Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever been awe-inspired by meeting a famous numismatist?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I was reading the new $3 gold book by Bowers/Winter (sorry, RYK image ) and Winter mentioned in the introduction that in the 1970's he met Thurmon Munson from the New York Yankees, and about a week later, he met Q. David Bowers for the first time. Winter stated that he was more awe inspired by meeting Bowers than with meeting Munson! I thought that was a great comment and goes to show the importance of great numismatists. Although I consider the Yankees to be the center of the baseball universe (and New York in general), I thought it was really interesting.

Has anyone else met a famous numismatist and been inspired?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Does MadMarty count? If so, then no, I wasn't really inspired.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I get to talk to Marty on the phone. That's as close as I've come to anybody famous.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I've never met anybody hardly.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wrote to MadMarty once and am always going into shops right after he left. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Madmarty pm'd me shortly after I started, I haven't washed my screen since.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>and am always going into shops right after he left. >>

Man, that would be depressing.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meeting no famous numismatist (dead or alive) would ever come close to my eighth birthday, the summer after the Immaculate Reception, when Franco Harris showed up at my birthday party!

I think that changes in the media, the internet, and dissemination of information, plus maturity image, make me less prone to be awestruck when I finally meet Russ. I will make sure that I am sitting down, just in case.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    RYK, having Franco at your birthday party must have been something! Man!

I got to say hello to QDB at a show but what I really would have liked is to have the chance to shoot the breeze with him. Another guy it would be great to have the chance to sit down and chat with is Pistareen. Once at the ANA Summer Seminar I eavesdropped on a conversation he was having with Ken Bressett in the ANA Library about colonial contemporary counterfeits and I remember thinking just how little I really know about US coinage.

In fact, that's one of the great things about the ANA Summer Seminar. You can sit down and have a meal with people like Doug Winter, Rick Snow, James Wiles, njcoincrank, etc. When else would an average collector ever get a chance like that?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I had about 35 numismatists from this forum at a dinner last August, if that counts!image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    ksteelheader, that dinner was a blast, wasn't it?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>ksteelheader, that dinner was a blast, wasn't it? >>

A BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!

• Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    My big awe-inspiring day was the first day of the 1989 ANA in Pittsburgh, getting to meet my (then) three favorite numismatic authors in one day: Scott Travers, Dave Bowers, and Walter Breen. After meeting Scott and Dave, I thought that my numismatic heros were really pretty normal and down-to-earth folks. Then I met Walter, and that idea went out the window!

I remember that 1989 convention very clearly, mostly because of all the "famous" people I'd heard about that I got to actually meet there: John Ford, John Pittman, Don and Helen Carmody, Bill Fivaz, and more. In the end, with a lot of them, as I got to know them the awe turned to regular old friendship.

Probably the two people I'm still awe-struck by are John Ford (whose phone conversations always required a notepad nearby to write down all the fantastic stuff he would tell you) and Eric Newman, who was a young boy in St. Louis when Lewis and Clark passed through town. They're both legends who remind me how little I know about esoteric US numismatics (sorry Kranky -- I'm a few steps down the food chain from these guys!).

My advice to those of you who may find yourself awestruck the first time you meet the numismatic greats of our age: strike up a conversation, and feel free to talk about things other than coins. They're all pretty normal folks. Except QDB. No one who can write that many books in a year can be called normal!

Regarding meeting non-numismatic heros, when I met Pete Rose he looked like a guy who had just woken up from a 10 hour drive on a Greyhound. I was underwhelmed. But meeting the Dalai Lama lived up to the hype.
  • Options
    Got to talk with Wayne Miller...THEE man for Morgan Dollars, on the phone once.
  • Options
    image I get to talk to myself an awful lot...does that count?
    The Deacon Moves In!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Remember I'm a WANNABE WANNABE! I met Laura once, but she was far too busy to even talk to me!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>Remember I'm a WANNABE WANNABE! I met Laura once, but she was far too busy to even talk to me!! >>

Apparently smoebody likes you!!!

• Options
    I recently made a trip up to Washington State to visit relatives.

I had thoughts of stopping in to see Russ but, the closer i got to Kent the more sweaty my palms got and the more nervous i got. image

The thought of meeting the Kennedy GOD face to face was just too much for me to bear. image

and besides, i hear he has weapons.............. image

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my best buddies, who collected in the 60's and early 70's and bought a lot of material from Bowers and Ruddy, and I attended the Rosemount show last Summer or was it September? Anyway, Q. David Bowers was supposed to be there, but there was just one lady at the ANR booth when we arrived. I figured Mr. Bowers was at the auction which was going on at that time. I was looking at some of the printed materials for a few minutes and when I looked up, I was staring right in Dave's face.

I've read and heard about Dave for over 40 years and this old 60 year old guy must have looked like a school kid when I said, "Q. David Bowers! I'd like to shake your hand." He offered us a seat and we sat and chatted like we'd known each other for years. Very pleasant and we learned a few things too.

