Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does any one carry a pocket piece ??

I may have seen this thread before but couldn't find it.

I wanted a pocket piece for a while, something cool that didn't have alot of numismatic value but that had history and some readable detail and of course that wonderful PINNNNNGGGG sound that only silver can make.
here is my pocket piece I picked up today for $5.00. I like it.

obverse

reverse

Comments

• Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    Your right, there is another thread about this somewhere. I carry a 2002 SAE around.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I used to carry around a Barber half as well, until I lost it last week. I had a thread on it.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    I have a key chain with several coins on it (all holed; one I had to do myself). They range from a half cent to a half dime. I love carrying around history in my pocket. What's really cool is when you're sitting or standing around in a line or something, bored out of your wits, your hobby is in your pocket to check out whenever you'd like!
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry a 1935 Peace Dollar. One of my early learning experiences. I bought it before I knew how to tell if a coin has been cleaned or not.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I have two Morgans and 1886 and an 1880S
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I carry an 1886 Morgan as well.
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    A nice shiney polished Peace dollarimage A reminder of the days before grading services evolved. It's a shame how many collector coins were ruined back then.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    1835 half dollar.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    this one

and I'm going to take an update shot in a few minutes.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I carry a G4 1864 2 cent piece.
    Gary
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    I have several pocket pieces.

I am waiting for them to wear down to a respectable level
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315

<< <i>S&W M36 Chief Special.

Reminds me. Gotta renew this year. >>

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    I carry a relatively boring 1974-s half dollar. It doesn't have any real significance - I just like having a pocket piece. I've carried it for about a year and a half. It began its pocket piece life as a EF and would probably now grade as an F+. My last pocket piece was a 1911 AG Barber quarter. I inadvertantly handed it over to several cashiers during the 2 years I carried it, and they always handed it back, often with a comment about not accepting foreign money. It now resides in my 7 year old son's collection.
  • Options
    GTOsterGTOster Posts: 860 ✭✭✭
    I carry a 1972 Ike a 2000 P Sac
    Paul
  • Options
    1900 Half Eagle.
  • Options
    1942 WLH
    Always looking

MS 1883 Registry Set
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I carry a 1902-O Morgan. Been carrying it since around 1990. Found it in my Grandfathers dresser drawer after the passing of my Grandmother. It is the coin that started it all for me. I cringe at the thought of how much more money I would have today if I didn't find that sucker.image
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    '90-S Morgan, bought as "Gem BU" (dipped slider) from one of those multi-page Coin World guys, back before I knew better. Down to a nice EF now.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a 1935 WLH "spur" keychain.

Pocket Piece Thread
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    I carry an 1826 large cent. It's got G-4 details, but it's bent. I bought it for six dollars. Some of the copper is beginning to show through the brown. image
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    A 1921 Morgan. It's a two-headed magicians piece.

It comes in handy at work: "Your idea is interesting but let's flip to see which way to go. Heads we go with my plan, tails we go with yours."
  • Options
    I'd lose my head if it weren't attached. I can't imagine keeping track of a coin like that!

God bless America image

• Options
    I carry a worn out 1878 Morgan that my Grandfather carried in his pocket for many years. It makes me feel good.
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    1952 Franklin half. Wound up in an air tite somehow and I can't get it out.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    This is a Diamond Jubilee that my father carried around as his pocket piece. I kept it in a 2X2 for the last 20 yrs. It's now a pocket piece again as of today.

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    1963 10 centimes (France)
    1983 5 yen (Japan) on my key ring.
  • Options
    I carry a 1946 Walker. I love the sound of that silver coin.image
  • Options
    SylvestiusSylvestius Posts: 1,584
    1697 English silver half crown
    167X English gold half guinea

that's all i'm carrying around with me at present. I've retired my 1921 morgan dollar.
  • Options
    I carry a 2000 D Sac. I have carried it since 2000. I wanted to see how one of these new coins would wear and change color in everyday use.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    How is the experiment going?
  • Options
    I carry a 1934 S Peace Dollar that would be vf-ef if it werent for the fact that some idiot tooled the reverse right on the feathers. But it makes a good pocket "peace" and an excellent card protector.
  • Options
    I carry around a 1930 British six pence.

It's kind of my good luck piece...other than the fact it has an FW stamped into the head of Georgivs Rex (my initials).

Other than that, I used to carry around a 1915 S Barber half and various mercury dimes.

Fred
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I carry a 1934 S Peace Dollar that would be vf-ef if it werent for the fact that some idiot tooled the reverse right on the feathers. But it makes a good pocket "peace" and an excellent card protector. >>

What's a "card protector"?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I carry a 1934 S Peace Dollar that would be vf-ef if it werent for the fact that some idiot tooled the reverse right on the feathers. But it makes a good pocket "peace" and an excellent card protector. >>

What's a "card protector"? >>

Poker image

• Options
    card protector is something that is used when playing poker, especially hold em....you place the coin, chip, stone, whatever over your cards and they cannot be unintentionally "mucked" or folded.
  • Options
    MoneyCollectorMoneyCollector Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    I carry an '89-O Morgan that is extremely worn, the rims are gone and even "Liberty" is worn. You can still make out the date though. Must have been a previous pocket piece before I got it. I also have a bicentennial Ike that is starting to wear but this thing is gonna take some time. Also have a Sac but I think its down in my car seat somewhere. Coins are always sliding out of my pockets in the car.

Every now and then when I pull out change at the store these start up a conversation with someone.

Randy
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i used to carry a one cent massachusetts 1787/88? colonial copper coin as a kid and i lost it in a creek i crossed over 35 years ago and never have carried a pocket piece ever since

choice unc.!! no less
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the past 8 years I've been carrying around two Ike dollars. The're down to VF now. I'm suprised how slow the wear process is for these coins. Would a silver Morgan dollar wear down faster in the same enviornment? I am also carrying around a Sac dollar which is now a dirty brown color and fairly unattractive.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    2000 SAE. Don't carry it as much as my wife keeps complaining about finding it in the washing machine.
    Mark
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my current one:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file