Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's your favorite U.S. Mint and why?

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
U.S. Mints
C - Charlotte, North Carolina
CC - Carson City, Nevada
D - Dahlonega, Georgia
D - Denver, Colorado
0 - New Orleans, Louisiana
P - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
S - San Francisco, California
W - West Point, New York
M - Manila, Philippines

Out of all the U.S. Mints, I like the Philadelphia Mint. Most of the coins I really like the most in my collection have been struck there.

I live in New York, so that's the closest mint to me (besides West Point) that has produced coins for circulation and for collectors. Also, classic proof coinage was struck there in the 19th century. There was a total of 4 Philadelphia Mints.

I have to say, I like the second Philadelphia Mint the most because all the Philadelpha Mint issues of the Liberty Seated half dollar series was struck at that mint from 1839-1891.

Comments

  • Options
    CC, the initials speak for themselves and always get a look from myself.
  • Options
    I like the Denver mint. They seem scarce out here in NC and it's always a joy to see a D mint in change for a change. Most of my stuff is from Philly. All the other stuff is San Fran.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always romanticized the O mint, but then again there were times they couldn't mint a coin worth beans, so who knows...
    mirabela
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    San Francisco because it has great history with the quake. Besides, that S mint mark has always held some magic since I was a kid.

    I've got to root for Dahlonega too since I'm a Southerner by birth.

    EDITED to add that while Louisiana is a part of the South, New Orleans is really it's own country so it sort of doesn't count as the South.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Carson City of course...The intrigue. The mystique. Its Location (Wild West era). The value of the CC Morgan Dollars after time.image



    Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    Lived in New Orleans most of my life, so I guess I will go with that one. Defunct mints have got to be favorites since they are not accessible by everyone. Carson City will be one coin I have in my collection.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570 ✭


    CC image
    image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭
    philly

    most all of the early proofs minted there the first mint flowing hair halves minted there same with bust halves and chain and liberty cap large cents all the proof civil war gold etc

    looks like a no brainer for me
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016 ✭
    O mint for me...It's simply the coolest
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it is a toss-up between Dahlonega and New Orleans, but I would have to give the slight edge to Dahlonega. Building and maintaining a backwater (even then) facility, linked to an early 19th century gold rush and the Trail of Tears on one end and the Civil War on the other with a lot of political intrigue, corruption, and conflict in between is all quite fascinating to me.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345 ✭
    P, the mother of them all.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977 ✭
    Dahlonega. Its a "neighborhood" thing. In fact I'm heading out the door in that direction to do some hiking in the area. Maybe I'll kick over a rock or two and find some gold just as Benny Parks did in 1828.image
  • Options
    I'm a Southern mint guy, New Orleans, Dahlonega, and Charlotte.

    AlaBill
    ...AlaBill
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the earlier issues Denver is my favorite but for coins minted since 1968 it
    would have to be Philly. When proof set production was tranferred to San Fran-
    cisco it highlighted many things about the Philadelphia mint that weren't obvious
    before. They really were the mother mint and they could turn out vast numbers
    of coins. The average quality of these coins was far lower than other mints but
    the best quality not only rivaled the others but usually exceeded them. The add-
    ition of the Philly mint mark in 1979/'80 on most coins highlighted another problem
    that many observers had long suspected; that mint mark errors were not uncom-
    mon. Several proof coins had inadvertantly already been struck in San Francisco
    without mintmarks but in '82 Philly left it off of a production die and at least 10,000
    coins got out. There are cases that production figures and what's actually found in
    circulation don't jive and it's frequently the Philly mint coins which are over repre-
    sented. In one case (1971 quarters) the Philly coins are underrepresented and
    one is left to wonder if some Denver dies might have been used in Philadelphia.

    It's not only the fact that this mint makes some of the finest coins in recent years or
    that the quality range is so huge in the coins they make, it's also the fact that they
    have prepared so many of the dies and can change so quickly. Mint directors are
    close to this mint and this drives their perceptions much more than any other.
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Dahlonega even though I don't even collect the coins that came from there. Interestingly enough (and ironically enough) my great 3X grandfather died because of the 1830 Act that removed him from his home in North Georgia as an effect of white people figuring out what the Cherokee had known for years - there was gold in "them thar' hills." Chief Pathkiller, my thrice removed grandfather died of disease while moving Westward with his family, which included his daughter and eventual white husband, my twice removed grandparents.