Our wives thought we were a little goofy when we came back and said meeting Dave was the highlite of the show for us. A close 2nd was seeing a proof 1895 Morgan, a MS66 (or 67?) 16-D Mercury dime and a MS65 1798 Bust Dollar all in the same case.

Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    The ones I've met in person were very aloof.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    I got to wash Mr. Platinum's car.

Eric
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    I remember the first time I met the "Legend" herself, Ms Laurie Sperber. After I introduced myself she turned to me and said these awe inspiring words.... "oh no, what do you want, I'm busy!"
  • Options
    I wanna meet Mad Marty
  • Options

<< <i>I wanna meet Mad Marty >>

3 Jonesy Dammit Girls...CLW POTD!!! 10/9/05 image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's easy. If you really hurry up and go to almost any coin shop, he'll be the one walking out.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I've never met ANYONE that I thought was awe-inspiring, inspiring or even impressive when it involves just about anything. Maybe I just don't care enough about a lot of stuff. The only person that impressed me was the last doctor that operated on me and removed all the cancer. I used to work in a building that housed a TV station and there was always a lot of important people in the bar on the main floor. That bar even at one time had a newly starting out singer/piano player named Barry Mantilow. Not really impressed with all that either. As to a numismatist, I guess I am a little impressed with a guy at the flea market that is well into his 70's and still buying and selling coins. but nothing really awe-inspiring
    Carl
  • Options

<< <i>

That's easy. If you really hurry up and go to almost any coin shop, he'll be the one walking out. >>

So I've heard....imageimage
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's easy. If you really hurry up and go to almost any coin shop, he'll be the one walking out. >>

So I've heard....imageimage >>

Peg, you will never meet me! Because I'm the one stalking you!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I met John Kraljevich (Pistareen) was pretty awe inspiring. He may not be famous yet but he certainly will be!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

So I've heard....imageimage >>

Peg, you will never meet me! Because I'm the one stalking you!! >>

Can I stalk you then? image
  • Options

<< <i>The first time I met John Kraljevich (Pistareen) was pretty awe inspiring. He may not be famous yet but he certainly will be! >>

Just having Pistareen respond to one of my inane Colonial posts was inspiring to me.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>I remember the first time I met the "Legend" herself, Ms Laurie Sperber. After I introduced myself she turned to me and said these awe inspiring words.... "oh no, what do you want, I'm busy!" >>

The time I met the Legend, she took one look at me and asked "Federal, state or local?"

• Options
    was cruising the bourse at LB about 88-89 with my buddy Matt,long gray haired guy about 10 ft in front of us wearing a tie died tee shirt,i says to Matt "Does Haight Ashbury come to mind ?" Guy in front spins around and says "I was there ! "

I almost pooped my levis, it was Walter frickin Breen !

Talked for about 10 minutes.
  • Options

<< <i>singer/piano player named Barry Mantilow. Not really impressed with all that either. >>

Nobody is.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

The question was "numismatist" not "numismatute"!image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the day that I can meet Greg "free flips" T. Great... I want to meet either him or Jim Beeyou from The Coin Vault.

Those will surely be days to remember!
    Tim
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911

<< <i>

<< <i>singer/piano player named Barry Mantilow. Not really impressed with all that either. >>

Nobody is.

Russ, NCNE >>

• Options
    image Say, who is this Pistareen guy anyway?
    The Deacon Moves In!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not met any famous coin collector yet, and if I did I probably would not faint like a fan who caught a sweat soaked hanky thrown into the crowd by Elvis.

In the 1970's I played basketball in high school and college. While doing so I met and played hoops with some NBA players. I was and am amazed by how good they are (god given athletic ability, hard work and mental toughness) but they are like anyone else and have the same human strengths and weaknesses (physical, meidical, emotional, psychological, moral, spiritual, etc.). Some are great persons, some are scumbags. Same thing with lawyers (my current occupation).

The flip side of being awe inspired is being disgusted. I have met many people, especially in my legal work, that have nothing good or positive about them. Quite the opposite frankly and after meeting them I am reminded that "pure evil" does exist.

In that vein, I heard a story from a dealer I know about the infamous Walter Breen. Years ago at a large show, the dealer attended with his young son. The boy went to use the bathroom and other dealers advised his father to go get his son immediately (which he did). Seems that Mr. Breen was using the facilities at the same time. Talk about creepy. Though many say Mr. Breen's private troubles should not tarnish his professional work, I find it difficult to do so now, years after his death. It would have been impossible to do so when he was alive. My sitting down and talking coins with him or doing business with him simply would have never happened.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had Q. David Bowers sign my greysheet..............Man, I am such a coin geek.imageimage
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Chatted with Breen once, pre all his troubles ... in college, used to hang out at a bar in Bloomington, Ind., called the Bluebird. They regularly would have some beginning singer/guitarist who would come over to your table after a set and let you pour him a beer from your pitcher ... the guy went on to do pretty well for himself: John Mellencamp.
  • Options

<< <i>image Say, who is this Pistareen guy anyway? >>

Some coin geek who, with his father, used to hang out with some second-rate drag racer whose name escapes me.image

Eric
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not coin collectors that I am aware of, however I once saw Bozz Scaggs and also once saw Huey Lewis.

