Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever been awe-inspired by meeting a famous numismatist?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I met Doug Winter we had a very nice conversation.

I was admittedly a bit nervous the first time I had met DW. We had previously talked on the phone, but we got together for dinner when he was in town for a show. He's a great guy, and if my memory serves me, we probably talked coins and the coin biz a third of the time and other interests (sports, travel, etc.) the rest.

But it occurs to me that the Coin Collecting community is a pretty small group. Virtually every "big name" you can think of is accessable for a couple of reasons...

Excellent points. It does not serve the interests of the prominent numismatists to avoid the public. Instead, it usually helps them to embrace the public.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

But the most awe inspring numismatist for me ? Emory Mae Norweb. What a real collector! I was fortunate enough to absorb much of what she personally taught me. >>

This just sounds so wrong!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>or throw undergarments >>

You have much to learn about the HepKitty...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got to speak with J.T. Stanton a few times, I even arranged for my company to use him to print our NCR forms (back when you still had to fill out orders by hand intriplicate). I also met John Wexler at a show and gave him some examples of a new RPM that eventually wound up in Coin World. Some names on my short list of people I'd love to meet some day: Bill Fivaz, Fred Weinberg, and QDB.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    no
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Never met one.
  • Options
    Has anyone else met a famous numismatist and been inspired?

Everytime I go to a coin show, I have to go and see Q. D. Bowers. I like to listen to his stories and, boy!, does he have stories! I look forward to purchasing all his books and read them from cover to cover. He is a good guy!

Fred
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I have never met QDB in person, even though I read a ton of his books and traded a few emails with him. I wonder if he realizes he's as popular as a rock star?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awe inspired, by a coin dealer....image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    photogphotog Posts: 242 ✭✭
    I'm not sure how aware Dave is of his status, though he gets fan mail like you wouldn't believe.
    We have to be professionals when we are out in public, but let me tell you- I work with QDB, Frank Van Valen (old uncle uh-uh here on the boards), John Kraljevich (pistareen), John Pack, Rick Bagg- and what a funny, FUNNY group of people. If you ever get a chance to just "hang out" with one of our employees, take the chance (like maybe at a summer seminar). Dave says things on a daily basis which have us in hysterics, and Frank is a regular entertainer. The funny emails that pass around, the stories told in our kitchen- working here is priceless. I am very, very spoiled.
    On the other hand, having grown up around these people (being Frank's daughter and all) I am not awed by any of them. I've met all sorts of respected, talented, knowledgeable numies (even Walter Breen) and have enjoyed meeting most of them simply because of their personalities. While I am not bowled over with excitement, working in the field I certainly respect each and every one of them for their contributions.

Jenna
    ANR
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 8:52AM

@Pistareen said:
    My big awe-inspiring day was the first day of the 1989 ANA in Pittsburgh, getting to meet my (then) three favorite numismatic authors in one day: Scott Travers, Dave Bowers, and Walter Breen. After meeting Scott and Dave, I thought that my numismatic heros were really pretty normal and down-to-earth folks. Then I met Walter, and that idea went out the window!

I remember that 1989 convention very clearly, mostly because of all the "famous" people I'd heard about that I got to actually meet there: John Ford, John Pittman, Don and Helen Carmody, Bill Fivaz, and more. In the end, with a lot of them, as I got to know them the awe turned to regular old friendship.

Probably the two people I'm still awe-struck by are John Ford (whose phone conversations always required a notepad nearby to write down all the fantastic stuff he would tell you) and Eric Newman, who was a young boy in St. Louis when Lewis and Clark passed through town. They're both legends who remind me how little I know about esoteric US numismatics (sorry Kranky -- I'm a few steps down the food chain from these guys!).

My advice to those of you who may find yourself awestruck the first time you meet the numismatic greats of our age: strike up a conversation, and feel free to talk about things other than coins. They're all pretty normal folks. Except QDB. No one who can write that many books in a year can be called normal!

Regarding meeting non-numismatic heros, when I met Pete Rose he looked like a guy who had just woken up from a 10 hour drive on a Greyhound. I was underwhelmed. But meeting the Dalai Lama lived up to the hype.

Wow, great post John!

You've met lots of numismatic and non-numismatic greats! Lots of great names in your experiences!

