Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

www.usmint.gov - down down down

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
Either they are having major problems...still.....or they are having their website inundated with orders because I can't even get to it (timeout error).

Good luck to those going for it.

Edited to ask.....anyone have the phone number for them to call? I normally get it from the webpage but,well......image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks!

Of course, calling that I press 1 for placing an order and then get "we are unable to take your call at this time. Please call back later".

Gotta love it imageimageimage

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Called and they are unable to answer your call at this time.
  • Options
    just got on site. trying to sign in now but slow
  • Options
    Thanks Pf70!

I got pas the splash page as well now...but going nowhere fast, so they are working on it or people are finally getting back to work and leaving the site alone.

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't seem to get in
  • Options
    ProofquarterProofquarter Posts: 275 ✭✭

I even went to other pages first then tried buy on line and couldn't get in.

• Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    well, we have to give them time to update the site. at this time everybody try to rush in to order 2005 westward journey nickel and medal set.
    I dunno how fast this price set gonna jump, but I'm now sit on computer minute by minute wait for it. hhihihihihi( sound like idiot)
  • Options
    I got on, but it still says product not availabe. When is it available? I just assumed Eastern standard time.
  • Options
    ok got on site. clicked on the nickel set and it comes up with description and on bottom is says product is unavailable. 12:45 PM EST
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    They recently had a letter published in Coin World that the site is fixed. Marketing fluff. Obviously, when the site and phone lines are put to task on the day of a new product release they still aren't prepared. image
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea what fries me is that you click on the site and get thunder and lighting noises and a stupid tree. image The lighting obviously has nothing to do with the speed of their service. image

All I want to do is order stuff and check when certain sets will become available, but NO I gotta put up with the stupid "thunder tree" and get a frozen board.

I wish we could go back to the old days. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1-800-USA-MINT >>

Tried that:

"We are unable to answer your call"

When will they learn ??????????? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    usmint, they should prepare this before. now the site is down.
  • Options
    The United States Mint is performing system maintenance. During this time period you will not be able to use the website. To place an order please call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Isn't this nice??image
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Getting this message now:

The United States Mint is performing system maintenance. During this time period you will not be able to use the website. To place an order please call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Sorry for the inconvenience.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    Hey, it's the government!

Not doing things well is normal.

The worst experience I ever had was in 1984 when they lost my order for the Olympic set with the $10 gold coin. As part of an Affirmative Action program they turned over the order processing function to a "minority company" that screwed up everything. After repeated phone calls and numerous trips around the governmental daisy chain I finally got a human being who could actually speak English. Most of the people I get on the phone sounded like they only fit for janitorial duties.

The English speaker I finally found explained the situation, and after I talked with him, I finally got my coins. BUT it took over six months, and the phone company made out better than I did with long distance charges. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭
    OK, so how soon before these Nickel sets are up on E-Bay for 10x the cost?

Because you just know that when that web-site comes back up they willl be "SOLD OUT"....image
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    so only 15000 households going to have this set. the price will be double in couple days.
  • Options
    bill, i thought you want to "go back to the old days"
  • Options

<< <i>OK, so how soon before these Nickel sets are up on E-Bay for 10x the cost?

Because you just know that when that web-site comes back up they willl be "SOLD OUT"....image >>

Here's a better way to look at it ...

For $19.95 plus shipping you get 2 nickels, a Sakie dollar, a medel and cardboard box. The total value of that stuff might be $10 with a tailwind. Yes I know that that junk will sell for more on eBay, but it the long run that set will be worth a fraction of what it will be worth now.

As collectors we can live without a lot of this junk that the mint is now marketing. image
  • Options
    Already got mine ordered!! image
  • Options
    what is the s/h charge from the mint?
  • Options

<< <i>bill, i thought you want to "go back to the old days" >>

Yea, in the old days when the site didn't have the tree and thunder storm I could log in a order coins.

Maybe I should revise that to, "I want to go back to 1999." image
  • Options
    I got five, I got five, I got through by phoneimage
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they aren't that serious about customer service or doing business.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Already got mine ordered!! image >>

when did you place your order?

Just wondering if I might ever get in.
  • Options
    the 2004 westward coin and medal set had a mintage of just 25,000 and it is selling now for $65-$75 on ebay

what do you guys think about the 2005 one with a mintage of 75k

i'm guessing $30 to $40... am i wrong?
  • Options
    those whom got their order already, I guess they have a connection in the usmint people. hehehehehehe
  • Options
    I'm just wondering I should keep trying because I might adventually get in.

or is it that nobody is getting in.

• Options
    maybe i'm wrong, at this time on one can order, except those who said they already got it.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    This is very frustrating!image
    I cant even get in by phone.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    i have two internet connections going as well as the phone and still can't get through
  • Options
    I am now on hold
  • Options
    use opition 2 checking on orders they will take ur order there alsoimage
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    The beauracratic mindset never ceases to amaze me.

Here's my adventure with the Mint this morning:

I make my first call @ 10:58 (11:58 ET) and the customer service/sales rep asks to take my order, I say "I would like the Westward Journey Nickel coin and Medal set" he says, "they are not on sale for another 2 minutes", and I say "well, what can we talk about for 2 minutes?, he says, "I'm sorry I cannot do that" and hangs up. Probably missed the opening bell by 30 seconds. image

It takes me another 45 minutes to finally get through and make my order. I ordered the coin and medal set last year at about 11:30am and never got them, it will be interesting to see if I get them this year.

The beauracratic mindset never ceases to amaze me

PS Have they recetly outsourced the phone orders to India? Everytime I order now, I can hardly understand the person taking my order. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options

<< <i>use opition 2 checking on orders they will take ur order there alsoimage >>

Not anymore, just got the 'not able to answer' using option 2.

• Options
    I got mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    try 0 for the opeator it just worked for me
  • Options
    OK, I'm on hold using option 2.

• Options
    ddinkddink Posts: 2,748
    Coinhusker...you should have gotten his name. Call center reps normally get fired for hanging up on customers.

And so it begins on Ebay
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    OK, I got mine via option 2 over the phone.

• Options
    your welcome
  • Options

<< <i>your welcome >>

Yes bbrewski you are the man!! thanks

Plus a Red Wings fan to boot.

GO PISTONS!!!
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    I finally got them ! Only had to call 50 or 60 times.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    The website is working now. Slow, but working.

In any event, I used 1-800-USA-MINT and used option 2 -- only about a 2 minute wait...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Coinhusker...you should have gotten his name. Call center reps normally get fired for hanging up on customers.
    >>

I wish I had. It really bugged me. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I get on the phone and the website at the same time.

It's a duel as to which is slower, after 40 minutes, the checkout screen comes up allowing me to put in my shipping address and credit card info, just as the operator comes on the line to take the order.

I think they had that worked out ahead of time somehow.

Got 5 on order, all back ordered.

Any guesses as to when we'll start seeing these little jewels?
  • Options
    I got 10 already. from website and phone
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Probably using some MS webserver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file