Bozz Scaggs I ran into when I was in law school in Sacramento sometime in between late 1979 and early 1981. Out late in Old Sacramento on a Saturday night. My friends and I had been drinking beer at Fannie Ann's and left at about 1:00 a.m. We did not want to go home yet so we stopped by a small bar a couple of doors down. Live music, played by none other Bozz Scaggs. About a dozen people listening. What a treat.

Huey Lewis I ran into at the SF Airport. I was returning home from a flight and was walking through a corridor to the parking garage. Huey Lewis was walking from the garage to the terminal. Decked out in a black boots, black jeans, black turtleneck T-shirt and a deep purple sport coat. I could not believe how short and petite the guy is. He looked about 5'4" and about 120 lbs. TVfilmvideos sure make him look larger than life.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when I met Pete Rose he looked like a guy who had just woken up from a 10 hour drive on a Greyhound. I was underwhelmed. But meeting the Dalai Lama lived up to the hype.

John - I'm still having trouble envisioning Walter Breen, Pete Rose and the Dalai Lama all in the same room. But the funny thing is, my lack of imagination aside, it completely wouldn't surprise me if you were there with them.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    The first time I met Doug Winter we had a very nice conversation. On the other hand, when I met QDB I was totally tongue-tied and could barely choke out my question!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was stationed in Great Falls MT over the last few years and working on my Morgan Dollars, I drove to Helena MT and met Wayne Miller. I ended up going to his store several times and actually bought all but 2 of my (now complete) Morgans from him. He was very nice and helpful to me as a newbie collector, and helped me enormously in understanding some of the nuances of grading, along with what to look for in a coin.

Steve
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    My hero would be you, Mike. Remember the deal: I take you out to play golf, in exchange you tell me everything you know about gold coins!
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The first time I met John Kraljevich (Pistareen) was pretty awe inspiring. >>

Mr. Boiler: This is a name-dropping thread. When you only have my name to drop, you need to get out of Indiana more!

My guess is that you were only awe-inspired because I offered to let the boss buy you, Rick, and I lunch. image

<< <i>John - I'm still having trouble envisioning Walter Breen, Pete Rose and the Dalai Lama all in the same room. >>

Andy: Next time I see you, remind me to tell you what it's like to be with Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama when one decides to play a joke on the other. (True story)
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    I've been attending the annual summer ANA since 1978 - I've met John Ford, Harry Bass, Ed Trumpetor, David Bowers to name a few - but probably the most memorable was Walter Breen" - He looked like something the cat drug in after a heavy night yowling. Before he got into trouble for his private (non-coin relatated) problems, he was a quite well respected numimatist - Unfortunately his personal difficulties have become so inter-woven with his character that most have lost respect for him as a person, and consequently as a numismatist also - a sad ending to a very knowledgeable person.

Forgot to mention, In the late 80's I met and shook hands with Mickey Mantle - I was in NY attending a coin Auction and the was a long break between the morning session and the the coins I was interested in. I had a late lunch and was walking along Central Park South when I cam eto the Restaurant called "Mickey Mantle's". I went in to get a couple of match books for my 12 year old son who collected baseball cards - At the Restaurant they sold post cards with Mickey Mantle's photo - the cost a buck - when I went to pay for them the nice young lady asked me If I'd like one with "Mr. Mantle's" autograph? I asked "How much" - she gave me a funny look and said - all you have to do is go in the back and ask him. So I did! He was sitting having a beer (one of many we found out several years later) with another former Yankee and I politely asked him if he would autograph the postcard for my son - Which he did - I told him that I grew up rooting for him in the 50's EXCEPT when the yankees played the Detroit Tigers - He kinda chuckled and said they had a couple of good pitchers on the Tigers - I said yes they did: Frank Lary and Jim Bunning - Mantle said Yep - both those guys struck me out more than once - I replied - Yeah - but you hit your share of home runs off of themand I also remarked that he was one of the few players who ever hit a ball out of Tiger (Briggs) stadium! When I asked him if he would autograph one for me - he did and when I reached for the card he shook my hand and asked if my son played baseball - Quite an experience and very unexpected. He had arms like stove pipes!
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw Eric Clapton from about the 200th row at the Hollywood Bowl.....Does that count? Probably not. image

But it occurs to me that the Coin Collecting community is a pretty small group. Virtually every "big name" you can think of is accessable for a couple of reasons:

- For the most part, they are in the public service business. Dealers, authors, company owners, what have you. Unlike Hollywood or major sports, they actually would be hurt by hiding from the public.

- In their daily life, they are totally anonymous. So they don't have the fear of the public that other "famous" people would be.

- Coin geeks don't scream, tear at their clothing, or throw undergarments at them. image

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got to meet Howard Cosell back in the pre ABC Monday Football era.

You can never forget his dialect. The perfect toupee even back then. He even dabbled with coin collecting.

But the most awe inspring numismatist for me ? Emory Mae Norweb. What a real collector! I was fortunate enough to absorb much of what she personally taught me.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file