PS: Just ran across this thread while searching for Helen Carmody.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sitting down with Eric Newman for the first time was like being in a time warp. He was 98, and still a force of nature.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t really talked to many famous coin people. I likely never will as I don’t run in those circles. But to this day the only person I’ve met and talked to who made me feel a bit star struck is John Stott.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 9:28AM

@Coinosaurus said:
    Sitting down with Eric Newman for the first time was like being in a time warp. He was 98, and still a force of nature.

That is amazing! Hearing about things from so long ago and to see how their perspective changes or not over time.

What were the most interesting things discussed?

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Early American Coppers convention was in St Louis one year and Eric Newman hosted a two part open house at his museum/library. Half of the group went before dinner the other half after. We went through the displays and the library was open for our perusal. After we came out Mr Newman was seated in the lobby taking questions and talking to us. He began asking collectors what their favorite book was in the library. Many different responses were offered based on the interest of the individual collector. Plated Chapman’s, original Browning quarters and numerous famous large cent books and auctions were popular responses. When it was my turn I mentioned his Wooten desk. Mr Newman was intrigued with my response and asked me if I knew Wooten. I responded that I had only heard of them and seen photos in auction catalogs and that his was the first I had met. No matter what was your favorite item, a good time was had by all.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 10:06AM

After Long Beach I once had dinner with Rick Snow and several other numismatists/collectors at Kurt Vs house! It was an epic end to a really cool trip and my first LB show. I was smiling so much from amazement and excitement that my face hurt for two days. I believe I met Fred Weinberg on the bourse floor too. I have a many left on my “hope to meet list” a few of which are; Fivaz, Flynn, Wiles, Wexler, Bowers, Yeoman, Carr, and some characters from this forum.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met Art Kagin at a show in the early 80s when I was in high school. I used to get all the coin publications and knew he was a "big time" dealer. Being a cocky teenager, I told him I was a dealer - I had run a small classified ad in Coins magazine. Turns out he was very friendly, offered me good advice, and cut me a deal on some FBL Franklins (which I made a few bucks selling at the local coin club). What a nice guy spending his time talking to a kid. He could have just ignored me

That was 40 years ago and I still remember it

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2022 4:39AM

Yes.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Met Walter Breen, Bill Fivaz, and Ken Bresset during an ANA seminar many years ago. Bill taught a grading class, what a super and enthusiastic guy. Ken was gracious and has a great sense of humor. Super ambassadors.

Breen was another story. Had lunch with him and my new coins brothers. Roger Cohen had recently died and Breen said something very close to "good riddance to bad rubbish". The two the were at odds over something, probably to do with half cents, but really? Came off as a total jerk in all respects.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meeting Eric P. Newman in his library was very impressive. I got to go there were EAC held its convention in St. Louis.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thread 17 years old. Cool. But something that gets me every time. I think I’m here and now and then discover I’m just entering back and then.
    I really need to check the dates on the threads. 😂🙀🦫 so famous folks in numismatics. Not in person but I’m impressed with a number of people here 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Thread 17 years old. Cool. But something that gets me every time. I think I’m here and now and then discover I’m just entering back and then.
    I really need to check the dates on the threads. 😂🙀🦫 so famous folks in numismatics. Not in person but I’m impressed with a number of people here 😉

Thank you! ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    when I met Pete Rose he looked like a guy who had just woken up from a 10 hour drive on a Greyhound. I was underwhelmed. But meeting the Dalai Lama lived up to the hype.

John - I'm still having trouble envisioning Walter Breen, Pete Rose and the Dalai Lama all in the same room. But the funny thing is, my lack of imagination aside, it completely wouldn't surprise me if you were there with them.

Okay, someone finish this joke: "Walter Breen, Pete Rose and the Dalai Lama walk into a bar. The Dalai Lama orders a ..."

But seriously, the one meeting that to this day still makes my head spin is when I met Eric Newman in St. Louis. I think he was 98 at the time. We talked for quite a bit, and WOW--what a legend. I was long a fan, having studied his works on colonial currency and Fugio cents. Back then I was mostly a pre-Federal dealer and collector. We literally just bumped into each other. Keep in mind folks that Mr. Newman actually ATTENDED the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis. True story.

Similar experience meeting Dave Bowers at a show in Chicago. He was kind enough to discuss coins with me (I had some questions). Extremely down to earth, friendly and (of course) incredibly knowledgeable.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get to work coin shows with John Roberts and JP Martin, and that's pretty cool. I always learn something.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have met quite a few famous numismatists :) They are just people like you and I.

