in rolls of cents from the bank. The explaination of how this could happen is that these aluminum cents were stuck inside the presses somewhere after the experimental runs were over. these coins subsequently became dislodged during regular production runs and were mixed in with the normal cents. (I have to wonder if someday some business strike 2000-S dollars will turn up via the same method.)
  • Options

<< <i>No. They could just take it since its considered government property. You would have to sue the US government if you want it back. >>

If I rob a bank, the powers-that-be still have to get a search warrant to get any money I might be storing in my home--even if it's bank property, not mine. Of course, 95% of our government has never even read the Constitution, so I'm not surprised that they haven't heard of the Bill of Rights, either.

P.S. It cracked me up during Clinton's impeachment when someone on the House Judiciary Committee said "Well, even if he is impeached and convicted, he wouldn't necessarily have to leave office." A Congressman said this! Fortunately, one person in the room had actually read the Constitution and corrected the gentleman.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Angelo - you might also enjoy this thread....
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1964 Peace is unconfirmed. I think the existence of 1974 Al cents is confirmed.

I think it would be kind of sad if a 1964 Peace showed up. It would ruin the mystery and what's life without some mysteries.

I prefer things the way they are now over legalization since it would become just yet another rare coin.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say the peace dollar is worth at least 10 times - if not 20 times - the value of the aluminum cent.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say the peace dollar is worth at least 10 times - if not 20 times - the value of the aluminum cent. >>

Easily.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1964-D Peace dollar, by far, is worth more than the 1974 aluminum cent. The cent wouldn't bring more than $100K at auction, and the dollar would bring at least $1 million. So I won't be buying either of them. imageimage

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    1964 Peace dollar, it'd be truly unique. There's another 74 aluminum in Smithsonian.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    The Peace dollar design was dormant since the depression. The 1974 cent was the same design, however, as a massively produced cuprozinc alloy contemporary coin. The Peace would win, hands down, on that alone. I'd like one of each though, please. MS66 sounds good.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    what ever happened the the 1974 Aluminum cent holdered by ICG anyway?
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what ever happened the the 1974 Aluminum cent holdered by ICG anyway? >>

Crossed to PCGS as a 62. I don't know anything after that.
  • Options

<< <i>Neither of these coins was ever issued officially, and so therefore neither of them can be owned legally by private citizens.

The same could be said for the 1913 Liberty Nickels, but perhaps the horse was out of the barn for too long before the government might have cared. And perhaps some people with political clout owned them, which made them quasi-legal. >>

I have read (but I can't remember where) that the Mint's position on the 1913 Liberty nickels is that the Mint never officially minted them, therefore they could not have possibly been stolen from the Mint and, as such, are legal to own.

Bob
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    PEACE
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file