    All this aside, the rarity of having a "D" mint gold coin, the history of the mint, and the fact that it shut down because of secession all make it an intriguing place.

    Added: Another interesting thing about Chief Pathkiller is that he has two grave markers, in two different states. There is a supposed burial spot in North Georgia, and another near Chattanooga in Tennessee. Nobody knows for sure which of the two actually contains his remains, or whether either of them do. We have traced the Claybough family back to him, East Tennessee, and North Georgia, but have been unable to trace it farther back. Most of the information we do have to date is thanks to (ironically again) the U.S. Government's insistence on creating the Dawes List, a roll of all successful emigrants to the West and their descendants, which is archived in Dah'le-quah (Talequah), Cherokee Nation...recognized as Eastern Oklahoma.

    The Dawes List traces downward through generations until 1914. The 285,000 records are for those who received land as raparation fron the US, and my Great Grandfather is listed. To continue the number, you take the last known listing, and trace it downward using the sequential number in children that trace your direct line. I used to have my Dawes list number memorized, I had to go look it up for this. My great grandmother is listed as 16321 in the by-blood list. I am 112 from that line using the system, though I am of course not listed.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

    My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
    image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say O mint coins. Somehting about the Big O that I like seeing when I flip em over.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Charlotte. I'm hoping that I can swing some southern gold this year.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Despite the intrigue with the Carson City Mint, they never minted any half dimes there, so it does not hold that much intrigue with me. Same can be said for the Dahlonega, Charlotte, West Point, Manilla, and Denver Mints. Of the three that did produce half dimes, Philadelphia has the longest and most interesting history, and produced all of the dies, even for the branch Mints, so Philadelphia gets my vote (at least the first and second Philadelphia Mints).
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I think D (south version) is coolest. Charlotte is cool because it doesn't get much attention.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    The Carson City mint, of course. I live in CC and the mint building was one of my regular hangouts while growing up. There is a cool replica mine in the basement and if you were quiet, you could ditch school there.image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭

    coppercoins,

    That's a great story.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC- Morgans minted from there (and San Fran) actually circulated in the Wild West. There's history there. As opposed to P and O minted Morgans that accumulated in mint vaults. Denver came in too late in the Morgan game to have any bearing.

    This is a great thread. Wish they were all like this...

    image
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

    "Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."


    ~Wayne
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool thread, and an intersting story coppercoins


    I think it's a toss up for me. D or S ... or CC or O or the other D or C or P ... or ... haha

    I was born in Denver and really love the D mints from the earlier part of the 20th Century (through the 1930's)

    As a native and long-time West Coaster, I also love the intrigue and prominent position in West Coast history surrounding the San Francisco mint.

    For that matter the Carson City Mint holds a lot of "West Coast" lore.


    Of course, the history of all the mints and there place in there respective regions, and in our countries "great experiment" makes it hard for me to say if I have a true single favorite.


    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the userid says it all!!

    Charlotte Gold Rules!
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146 ✭
    CC mint for the intrigue and history (old west)
    W for its less than common availibility
    P for its amount of errors and varities

    C and D gold coins are very fasinating to me also though i own nary a coin from those mints.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977 ✭
    Just got back from my hike in the Dahlonega "Neighborhood". For anyone interested, the only thing I found under the rocks was mud, no gold. That Benny Parks was one lucky feller. Thought about this thread on the way home so I decided to drive past Price Memorial Hall, the North Georgia College Admin Building that sits on the original foundation of the US Mint.image
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Southern Branch Mints are a close second but my first choice is Carson City.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536 ✭
    The Dalles, Oregon
  • Options
    CoppernicusCoppernicus Posts: 1,764 ✭
    I collect MS Lincoln wheats so it's got to be San Francisco. Many low mintages and to this day when I'm searching through a bag of coins, the "s" Lincoln always grabs my eye, even if it's a common one from the 40's ot 50's.

    If I specialized in some other series, I would probably have a different favorite (CC is always interesting....)

    Mike
    Coppernicus

    Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>The Dalles, Oregon >>



    Is that a mint wannabe?
    image

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file