Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newbie to forum

MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
Gentlemen: I am a newbie to this forum, having been directed here through a Google search on my favorite subject - US half dimes. I have actually seen my name invoked on a couple of past threads on that subject. I would like to contribute what I can, and to learn as much as possible from the veterans. I am a long time collector of United States half dimes of all series, and have assembled a large reference collection which is often helpful in answering specific questions on die marriages, die states, and other related subjects.

Quite a while back there was a question about the John Ward Dunsmore painting of "Inspecting the First Coins", and the few prints that were made of that painting. My name was mentioned as the author of an article in the John Reich Journal on that subject. I have information on the original painting, the subsequent prints that were made, and how anyone might obtain a copy of the JR Journal article, which contains a B&W copy of the print.

Also, in a previous thread, there was a question as to how to identify the small, medium and large O mint marks on the 1840-O No Drapery half dimes, for which I might also be able to provide some insight, assuming that question has not been adequately answered.
They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    First to say hello, welcome!

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    image and get ready to be bashed.image
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image always good to have new people
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Let me add my image to the boards.

It can get bumpy but is worth the ride.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    3 Jonesy Dammit Girls...CLW POTD!!! 10/9/05 image
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    image to the forum.
    Wayne
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice opening post. I look forward to learning smoething about half dimes. image
  • Options
    Grab ahold and hang on tight.
    24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not!
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    image and are there any internet images of the painting for those not familiar with it?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Mr. HalfDime.

Can I inquire as to why you did not choose to be "Mr. HalfDisme"?
  • Options
    Mr. Half Disme probably would have been a bit more classy, but Mr Half Dime is more inclusive.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Pharmer: I am not aware of any images of the Dunsmore painting posted on the Internet, but I will do a little searching and post it here if I find one. The painting is reproduced in B&W on the cover of Frank Stewart's book "History of the First United States Mint". It was also used as the cover illustration on the Heritage Philadelphia 2000 Signature Auction Sale catalog (August 6-7, 2000), although ironically they reproduced it backwards.

Steve Crain
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Newbie!!image
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>Pharmer: I am not aware of any images of the Dunsmore painting posted on the Internet, but I will do a little searching and post it here if I find one. The painting is reproduced in B&W on the cover of Frank Stewart's book "History of the First United States Mint". It was also used as the cover illustration on the Heritage Philadelphia 2000 Signature Auction Sale catalog (August 6-7, 2000), although ironically they reproduced it backwards.

Steve Crain >>

Thanks, btw love your books, esp The Red Badge of Courage
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    image from a Half Dime Proof lover!
  • Options
    Hey! There are ladies here too!!!!

Welcome!

Stacy
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A warm welcome. Speaking of half dimes, the current JRJ article on half dime cuds is fascinating.

Bill
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! Half dimes are one of my most favorite series, along with twenty cent pieces and silver three cents. Good to have you with us. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Hey Steve! Glad you made it image

<< <i>A warm welcome. Speaking of half dimes, the current JRJ article on half dime cuds is fascinating.

Bill >>

Still waiting on my new one...

Steve, mind checking with Brad again? Maybe chew his ass out? image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    Greetings, did I meet you at the Seated Liberty Club at the FUN show?
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    "Greetings, did I meet you at the Seated Liberty Club at the FUN show?"

Yes, I was there. I have been an LSCC member for about 20 years now. If you have not already done so, get your LSCC half dime census form to me. The census closes next week.

Steve Crain
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Here's a Big Fat Welcome to ya!image
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

Marc Vetsch
    They say you need to pray if you want to go to heaven.... but they don't tell you what to say when your whole life has gone to hell.
  • Options
    Hi Ya!! image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Fresh meat !

Seat Belts optional !

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Steve.
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Awesome! THE MAN has entered the building!

• Options
    Here's one your Familiar with

• Options
    imageWelcome aboard! I'm new to the forum as well. I just submitted a 1840-O to ANACS for grading and attribution. Even with some photo,s and reading about the different shapes and sizes of the mintmark I still was not 100% sure what it was. I'll let you know when I get it back. Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Welcome and great to have you here!! Lee

• Options
    another awesome half-dime from LeeG ......can't expect anything less!
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the welcome messages, and particularly for the nice images of half dimes posted. The 1839-O with the extensive reverse cuds posted by Purple 73 is a spectacular coin, and one that is known to me. The beautiful 1847 posted by LeeG is a magnificent example of the engraver's art, but unfortunately it is so perfect, it gives us few clues as to its identity.

And my most humble apologies to the ladies on this forum. When I first introduced myself to "Gentlemen", I was admonished that there are, indeed, ladies here, too. In a hobby dominated by old men, it is refreshing to have the ladies participating, and I did not mean to slight them.

Steve
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Apology acceptedimage And image
    Becky
  • Options
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pharmer: I am not aware of any images of the Dunsmore painting posted on the Internet, but I will do a little searching and post it here if I find one. The painting is reproduced in B&W on the cover of Frank Stewart's book "History of the First United States Mint". It was also used as the cover illustration on the Heritage Philadelphia 2000 Signature Auction Sale catalog (August 6-7, 2000), although ironically they reproduced it backwards.

Steve Crain >>

I found this...close enough?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Half-Dimes here yet...but I'm doing a type set so I'll be looking before too long...L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file