Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Barber Purchase... Get Your Saber Ready Tyler!

This one's REALLY tough in this grade. It replaces a borderline XF in my primary set.

Comments

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent looking half my friend.

Wish my set I am working on was EF, but alas to much money.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Cary, that's outstanding! Nice find!
  • Options
    In what grades are you trying to complete the set?
  • Options
    Full Obverse and Full Reverse Rims.

No rim nicks or bumps as well.

So nice VG basically

Sitting on 33/73 right now. With the 1892-S & 1914 in hand.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice half Cary. Looks like a solid XF45 at least. The hair detail below the ribbon looks AU. What did the seller grade it? That is a date that just never turns up original. I have seen many more XF 1904-S halves than I have the 97-O.

I would challenge you to find a 1904-O that looks like that, but you would probably do it within a month and I would have to run a saber through my chest, Hara-Kiri style in shame and disgrace. image

Congrats Cary,
    Tyler

• Options

<< <i>I would challenge you to find a 1904-O that looks like that, but you would probably do it within a month and I would have to run a saber through my chest, Hara-Kiri style in shame and disgrace. >>

Nah, it would only take me a few mintues actually. image This one's a little darker than the 97-O:

By the way, before you run that saber through your chest, make sure you include a line in your will about me getting your Barber Half collection. image
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man.......seeing a half dollar like that makes me semi-ill when I realize it's not in my collection, and probably never will be! Oh well, at least Tyler doesn't have it. That eases the pain (a little).

Boys, thats when a fifty cent piece was worth, well.... fifty cents!

(Nice Barber Cary! --- thanks for sharing)

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of Barbers:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....makes you wonder....

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's some nice looking dirt on that Barber.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    Keep upgrading, Cary & Tyler! Your duplicates make most of the best of my complete Barber Half set. I still have quite a few with either cleaning or weak reverse rims to replace.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a superb '97-O, Cary! Of my three '97-O Barber halves, my favorite is the one I bought from you.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Wow! What a GREAT looking 97-O! image Circulated, they get no more original or well-preserved than that. Must be a very gratifying piece to add to your collection. Congratulations.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    You all Barber people makes me sick image

Brian
  • Options
    Nice coin!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Great looking 97-O, Cary. Congratulations. Looks AU 50.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Make me feel bad for collecting VG coins only.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Cary,

That is a very nice and original coin that could easily grade AU53. What's remarkable is how you are able to find such treasures, seemingly so easily and quickly when the rest of us take years to find them. I agree with Tyler that the 97-O and 98-O and a few others are nearly impossible in EF to AU original with no cleaning.

Congratulations again.

Now about that 1898-O micro O ..........image
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a fabulous 97-o Half. great find, awsome eye-appeal!!!!

Jim d
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love a common date to look like that much less a 97-O
    Awesome Coinimage
  • Options
    Cary,

Very nice coin, I wish it was in my collection. I haven't had much luck lately with tough date Barber halves on Ebay. Missed on a 1897-o in PCGS, VF-35, and very recently a nice, 2 toned, 1904-o, PCGS, in VF-25. Oh well, maybe next time. Congrats again on this great coin.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I was shocked to find this date in this kind of original condition with the dirty toning that I prefer. Personally, I'd grade it a strong XF45, but I can easily see how some might consider it an AU piece. As far as how I'm able to find these nice looking pieces, I can tell you that sacrificing your firstborn to the Barber gods definitely helps! image

And believe me, Dave, I can understand about Tyler getting most of the nice ones. He beat me literally by less than a minute on a "Buy It Now" 1893-S XF45 on Ebay several months back. To this day, it kills me everytime I think about it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file