What awes me is when a famous numismatist knows who I am :o

• Options

@numisma said:
    But seriously, the one meeting that to this day still makes my head spin is when I met Eric Newman in St. Louis. I think he was 98 at the time. We talked for quite a bit, and WOW--what a legend. I was long a fan, having studied his works on colonial currency and Fugio cents. Back then I was mostly a pre-Federal dealer and collector. We literally just bumped into each other. Keep in mind folks that Mr. Newman actually ATTENDED the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis. True story.

That would have been quite a trick, since Newman was born in 1911. His parents attended, however. You may have been thinking of Bob Hendershott, another famous numismatist, who did attend the World's Fair (and wrote a book about the related memorabilia).

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Coinosaurus said:

That is amazing! Hearing about things from so long ago and to see how their perspective changes or not over time.

What were the most interesting things discussed?

The choice quotes are all in the book (https://coins.ha.com/itm/books/truth-seeker-the-life-of-eric-p-newman-softcover-/i/960011799.s). The sense I had was like I was talking to one of my grandparents, which was really weird because they had all been gone for a long time by then.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 1:18PM

@Coinosaurus said:

@numisma said:

That would have been quite a trick, since Newman was born in 1911. His parents attended, however. You may have been thinking of Bob Hendershott, another famous numismatist, who did attend the World's Fair (and wrote a book about the related memorabilia).

You are right! It was Bob Hendershott. There was a major auction of St. Louis World's Fair memorabilia at the time. I think it was his collection, right? Thank you for jogging my memory. Didn't Hendershott lived to be 104?

But I did meet Mr. Newman on the same day. It was the show at airport Hilton. That was always a great show venue.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool old thread. I've met some people who are coin rockstars in my mind. Many of them post here or used to.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Meeting Eric P. Newman in his library was very impressive. I got to go there were EAC held its convention in St. Louis.

I've mentioned this before. I worked for Eric P Newman when I lived in St Louis. I didn't collect coins at the time and had zero clue he did either

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never.

Maybe I'm just weird, but to me, they're just another person.

My true passion is golf and if I was to meet Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus, I would certainly be happy, but still not 'awe-inspired'.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

No coin dealer or coin collector would inspire awe in me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

Who would or could?

• Options

@BustDMs said:
    The Early American Coppers convention was in St Louis one year and Eric Newman hosted a two part open house at his museum/library. Half of the group went before dinner the other half after. We went through the displays and the library was open for our perusal. After we came out Mr Newman was seated in the lobby taking questions and talking to us. He began asking collectors what their favorite book was in the library. Many different responses were offered based on the interest of the individual collector. Plated Chapman’s, original Browning quarters and numerous famous large cent books and auctions were popular responses. When it was my turn I mentioned his Wooten desk. Mr Newman was intrigued with my response and asked me if I knew Wooten. I responded that I had only heard of them and seen photos in auction catalogs and that his was the first I had met. No matter what was your favorite item, a good time was had by all.

These stories are awesome.

I never met Eric but I do admire him enough to add this to my collection:

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

i presume you mean from purely a numismatic aspect.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some numismatists are more well known than others, but I wouldn’t call any of them famous.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can just read their writings and be awe inspired. To have access to famed coin people in today's world is quite amazing, considering the old days.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the usually satirical nature of Longacres posts, this was probably a set up to spoof the whole idea of being in awe of "famous" numismatists...
    There are fan boys out there for everything I'm sure, but coins nerds?
    I wouldn't know a famous numimatist if I saw one.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2022 10:04AM

The only person (who I've met in person) that comes to mind and impressed me enough to mention, was when I got to meet researcher, author, teacher and numismatist David McCarthy, at the ANA Convention, a few years back. He knew who I was from these boards. He was very down to earth, friendly, polite and super knowledgeable. I could have talked to him for hours. He eventually became busy with other people, so I wasn't selfish in regards to the time that he gave he. He's a good dude.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numisma said:

But he was born in 1911.

I would be hard pressed to say I was awe-inspired by meeting a famous numismatist. I've met some, and they have ranged from creepy to stand-offish to friendly in person. I'd rather be awe-inspired by their contributions to the hobby rather than their persona.

This encounter, however, makes me think regardless of your hobby, meeting someone who has been active in it for 3+ generations and that you could relate to would be pretty awe-inspiring.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only one I'll ever find awe-inspiring is my LORD!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

@messydesk Yes, I corrected that after @Coinosaurus refreshed my old memory.

I met Bob Hendershott the same day as Mr. Newman. They were both at the St. Louis show where they were selling Hendershott's 1904 World's Fair collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file